FireMonkey - iOS without a Mac possible ?

Hello,

I currently upgraded to Delphi XE2 and believed the advertisement of Embarcadero that Development of iOS-apps is now possible on a Win-PC with Delphi XE2:

***************************
From http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi :

Deploy to Windows, Mac and iOS

With the included FireMonkey platform, Delphi makes it easy to build your application and compile natively to both Windows and Mac OS X. You can also create stunning iOS mobile apps for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad and distribute on Apple's App Store. Delphi FireMonkey applications take full advantage of the power and speed of your devices CPU and GPU.
*****************************

Ha-ha, fool I am.
Nice joke. No way.
I compiled a small IPhone-sample app, but all I got was a usual .exe for Windows. No further infos or export-options to transfer that compiled app on my IPodTouch.
After searching for some hours, I finally came to the well hidden 'help'-site that tells me that I principally could do that, but only if I buy additionally a MAC for some thousand Euros.
I first thought I don't see right, but that is the case.

Embarcadero obviously 'forgot' to write that in their advertisement.
Unbelievable.

So, is there any chance to get a fully working iOS-app entirely created on only a windows-PC and to transfer that on a iPhone, iPad etc WITHOUT the need of a MAC ?

Thanks for any help.
0
Ralf

Hello Ralf,

> I currently upgraded to Delphi XE2 and believed the advertisement of
> Embarcadero that Development of iOS-apps is now possible on a Win-PC
> with Delphi XE2:

You can *develop* for iOS, but you need a Mac to fully compile for iOS.
This is clearly outlined in the IDE documentation, not in advertisements,
which do not provide specific techical details.

> After searching for some hours

Then you did not read the documentation that shipped with the IDE.  There
is a whole section on developing for iOS:

ms-help://embarcadero.rs_xe2/rad/FireMonkey_Development_Setup_for_iOS.html

> So, is there any chance to get a fully working iOS-app entirely
> created on only a windows-PC and to transfer that on a iPhone,
> iPad etc WITHOUT the need of a MAC ?

Not at this time, no.  Developing for iOS requires the use of XCode (which
is only available for Mac systems) and FreePascal.  This is largely due to
the fact that the current Delphi compiler does not support compiling to Mac/iOS
binaries directly.  That is going to be addressed in a future next-gen Delphi
compiler.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> Hello,
>
> I currently upgraded to Delphi XE2 and believed the advertisement of
> Embarcadero that Development of iOS-apps is now possible on a Win-PC
> with Delphi XE2:
>
> ***************************
> From http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi :
>
> Deploy to Windows, Mac and iOS
>
> With the included FireMonkey platform, Delphi makes it easy to build
> your application and compile natively to both Windows and Mac OS X. You
> can also create stunning iOS mobile apps for the iPhone, iPod Touch and
> iPad and distribute on Apple's App Store. Delphi FireMonkey applications
> take full advantage of the power and speed of your devices CPU and GPU.
> *****************************
>
> Ha-ha, fool I am.
> Nice joke. No way.
> I compiled a small IPhone-sample app, but all I got was a usual .exe for
> Windows. No further infos or export-options to transfer that compiled
> app on my IPodTouch.
> After searching for some hours, I finally came to the well hidden
> 'help'-site that tells me that I principally could do that, but only if
> I buy additionally a MAC for some thousand Euros.
> I first thought I don't see right, but that is the case.
>
> Embarcadero obviously 'forgot' to write that in their advertisement.
> Unbelievable.
>
> So, is there any chance to get a fully working iOS-app entirely created
> on only a windows-PC and to transfer that on a iPhone, iPad etc WITHOUT
> the need of a MAC ?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Yes, they kept that aspect rather quiet.  I was lucky in both being able
to attend one of the road-shows, and to read postings and ask questions
here, which clarified this requirement.  Needless to say, I was very
disappointed, and did not buy the product.  Just as well, judging by its
beta nature.

I haven't yet ruled out XE3, but they should have waited until XE2 was
more mature, and offered direct iOS support, before pushing out to
unsuspecting customers, or offered it free or at very low cost to those
wishing to beta test it.

Cheers,
David
0
David
1/7/2012 7:29:29 AM
Thanks for your replys.

Remy, I really don't think that this is a simple 'specific techical detail'. It is a vital point for all Windows-PC developers who had nothing to do with MAC so far. The advertising clearly implements from what they say, that a PC-developer can now produce iPad / iPod / iPhone apps with Delphi and C++ out of windows.
There is not any tiny asteric or anything that says : ' *but you need additionally a MAC to finally compile it and to transfer it to an iPad etc.'
I would definetely NOT call that a small technical detail.

So sad, I am feeling fooled by Embarcadero.
OK, I had to upgrade to a newer Delphi anyway, so that's not a loss. Firemonkey-Applications work quite nice with Windows 7 though.
I am definetely not a MAC fan.
I don't like their 'you must pay for every little thing' philosophy as well as I find their hardware much overpaid for the technology that is inside for the price, be it a MAC, an iPad / iPhone or whatever.
But the upcoming iPad 3 would maybe have been worth an investment if I could develop my own apps for my personal needs. But I will defenitely not buy additionally a MAC , pay Apple 100 € / year for a 'developer ID' or whatever only to be able to compile and transfer my own developed app to my own iPad.

So, I will use Firemonkey for the Windows enviroment and will buy a win-tablet, maybe an Asus, and use there the nice features FireMonkey already offers.
If future updates of Delphi will offer a direct support for iOS, nice.
If not, no problem.

Edited by: Ralf Klostermann on Jan 7, 2012 5:35 AM

Edited by: Ralf Klostermann on Jan 7, 2012 5:43 AM
0
Ralf
1/7/2012 1:43:50 PM
> Remy, I really don't think that this is a simple 'specific techical
> detail'. It is a vital point for all Windows-PC developers who had
> nothing to do with MAC so far.

You may want to read up on the mechanics of writing iOS apps - some of the
difficulties Embarcadero have (and will have) are artificial barriers Apple
put up for third parties. It's not like developing for Windows or OS X,
where neither MS nor Apple dictate the tooling (or at least, not yet). See
here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/113547/iphone-development-on-windows

> So sad, I am feeling fooled by Embarcadero.

They are simply not allowed to implement the workflow you (and every other
Delphi developer interested in iOS!) want.
0
Chris
1/7/2012 2:18:30 PM
> {quote:title=Ralf Klostermann wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
>
> I currently upgraded to Delphi XE2 and believed the advertisement of Embarcadero that Development of iOS-apps is now possible on a Win-PC with Delphi XE2:
>
> ***************************
> From http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi :
>
> Deploy to Windows, Mac and iOS
>
> With the included FireMonkey platform, Delphi makes it easy to build your application and compile natively to both Windows and Mac OS X. You can also create stunning iOS mobile apps for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad and distribute on Apple's App Store. Delphi FireMonkey applications take full advantage of the power and speed of your devices CPU and GPU.
> *****************************
>
> Ha-ha, fool I am.
> Nice joke. No way.
> I compiled a small IPhone-sample app, but all I got was a usual .exe for Windows. No further infos or export-options to transfer that compiled app on my IPodTouch.
> After searching for some hours, I finally came to the well hidden 'help'-site that tells me that I principally could do that, but only if I buy additionally a MAC for some thousand Euros.
> I first thought I don't see right, but that is the case.
>
> Embarcadero obviously 'forgot' to write that in their advertisement.
> Unbelievable.
>
> So, is there any chance to get a fully working iOS-app entirely created on only a windows-PC and to transfer that on a iPhone, iPad etc WITHOUT the need of a MAC ?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Without commenting on the misleading advertisement,
You can download vm player from vmware, then download a vm copy of MAC and run it on your pc, from here http://www.sysprobs.com/install-and-run-lion-os-x-from-vmware-pre-installed-image
I did not try it yet, but you will be able to do it all from your pc, a little complicated but doable.
0
Joseph
3/18/2012 6:09:44 PM
Le 18/03/12 18:09, Joseph Sprei a écrit :

> Without commenting on the misleading advertisement, You can download
> vm player from vmware, then download a vm copy of MAC and run it on
> your pc, from here … I did not try it yet, but you will be able to
> do it all from your pc, a little complicated but doable.

The site you link to is a hackers site, promoting illegal donloads of
unlicensed software.

As has been stated many times before, it is strictly against Apple's
licensing to install an OS X VM on anything other than Apple hardware
running OS X itself.

So, no you cannot develop and test iOS software without a Mac computer.
And, without becoming part of the Apple Developer network, you cannot
distribute your apps, or even test them on a device instead of the
simulator; and, yes, there are differences between running on the
simulator and a real device, which do need testing.

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter [Team OOAD]
0

Firemonkey - XE 5 - Mac OS X Firemonkey HD App
My Firemonkey applications have no icon when they run in the dock. What is odd is that when I navigate in the finder to the app bundle to /Users/my_user_id/RADPAServer/scratch-dir I see the icon there, and if I open the app bundle, it contains the .icns file, which seems valid. But the Finder itself, in my iMac running OS X 10.8.5 seems to refuse to show the icon in the dock. Running the app bundle normally (not via RADPASERVER) also results in a broken icon. Note that if I make an icon myself, using the OS X app Icon Composer, and put it in there, it seems valid, but (a) the defau...

is possible to build an Android .SO with Delphi Firemonkey XE6 ? Thanks.
is possible to build an Android .SO with Delphi Firemonkey XE6 ? Thanks. > {quote:title=Aldo Lacavalla wrote:}{quote} > is possible to build an Android .SO with Delphi Firemonkey XE6 ? Thanks. Have a look in your Android output directory -- Linden "Mango" was Cool but "Wasabi" was Hotter but remember it's all in the "source" > {quote:title=Linden ROTH wrote:}{quote} > > {quote:title=Aldo Lacavalla wrote:}{quote} > > is possible to build an Android .SO with Delphi Firemonkey XE6 ? Thanks. > > > Have a look in ...

An OS X GUI Delphi app without FireMonkey
Yes, I did it! I already thought it should be possible, but expected I'd have to do a lot of translating of headers, etc. Not so. The Macapi.* units for OS X provided almost everything that was needed to write an AppKit (Open Source equivalent of Cocoa) app, using "native" components. This is a naked (console!) app without a .nib or .xib file. It creates a window with a few OS-X-native buttons, labels, edit boxes and combo boxes on it, and reacts to certain events, like a button click, a combobox selecton change, a timer firing, etc. No FireMonkey required. It is ...

Firemonkey
I am so dammed frustrated with firemonkey and livebindings. The VCL + DB Controls were fast, consistent, and stable. This fmx framework is crap. It's slow on my i5 Macbook. I'd be embarrassed to put out an app like this. The help is lousy and apparently very few people are using it based on my failed Google searches. I can see why. Livebindings is cute when you have a few fields, but it a rats nest when you have a moderately complex form and have to wire up dozens of controls. There is no official support for nullable fields in livebindings which blows my mind....

Delphi XE5(U2) Firemonkey application crashes at startup on OSX on new mac [Edit]
Hello, I'm trying to deploy my first application on a mac platform. I have successfully built the application on my dev mac and run it through PAServer and now I would like to deploy it on a different MacOS. I tried to drag and drop the application .app file into the application folder of the new Mac. The app shows up but as soon as I start it, I got a message telling me that it stopped unexpectedly. I'm really lost here: With windows, I'd have no problem finding out what is wrong but, with a Mac, I haven't got a clue what I did wrong. The application doesn't do an...

RAD Studio XE2 a new era for Delphi and C++Builder Developers: 64-bit, Mac OS/X, LiveBinding, Cloud API, FireMonkey
More details emerged about XE2 & FireMonkey http://www.dzone.com/links/rad_studio_xe2_a_new_era_for_delphi_and_cbuilder.html This release represents a new era for Delphi and C++Builder developers, there are lot of new stuffs on this release and we will show all of them during the RAD Studio XE Tour, in the mean time I would like to highlight some of them: - New Delphi for 64-bit Windows and full VCL/RTL support - dbExpress ODBC driver - Full monitoring and controlling of DataSnap connections - LiveBinding, the new mechanism for binding any type of data - Cloud API support...

How to retrieve the MAC address of a Mac in a Firemonkey HD application?
Hi, what is the best way to retrieve the mac-address of a Mac computer using Delphi XE5 and firemonkey? Thanks. https://forums.embarcadero.com/message.jspa?messageID=406454 > {quote:title=Maurizio Gugliotta wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > what is the best way to retrieve the mac-address of a Mac computer using Delphi XE5 and firemonkey? > > Thanks. ...

How to do an EXIT(173) for Firemonkey Mac ?
I am looking into deploying a firemonkey Mac App to the Mac AppStore. I understand that I should do an exit(173) if the injected certificate does not verify. How do I go about having the app exit with the error code 173 ? Currently, I set it as {code} exitcode := 173; Application.Terminate; {code} But it does not prompt the App Store authentication as it should. Thanks ...

Delphi XE2, OSX and FireMonkey?
1. Does anyone know if developing with FireMonkey will be the only way to develop for OSX with XE2? 2. Does anyone know if you will need to compile on a Mac for OSX, or will XE2 cross compile? I know this will all come out during the world tour, but I'm just trying to get some idea so I can start planning. 1. Yes, I think for now it will be the only way. But you can probably build a native UI for OSX by directly using the API, like you can also develop Win32 applications without using the VCL. 2. XE2 will only be available for Windows, but it will compile for other platforms. &l...

New Mac OS and Firemonkey ?
I see in newspapers today that Apple has upgraded Mac OS. Is it still supported in XE5 or will one hva to wait because need to upgrade to XE6 before getting access to that? > {quote:title=Alf Christophersen wrote:}{quote} > I see in newspapers today that Apple has upgraded Mac OS. > > Is it still supported in XE5 or will one hva to wait because need to upgrade to XE6 before getting access to that? i upgraded my mac to 10.9 and xcode 5.01 ,xe5 is working ok , appear to be more responsive the deploy ... Beppe On 26.10.2013 15:07, giuseppe magistro wrote: >>...

Making Firemonkey more compatible with Delphi
I have programmed in Delphi since 1995 Delphi1 I am now evaluating Delphi XE4. It boggles my mind, why embarcadero has lost the most important aspects of Delphi. Simplicity and Fast User Interface creation. I can easily see how Firemonkey can be improved to bring it in line with traditional Delphi Techniques by doing the following. 1. All Firemonkey controls need a data aware counterpart. 2. Firemonkey Styles need to be converted to TControl descendants. 3. ie. TLayout goes to TPanel ( TFMXPanel ) 4. ie. TRectangle does to TFrame TFMXFrame ) 5. LiveBindings gets placed un...

Installing FireMonkey apps on the Mac
I’ve got what I think is a completed Mac app that I developed using FireMonkey. Hooray! I’m absolutely certain I couldn’t have done it without this forum and specifically the assistance of (in no specific order) Chris Rolliston, Joanna Carter, Scott Hochberg and any others I may be forgetting. Please accept my sincere thanks. My next hurdle is this. Were this a Windows app, I would fire up InstallShield and create a installation disk image or a single file installation executable. How is this handled in the Mac context? Is there an article that details the process for FireMonkey users...

Possible FireMonkey XE7 bugs?
Some bugs I found using FireMonkey XE7 on Windows 7. TComboEdit, fire "change" event only when lost focus. TNumberBox, fire "change" event only when up/down with keyboard, mouse isn't working. TSaveDialog, filterindex isn't working. Someone can check this? > {quote:title=Aldo Lacavalla wrote:}{quote} > Some bugs I found using FireMonkey XE7 on Windows 7. > > TComboEdit, fire "change" event only when lost focus. > TNumberBox, fire "change" event only when up/down with keyboard, mouse isn't working. > TSaveDial...

Web resources about - FireMonkey - iOS without a Mac possible ? - embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey

firemonkeys - iMore