Delphi for Google Chrome OS

Is there such a thing?  It would be nice to use all the "2 Way Tools",
object pascal, and general "integrated-ness" of Delphi development,
have a version that would install, run on Chrome OS, and build "native"
applications for Chrome OS.

I don't necessarily want to build web-apps, although they are great, my
users wouldn't mind loading some "fat client" locally on Chrome OS, and
have it talk to a app server via port 80 or 443, and generally be a
"client/server" app, but run on Chrome OS, using the Chrome OS local
API.  (HTML over IP is quite verbose and slow compared to loading local
elements via an API)

The C/S model will always be faster than the web-app model, however,
the C/S model requires a local install and local updates.

Let's assume that Chrome OS will eventually take over the world of
computing for 90% of all users.

Personally, I find that the state of web-app development today is very
disjointed and patch-worked compared to Microsoft Windows development.

This is only because MS has had a 20 or so year head start.  Think 20
years in the future... I want to start developing for it now.

Apologies if this is the wrong group to post in.
-1
Kevin

> {quote:title=Kevin Morris wrote:}{quote}
>
> Let's assume that Chrome OS will eventually take over the world of
> computing for 90% of all users.

Let's assume you mean iOS. Is there such a thing as an actual Chrome OS device out there?

http://legacy.macnn.com/articles/10/09/08/ipad.seen.hurting.all.low.end.notebook.sales/

http://legacy.macnn.com/articles/10/09/08/apple.tops.asus.systemax.in.study/

http://legacy.macnn.com/articles/10/09/08/trend.not.helpful.to.developers/

Thanks.

-Phil
-1
Phil
9/9/2010 1:24:34 AM
On 9/09/10 11:24 AM, Phil Hess wrote:
>> {quote:title=Kevin Morris wrote:}{quote}
>>
>> Let's assume that Chrome OS will eventually take over the world of
>> computing for 90% of all users.
>
> Let's assume you mean iOS. Is there such a thing as an actual Chrome OS device out there?

Chrome OS is being developed as an Desktop OS to compete with Win7, OSX,
Ubuntu etc, not a mobile platform like iOS, Android, WebOS, Windows
Phone etc .. Google has stated that Chrome and Android may converge but
they may not.

If Chrome takes over a significant share of the Desktop then Delphi
would eventually support it. OSX doesn't exactly have a large share of
the Desktop but has become popular enough to get Delphi support.
1
harrie
9/9/2010 2:13:42 AM
harrie pearce wrote:

> If Chrome takes over a significant share of the Desktop then Delphi
> would eventually support it.

Eventually can be a really long time in Delphi years.

> OSX doesn't exactly have a large share
> of the Desktop but has become popular enough to get Delphi support.

Or at least a promise of Delphi support in the future.

--
Cheers,
Van

"Half of what I say is meaningless..." - John Lennon
"Your job is to figure out which half." - Van Swofford
1
Van
9/9/2010 2:47:12 AM
> {quote:title=harrie pearce wrote:}{quote}
> Google has stated that Chrome and Android may converge but
> they may not.

Translation: "We're gonna let Android's appetite determine how quickly it eats Chrome."

> If Chrome takes over a significant share of the Desktop

You mean, like the way Linux did?

Thanks.

-Phil
1
Phil
9/9/2010 3:08:13 AM
On 9/09/10 1:08 PM, Phil Hess wrote:
>> {quote:title=harrie pearce wrote:}{quote}
>> Google has stated that Chrome and Android may converge but
>> they may not.
>
> Translation: "We're gonna let Android's appetite determine how quickly it eats Chrome."

Well, Android's goose could be cooked in the IP hot-water Google has
with Oracle ATM.

>> If Chrome takes over a significant share of the Desktop
>
> You mean, like the way Linux did?

Ah no, I do believe I used OSX as a example, but you don't seem to have
read that far ;)
-1
harrie

Google Chrome Frame in Delphi
http://www.progdigy.com/?p=116 Henri Gourvest wrote: > http://www.progdigy.com/?p=116 I am getting AV when running the demo under Win7 x64 even though I installed the ActiveX. Does Chrome automatically install 64 bit version under Win7 x64? Could it be the reason for the AVs? Adem Meda wrote: > Henri Gourvest wrote: > >> http://www.progdigy.com/?p=116 > > I am getting AV when running the demo under Win7 x64 even though I > installed the ActiveX. > > Does Chrome automatically install 64 bit version under Win7 x64? > > Could it b...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi and virus, or virus and Delphi.

delphi.general
Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can't read the group *embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general* Does anybody know if there's something wrong with it? Or maybe is my reader? (Thunderbird) I get this messagge when I try to read the latest messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:no such article found Perhaps the article has expired <692702@forums.embarcadero.com> (33145) Click here to remove all expired articles sergio wrote: > Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can'...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Web resources about - Delphi for Google Chrome OS - embarcadero.delphi.general