procedure TFormDetailedFinancialInformationInputForm.FloatEdit1Change(
  Sender: TObject);
begin
     PartyONERegW2Income := floatEdit1.Value;
     p1i1                                  := FloatEdit1.Value;
     p1IncomePage1               := p1i1 + p1i2 + p1i3 + p1i4 + p1i5 + p1i6 + p1i7
                                                  + p1i8 + p1i9 + p1i10 + p1i11 + p1i12 + p1i13
                                                  + p1i14 + p1i15;
     p1IncomePage2               := p1i16 + p1i17 + p1i18 + p1i19  + p1i20 + p1i21
                                                   + p1i22 + p1i23 + p1i24 + p1i25 + p1i26 + p1i27
                                                   + p1i28 + p1i29;
     p1AllSourcesTotal   := p1IncomePage1 + p1IncomePage2;
     label15.Caption := FloatToStrF(p1IncomePage1, ffCurrency, 10, 0);
     label16.Caption := FloatToStrF(p1AllSourcesTotal, ffCurrency, 10, 0);
end;

the two labels are at the bottom of the column and they display the correct values(of course they would because they are set within the on-change procedure).  I am attempting to print values for “P1i1" and “P1AllSourcesTotal”, and those values print out as zeros no matter what the values of the P1i1 through p1i29 are input.

If this is a setfocus problem, what code do I need to add to change the focus to allow me to print the values?  Should it be set to the form on which all of the columns reside or somewhere else?

By the way, this is a very, very large accounting program with somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 edit boxes (actually floatedit boxes).

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you may provide.

John Shyer
0
John

Since Posting the original question, I experimented and substituted an "OnExit" procedure for the "OnChange" Event.  The original code with the new OnEdit procedure worked.

Could someone please explain why the OnChange procedure does not allow the data values to pass to the printer procedure while the OnExit procedure does allow it?

Else could someone please validate that the OnExit procedure is the proper way to proceed before I change some 800+ OnChange procedures.

Thank you in advance.  John

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> Hello and Help,
>
> Is this a problem with setfocus?
>
> I have a large multipage accounting form, wherein the input edit boxes are in a column, with five columns per page (each for a different facet of the client’s income sources and expenditures.  Each edit box has an “On-change” event associated with it to add the amount input to the box to a subtotal and then to a grand total.  All of this is contained within the “on-change” procedure, with the amount entered input to a unique variable for that particular edit box.  When I attempt to access those unique v
ariables to print them into a report, I get nothing.  It appears that the variable within the on-change event is set, but that value is not transmitted out of the on-change event.

> I recall that I had a similar problem with a different application quite some time ago, and one of the answers I received had to do with the focus of the edit box on-change event.  I coded around that problem in some manner, again, I do not recall how it was circumvented, but it was.
>
> Here is a sanitized version of one of the on-change events:
>
> procedure TFormDetailedFinancialInformationInputForm.FloatEdit1Change(
>   Sender: TObject);
> begin
>      PartyONERegW2Income := floatEdit1.Value;
>      p1i1                                  := FloatEdit1.Value;
>      p1IncomePage1               := p1i1 + p1i2 + p1i3 + p1i4 + p1i5 + p1i6 + p1i7
>                                                   + p1i8 + p1i9 + p1i10 + p1i11 + p1i12 + p1i13
>                                                   + p1i14 + p1i15;
>      p1IncomePage2               := p1i16 + p1i17 + p1i18 + p1i19  + p1i20 + p1i21
>                                                    + p1i22 + p1i23 + p1i24 + p1i25 + p1i26 + p1i27
>                                                    + p1i28 + p1i29;
>      p1AllSourcesTotal   := p1IncomePage1 + p1IncomePage2;
>      label15.Caption := FloatToStrF(p1IncomePage1, ffCurrency, 10, 0);
>      label16.Caption := FloatToStrF(p1AllSourcesTotal, ffCurrency, 10, 0);
> end;
>
> the two labels are at the bottom of the column and they display the correct values(of course they would because they are set within the on-change procedure).  I am attempting to print values for “P1i1" and “P1AllSourcesTotal”, and those values print out as zeros no matter what the values of the P1i1 through p1i29 are input.
>
> If this is a setfocus problem, what code do I need to add to change the focus to allow me to print the values?  Should it be set to the form on which all of the columns reside or somewhere else?
>
> By the way, this is a very, very large accounting program with somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 edit boxes (actually floatedit boxes).
>
> Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you may provide.
>
> John Shyer
0
John
7/2/2015 8:29:25 PM
John wrote:

> Is this a problem with setfocus?

I don't see how it could be.  Your logic is not focus related.

> When I attempt to access those unique variables to print them into
> a report, I get nothing.

Then you are not accessing the mcorrectly.

> It appears that the variable within the on-change event is set, but that
> value is not transmitted out of the on-change event.

The only way that would happen is if the value is being assigned to a local
variable that is only in scope within the event handler.  That is not the
case in the code example you have shown.  So something else is going on in
code you have not shown.

> I recall that I had a similar problem with a different application quite
some
> time ago, and one of the answers I received had to do with the focus of
> the edit box on-change event.

This is not a focus problem.

> Here is a sanitized version of one of the on-change events:

I think you might have sanitized it too much, because there is nothing in
this code example that would cause the symptom you have described.

> the two labels are at the bottom of the column and they display the
> correct values(of course they would because they are set within the
> on-change procedure).

It has nothing to do with *where* you are assigning them.  Once assigned,
TLabel remembers its value until you assign a different value.  OnChange
vs OnExit, it makes no difference for that.

> I am attempting to print values for “P1i1" and “P1AllSourcesTotal”, and
> those values print out as zeros no matter what the values of the P1i1
> through p1i29 are input.

The only way that is possible given the code you have shown is if all of
the p1i1-p1i29 variables are zero to begin with, or at least their total
adds up to less than 0.0, since you are setting the Digits parameter of FloatToStrF()
to 0.  For currency formatting, why would you ever set Digits to 0?  Are
you trying to hide cents from the user?  Are you trying to cause rounding
errors on purpose?

> By the way, this is a very, very large accounting program with
> somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 edit boxes (actually floatedit
> boxes).

That is why too many to have in a single UI.  Yo really need to break that
up, or use a grid control instead.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
John wrote:

> Since Posting the original question, I experimented and substituted an
> "OnExit" procedure for the "OnChange" Event.  The original code with
> the new OnEdit procedure worked.

I seriously doubt that.

> Could someone please explain why the OnChange procedure does not
> allow the data values to pass to the printer procedure while the OnExit
> procedure does allow it?

The code you showed is not affected by focus, so it does not matter if it
is in the OnChange event or the OnExit event. Your real problem lies elsewhere
in code you did not show.

> Else could someone please validate that the OnExit procedure is the
> proper way to proceed before I change some 800+ OnChange procedures.

It is not.  Find and fix the underlying problem, stop guessing and putting
a band-aid on it.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
"John Shyer" wrote in message news:727681@forums.embarcadero.com...
> Since Posting the original question, I experimented and substituted an
> "OnExit" procedure for the "OnChange" Event.  The original code with the
> new OnEdit procedure worked.
>
> Could someone please explain why the OnChange procedure does not allow the
> data values to pass to the printer procedure while the OnExit procedure
> does allow it?
>
> Else could someone please validate that the OnExit procedure is the proper
> way to proceed before I change some 800+ OnChange procedures.

Remy has answered most of this. The difference between OnExit and OnChange
is that OnChange is fired for every key stroke. So if you need to type
"123.45", all your logic of updating all the subtotals and totals will fire
6 times. With OnExit it will only fire once with the completed value.

--
Wayne Niddery
"You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?

Problems, problems, problems
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Problems, problems, problems Comments: I use FF all the time for work - I'm a software tester - the add-ons are invaluable. But v3.5 really has been a disappointment. It just keeps hanging all the time. And when Internet Explorer windows pop up, FF often just dies. It can't even restart itself - I have to manually kill the process every time; every update, every add-on that updates, "restart" fails - it's so frustrating. I hope v3.6 will be addressing this - PLEASE! Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7....

Problems, problems, problems
Name: Hans Halvorsen Email: capricorn_at_online.no Product: Thunderbird Summary: Problems, problems, problems Comments: Hi, I downloaded Thunderbird some time ago, and I was over-satisfied whit it and how well it worked. In fact it worked 100% PERFECTLY UNTIL I got an newer update version of it. Since then I' ve had nothing BUT trouble! I've checked adresses, notes, password, deleted accounts and made new one's, checked sign-ins and sign-outs, passwords inside and out, upside and down, so many times that my frustration now is about to turn into pure and major irritation. I've tried to re-set the whole system to an earlier date, and download all programs yet again, but I've still have the same problem. The email-windows opens, but the program doesn't collect emails from my various accounts. It only pops up an "time out"- and "check the.... again"-noteice. And belive me, I have done just that!!! If one could one get back to the earlier version - AND LEAVE IT WITH THAT !!! MAJOR FRUSTRATED !! I'm seriously considering to download Outlook Express instead. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nb-NO; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050717 Firefox/1.0.6 ...

PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS.
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS. Comments: Does Google's Chrome browser block out Firefox? Am having a lot of trouble getting Firefox to run after I run Chrome. No trouble what-so- ever before running Chrome. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1064 Safari/532.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see ...

Problems Problems Problems
So, I have OpenSUSE installed on my laptop and everything is working well, except the wireless. It almost seems that every time I run a KDE distro I can not get the internet to work. I've run YaST and used iwconfig. nothing is working for me. Please help -ZAD -- zadnik18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ someone is going to tell you to supply some more information 'My wireless doesn't work - a primer on what I should do next - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/6peanc) this is one of the stickies: it suggests some info eg > /sbin/lspci The other alternative is to go here 'Benutzeranleitung/Usersguide von/of collectNWData | collectNWData.sh' (http://tinyurl.com/yd47ky2) download this diagnostic script, designed for Suse; and run it; you can paste the results back here; but a few minutes spent reading the results might allow you to fix things yourself (I recommend Peter's script above: provides extensive data) good luck -- pdc_2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pdc_2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3503 View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=432073 The firmware is ok. it is not a hardware issue. I am able to see my wlan, along with others from neighbors. when I run iwlist scan my network comes up, but when I iwconfig under wl...

Problems problems and problems.
Name: A.A. Product: Firefox Summary: Problems problems and problems. Comments: I am not specific, but in short I can not use This site to listen music anymore, while I can in IE explorer. Just to let you guys know, new version messed something up. http://hypem.com/ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade
I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of D7 which came for free with XE. I downloaded and installed D7 and I think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded. After much messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to compile my D6 project with D7. I get the following error:- [Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel I have checked the library paths all point to D7 versions of everything and now am at a loss to know what to do next. Also checked the sequence to make sure that al...

Problem with my problem?
Hi, folks. Three days ago, I posted that Sunbird was refusing to import the ICS file from the Firefox Calendar Extension. Nobody replied, so I can only assume that one of three situations exists: 1) The file is corrupt, and no one wants to give me the bad news; 2) This is a known problem with Sunbird, but no one knows the solution; 3) Everyone is hard at work 24/7 trying to figure out the solution to my problem (LOL). I've already discovered that I can copy and paste each event from the calendar extension to Sunbird one by one. Before I devote many hours of my life to th...

problems,problems
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: problems,problems Comments: I once loved Firefox, lately it just plain sucks, the latest version 3.6 something will no longer me to listen to MLB.com or Glenn Beck. It is also way slower (even with W7 and new machine). It always seems to be downloading updates and wasting my time. Guess I'll see how Google Chrome works! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 Firefox/3.5.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a ...

setfocus problem
hi i have a window with a pagecontrol the first page contains a component and i want to focus it as default. the user can open a new tab and doubleclicking the tab closes it setting activepageindex to 0 (where the components resides) in pagecontrolchange even i added: if pc.activepagecontrol1.activepageindex = 0 then component.setfocus; in all scenarios this works ok except for when closing the tab by a doubleclick. in this case the focus remain on the pagecontrol. what happens is the component retrieves the focus but immediately after that the pagecontrol steals it back because of...

SetFocus problem
I have an application that I just migrated from 5 to 6. One window in the application has a tab control and two other objects. The tab control has the lowest taborder. On the first page of the tap there are two datawindows. The first dw's first column is called 'in_parcel'. Under PB5 I did not use SetFocus. By default, 'in_parcel' had focus because it was the first column on the first datawindow on the first tab page of the tab control. In PB6, however, focus appears to be <nowhere> when the window opens. If I press the tab key once the second object a...

Problem after problem...
I'm done doing this. I can't setup .TEXT and the developer has next to nothing on his help page. For the past month I've been trying to set this up on my server and I'm done with it. My server is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1, IIS 6.0, ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL Server 2000. I've never been able to run a remote query to SQL Server 2000. I've never been used to SQL 2000 and I've never liked it. I would like to use SQL 2005 if my server were capable, but that's not happening. Every query to the box is expecting SQL Server 2005 and just errors out. I don't know ho...

Delphi problem
When I make a query and having to do a second equal, the second joins and only when I close the first the other it executes instantly. This happens with tables with more than 300 records. thanner@zipmail.com.br ...

GENERAL PROBLEMS
Name: Frank Carroll Email: FCTRVLRatGMAILdotCOM Product: Firefox Summary: GENERAL PROBLEMS Comments: I am not the smartest person with computer programs, but this has become very frustrating. I downloaded the new Firefox after using Firefox 1.????? with few if any problems. Well, now, I am unable to find my original bookmarks, my home, or any of the other items from previous edition. I would have hoped that the two would have integrated immediately, NOT SO. Now, in attempting to contact support, I am even more frustrated, it is not easy to me, and I hope Jimi is turning ...

general problems
Name: Jay Hatle Email: twistedoliver1atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: general problems Comments: There was a time Firefox was a great place to be. It was fast and had no problems. Since you recently " improved" now I constantly get messages after closing Firefox..and later get back on that " Firefox is running but not responding so I have to close it"...what is this?...never did that before, Also I never got pop ups from Firefox before...now I get them constantly...These Goddamn things do nothing more than jam my PC and now I'm so pissed that ...

Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE Crystal BPL problem [Edit]
I am in the process of migrating our application from Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE and, for ease of use, I have both 2006 and XE installed on my development computer. I access Crystal Reports XI RDC in our application and so I rebuilt the BPL in XE in order to add the new package to XE. However, when I try to add the package to XE I get the error message: “Registration procedure, Craxddrt_tbl.Register in the package c:\Documents and Settings\All Uers\Documents\RADS Studio\8.0\BPL\Crystal.bpl raised exception class EFilerError: Component TDatabase can’t be registered by package crystal.bpl because it has already been registered by the package dclbde150.bpl.” In other words, since I already have the Crystal RDC registered for 2006, I can’t register it for XE. I realize that I could move XE to a different computer, but I would really like to keep both versions on the same note book. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Thank you in advance, Dave ...

General problems
Name: Smeikx Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: General problems Comments: If I click on a external link when Firefox is not yet openend, Firefox starts but doesn't open the site. Clicking on the icon in the dock starts Firefox, but no window appears. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; de; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100105 Firefox/3.6 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

general problems
Hi I have just installed opensuse and I must say a I am very impressed with the kde desktop anyway I am having some issues firstly I have a toshiba sattelite A120 laptop with an ati radeon xpress 200M. my problems are I don't think plasma apps are saving settings properly as the kde display manager reverts to disabled on the resulution every time I log and windows have to be enlarged every time I log in however YAst has the correct res setting (1280x800) but the screen is black until I press alt f2 and configure the display settings through the kde display manager then everyth...

Problems Problems
Hi all,Well i am trying to use visio files in my application... I have added the libraries which are required for .NET to embed visio files...Bt it seems not to be working whenever i click files frm my .NET application bt it opens in Visio editor...Thanks in advance Regards,Srinivas RamanujanWords offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth !!!!!  Post Your Code for better understanding Your Problem.- Hardik (Software Developer,Surat,India)Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. Well actually i...

General Problem
Name: Sudhakar Konala Email: Sudhakar2k_at_hotmail.com Product: Deer Park Summary: General Problem Comments: I've noticed that Deer Park takes up a lot system memory. I do have a lot of extensions installed but firefox still used less system memory that deer Park does. It would really be nice you guys can somehow cut down on memory usage. On the bright side Deer park is awesome! and much faster at loaded pages. Thanks Sudhakar Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b3) Gecko/20050712 Firefox/1.0+ ...

problems, problems
Name: gabriel sanchez Email: deliverezeatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: problems, problems Comments: how can i set up google search box next to my address bar and keep it that way? When installing an app from a site it just disrupted my set up and mozilla does not offer direct support anywhere Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 GTB5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide...

delphi.general
Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can't read the group *embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general* Does anybody know if there's something wrong with it? Or maybe is my reader? (Thunderbird) I get this messagge when I try to read the latest messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:no such article found Perhaps the article has expired <692702@forums.embarcadero.com> (33145) Click here to remove all expired articles sergio wrote: > Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can'...

problem? what problem?
I just wanted to say is: Opensuse 11.2 gives many problems in comparison to other linux and possibly other previous opensuse. lol!lol!lol! I like to move it, move it. I like to move it, move it. I like to move it, move it. I like to...MOVE IT! rotfl! -- batou ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Crack is bad for you, you should lay down the habit. -- *it*'s all a game, avoiding failure, when true colors will bleed, all in the name of misbehavior and the things we don't need and more than ever, I hope to neve...

general problems
hi everyone! i've just install opensuse 11 in my pc (amd athlon x2 4400, 2gb ram OCZ, mother asus m2n4-sli, 250gb hard disk) and i have A LOT of problems that I don't understand. First, the complete system is _considerable_ slow... every single click takes a long time... I used to have gentoo until last month and there wasn't this kind of problem. Everything goes too slow... Ktorrent fails a lot... sometimes, i have to restart my pc to make it work. ADSL connection was a little bit hard to make it work, but finally, I could. But now, the connection is so unstable, ...

Problem with Setfocus
I have a problem in Delhi 2009 with getting an Edit box to take the focus so that I can just start typing. I have recreated the problem with a very simple app. The idea is that the main app opens a second form from the main app's onActivate procedure. The reason for this is that the second form will be used for a login. The second form is opened with ShowModal, and contains an Edit box and a BitBtn set to Kind=bkClose. In the onActivate procedure of the second form, I call Edit1.SetFocus. When I run the app, the second form opens, but the Edit box is not properly selected (focused) -...

Web resources about - A SetFocus Problem or otherwise?? - embarcadero.delphi.general

Supporters, protesters clash outside Trump rally in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Protesters clashed with supporters of Donald Trump after he gave a speech in Utah on Friday, ending a day full of presidential ...

Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam leaves Brussels hospital
Key Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam and an accomplice on Saturday left the Brussels hospital where they were treated overnight for gunshot ...

Jury awards Hulk Hogan $115 million in Gawker sex tape suit
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — A Florida jury sided with ex-pro wrestler Hulk Hogan and awarded him $115 million in his sex tape lawsuit against ...

Minecraft Gets Samsung Gear VR Treatment, New Headset Impresses At Game Developers Conference
More Minecraft fans will find it more difficult to stay away from their games once the title has been fully ported to the Samsung Gear VR, and ...

Microsoft Wants To Get Chrome Extensions Working On Edge
In the latest Windows 10 test build, Microsoft finally introduced extensions to its Edge browser . Not many are available right now, but we suppose ...

Drone Comes Within 200 Feet Of Passenger Jet Coming In To Land At LAX
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The pilot of a Lufthansa passenger jumbo jet reported a drone aircraft nearly collided with the airliner on Friday on ...

Smaller Apple iPad Pro Starting At $599, Coming In 32GB And 128GB
While Apple is set to unveil a new iPhone and iPad Pro during this year’s spring event, it has been reported that the new 9.7-inch Apple iPad ...

Spartans, other upsets mean time to reboot NCAA Tournament
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Nobody wants an NCAA Tournament mulligan more than Michigan State.

IL County Attorney on Extraordinary Court Order Mandating 'Late Voting' Next Week in Adams: 'BradCast' ...
I'm joined on today's BradCast by Adams County, IL State's Attorney Jon Barnard to discuss the extraordinary court order [PDF] issued just last ...

EU Braced for Refugee Setbacks as Turkey Deal Meets Skepticism
Bloomberg EU Braced for Refugee Setbacks as Turkey Deal Meets Skepticism Bloomberg A woman sits on the side of a road after being detained ...