XE8, Firemonkey for Android, cannot load USB driver in Windows 10

Hi,

I just moved to Windows 10, and the upgrade went very well.  Delphi is doing well, until I tried to work on an Android app and cannot talk to my Nexus 7.

I downloaded the latest driver, double clicked on the INF file , which ran and said the driver was installed.  Delphi does not see the device, and I also cannot see it in whatever MyComputer just got renamed do.

Has anyone else gotten it to work, and did you have any particular challanges?
0
Peter
7/31/2015 11:23:26 PM
embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey 4901 articles. 4 followers. Follow

22 Replies
1720 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

Am 01.08.2015 um 01:23 schrieb Peter Guth:
> Hi,
> 
> I just moved to Windows 10, and the upgrade went very well.  Delphi is doing well, until I tried to work on an Android app and cannot talk to my Nexus 7.
> 
> I downloaded the latest driver, double clicked on the INF file , which ran and said the driver was installed.  Delphi does not see the device, and I also cannot see it in whatever MyComputer just got renamed do.
> 
> Has anyone else gotten it to work, and did you have any particular challanges?
> 

Hello,

does the adb.exe command line utility from the Android SDK see it?
To check run adb devices

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
8/2/2015 7:15:33 AM
Thanks for the reply.  I assume you got it to work in Windows 10.

adb.exe cannot find the Nexus.

The Android SDK manager shows the USB driver is loaded.

Upon reflection, it might not be the update to Windows 8 but the installation of another program that wanted to install the SDK again and which I may have started and then tried to stop.  So I will proceed with redoing the SDK, which I recall can be frustrating.
0
Peter
8/2/2015 4:18:33 PM
Am 02.08.2015 um 18:18 schrieb Peter Guth:
> Thanks for the reply.  I assume you got it to work in Windows 10.
> 
> adb.exe cannot find the Nexus.
> 
> The Android SDK manager shows the USB driver is loaded.
> 
> Upon reflection, it might not be the update to Windows 8 but the installation of another program that wanted to install the SDK again and which I may have started and then tried to stop.  So I will proceed with redoing the SDK, which I recall can be frustrating.
> 

Hello,

no I didn't yet try the SDK on Windows 10.
Did you already look in the device manager of Windows?
What's litesd when your Nexus is connected? Is there an unknown device?
if yes right click on it and try to update the drivers. Let is search
through c:\ or the disk you installed the SDK to. That might help.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
8/3/2015 6:03:48 PM
I have tried installing the driver via the SDK, and directly using the file downloaded from the web.  

Nothing works; I cannot see the Nexus from Windows.  So the problem has to be between the Windows 10 and the driver.

My next step is to try going to a Windows 8 tablet to verify nothing happened to the Nexus.

I was really hoping to hear that someone had gotten this to work; trying to find reports of problems with Windows 10 leads to lots of random hits.
0
Peter
8/3/2015 7:43:02 PM
Am 03.08.2015 um 21:43 schrieb Peter Guth:
> I have tried installing the driver via the SDK, and directly using the file downloaded from the web.  
> 
> Nothing works; I cannot see the Nexus from Windows.  So the problem has to be between the Windows 10 and the driver.
> 
> My next step is to try going to a Windows 8 tablet to verify nothing happened to the Nexus.
> 
> I was really hoping to hear that someone had gotten this to work; trying to find reports of problems with Windows 10 leads to lots of random hits.
> 

So you do not see anything unusual in device manager?

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
8/4/2015 4:19:59 PM
Sorry about the delay, but I have terrible luck getting into the forums.  Not having noticed complaints, I assume it is just another issue with my two machines (Win 7 for one, Win 10 for the other).

Device manager shows nothing.  Running the installer says it works, but it does not appear to have any effect on Windows 10.

So I moved to my Windows tablet, did a clean install of Delphi, and I can see the tablet (there are issues with missing Android tools, so I can't compile).
0
Peter
8/7/2015 12:58:08 PM
Peter Guth wrote:
> Sorry about the delay, but I have terrible luck getting into the forums.  Not having noticed complaints, I assume it is just another issue with my two machines (Win 7 for one, Win 10 for the other).

Probably not. We've had stability issues with the forums for quite some 
time. Work is ongoing to try to solve this issue, and I am hoping that 
will happen soon. This is a different discussion, so don't pollute this 
thread with it.
0
quinn
8/7/2015 3:19:24 PM
Peter Guth wrote:

> Sorry about the delay, but I have terrible luck getting into the
> forums.  Not having noticed complaints, I assume it is just another
> issue with my two machines (Win 7 for one, Win 10 for the other).
> 
> Device manager shows nothing.  Running the installer says it works,
> but it does not appear to have any effect on Windows 10.
> 
> So I moved to my Windows tablet, did a clean install of Delphi, and I
> can see the tablet (there are issues with missing Android tools, so I
> can't compile).

Forum stability has been very bad (very as in VERY) for about a year
and a half.  A huge amount of feedback and complaining has occurred.
If you didn't see it it is only because you didn't go back far enough.
Most regulars have grown weary of talking about it.

You probably only went back far enough that any normal system would
have been repaired by now.  That's where you went wrong.

This is, apparently, a "special" system.

You might try using NNTP to the back end.  It's down just as much, but
doesn't result in as much frustration as when the web browser front end
loses a message you typed.

Dan
0
Dan
8/7/2015 4:14:46 PM
Am 07.08.2015 um 17:19 schrieb quinn wildman:
> Peter Guth wrote:
>> Sorry about the delay, but I have terrible luck getting into the forums.  Not having noticed complaints, I assume it is just another issue with my two machines (Win 7 for one, Win 10 for the other).
> 
> Probably not. We've had stability issues with the forums for quite some 
> time. Work is ongoing to try to solve this issue, and I am hoping that 
> will happen soon. This is a different discussion, so don't pollute this 
> thread with it.
> 

Then where to discuss it? ;-)

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
8/7/2015 5:09:45 PM
Peter wrote:

> Sorry about the delay, but I have terrible luck getting into the
> forums.

Everybody is.  You are not alone.  The server goes down often and for long 
periods of time.

-- 
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Remy
8/7/2015 6:43:02 PM
Markus Humm wrote:
> Then where to discuss it?

Discuss it with your friends at the gym would be my suggestion. :-)

It's been beat to death here. We know about it. We have a solution in 
mind, and until that happens there really is no point.
0
quinn
8/7/2015 11:24:54 PM
Am 08.08.2015 um 01:24 schrieb quinn wildman:
> Markus Humm wrote:
>> Then where to discuss it?
> 
> Discuss it with your friends at the gym would be my suggestion. :-)
> 
> It's been beat to death here. We know about it. We have a solution in 
> mind, and until that happens there really is no point.
> 

Hello,

part of it being discussed so much here is the lack of any official
information about status and plans in an official channel. Could have
spared you and the server quite some load ;-)

Now the new question regarding "and until that happens there" is:
when will it happen? is there already a plan for that, or does it still
need approval of the bosses?

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
8/10/2015 6:10:30 PM
quinn wildman wrote:

> Markus Humm wrote:
> > Then where to discuss it?
> 
> Discuss it with your friends at the gym would be my suggestion. :-)
> 
> It's been beat to death here. We know about it. We have a solution in 
> mind, and until that happens there really is no point.

Pardon me, but your reply infers that you don't give much of a hoot
about how it affects customers.   "Discuss it with your friends at the
gym...".  Really?

You confirm the earlier conclusion... there is little or no priority
being placed on this mess by the company.   A year and a half is a very
long time in computer years, a lot could have been accomplished if
someone gave a damn.  Yet not much has been accomplished; ergo...

Dan
0
Dan
8/10/2015 9:33:14 PM
Yes, there is a plan in place. However, I am not at liberty to discuss 
any of the details. Is there anything else to discuss?

Markus Humm wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> part of it being discussed so much here is the lack of any official
> information about status and plans in an official channel. Could have
> spared you and the server quite some load ;-)
>
> Now the new question regarding "and until that happens there" is:
> when will it happen? is there already a plan for that, or does it still
> need approval of the bosses?
>
> Greetings
>
> Markus
>
0
quinn
8/11/2015 4:32:37 PM
Dan Barclay wrote:
> A year and a half is a very
> long time in computer years, a lot could have been accomplished if
> someone gave a damn.

You are correct that forum instability has been going been going on for 
a significant amount of time. I've really lost track of how long, and it 
doesn't matter anyway. If case it matters, I am someone that cares. :-)

IT is in charge of stability, and I'll say more about how they are 
dealing this issue when their plan of action is complete. I will note 
that the most significant part of their plan of action is that other 
stability being resolved, it should be invisible to you. However, I 
should be able to say what was done and when it was done, when it is 
complete. I can say nothing before that time.

So, is there really anything else that needs to be discussed?
0
quinn
8/11/2015 4:46:11 PM
Dan Barclay wrote:

> > It's been beat to death here. We know about it. We have a solution
> > in mind, and until that happens there really is no point.
> 
> Pardon me, but your reply infers that you don't give much of a hoot
> about how it affects customers.

No, it does not infer that at all.

It infers that he thinks it does not fit in this thread, and that he is
fed up with hearing about at the most inappropriate places, and that
there is no point in discussing it, since it will not bring anyone any
further to a solution. They are, after all working on it. And I bet it
is not his fault either, but he gets it thrown at him all the time.

Wouldn't you be fed up? I would.

-- 
Rudy Velthuis        http://www.rvelthuis.de

"The citizen who sees his society's democratic clothes being
 worn out and does not cry it out, is not a patriot, but a
 traitor."
 -- Mark Twain
0
Rudy
8/11/2015 6:01:29 PM
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:

> Dan Barclay wrote:
> 
> > > It's been beat to death here. We know about it. We have a solution
> > > in mind, and until that happens there really is no point.
> > 
> > Pardon me, but your reply infers that you don't give much of a hoot
> > about how it affects customers.
> 
> No, it does not infer that at all.

I disagree, perhaps others do as well.  In any case I was stating my
own opinion.
 
> It infers that he thinks it does not fit in this thread, 

Uhhh... the subject arose because of difficulty in participating in the
thread. So, yes, the subject is explicitly a part of the discussion.

Quinn explicitly changed the Subject title to note that.

> and that he
> is fed up with hearing about at the most inappropriate places, and
> that there is no point in discussing it, since it will not bring
> anyone any further to a solution. They are, after all working on it.

It is possible that, given the length of time to resolve, they need to
reconsider their approach.  In the real world, results count.

If this were 3 or 4 months into the problem, a "they are working on it"
response is appropriate.  That very discussion occured 3 or 4 months
after the response went truly bad... that discussion well over a year
ago.

> And I bet it is not his fault either, but he gets it thrown at him
> all the time.

Nobody said it was his fault.  It is EMB's fault for not having the
problem nailed for so long.  Being put out by people complaining is not
a proper response, if the problem resolution is long overdue.  It is
not inapproiate to point that out.

> Wouldn't you be fed up? I would.

You would, no doubt.  Your own response seems to be to do and say
things that extend and inflame the complaints, rather than help resolve
either the problem or users view of the situation.  But, I could be
wrong.

I pointed out a response that didn't seem appropriate.  Quinn answered
well.  Now you seem to want to start a new thread of rants... is that
your objective?

Dan
0
Dan
8/11/2015 6:34:44 PM
quinn wildman wrote:

> Dan Barclay wrote:
> > A year and a half is a very
> > long time in computer years, a lot could have been accomplished if
> > someone gave a damn.
> 
> You are correct that forum instability has been going been going on
> for a significant amount of time. I've really lost track of how long,
> and it doesn't matter anyway. If case it matters, I am someone that
> cares. :-)

I, and others, appreciate the interest.  Yes, it does matter how long
it has been going on.  You may have lost track of time, users have been
dealing with it and have not lost track... except for the ones who have
left.

Those having difficulty getting on do so less and less.  Their
contribution has dropped significantly, reducing the value of the
forums.  This resource is a ghost of its previous usefulness.

> IT is in charge of stability, and I'll say more about how they are 
> dealing this issue when their plan of action is complete. I will note 
> that the most significant part of their plan of action is that other 
> stability being resolved, it should be invisible to you. However, I 
> should be able to say what was done and when it was done, when it is 
> complete. I can say nothing before that time.
> 
> So, is there really anything else that needs to be discussed?

I'd suggest that you raise the issue up the line (again) and see if
priority or plan can be adjusted.  Stand back and refresh yourself (and
your management) on the length of time and the frustration level of
users.

Better, have your management pledge to log in and carry on conversatons
about this forum (or any other subject) every day... make it a private
forum so they aren't bothered by the rest of us if you want, just get
them online here regularly.  The problem will resolve itself when they
personally deal with it.

Thanks,
Dan
0
Dan
8/11/2015 6:43:59 PM
Am 11.08.2015 um 18:32 schrieb quinn wildman:
> Yes, there is a plan in place. However, I am not at liberty to discuss 
> any of the details. Is there anything else to discuss?
> 

Yep ;-)
Who's at liberty to discuss it? ;-)

(c'mon, this question was forseeable! ;-) )

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
8/11/2015 9:28:08 PM
Markus Humm wrote:
> Who's at liberty to discuss it?

The information is internal only at this time. To find out, you would 
need to become an employee.
0
quinn
8/11/2015 9:41:12 PM
Dan Barclay wrote:
> Yes, it does matter how long
> it has been going on.

No it doesn't. This is because it does not effect the future. The work 
being done will be the same whether the problem has existed for 1 day or 
1000.

 >I'd suggest that you raise the issue up the line

VP's know. Enough said.
0
quinn
8/11/2015 9:53:01 PM
Dan Barclay wrote:

> > > Pardon me, but your reply infers that you don't give much of a
> > > hoot about how it affects customers.
> > 
> > No, it does not infer that at all.
> 
> I disagree, perhaps others do as well.

It doesnt really matter. This is the wrong place and the wrong person
to discuss it with. In the technical forums, stay on topic. If you have
things to discuss that are not about a technical Delphi problem, do it
in non-technical. I will close this thread.

-- 
Rudy Velthuis        http://www.rvelthuis.de

"Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness,
 have few desires."
 -- Lao tzu
0
Rudy
8/12/2015 6:24:26 AM
Reply: