Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Hi,

Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference in
London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.

Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being
more than a little scared about all the UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64
bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from
Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?

Thanks,
Alain
0
Alain

On 03/02/2012 08:55, Alain Dekker wrote:
> Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference in
> London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>
> Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
> UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being
> more than a little scared about all the UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64
> bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from
> Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?

I recently upgraded a sizeable (Paradox) app from D3 to XE2 and was
pleasantly surprised. About 20-30 hours once I understood how XE2 works.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: agabb@tpgi.com.au       Adelaide, South Australia

Take the plunge, you'll like the new version.

JF

"Alain Dekker" <abdekker@NOSPAM.fsmail.net> escribió en el mensaje
> Hi,
>
> Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference in London hosted by
> Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>
> Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the UNICODE and 64-bit support
> offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being more than a little scared about all the
> UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64 bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently
> upgraded from Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?
>
> Thanks,
> Alain
0
Jim
2/5/2012 4:45:44 PM
Alain Dekker wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the
>conference in London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>
>Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
>UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to
>being more than a little scared about all the
>UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64 bit issues I'm probably going to
>fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from Delphi7 to one of the latest
>Delphi IDEs?
>
>Thanks,
>Alain

If you are not using any vanished component sets the upgrade should be
rather quick. in the end it all depends on how you have programmed in
the past (not using string as buffers, no assembler etc)
0
Marius
2/5/2012 5:47:01 PM
> {quote:title=Alain Dekker wrote:}{quote}
> Hi,
>
> Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference in
> London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>
> Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
> UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being
> more than a little scared about all the UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64
> bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from
> Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?
>
> Thanks,
> Alain

Alain,

 When i moved from 2007 to 2010 with Unicode a had very few problems with my own code. I did have some "Run Once" logic that passed a message to an existing instance of the running app. I had to change how some strings were being handled.

 Be sure to learn how to use RawByteStrings, they are your friend.

 My biggest problem was getting some of the old Power Tools - SysTools components running. A guy in Texas had those. Make sure any existing component sets you are using are updated. I use some TMS Software components and I have seen in notes that pre-Unicode support is being dropped.

 I don't recall exactly when "Record Methods" were added but I love those.

Overall, with 20/20 hind sight it was worth the effort.

Bob K.
0
Robert
2/5/2012 7:35:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for the extremally positive response. Conference in early
March...

Alain

<Robert Kondner> wrote in message news:443439@forums.embarcadero.com...
>> {quote:title=Alain Dekker wrote:}{quote}
>> Hi,
>>
>> Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference
>> in
>> London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>>
>> Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
>> UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being
>> more than a little scared about all the UNICODE/String/AnsiString and
>> 32/64
>> bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from
>> Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alain
>
> Alain,
>
> When i moved from 2007 to 2010 with Unicode a had very few problems with
> my own code. I did have some "Run Once" logic that passed a message to an
> existing instance of the running app. I had to change how some strings
> were being handled.
>
> Be sure to learn how to use RawByteStrings, they are your friend.
>
> My biggest problem was getting some of the old Power Tools - SysTools
> components running. A guy in Texas had those. Make sure any existing
> component sets you are using are updated. I use some TMS Software
> components and I have seen in notes that pre-Unicode support is being
> dropped.
>
> I don't recall exactly when "Record Methods" were added but I love those.
>

> Overall, with 20/20 hind sight it was worth the effort.
>
> Bob K.
0
Alain

Delphi 7 Pro to Delphi XE2
Hi All I'm porting a project from Delphi 7 Pro to Delphi XE2 and have notice the VersionInfo "Release" and "Build" not being extracted correctly. Should be "1.2.3.4" but is getting "1.2.6150.4567" I'm using the following to extract the VersionInfo and works ok in Delphi 7 but doesnt get the "Release" and "Build" info when used in Delphi XE2. function GetVersion : string; { --------------------------------------------------------- Extracts the FileVersion element of the VERSIONINFO structure that Delphi ma...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

DesignIDE package and porting Delphi 7 components to Delphi XE2
HI I am porting components from Delphi7 to Delphi XE2, and started run in problems regarding MaskProp.dcu, some of the components uses this, and is looking for TMaskProperty class. After a lot of browsing on the net i figured out that all these units is packaged in the designide.dcp. So i have the design time component in a package that requires the designide.dcp and then the runtime component package that reguires the designtime package for the component. In the runtime component package i get errors regarding the MaskProp.dcu and the TMaskProperty class. I dont know what to do from ...

Delphi XE2 Translation Manager is crippled compared to Delphi 7
Delphi XE2 Translation Manager enables editing only of the properties that were previously saved to the DFM file. That means only properties that were changed from their default values in the original source language form. So if a TLabel Alignment is taLeftJustify I can't edit or even see its value in the translated form grid editor. Delphi 7 Translation Manager enabled editing and viewing of all the properties of a component included in the form. It also enabled editing properties using the Object inspector. Am I missing some definition in Delphi XE2 to enable all properties ...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Moving from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? Specifically, is there better Vista/Win7/Win8 integration provided by Delphi 2007? (In the project I am already using a custom manifest file for Vista/Win7 etc.. and not the std XPMan component) Does 2007 add any new bugs to the scene? Thanks Rael Rael wrote: > Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from > Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? If you are going to upgrade, why not upgrade to something newer? > In the project I am already using a custom man...

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, after i bought delphi 7
I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? "I embezzled some money from my employer, returned the funds, and then got it back as a bonus. Can I still be arrested?" Uhhh .... didn't you just confess to a crime? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? Is there any legalization rules of embarcadero products? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > > Is there any legalization rules of embarcadero products? What does the license agreement say? (I don't think I've ever seen a license agreement that has amnesty clauses written into it.) Why do you think you violated the license? Were you caught? Do you WANT to be caught? Do you WANT to be sued? Thanks David that you answer my question, my english is too poor, can you tell me where is written about amnesty in licence, thanks in advance Am 29.12.2011 19:22, schrieb Ivan Ivanov: > Thanks David that you answer my question, my english is too poor, can you tell me where is written about amnesty in licence, thanks in adv...

Unofficial Delphi 7 updates
Anybody noticed, even tried this Enhanced Run Time library for Delphi ? It's a hack of the D7 RTL/VCL http://blog.synopse.info/post/2009/12/20/Enhanced-Run-Time-library-for-Delphi-7 It's very interesting and I'd like to know it's stability. Edwin Ye wrote: > Anybody noticed, even tried this Enhanced Run Time library for Delphi > ? It's a hack of the D7 RTL/VCL This library violates Delphi's license (redistributing of RTL/VCL source files is not allowed). The last post was deleted and I'm sure this one will be deleted, too. -- Andreas H...

Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade
I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of D7 which came for free with XE. I downloaded and installed D7 and I think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded. After much messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to compile my D6 project with D7. I get the following error:- [Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel I have checked the library paths all point to D7 versions of everything and now am at a loss to know what to do next. Also checked the sequence to make sure that al...

Language like Delphi 6 or Delphi 7
Hi I like to make application what will connect to web services(SOAP or REST) and send data to server via HTTPS. I have previous experience with Delphi 6 and Delphi 7.I know that language in Delphi 2009 is changed. Which is the last Delhi(Delphi 2005, Delphi 2009) what have the languages like Delphi 6 or Delphi 7. Additional ,which edition(home,professional ,architect) I should use if i like to achieve my task? Pero perov wrote: > I know that language in Delphi 2009 is changed. That is not true. > Which is the last Delhi(Delphi 2005, Delphi 2009) what > have the lan...

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010
We have decided to move up some applications running under Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010. However, I was surprise to see that simply recompiling the application causes the application to be much slower than version 7. We have a lot of string transformation routines, some mathematical transformations, etc. When I mean slower, I mean up to two times slower than with Delphi 7, so it not a minor difference. (The EXE is also a lot bigger but I don't worry too much about that). Is there something I can do to obtain the same kind of speed I had in Delphi 7 but with Delphi 2010? ...

Migrating to Delphi XE from Delphi 7.0
Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... Hello All, I create a web application in Delphi 7.0, using the Web Server Application, CGI, IntraWeb 7.0.15. And I used TIWPageProducer to view like this url "http://localhost/mcr/mcr.exe/main". I built and run. I viewed in thru IIS and it is running... This is my code in Delphi 7.0 .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end; procedure TWebModule1....

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Can delphi 2009 and delphi 7 be on the same computer?
Can I install and run delphi 2009 and delphi 7 separately on the same computer or will they interfer with each other? I have delpi 7 already so do I need to choose a new folder (not c:\Borland) when installing 2009? Lorne Anderson wrote: > Can I install and run delphi 2009 and delphi 7 separately on the same > computer or will they interfer with each other? > > I have delpi 7 already so do I need to choose a new folder (not c:\Borland) > when installing 2009? It works fine. You usually want to install the older version first. As for folders, the root folde...

Pchar for PansiChar
hello, I use a DLL developed in D7 and not have the same sources. I will use Delphi 2010 and the functions do not work function TkmInitialize(LOGXMLDIR: PChar; TkmByExt: dWord): dWord; stdcall; external 'trackbuffer.dll'; function TkmCreateStream(FileName: PChar; Var Stream: dWord; Var Error: dWord): PChar; stdcall; external 'trackbuffer.dll'; function TkmLogEnd(Stream: dWord; MediaDuration, MediaPosition, MediaType: dWord; MediaName: PChar): dWord; stdcall; external 'trackbuffer.dll'; function TkmIsTkm(FileName: PChar): Bool; stdcall; external 'trackbuffer.dl...

Is GNU Gettext for Delphi compatible with Delphi XE2 ?
The site http://dxgettext.po.dk declare support for Supports for Delphi 5-2009. Thanks in advance lior ilan wrote: > The site http://dxgettext.po.dk declare support for Supports for Delphi > 5-2009. > Thanks in advance It is, if you look in the forums mentioned in that website http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dxgettext/ http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dxgettext/message/3639 Regards Olivier ...

Migrating to Delphi XE from Delphi 7.0
Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... Hello All, I create a web application in Delphi 7.0, using the Web Server Application, CGI, IntraWeb 7.0.15. And I used TIWPageProducer to view like this url "http://localhost/mcr/mcr.exe/main". I built and run. I viewed in thru IIS and it is running... This is my code in Delphi 7.0 .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end; procedure TWebModule1.proLogInGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmLogIn.Create(AWebApplication); end; ..... .... Now I Upgrade to Delphi XE.... Below is my Code in Delphi XE and There is no IWTPageProducer instead I used TPageProducer... {*************************************************} unit uWebModule; interface uses SysUtils, Classes, HTTPApp, HTTPProd, SOAPHTTPDisp, WebBrokerSOAP, IWAppForm, IWApplication; type TfrmWebModule = class(TWebModule) PageProducer1: TPageProducer; . . . private public end; var WebModuleClass: TComponentClass = TfrmWebModule; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; implementation uses uMain; {$R *.dfm} procedure TfrmWebModule.frmWebModuleactMainAction(Sender: TObject; Request: TWebRequest; Response: TWebRes...

Web resources about - Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2 - embarcadero.delphi.general

Domestic firms eye Delphi
BizChina offers latest business and market information of China, online updates of 17 industries, investment guides, business events and industry ...

Official: Verizon's Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi now on sale for $250
Filed under: Technology Partnering with Verizon Wireless, Delphi Automotive has released its Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi product that allows ...