Firemonkey

I am so dammed frustrated with firemonkey and livebindings.

The VCL + DB Controls were fast, consistent, and stable.  This fmx
framework is crap.  It's slow on my i5 Macbook.  I'd be embarrassed to
put out an app like this.  The help is lousy and apparently very few
people are using it based on my failed Google searches.  I can see why.

Livebindings is cute when you have a few fields, but it a rats nest when
you have a moderately complex form and have to wire up dozens of
controls.   There is no official support for nullable fields in
livebindings which blows my mind.

The FMX layout controls are terrible.

The IDE crashes every few hours when trying to use it.

  I give up.  I'm building the multi platform version of this app in
angular/boostrap/node.  I get a nice clean MVVM architecture and
ironically its faster than my "native" fmx app.

I'll stick with the VCL for windows apps because it's amazing for that.
0
Mike

I'm leery of LiveBindings. So far I've been better served by TIniFile.

Have you looked at the third party controls from http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmsfmxpack.asp ? It has a good object grid control. I never use TFlowLayout or any of those others. I have used TGridPanelLayout and it was decent. I mainly use TLayout and the Align property.

Also this one was really fast on Android:
http://www.woll2woll.com/woll2woll-firepower.html
0
Eli
6/9/2015 3:49:18 AM
On 06/08/2015 11:14 AM, Mike Margerum wrote:
> Livebindings is cute when you have a few fields, but it a rats nest when
> you have a moderately complex form and have to wire up dozens of
> controls.   There is no official support for nullable fields in
> livebindings which blows my mind.

I agree with Live Bindings designer could use a rethink. I use frames to
compartmentalize my Live Bindings.

> The FMX layout controls are terrible.

Sometimes, it's a little tricky. You have to rethink how you layout controls. Don't
hesitate to use Padding and Margin properties. Favor TLayout (and its variants) rather
than TPanel.
0
Kyle
6/9/2015 6:20:06 PM
> I agree with Live Bindings designer could use a rethink. I use frames to
> compartmentalize my Live Bindings.
>
>> The FMX layout controls are terrible.
>
> Sometimes, it's a little tricky. You have to rethink how you layout controls. Don't
> hesitate to use Padding and Margin properties. Favor TLayout (and its variants) rather
> than TPanel.

Thanks Kyle.  The TFlowlayout doesn't work like the VCL one does.  I'd
expect it to realign the controls inside when the visibility of the
controls changes.  This is just one of a death by a 1000 cuts though.

I'm using Delphi VCL because it lets me crank our fast, good looking
apps quickly in a 2 tier setting.  Delphi+firedac+flexcel+a good set a
db controls is amazingly productive.  I'm writing so much boilerplate to
get a "proper" separation of concerns that I may as well just build
everything with web tech.  It's less code.

Delphi in a 3 tier setting with FMX is actually more work than building
a web app and it's slow.

Once angular 2 is completed with typescript support, i'll probably just
migrate to that or aurelia.  Javascript is hard to write well, but
typescript is very nice.  Once they get the async/await stuff into
typescript, it will be a very productive environment.

If I didn't already do iOS native dev, i'd probrably tough it out with
Delphi, but i'm just keeping it around for existing windows apps i have.
  I'll keep the SA for a while to see how things progress.
0
Mike
6/9/2015 6:41:29 PM
I'm going to persevere and get this mac/windows module using FMX done
since it's about 80% complete but I sure hope EMB improves the FMX
experience.

I like the Delphi language and the VCL has been a workhorse for me.
0
Mike
6/10/2015 4:28:23 PM
> I agree with Live Bindings designer could use a rethink. I use frames to
> compartmentalize my Live Bindings.

I ripped live bindings out and and using the TMS Live grid and now the
grids are very responsive.  Thank god for 3rd party components.
0
Mike

Installing components for FireMonkey HD and FireMonkey iOS
Hi, How do I install components for both FireMonkey HD and FireMonkey iOS? I have one package 'FMXMyFireMonkeyControl' and 'FMIFireMonkeyControl' which both point to the same file with the same registration 'TFireMonkeyControl'. If I compile one package (FMXMyFireMonkeyControl) it installs correctly, then change the include file (FMCompile.INC) to compile for IOS (FMIFireMonkeyControl) which is included in the FMX.FireMonkeyControl.pas file: {$I FMCOMPILE.INC} uses {$IFDEF COMPILEIOS} FMX_Types, FMX_Objects, FMX_Forms, FMX_Dialogs, FMX_Effe...

Making Firemonkey more compatible with Delphi
I have programmed in Delphi since 1995 Delphi1 I am now evaluating Delphi XE4. It boggles my mind, why embarcadero has lost the most important aspects of Delphi. Simplicity and Fast User Interface creation. I can easily see how Firemonkey can be improved to bring it in line with traditional Delphi Techniques by doing the following. 1. All Firemonkey controls need a data aware counterpart. 2. Firemonkey Styles need to be converted to TControl descendants. 3. ie. TLayout goes to TPanel ( TFMXPanel ) 4. ie. TRectangle does to TFrame TFMXFrame ) 5. LiveBindings gets placed un...

Delphi XE2, OSX and FireMonkey?
1. Does anyone know if developing with FireMonkey will be the only way to develop for OSX with XE2? 2. Does anyone know if you will need to compile on a Mac for OSX, or will XE2 cross compile? I know this will all come out during the world tour, but I'm just trying to get some idea so I can start planning. 1. Yes, I think for now it will be the only way. But you can probably build a native UI for OSX by directly using the API, like you can also develop Win32 applications without using the VCL. 2. XE2 will only be available for Windows, but it will compile for other platforms. &l...

ANN: Delphi XE2 FireMonkey BOOK
September 5, 2012 Coogara Consulting is pleased to announce that our new book is available: "FireMonkey Development for iOS and OS X with Delphi XE2" by Graeme Chandler. It is available printed (comb binding) or in PDF and MOBI (Kindle compatible) formats. Only from: http://shop.coogara.com Regards Graeme Chandler Coogara Consulting http://www.coogara.com.au http://shop.coogara.com http://www.strikingwood.com.au Graeme Chandler wrote: > Coogara Consulting is pleased to announce that our new book is > available: > > "FireMonkey Dev...

Pop-up on Mobile apps (FireMonkey / Delphi )
Hi everyone, I'm currently working on a FireMonkey mobile app with Delphi (XE6) and since i'm really new to this i'm in need of a little bit of help. For my App i'd like to build in a subscription screen that would work like a pop-up, showing modal on the same form than the login. I've been looking around a bit on the internet but couldn't find any usefull advice. I found a video ("FireMonkey: Showing Modal form with animation and Shadow effect" from Yaroslav Brovin) thad proved me that it was possible, but was unable to find how. I'm sure it'...

Delphi XE5 Firemonkey iOS7 Style (where is it?)
It says here http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/whats-new that XE5 has "iOS 7 SDK support and style" Where is the iOS7 style? - All I can see is iOS6 style components. I can compile on iOS7 and it will bring up the keyboard in iOS 7 but none of the drag and drop components from firemonkey are iOS7 style. Am I missing something obvious? > {quote:title=David Templar wrote:}{quote} > It says here http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/whats-new that XE5 has "iOS 7 SDK support and style" > > Where is the iOS7 style? - All I can see is...

Delphi, Firemonkey, IOS, and TCP howto?
I was really excited about the new ability to compile IOS apps written in Delphi, but I'm starting to find some major limitations, unless I'm really overlooking something. I want to write an iphone/pad app that needs to retrieve data from a socket connection, or from a webpage (http, webservice, anything). It seems that all of the Firemonkey internet and indy components are not supported within xcode. Am I overlooking something here, or is this a feature that will not be implemented, or is it planned to be implemented? If this kind of communication is not supported, this is a hu...

Delphi FireMonkey project / testComplete and MSAA
Hi I am actualy working on a new team project developped using FireMonkey. We want to create automated tests with TestComplete which is already used to run tests on some VCL projects. Unfortunatly, we discovered that TestComplete is not directly compatible with FireMonkey application, it only sees the windows but not the controls on it. Making some research we, found that TestComplete is able to identify controls thanks to MSAA. So we created a really short project (only one form with some controls) using the FireMonkey Accessibility Pack in order to look at TestComplete's behavio...

ANN: TMS Pack for FireMonkey v1.5 with new TMS Grid for FireMonkey released
We're very proud to announce the availability of TMS Pack for FireMonkey v1.5 at http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmsfmxpack.asp that includes our new TMS Grid for FireMonkey and also a new Outlook style navigation bar and advanced edit controls. Screenshot: http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/img/TMSFMXGridCollection_small.png TMS Grid for FireMonkey feature set: - Fully style-able, customizable and architected from the ground up for FireMonkey - Fully cross platform, support for Win32, Win64, Mac OSX, iOS - High performance: handles >500.000 rows, >10.000 columns witho...

Delphi firemonkey form and keyboard Previous/Next
If I have a web a webform (html) with many fields the Iphone and Ipad keyboard show Previous/Next field. Is there a way to get this functionality with Delphi and a FM form ? B ...

Firemonkey - XE 5 - Mac OS X Firemonkey HD App
My Firemonkey applications have no icon when they run in the dock. What is odd is that when I navigate in the finder to the app bundle to /Users/my_user_id/RADPAServer/scratch-dir I see the icon there, and if I open the app bundle, it contains the .icns file, which seems valid. But the Finder itself, in my iMac running OS X 10.8.5 seems to refuse to show the icon in the dock. Running the app bundle normally (not via RADPASERVER) also results in a broken icon. Note that if I make an icon myself, using the OS X app Icon Composer, and put it in there, it seems valid, but (a) the defau...

Are Threads and Timers preemptive in FireMonkey under Delphi XE3?
I've searched the forum and tried to find this in the documentation - all to no avail. I'm starting a new project and I'm considering moving from XE2 to XE3 for it. In my app, I need to have several timers and threads running and THE key requirement is that they are not subject to blocking. The app will need to run under both Windows and OS X. Any help is appreciated. -Mike > In my app, I need to have several timers and threads running > and THE key requirement is that they are not subject to blocking. You should expect similar behaviour to the VCL. Are you not ge...

Web resources about - Firemonkey - embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey

firemonkeys - iMore