How to Change Tablet App to Phone app in Delphi XE8? [Edit]

Hi, i've created an app more specifically for tablets. So if the screen is smaller than 7 inch not everything fits. I do work with layouts and Align properties so everything gets scaled accordingly to the screen size.
I know a few options to make the app useable for phones ass well. But not sure what the best way is.

Option1:
Create multiple Views for each size screen.

Option2:
Use ScaledLayout to make everything smaller or bigger.

Option3:
Use scrollBox.

Option4:
Edit component sizes in FormCreate after checking screen size.

Option5:
Devide in more Forms.

*So what's the best option or are there even better ways to do this?*

Edited by: Remi Arts on Jul 28, 2015 5:24 AM
0
Remi

Those are all good options but I don't know that there is a "best" option. It depends on the use case. For example, if you are building a game TScaledLayout may be the way to go. I've had success scaling games to the screensize. On the other hand I've built games that use the Align properties as well.

One option you didn't list was the TMultiView component. Basically it morphs to different functionality based on what the device size is. So it is a drawer or a button that opens as a menu on phones or just a side bar on tablets. If you use native controls like TWebBrowser it may not work for you though.

http://community.embarcadero.com/index.php/blogs/entry/designing-app-navigation-with-tmultiview

Customizing the different views for each device is also an option:

http://community.embarcadero.com/index.php/blogs/entry/custom-views

Maybe you have to deploy multiple methods within the same app as appropriate. For example, maybe instead of a bunch of buttons you have 1 button which does a TPopup that contains the other buttons.

Also this article shows ways reduce interface complexity.

http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1950
0
Eli

Delphi 7 app to web app conversion [Edit]
My company has an old Windows engineering application that we would like to convert to a web application so that we can offer it as a software as a service. The application is written primarily in Delphi 7 with the heavy number crunching done in Fortran (I did say it was old!). We would like to reuse as much of the existing Delphi code as possible and only modify the Fortran enough so that it will run in the background on the web server. We have never developed a web application so we're looking for guidance on the best way to make this conversion. Our questions at this point: ...

How to build enterprise-grade Delphi app
Hi It would be nice to build enterprise-grade appl with Delphi, but are the options or third party software (like in J2EE) to do this? e.g. 1) there is J2EE middleware for hosting components - developer is not required to handle all the issues that are connected with session handling and different contexts in which the components can be stored (like application, session, request context, etc.). I understand that some of this can be done in DataSnap or in Web Services (can be even PHP, Java or .NET) and Delphi client - but in both cases there are some drawbacks: - for DataSnap - much shou...

XG Mobile App (Delphi XE2/Firemonkey ) now in the app store
My app is finally in the App Store. My thanks go to forum members for the help provided in all the post here. Xavier Dufaure de Citres ----- _*XG Mobile for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch now in the App Store*_ XG Mobile is the portable version of the acclaimed program "eXtreme Gammon" for PC. You can now have the power and accuracy of eXtreme Gammon in the palm of your hands. In its few years of existence (since 2009) eXtreme gammon has been recognized as the best backgammon program available. This has been confirmed by top players in the world and by independen...

calling a c++ dll from a delphi vcl app crashes the app upon exit [Edit]
I am using RAD Studio 2010 and I downloaded the latest updates. Since I can't see how I can attach a file to the message, I included in this message the source code for each file: To reproduce this problem follow these steps: Create a project group with two projects, one c++ dll project and one a Delphi VCL forms project. Save all the files in the same folder. 1. Use the wizard to create the c++ dll project, select c++ & Use VCL checkboxes. Make sure Project Options->C++ Linker->Dynamic RTL is set to true. I also added memmgr.lib and sharemem.obj to the project but I bel...

What advantages have to build one delphi xe7 app vs hybrid app as html5 bu? [Edit]
I need to know which mobile advanced hardware characteristics differences has delphi xe7 vs html5 builder for example. I need this characteristics: TEXT EDITING Text in different directions Changing Color On a picture Copy and paste Change Font delete uppercase lowercase Save phrases Select a saved phrase Bank of personal texts PHOTOS OR IMAGES Pulling photos or images already created cut paste Change in size turn Bank of personal images Drawings predefined Figures Lines or free strokes Change color and thickness Fillings Copy and paste delete Personal bank ...

Firemonkey app from Delphi XE2 -> Dropbox & iCloud [Edit]
Im developing an app for iOS and MacOS Is there any component or a way to connect to Dropbox and iCloud using Delphi XE2? > {quote:title=laureano bonilla wrote:}{quote} > Im developing an app for iOS and MacOS > > Is there any component or a way to connect to Dropbox and iCloud using Delphi XE2 For iCloud, you will need support for both iOS 5.0 and 10.7 Lion. I don't believe XE2 even supports the classes added with iOS 4.x, much less 5.0, although you can parse the iOS 5.0 UIKit and Foundation headers yourself: http://web.me.com/macpgmr/ObjP/Xcode4/iOS_5_Parsing_...

New video of camera surveillance app made with Delphi XE5 and FireMonkey [Edit]
Hello guys I know that most of you have already seen the video from our mobile camera surveillance system, but today I uploaded a new video showing the final version, which has a much better interface than the previous version, along with some nice features that you all will like to see. I would recommend the PTZ and Virtual Matrix sections which shows some nice GUI controls made with Firemonkey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lQGA8-sO9w The app is also available for download for Android, instructions are available on the video description > {quote:title=Eric Fleming Bonilha w...

Are there any Delphi apps on the iTunes or Mac App Store?
So XE2 has been out for a while now. Surely there must be some apps created with it on either app store (or otherwise). Can someone point me out to those? > {quote:title=Martin Kammann wrote:}{quote} > So XE2 has been out for a while now. Surely there must be some apps created > with it on either app store (or otherwise). > Can someone point me out to those? Anders has one: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anders-analog-clock/id475178939?mt=8 And I believe Bob Swart does too. Note that you're not required to use the Mac App Store to deploy your apps to OS X. ...

Delphi app in Apple App Store for iOS
Have you guys with iPhones and iPads seen that there is a Delphi produced app, running Interbase To Go, approved for download on the Apple App Store? I can't find a link on the web, but search "Embarcadero" on the app store and it shows up. (My daughter showed me. ;-) ) -- Nick > I can't find a link on the web, but search "Embarcadero" on the app > store and it shows up. (My daughter showed me. ;-) ) There are 6 apps that shows up... which one is it? - Palo Alto - Embarcadero (Fom Scott James, mapping software or something..) - Heart of...

Dragging and dropping a .WAV from Delphi App to other apps
Is there an easy way to drag a .WAV file from a Delphi 2006 App to another app. It's not from a listbox or anything like that. It's from a custom window. My code would need to be responsible for generating a .WAV file based on where the person initially clicked on a window. Is the only way to drop a file from a Delphi 2006 to use complicated COM routines? If so, then would the other app that receives the file need complicated com routines too, or would it work with any app that could accept a the same dropped file type from Explorer? Thanks. "Jeff Ya...

How do You Write a Web App that Looks like Your Delphi App
Hi I have written an application that I would like to port into a web application. What is the best language to choose. For example php, Ruby on Rails or some other language.. Thank you. > {quote:title=Peter Skinner wrote:}{quote} > Hi > > I have written an application that I would like to port into a web application. What is the best language to choose. > > For example php, Ruby on Rails or some other language.. > > Thank you. Here's something you can try with very little investment of time, which is to auto-convert your existing app's m...

Suitable Android phone for Delphi App
I work with small farmers in Africa and Asia, designing data-systems used by the companies which buy their products (coffee, vanilla, nuts etc.) Farm-inspection is a key role. Inspectors visit with lots of paper-forms and questionnaires which are filled in. Some of my users have already migrated to Windows tablets for data collection. But Windows tablets are rare and costly. I have written a couple of Android Apps. Not too big, but they will do useful "small jobs" for the inspectors. However few inspectors yet own smart phones. My client-businesses will have to buy them. ...

Pop-up on Mobile apps (FireMonkey / Delphi )
Hi everyone, I'm currently working on a FireMonkey mobile app with Delphi (XE6) and since i'm really new to this i'm in need of a little bit of help. For my App i'd like to build in a subscription screen that would work like a pop-up, showing modal on the same form than the login. I've been looking around a bit on the internet but couldn't find any usefull advice. I found a video ("FireMonkey: Showing Modal form with animation and Shadow effect" from Yaroslav Brovin) thad proved me that it was possible, but was unable to find how. I'm sure it'...

Delphi app?
Have a look. http://profantasy.com/products/ft_creating.asp What do you think? Delphi app? -- Dennis Landi Allied Data, Inc. http://www.allied-data.com Electron Server http://www.electronserver.com Dennis Landi wrote: > What do you think? Delphi app? Cool! I got a C code from a Danish guy 15 years ago for the calculations - and created an app that created GIF images of fractal planetary maps in Linux. I mostly used it to create random maps to my desktop background(!). Finally someone has wrote a product of the subject (with some extensions:)... The opt...

Web resources about - How to Change Tablet App to Phone app in Delphi XE8? [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey

Name change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For name changes within the Wikipedia community, see Wikipedia:Changing username . For name changes of places rather than persons, see Geographical ...

Gold Coast Commonwealth Games tender call unlikely to change
Minister says US company doesn't need to worry about audit.

How Will a 10,000-Character Limit Change Twitter Marketing?
After a whirlwind of recent changes — co-founder Jack Dorsey returning as CEO and some notable layoffs — Twitter is poised to make one of its ...

Apple is making a big change to its iAd advertising sales platform
... HBO welcomes you to ‘Sesame Street’ beginning Jan. 16 , and SoundCloud CEO says subscriptions are coming in 2016 . Apple is making a big change ...

43 Reasons SEOs Can’t Fear Change: 2016 Digital Marketing Predictions
43 Reasons SEOs Can’t Fear Change: 2016 Digital Marketing Predictions was originally published on BruceClay.com, home of expert search engine ...

Here's a 3-minute animation that will completely change the way you see the universe
Carl Sagan told us that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on all of the Earth's beaches. At the same time, there ...

Chinese artist lauds change in Lego's political policy
Plastic brick maker had refused to ship Ai Weiwei blocks in bulk, which he decried as "censorship and discrimination"

Growing trend to change retail business
Whether retailers like it or not, shoppers are raising the stakes of the game: they want to shop online and pick up in store.

Market Research Firm: Cadbury Creme Egg Sales Down £6 Million After Recipe Change Outside Of U.S.
At this time last year, the rest of the world was freaking out over the prospect of a change to the recipe of Cadbury Creme Eggs. Here in the ...

White House Frustrated That Obama’s SOTU Speeches Don’t Change Public Opinion
White House Frustrated That Obama’s SOTU Speeches Don’t Change Public Opinion