Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Hi,

Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference in
London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.

Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being
more than a little scared about all the UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64
bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from
Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?

Thanks,
Alain
0
Alain

On 03/02/2012 08:55, Alain Dekker wrote:
> Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference in
> London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>
> Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
> UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being
> more than a little scared about all the UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64
> bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from
> Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?

I recently upgraded a sizeable (Paradox) app from D3 to XE2 and was
pleasantly surprised. About 20-30 hours once I understood how XE2 works.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: agabb@tpgi.com.au       Adelaide, South Australia

Take the plunge, you'll like the new version.

JF

"Alain Dekker" <abdekker@NOSPAM.fsmail.net> escribió en el mensaje
> Hi,
>
> Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference in London hosted by
> Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>
> Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the UNICODE and 64-bit support
> offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being more than a little scared about all the
> UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64 bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently
> upgraded from Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?
>
> Thanks,
> Alain
0
Jim
2/5/2012 4:45:44 PM
Alain Dekker wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the
>conference in London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>
>Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
>UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to
>being more than a little scared about all the
>UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64 bit issues I'm probably going to
>fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from Delphi7 to one of the latest
>Delphi IDEs?
>
>Thanks,
>Alain

If you are not using any vanished component sets the upgrade should be
rather quick. in the end it all depends on how you have programmed in
the past (not using string as buffers, no assembler etc)
0
Marius
2/5/2012 5:47:01 PM
> {quote:title=Alain Dekker wrote:}{quote}
> Hi,
>
> Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference in
> London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>
> Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
> UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being
> more than a little scared about all the UNICODE/String/AnsiString and 32/64
> bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from
> Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?
>
> Thanks,
> Alain

Alain,

 When i moved from 2007 to 2010 with Unicode a had very few problems with my own code. I did have some "Run Once" logic that passed a message to an existing instance of the running app. I had to change how some strings were being handled.

 Be sure to learn how to use RawByteStrings, they are your friend.

 My biggest problem was getting some of the old Power Tools - SysTools components running. A guy in Texas had those. Make sure any existing component sets you are using are updated. I use some TMS Software components and I have seen in notes that pre-Unicode support is being dropped.

 I don't recall exactly when "Record Methods" were added but I love those.

Overall, with 20/20 hind sight it was worth the effort.

Bob K.
0
Robert
2/5/2012 7:35:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for the extremally positive response. Conference in early
March...

Alain

<Robert Kondner> wrote in message news:443439@forums.embarcadero.com...
>> {quote:title=Alain Dekker wrote:}{quote}
>> Hi,
>>
>> Still using that old workhorse, Delphi7, but am going to the conference
>> in
>> London hosted by Embarcadero on Delphi XE2.
>>
>> Although I would like to "move with the times" and am keen to get the
>> UNICODE and 64-bit support offered by the latest IDEs, I confess to being
>> more than a little scared about all the UNICODE/String/AnsiString and
>> 32/64
>> bit issues I'm probably going to fall over. Anyone recently upgraded from
>> Delphi7 to one of the latest Delphi IDEs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alain
>
> Alain,
>
> When i moved from 2007 to 2010 with Unicode a had very few problems with
> my own code. I did have some "Run Once" logic that passed a message to an
> existing instance of the running app. I had to change how some strings
> were being handled.
>
> Be sure to learn how to use RawByteStrings, they are your friend.
>
> My biggest problem was getting some of the old Power Tools - SysTools
> components running. A guy in Texas had those. Make sure any existing
> component sets you are using are updated. I use some TMS Software
> components and I have seen in notes that pre-Unicode support is being
> dropped.
>
> I don't recall exactly when "Record Methods" were added but I love those.
>

> Overall, with 20/20 hind sight it was worth the effort.
>
> Bob K.
0
Alain