Delphi Program Running Under Windows 8 vs. Windows 7

If a program, created with D2007, runs fine under Windows 7, it should
run under Windows 8, correct?  It's basically the same Intel
architecture, right?

The program created with D2007 does nothing fancy - I'm no professional
programmer.

Installation may be slightly different - i.e., the installation program
may need some modifying I assume, to install under Windows 8.

I don't have Windows 8 right now, I'm just trying to gather some
information for a client.

Robert

Your program won't run only on Windows RT (ARM version of windows). On all other versions your program should run without problems. Probably even installer won't need any modifications.
0
Mikola
12/31/2012 10:50:36 AM
"Robert Lincoln" wrote on Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:42:09 -0800:

> If a program, created with D2007, runs fine under Windows 7, it should
> run under Windows 8, correct?  It's basically the same Intel
> architecture, right?

Obviously identical processor architecture is no guarantee of OS
compatibility.

There are always differences between Windows releases.  Even when MS
fixes a bug in Windows it can break code that relies on undocumented
buggy behavior.

Generally, though, if it runs on Windows 7 it will run on Windows 8.
(But not Windows RT.)  I have had to make very minor modifications to
one of my projects that uses IE windows -- but that is more of an
issue with IE than Windows versions.

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC

On 12/31/2012 2:50 AM, Mikola Petrivskiy wrote:
> Your program won't run only on Windows RT (ARM version of windows). On all other versions your program should run without problems. Probably even installer won't need any modifications.

0
Robert
12/31/2012 5:50:19 PM
What runs under Windows 7 would work under Windows 8 without any issue so you would not need to worry about that.
0
Edwin
12/31/2012 11:56:08 PM
"Edwin Lau" wrote on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:56:08 -0800:

> What runs under Windows 7 would work under Windows 8 without any issue so you would not need to worry about that.

While *generally* true, this is not by any means absolute.  There are
changes that can cause problems depending on what you are using.

For example, IE 10 fires status bar events differently then every
single release before it.  IE 10 is new to Windows 8.  Any application
designed around the way those events fired from any previous version
will need minor updates.

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC

Running Delphi program on Windows 8 [Edit]
OK, Got it working. Delphi 2010 compiles just fine for Windows 8. Edited by: Jeffrey Ottery on Aug 30, 2013 12:10 AM ...

Can Programs developed in Delphi 5 run on Windows 7? And upgradable to XE3?
We have a large client/server system developed 10 years ago using Delphi 5 running on Windows XP. We now need to upgrade the Operating System platform to Microsoft Windows 7 but found that the old system developed in Delphi 5 could not be installed in Microsoft Windows 7. Could any expert give answers to my 2 questions below? Appreciate a lot for your help. (1) Is it correct that Delphi 5 does not support Microsoft Windows 7 so programs developed in Delphi 5 cannot be installed and run in Microsoft Windows 7 environment? (2) Is it feasible and easy to upgrade the old programs develo...

Problem with viewing Windows SDK help files from Delphi 7 under Windows 7
Hi, I recently installed Delphi 7 on a Windows 8 machine putting it into a non-system folder. When I found that it wasn't displaying (Delphi) help files I downloaded and installed WinHlp32.exe from the MS website http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=91 and this solved the problem. But when I try to view the Windows SDK by selecting the appropriate menu item under the IDE Help menu I get the Winhelp runtime error message "Microsoft Help has stopped working". Can anyone suggest what needs to be done to be able to view the Windows SDK files that sh...

Delphi 7 won't run on Windows 7
I am building a new computer with windows 7. I downloaded the enterprise update to D7 that is susposed to run on WIndows 7. It seemed to install ok but when I start the program I get 2 errors - the first says that D7 is not compatible with Windows 7, I ignore that and then I get an error saying it can't rename delphi32.$$$ to delphi32.dro. What gives here? "Robert J. Reiley" wrote on Thu, 7 Jan 2010 07:48:34 -0800: > I am building a new computer with windows 7. I downloaded the enterprise update to D7 that is susposed to run on WIndows 7. It seemed to install ok but ...

Delphi 7 won't start up anymore on Windows 7 (except in Windows safe mode) [Edit]
I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition. Since four days Delphi will not start anymore. When I start, I see an entry "delph32.exe" in the Windows Task Manager (process tab, not application tab) but this will disappear sillently after some seconds. No error or warning message is given. I tried several things already, after searching the internet for a solution: - start delphi in comptability mode - start delphi as administrator - give full right on the installation directory of delphi - disable UAC - restore windows to the previous restore point None of ...

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

Windows 7 ... Delphi 7
The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! Me too, from what I've heard so far. They are releasing it as a public beta tommorrow (the first 2.5 million in line only): Windows 7 page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ Information on Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Beta http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/07/information-on-downloading-and-installing-windows-7-beta.aspx How to Get in on th...

Running Delphi 5 on windows 7
Hi all, I am very knew to delphi and I'm only using it for a university project, hence the use of the old version. The problem I'm having is after installing the software and trying to build a new package I get the following error message - unable to rename 'C:\Program files(x86)\borland\delphi5\bin\delphi32.$$$' to 'C:\Program files(x86)\borland\delphi5\bin\delphi32.dro' once this error message appears my only option is ok and once I click ok nothing appears so I can't even create a new project. Does anyone know what might cause this or even better, ho...

Install Delphi 2010 Ent in Windows XP or Windows 7
What operating system would you recommend installing and using Delphi 2010 Enterprise in? Windows XP or Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit. And why? Thanks Greg Saunders wrote: > What operating system would you recommend installing and using Delphi > 2010 Enterprise in? > > Windows XP or Windows 7 Windows 7. > > 32 bit or 64 bit. 32 bit. > > And why? Windows 7 is a lot supperior and more stable than windows XP, also it recognizes more than 3 GB of RAM. Delphi 2010 supports Windows 7 Libraries, you can take advantage of this in yo...

Does Delphi 2006 install and run on Windows 7?
I use Delphi 2006, and am thinking of getting a new HP notebook. (I bought Dephi 2009, but don't use it, since my apps don't compile/run as the strings are all screwed up, with the move to 2 byte UTF16 strings) Does Delphi 2006 install and run OK on Windows 7? It looks likey they are pre-installng 64 bit Windows 7 on most of their PC's. I'm assuming that 64-bit Windows 7 won't work with Delphi 2006, and I'll need to install 32 bit Windows 7 - is that correct? It will probably work for the mere fact that 32 bit applications work on 64 bit OS's. However, it ...

Create Floating Image Popup Window in Delphi XE (Windows 7)
I'm running Delphi XE, under Windows 7 64 bit. _I have these third party components loaded:_ Virtual Trees Version 4.8.7 TZip Version 1.5 JVCL 3.45 Graphics32 1.9 Final GExperts 1.33 DWS DCP Crypt Version 2.0 TeeChart Pro v2011 *I want to create a popup "preview" image of a PDF when the mouse is hoovering over a TListBox Item*. I'd figure I would create a TForm within my my window's FormCreate, and hide it, until (ListBox.ItemIndex > -1) on my TfrmMain.ListBoxMouseMove routine. For now, I'm just trying to master using a JPEG image, inst...

Delphi 2006 in Windows 7 32 bit / Windows Server 2008
Hi All, I need to install Delphi 2006 IDE in my new windows 2007 system. Could you please advise me whether Delphi 2006 will be supported in Windows 7 / Server 2008. If 2006 version is not supported please advise from which version onwards will be supported in Windows 7 / windows server 2008. Many thanks. Thanks Windows 7/ 2008 did not exist when Delphi 2006 was released, so this combination is untested. Most likely, if you follow these guidelines: http://support.embarcadero.com/article/42598 it will work with current OS's. If you want something we stand behind, you ...

Delphi 7 and Windows 7 x64
I have a number of applications that cannot be migrated from Delphi 7 because of third party components. Is it possible to run Delphi 7 on Winows 7 or is it necessary to use VMWare? Will programs compiled with Delphi 7 run on Windows 7? Tom Thomas Hahn wrote: > I have a number of applications that cannot be migrated from Delphi 7 > because of third party components. Is it possible to run Delphi 7 on > Winows 7 or is it necessary to use VMWare? Will programs compiled > with Delphi 7 run on Windows 7? It run OK, you must have admin rights to install Cesar Rom...

Delphi 7 + Windows 7 = No Help
Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this problem yet? Delphi 7 uses winhelp for it's help system and Windows 7 does not include winhelp. The problem: Although Vista has a winhelp download, Windows 7 does not, and the Vista winhelp download will not install on Windows 7. The solution: Waiting to find out. Anthony Walter wrote: > The solution: Waiting to find out. It was released about a half an hour ago for download... :-) http://tinyurl.com/yz6s397 Mark > {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote} > Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this pro...

Web resources about - Delphi Program Running Under Windows 8 vs. Windows 7 - embarcadero.delphi.general

Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Safety home signs stripped from streets as program ends
PARENTS have been warned that thousands of Safety Assist signs are being removed from the state’s streets as the child protection system is disbanded. ...

Baby lemurs born at Mogo Zoo as part of endangered species breeding program
Two critically endangered black and white ruffed lemurs have been born at the south coast's Mogo Zoo.

Johnny Manziel In Concussion Program, Likely To Miss Finale
Manziel reported to the team's facility complaining of concussion-like symptoms.

The Top Cable News Programs in 2015 Were…
... to the Top 14 cable news shows among total viewers and the Top 8 among the key A25-54 demo for 2015. Bill O’Reilly had the most-watched program ...

Iran to continue missile program despite US sanction threats
Iran to continue missile program despite US sanction threats

Epizyme Announces First Patient Dosed in Global Clinical Program Evaluating Tazemetostat in Genetically ...
Epizyme, Inc. (NASDAQ: EPZM), a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company creating novel epigenetic therapies for cancer patients, announced today ...

Report: U.S. preparing new sanctions over Iran's ballistic missile program
They would be the first sanctions since world powers agreed to the Iran nuclear deal in July

Spark Fund and Green Lumens Launch Zero-Down LED Program
... many commercial and industrial properties. First off – retrofitting commercial [&hellip Spark Fund and Green Lumens Launch Zero-Down LED Program ...

Target begins gift card trade-in program
The trade-in program is a convenience play, as consumers could likely get more for their old gift cards at online marketplaces.