Delphi 7 Copy Array of Byte to Variant [Edit]

Hello

I'm using Delphi 7 and need to copy an array of byte to a variant.
The use case is to copy a file on disk to a variant.

What I doing now is shown below, but it would seem that the start of the file is not transferred to the variant correctly:
The buffer which contains the file would seem to be ok but there is something wrong with the variant.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Paul

var
  afile: file of byte;
  buffer: array of byte;
  i: Integer;

  vv : variant;

begin
        // read the file into an array of byte
        AssignFile(afile, LocalPath+LocalFile);
        Reset(afile);
        SetLength(buffer, FileSize(afile));
        For i := 1 to FileSize(afile) do
                Read(afile, buffer[i - 1]);
        CloseFile(afile);

        // transfer the array of byte to a variant
        vv := varArrayCreate([0, length(buffer)-1], varByte );
        for i := 1 to length(buffer)-1 do
          VarArrayPut(vv,buffer[i],i);

..
..
..

Edited by: Paul martin on Oct 30, 2012 9:43 AM
0
Paul

I would try it little differently

var
  vVar: OleVariant;
  pData: Pointer;
  TheStream: TMemoryStream
begin
  TheStream := TMemoryStream.Create;
  TheStream..LoadFromFile(LocalPath+LocalFile);
  TheStream.Position := 0;
  vVar := VarArrayCreate([0, TheStream.Size], varByte);
  pData := VarArrayLock(vVar);
  try
    Move(TheStream.Memory^, pData^, TheStream.Size);
  finally
    VarArrayUnlock(vVar);
  end;

  Result := vVar;
0
Dennis
10/30/2012 8:51:43 PM
Hello

Thanks for the code, I just had to change TheStream.size to the TheStream.size -1 otherwise I was getting an extra unwanted byte.
Apart from that it works perfectly.
Many thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.

Regards
Paul
0
Paul

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Copying RawByteString byte by byte in Delphi XE
I just ran into a problem with XE that I never thought of before... copying a RawByteString to another byte by byte does not work on some Windows versions. The example below runs fine on an English Windows, but on a Windows with a Chinese locale (for example Traditional Hong Kong), it fails: procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject); var S1, S2, UTF8BOM: RawByteString; i: integer; begin UTF8BOM := #$EF#$BB#$BF; S1 := UTF8BOM + '<html>TEST</html>'; S2 := ''; for i := 1 to length(S1) do S2 := S2 + S1[i]; //Does NOT wo...

Delphi 7 TFontDialog and Windows 7 [Edit]
When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts). If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine. This works fine on an XP box. Any ideas? Edited by: Tim Muenstermann on Apr 29, 2010 9:05 AM > {quote:title=Tim Muenstermann wrote:}{quote} > When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts). If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine. > What Word does (BTW, M$ went out about a decade ago) makes absolutely no difference. Office ...

I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, after i bought delphi 7
I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? "I embezzled some money from my employer, returned the funds, and then got it back as a bonus. Can I still be arrested?" Uhhh .... didn't you just confess to a crime? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an appli...

Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Web resources about - Delphi 7 Copy Array of Byte to Variant [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.general

Floppy disk variants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Commodore started its tradition of special disk formats with the 5¼-inch disk drives accompanying its PET/CBM , VIC-20 and Commodore 64 home ...

WARNING: Zbot Trojan Variant Creates Fake Instagram Accounts
The creation and sale of fake likes and followers is not limited to Facebook and Twitter, as RSA reported in a blog post that a variant of the ...

Favorites - Colors of green (mosaic), variant - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1989 Juicy Fruit Commercial - "Skiing" Variant (1991) - YouTube
Here's yet another another entry in Wrigley's Juicy Fruit's then-ubiquitous "THE TASTE IS GOING TO MOVE YOU!" ad campaign. This particular commercial, ...

Bournemouth aside, Arsenal to West Ham all use variants of 4-3-3 - why the formation is thriving
Premier League correspondent Richard Jolly examinesthe rise of the 4-3-3 formation and addresses whether it has played a role in the rise in ...

Gene variant could play central role in Alzheimer's disease
A rare mutation of a gene that’s normally linked to inflammation could triple the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, according to new research from ...

Samsung Galaxy S6 unveiling expected at MWC sans Snapgdragon 810, ‘Active’ variant returning
It's definitely not unexpected by any stretch of the imagination, but Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S6 has been tipped to be introduced at the 2015 ...

Logitech announces wired iPad keyboard for the classroom in Lightning and 30-pin variants
... is a big hassle for teachers, and to combat that it is introducing a plug-and-play, wired keyboard in both Lightning and 30-pin variants : ...

ASRock Goes Braswell: Eight SKUs including DC-In Variants
In the wake of the news regarding ASUS’ listing of their Braswell motherboards, both ASRock and MSI have been quick on their heels to also list ...

AT&T Droid Maxx series variant passes through the FCC
Motorola's Droid Maxx series of devices are well loved for their humongous batteries and well hated for their exclusivity. Thankfully, it looks ...