Way too slow on iPhones

Well I just made a simple calculator project to test it out. It is a FireMonkey iOS HD Project. There is no performance problem or anything on both Windows and on emulator. Unfortunately on the actual device everything is way too slow. Even pressing the button and waiting for it to be added to the editbox is taking approximately 0.5seconds which is simply not acceptable. Am I missing a setting or this product is just not ready for iOS even for a simple calculator project?
0
Anonymous

Try uploading the test project to the attachment groups so other could see
whats going on.
0
Gilbert
9/3/2011 3:10:16 PM
> {quote:title=Tumer TOPCU wrote:}{quote}
> Well I just made a simple calculator project to test it out. It is a FireMonkey iOS HD Project. There is no performance problem or anything on both Windows and on emulator. Unfortunately on the actual device everything is way too slow. Even pressing the button and waiting for it to be added to the editbox is taking approximately 0.5seconds which is simply not acceptable.

A half second does not strike me as all that slow, particularly if it's the result of any kind of transition effect or animation or other deliberate delay. Typical transition times between views on iOS are in the 0.35 - 0.55 second range (for example, sliding in a view from the side or "flipping" it over to reveal another view).

You don't say exactly what it is you're doing - maybe post example code as suggested above.

Also, what generation iPhone? The older the slower, so that could also be a factor.

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil
9/3/2011 8:32:09 PM
Tested on iPad2, the performance is not that way too slow but more likes a bit slow (???)

 FYI, the current FM on iOS does not support multi-touch yet... but everything looks quite promising!!!
0
ah
9/3/2011 11:50:18 PM
To be more exact it is a calculator just like windows calculator. 1 edit box and buttons for numbers and operations. When you press a number the onclick event is fired which simply appends one number to the editbox. I didn't even implement the rest just this part. The lag becomes much more apparent as you keep pressing buttons. I.e. you press 10 buttons and 10 numbers appear on teditbox one by one after 5+ seconds.

I have tested on both iPhone 3GS and 4 no difference by the way. Simulator works fine as expected.

I am not talking about switching between views. I am just talking about simply using buttons with one editbox.
0
Anonymous
9/4/2011 12:40:49 AM
> {quote:title=Tumer TOPCU wrote:}{quote}
> To be more exact it is a calculator just like windows calculator. 1 edit box and buttons for numbers and operations. When you press a number the onclick event is fired which simply appends one number to the editbox. I didn't even implement the rest just this part. The lag becomes much more apparent as you keep pressing buttons. I.e. you press 10 buttons and 10 numbers appear on teditbox one by one after 5+ seconds.
>
> I have tested on both iPhone 3GS and 4 no difference by the way. Simulator works fine as expected.
>
> I am not talking about switching between views. I am just talking about simply using buttons with one editbox.

Is there any way to post a video to show us the performance lag?

Edited by: Herbert Sauro on Sep 3, 2011 6:02 PM
0
Herbert
9/4/2011 1:03:28 AM
> {quote:title=Tumer TOPCU wrote:}{quote}
> To be more exact it is a calculator just like windows calculator. 1 edit box and buttons for numbers and operations. When you press a number the onclick event is fired which simply appends one number to the editbox. I didn't even implement the rest just this part. The lag becomes much more apparent as you keep pressing buttons. I.e. you press 10 buttons and 10 numbers appear on teditbox one by one after 5+ seconds.
>
> I have tested on both iPhone 3GS and 4 no difference by the way. Simulator works fine as expected.
>
> I am not talking about switching between views. I am just talking about simply using buttons with one editbox.

That doesn't sound right at all. You should probably post your calculator project as part of a bug report for Delphi XE2, or at least enough of it to reproduce the problem.

I wouldn't expect to see a lag with the Simulator since there you're running i386 code at the full speed of your Mac.

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil
9/4/2011 1:27:19 AM
<>
> I have tested on both iPhone 3GS and 4 no difference by the way. Simulator
> works fine as expected.

Are you using background images for the buttons or wallpapers in your main
view? if thats the case check the size of the images
0
Gilbert
9/4/2011 3:42:36 PM
{quote:title=Tumer TOPCU wrote:}
Well I just made a simple calculator project to test it out. It is a FireMonkey iOS HD Project. There is no performance problem or anything on both Windows and on emulator. Unfortunately on the actual device everything is way too slow. Even pressing the button and waiting for it to be added to the editbox is taking approximately 0.5seconds which is simply not acceptable. Am I missing a setting or this product is just not ready for iOS even for a simple calculator project?{quote}

Funny, I made a calculator project too, and also find performance less good than I hoped:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/4841-hands-on-with-delphi-xe2-for-apple-ios.html

Tim
0
Tim
9/5/2011 9:23:28 AM
Have you tried it as a 3D app? I wonder if the iOS hardware would make things
better. (I had to look up what HD was, and it appears to mean 2D. I'd thought it
was HD as in iPad apps!). If it isn't using the 3D hardware, perhaps it is doing
all the work in processor?

/Matthew Jones/
0
Matthew
9/5/2011 12:26:32 PM
> {quote:title=Tumer TOPCU wrote:}{quote}
> Well I just made a simple calculator project to test it out. It is a FireMonkey iOS HD Project. There is no performance problem or anything on both Windows and on emulator. Unfortunately on the actual device everything is way too slow. Even pressing the button and waiting for it to be added to the editbox is taking approximately 0.5seconds which is simply not acceptable. Am I missing a setting or this product is just not ready for iOS even for a simple calculator project?

You could try adding this line to the initialization section of one of your units:

{code}
  GlobalDisableFocusEffect := true;
{code}

This disables the focusring which appears around edit boxes etc. This makes a huge difference in OS X and Windows, don't know about iOS.

Giel
0
Giel
9/5/2011 7:11:19 PM
Exactly. With some on press event handler (like bit representation finding etc) it gets even worse.
0
Anonymous
9/6/2011 5:21:39 PM
I have tried this one but I didn't really know how to do it. But now I figured out I think without 3D layouts nothing will be visible.
0
Anonymous
9/6/2011 5:22:56 PM
> {quote:title=Tumer TOPCU wrote:}{quote}
> I have tried this one but I didn't really know how to do it. But now I figured out I think without 3D layouts nothing will be visible.

Tried 3D project. Same bad response problem.
0
Anonymous

slow slow slow
Name: Alex Fitzsimmons Email: monkeyboyfactoryatnetscapedotnet Product: Firefox Summary: slow slow slow Comments: Since the last batch of updates were released (2007) all my Mozilla software has started to experience painful opening procedures. What did you guys do? These programs now take forever to open. Sometimes it is more effective to shut it down and use the 2nd attempt to open the software. Mozilla is the ONLY program that has developed this problem. I am disappointed because it has driven my girlfriend (A Mac using Video/Visual artist) to go back to using IE. Now tha...

slow.....slow.....slow
Name: Jack Inyart Email: jackatmacinyartdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: slow.....slow.....slow Comments: I recently downloaded and installed FireFox 3. I am so very disapppointed in the product, in contrast to my previous experiences with FF2. Firefox 3 is so slow to load any page that I am seriously considering returning to either Internet Explorer or, if possible, removing FF3 and returning to FF2 if that would be possible. I have been running comparisons on "time to load" between FF3 and IE 7 and the IE 7 loads pages in about 1/10 to 1/5 the time that ...

TOO SLOW SLOW SLOW
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: TOO SLOW SLOW SLOW Comments: I'm sending this because i have always been a Firefox user but recently I have been disappointed in how slow or delayed it has become. at the present time I have switched to usimg Google Chrome because of its quick response time,however I often check back to see if this problem has resolved. As present I don't see any improvement but I hope this issue is addressed and resolved so I can return to Firefox. Thanks and Good Luck!! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) G...

slow, slow, slow!!!
Name: Phil Mishler Email: pmish20atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: slow, slow, slow!!! Comments: Just installed Firefox 3.6 beta 5. Three times I closed it out and reloaded. Each time it took 2 min. 15 sec. to load. Chrome takes 2 seconds. Guess which I will use. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2b5) Gecko/20091204 Firefox/3.6b5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (...

Slow, slow, slow
Name: Joe Goddard Email: sgoddar1atsandotrrdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Slow, slow, slow Comments: I just installed Firefox 3 beta 1. The start up is still painfully slow compared to Safari. Is this software "bloat"? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9b1) Gecko/2007110903 Firefox/3.0b1 ...

Slow slow slow
Name: Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Slow slow slow Comments: Firefox has gotten so slow as of late it's incredible. I've had switch back over to safari for some tasks just so I can say... look something up on IMDb. I still love you firefox! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2b5) Gecko/20091204 Firefox/3.6b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it...

Slow slow slow
Name: Mathieu Product: eBay Companion Summary: Slow slow slow Comments: It makes my browser extremely slow!!!!! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 Hi Mathieu, Do you have many items on my eBay? If not, what other extensions do you have? Thanks! On May 9, 8:32 am, Mathieu <hendrix-no-replyatmozilladotorg> wrote: > Name: Mathieu > Product: eBay Companion > Summary: Slow slow slow > > Comments: > It makes my browser extremely slow!!!!! > > Browser Details: Mozilla/5...

Slow, slow, slow
Name: Joe Goddard Email: sgoddar1atsandotrrdotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Slow, slow, slow Comments: I just installed Firefox 3 beta 1. The start up is still painfully slow compared to Safari. Is this software "bloat"? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9b1) Gecko/2007110903 Firefox/3.0b1 ...

Slow, Slow, Slow....
For some unknown reason, Thunderbird is running as slow as molasses=92...Is there anything that can be done to speed the emailer up?? Thank You.. On 05/07/2011 10:26 AM, Navy wrote: > For some unknown reason, Thunderbird is running as slow as > molasses´┐Ż...Is there anything that can be done to speed the emailer > up?? > > Thank You.. > This could be related to your other problem so take it one thing at a time. Under Help menu, open troubleshooting information and paste it to another post here. Might show something (BTW, while there, Opening Containing Fo...

Slow slow very slow
Hi I have updated my opensuse 11.2 to 11.3. i use it on HP Laptop pavillion when the PC boot, i wait at least 5 min before to get kdm screen login i have look at the boot text console, and saw opensuse is block on line sm_notify " "idmapd" any idea ? i don't think is a nfs problem but ? regards -- Enthalpie ------------------------------------------------------------------------ What is the output of: Code: -------------------- rpm -qa | grep courier-imap -------------------- and Code: -------------------- ...

SLOW SLOW SLOW
Name: Tom Horstman Email: th577atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: SLOW SLOW SLOW Comments: I have been a user for 2-3 years. It seams that each "new" version gets slower and slower to load the pages. The latest is the slowest. Just some feed back to think about. MS Explorer is now much faster than Firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Slow...slow...slow
What could be the cause to slow down the Netware server. Any command type on the console it takes quite sometime to execute. Sometime take couple of minutes. I had unload all the services & modules. I had run the RAID check consistency & vrepair, but no help. The server is installed with NW5.1 SP4 & running BM3.5 sp3 but i had unload the BM modules. William C. wrote: > What could be the cause to slow down the Netware server. > Any command type on the console it takes quite sometime to execute. Sometime > take couple of minutes. I had unload all the ...

Delphi XE4 incredibly slow to render form when debugging a FireMonkey app
I have just started using Delphi XE4 having previously been using XE3. I am having a problem when running any FireMonkey application, even something as simple as a form with a label. Once the compiler has finished it takes around 20 seconds before the form is displayed. If I run the application from the EXE the delay is gone. I've tried compiling without debugging info and the problem persists. Can anyone recommend a course of action to find a solution to this? Kind regards Tristan ...

Ways to prove Delphi is better than Delphi?!?!?!?
The subject sounds interesting isn't it? I read an article on PHP with similar title. Reading the title sparked my interest! I thought something like this should also exist for Delphi. Here is the original PHP article link: http://tinyurl.com/blbky43 Hope someone will compile such a list of existing Delphi code. I like the "Evolving the language without Waiting for New Versions" point... I have played with some ideas to do that in Delphi. 1- The latest one was "array of vars" (like array of const but to modify the values) I posted the source code...

Web resources about - Way too slow on iPhones - embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey

Apple - iPhone 4S - The most amazing iPhone yet.
The faster dual-core A5 chip. The 8MP camera with all-new optics also shoots 1080p HD video. And introducing Siri. It's the most amazing iPhone ...

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and released on June 29, 2007. The 5th generation iPhone, the iPhone 4S , was announced on October 4, 2011, and released 10 days later. An iPhone ...

A Closer Look At The iPhone
Apple Inc's Phil Schiller shows John Blackstone the many features of the iPhone. Apple's latest product will go on sale this June.

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... 5S , 6 , and 6 Plus Bluetooth 4.0 The user interface is built around the device's multi-touch screen, including a virtual keyboard . The iPhone ...

iPhone Murder Apps2010 - Imdb
Directed by Lauren Palmigiano. With Emma Stone.

Find My iPhone - iTunes
If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your ...

iPhone - CrunchBase
Apple 's iPhone was introduced at MacWorld in January 2007 and officially went on sale June 29, 2007, selling 146,000 units within the first ...

How-to articles for iPhone development and Objective-C
This question is protected to prevent "thanks!", "me too!", or spam answers by new users. To answer it, you must have earned at least 10 reputation ...

Apple iPhone 3G 8GB - Unlocked - Amazon
The Apple iphone 3G 8GB - Unlocked is the second generation Apple device designed to work anywhere in the world. Just pop in your sim card and ...

Next iPhone News, Latests Rumors
News, Rumors and Tips about the Apple iPhone 5S, IPhone 5C, and IPhone 6