Report from Delphi Conference

Hi, today I attended in the Delphi Conference 2011, that happened in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

In the event we had the presence of David I, Andreano Lanusse, Jim Tierney and Embarcadero Staff. And more than 700 developers!

As expected the main point was Delphi XE2 and Fire Monkey (that’s why I’m posting here). Many presentations ware related to the new platforms supported: Win64, Mac and iOS. There was no new big facts or roadmaps in this Conference. But David I enforced during his keynote that the Embarcadero developers are working hard to provide soon more components to allow better usage of the iOS environment. The development to bring Android support for a next version of FireMonkey was mentioned too.

I talked directly with David I and Andreano about the issues and barriers we are finding to start with Fire Monkey, specially for iOS:

- Still too few documentation
- Lack of real world demos and tutorials (the ones available are too basic)
- Missing components for iOS (internet, user interface, iOS native behavior, etc)
- No documentation about the native environment via FreePascal some are using as workaround for missing FM components

David said that it’s all too new that they had no time yet to complete the documentation, but that there is work on it. He mentioned that authors like Dr. Bob Swart and Marco Cantu are already working on FireMonkey books. He also mentioned the work by Anders Ohlsson and the iphoneall components. David said that Embarcadero knows all these needs and that they are working to solve such issues.

Andreano mentioned the frequency of updates, that is high, and will remain frequent, bringing the enhancements. I asked about the iOS “feeling” that is still missing, and he said that there are new styles to enhance it. About the resource to zoom an image with a finger pinch, he said that it depends on the implementation of Gestures, that is scheduled only for a next version… (XE3?). I asked him to consider to have priority to this kind of feature, just because our focus NOW is to produce iOS apps, and we
 need iOS feeling on these apps now – we cannot wait another year to solve such things…  (every iOS user will try to zoom with a finger pinch…)

I complained about the small presence of Embarcadero staff and Team “E” here in this forum (FireMonkey), and both promised that they will be more present. We know that even Team “E” is still learning all this new stuff, so we really need the help of Embarcadero Developers, here in the Forum, to guide us.

All of us, as old Delphi users, are happy with the great evolution Delphi XE2 brought to us, and we know that Embarcadero may have a (competitor) killer tool. But this success is tied on how they will support us. If they leave us alone, having troubles to use the new resources, or the resources remain incomplete, it will kill the product. If we need to invest huge time with other frameworks or languages, like Objective C and XCode, to be able to make it work, Delphi will have no sense. We need the informa
tion necessary to make FireMonkey (including iOS) really RAD, with an easy learning curve that will bring high productivity, as only pure Delphi can provide!
0
Marcelo

Great news, thanks for the heads up Marcelo. Just purchased Delphi XE2 Pro today so I'm pleased to hear more help on using it is on the way.
Cheers

> {quote:title=Marcelo Carvalho wrote:}{quote}
> Hi, today I attended in the Delphi Conference 2011, that happened in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
>
> In the event we had the presence of David I, Andreano Lanusse, Jim Tierney and Embarcadero Staff. And more than 700 developers!
>
> As expected the main point was Delphi XE2 and Fire Monkey (that’s why I’m posting here). Many presentations ware related to the new platforms supported: Win64, Mac and iOS. There was no new big facts or roadmaps in this Conference. But David I enforced during his keynote that the Embarcadero developers are working hard to provide soon more components to allow better usage of the iOS environment. The development to bring Android support for a next version of FireMonkey was mentioned too.

0
Alan
12/1/2011 5:25:56 AM
' If they leave us alone, having troubles to use the new resources, or the resources remain incomplete, it will kill the product. If we need to invest huge time with other frameworks or languages, like Objective C and XCode, to be able to make it work, Delphi will have no sense. We need the information necessary to make FireMonkey (including iOS) really RAD, with an easy learning curve that will bring high productivity, as only pure Delphi can provide!'
exactly!!
0
da

ANN: Delphi HTML Reports preview

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2009 automatic bug reports appear as Delphi.NET issues
For automatic bug reports, Delphi 2009 seems to put 'Delphi.NET' into the field for 'Project'. I will try to verify it and enter it in QC. Unfortunately this means I have to use the QC database for 'testing', but will delete my test entries if I have verified the problem. Michael Justin Michael Justin wrote: > For automatic bug reports, Delphi 2009 seems to put 'Delphi.NET' into > the field for 'Project'. AFAIK this is as expected. There is no project "RAD Studio" and so "Delphi.NET" has been choosen as proj...

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi report
Hello, Is there any FREE reporting tools for Delphi other than QuickReport and Freereport ? Thank you Dear Mike Thomas! Also you can use internal in Delphi Rave Reports :) Or use non-free report generators like FastReport (price starts from $79). Try to find free/chipper but better... "Mike Thomas" wrote: news:169748@forums.codegear.com... > Hello, > > Is there any FREE reporting tools for Delphi other than QuickReport and > Freereport ? > > Thank you -- Best regards, Michael Philippenko mailto:michael@fast-report.com Fast Repor...

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi and virus, or virus and Delphi.

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Web resources about - Report from Delphi Conference - embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey

San Remo conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Conference was an international meeting of the post- World War I Allied Supreme Council , held in Sanremo , Italy , from 19 to 26 April 1920. ...

Software Development Conferences Forecast December 2015
Here is a list of software development related conferences and events on Agile project management ( Scrum, Lean, Kanban), software testing and ...

2nd World Internet Conference concludes with initiative
2nd World Internet Conference concludes with initiative

WATCH LIVE: Fiesta Bowl Post Game Press Conferences
Ohio State has won four in a row against Notre Dame.

McCarron News Conference: 12/30
AJ McCarron talks with the media about this week's home game against the Baltimore Ravens.

New $10M study to cap I95 along Delaware River announced in Nutter's final press conference - Philadelphia ...
The outgoing mayor jokingly suggested he'd be a TV news anchor while announcing the study in his final press conference in office.

Looking Back at 2015 & BlogHer Conferences
... #shamelessplug). But the end of the year is always a great time for looking back, reflecting on the year we had producing #BlogHer conferences ...

SEO in 2015: A Retrospective for the Introspective – Virtual Conference Recap
SEO in 2015: A Retrospective for the Introspective – Virtual Conference Recap was originally published on BruceClay.com, home of expert search ...

Employees were so angry about Good's sale to Blackberry, someone broke a conference room window
... Technologies in March of 2015. Employees, needless to say, were upset. "A few nights after the investor document went around, a glass conference ...

Carlos Ghosn’s Interview At The Energy For Tomorrow Conference In Paris
... to change fast. In the short video below, one finds fascinating points from Carlos Ghosn’s interview at the “Energy For Tomorrow” conference ...