FireMonkey components - ListBox font, StringGrid columns

Hi, we are trying to upgrade this program to FireMonkey here http://www.arduino.com.au/Simulator-for-Arduino.html

We have run into a few roadblocks, and it would be good to get some help on this:
* ListBox does not seem to have a font property
* StringGrid does not have a Column property
* The TRegistry component does not recognise //  myReg.RootKey := HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE;
* The Toolbar component does not allow new toolbuttons to be added

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
0
Fergus

> Hi, we are trying to upgrade this program to FireMonkey here
> http://www.arduino.com.au/Simulator-for-Arduino.html

Going by the screenshots, simply enabling standard Windows theming would
give that application a fresher look. (The stock VCL grid nowadays paints
themed BTW.)

>  * ListBox does not seem to have a font property

You have to create a custom style.

> * StringGrid does not have a Column property

Nor does the VCL TStringGrid. If you mean Col, then the equivalent property
in the FMX TStringGrid is ColumnIndex.

> * The TRegistry component does not recognise //  myReg.RootKey :=
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE;

TRegistry doesn't need to recognise that - the compiler does. The problem
is the fact you don't have the Winapi.Windows in the uses clause. Well,
either that or just Windows, but you might as well use the new-style names
if only compling with XE2.

> * The Toolbar component does not allow new
> toolbuttons to be added

Treat it like a TPanel in VCL terms and add TSpeedButton controls to it. If
you want buttons with images, then with a speed button selected, drop a
TImage onto it, before setting the image's HitTest property to False and
its Align property to something appropriate.
0
Chris
2/19/2012 10:34:29 PM
Thanks for the reply.

With the ListBox, I have right clicked and selected Edit Style, but the ListboxStyle1:TLayout does not seem to have a Font property. Any more clues?

With the StringGrid, I meant the ColCount property. There is a Columns property but it is read-only. There is a RowCount property, just can't find the ColCount one.

OK, have add the uses Winapi.Windows and the Registry code is now working fine again.

With the Toolbutton, this sounds good but a bit cumbersome. Also, there is no ImageList in FireMonkey.

Also, here is another issue. We have used the code below to pull the Version name from Delphi, but this now throws errors on the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO structure. Any ideas?

function GetFileVersion(const Filename: string; var Version2: string): Boolean;
var
  VerBlk: VS_FIXEDFILEINFO;
  InfoSize,puLen : DWord;
  Pt,InfoPtr : Pointer;
//  i,j : Integer;
  i : Integer;
begin
  Version2 := '';
  InfoSize := GetFileVersionInfoSize(PChar(Filename), puLen);
  FillChar(VerBlk, SizeOf(VS_FIXEDFILEINFO),0);
  if InfoSize > 0 then
  begin
    GetMem(Pt, InfoSize);
    GetFileVersionInfo(PChar(Filename), 0, InfoSize, Pt);
    VerQueryValue(Pt, '\', InfoPtr, puLen);
    move(InfoPtr^, VerBlk, SizeOf(VS_FIXEDFILEINFO));
    Version2 := Format('%d.%.2d',[VerBlk.dwFileVersionMS shr 16,
      VerBlk.dwFileVersionMS and 65535]);

    i := VerBlk.dwFileVersionLS shr 16;
//    j := VerBlk.dwFileVersionLS and 65535;
    if (i > 0) then
    begin
 //     Version := Version + '.' + Char(i+$40) + '.' + Format('%.4d',[j]);
      Version2 := Version2 + Char(i+$40);
      Version1 := Version2;
    end;

    FreeMem(Pt);
    Result := True;
  end else
    Result := False;
end;

Thanks for your help.
0
Fergus
2/19/2012 11:07:05 PM
Each item of the listbox is styleable, you will have to edit the ListBoxItem
style and modify the font of the TText shape.

Kind Regards,
Scheldeman Pieter

"Fergus Dixon" wrote in message news:446970@forums.embarcadero.com...

[...]

Pieter
2/20/2012 12:58:55 PM
Am 20.02.2012 00:07, schrieb Fergus Dixon:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> With the ListBox, I have right clicked and selected Edit Style, but the ListboxStyle1:TLayout does not seem to have a Font property. Any more clues?

If you click on "load defaults" (or similar - german IDE on my
workingcomputer) in the editor you can find a listboxitemstyle in the
stylelist. That is probably the one you need to modify.

> With the StringGrid, I meant the ColCount property. There is a Columns property but it is read-only. There is a RowCount property, just can't find the ColCount one.

Code like this would add a column to a FMX Stringgrid named sg ...

procedure TForm1.btCreateColClick(Sender: TObject);
var
stringcol: TStringcolumn;
begin
stringcol := TStringcolumn.Create(sg);
stringcol.Parent := sg;
end;

> OK, have add the uses Winapi.Windows and the Registry code is now working fine again.

If you want crossplattform you should not use the registry anymore. use
ini- or xml-files for configuration purposes.

> With the Toolbutton, this sounds good but a bit cumbersome. Also, there is no ImageList in FireMonkey.

It is all a little cumbersome at the moment. That is the price we have
to pay for being pioneers ;-)

> Also, here is another issue. We have used the code below to pull the Version name from Delphi, but this now throws errors on the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO structure. Any ideas?

This is probably a structure that was patched in the old
buildenvironment (pre XE2) and which is missing in your new
buildenvironment. You can find details here, I think you just need to
make a recordtype according to the structure information ...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646997%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Best regards

Roland
0
Roland
2/20/2012 1:18:56 PM
Thanks Pieter and Roland

Now have an issue with the StatusBar. Any clues how to add more Panels?

I am still struggling with the ListBox. Please keep in mind I am a hardware engineer so this is not natural. Here is the code used to load the Listbox. I saw the ListBoxItem and can see the Font Property for it, but am not sure how to add it to the code below:

            while (not eof(f)) do
            begin
              ReadLn(f,s);
              ListBox1.Items.Add(s);
            end;

With the StringGrid, discovered you can right click and add Columns with a column editor, and ColWidths now becomes:
        StringGrid1.ColumnByIndex(2).Width := 15;

With the Registry, I am a bit annoyed about this since we just found out how to access the Registry. Do you have any demos or examples on XML or should I consult Google?

Thanks for the link - will go through that. Also did someone mention Windows Styles for VCL. Any more info on this would be appreciated.

By the way, with the Simulator program, we have a Free version which shows a 60s modal dialog and this is supposed to encourage users to click a button to then goto Paypal. I just had an email from a 18yo who showed how this can be defeated with another Windows program which searches for the dialog by name and then closes it. Just closed this loophole, and sent this guy a thankyou email and a small bonus.
0
Fergus
2/21/2012 10:12:12 PM
Hi Fergus,
I have no idea if this is the "meant to be" way to do it. But this is a
buttonhandler that puts a panel with a label to a statusbar called "sb".

var
tp: TPanel;
l: TLabel;
begin
tp := TPanel.Create(sb);
l := TLabel.Create(tp);
l.Parent := tp;
l.Text := 'Teststatusbarpanel';
tp.Align := TAlignLayout.alLeft;
sb.AddObject(tp);
end;

You sure should make your custom statusbar by inheriting from TStatusbar
and TPanel. Something like this ...

   TStatusBarPanel = class(TPanel)
   private
     FInfoLabel: TLabel;
   public
     constructor Create;
     destructor Destroy; override;
     property InfoLabel: TLabel read FInfoLabel write FInfoLabel;
   end;

   TFergusStatusbar = class(TStatusbar)
   private
     FMyStatusBarPanel1: TStatusBarPanel;
     FMyStatusBarPanel2: TStatusBarPanel;
     procedure SetMyStatusBarPanel2(const Value: TStatusBarPanel);
   public
     constructor Create;
     destructor Destroy; override;
     property MyStatusBarPanel1: TStatusBarPanel read FMyStatusBarPanel1
write
         FMyStatusBarPanel1;
     property MyStatusBarPanel2: TStatusBarPanel read FMyStatusBarPanel2
write
         SetMyStatusBarPanel2;
   end;

Best regards

Roland
0
Roland
2/22/2012 2:04:48 PM
> Now have an issue with the StatusBar. Any clues how to add more Panels?

Add label controls to it, setting their Align properties appropriately
(typically alLeft), and possible Padding too in order to space them out.

> With the Registry, I am a bit annoyed about this since we just found out
> how to access the Registry. Do you have any demos or examples on XML or
> should I consult Google?

If you are only targeting Windows, there is no problem with using the
Registry. FMX is just a visual framework - the Delphi RTL is exactly the
same whether you use FMX or the VCL.

> Thanks for the link - will go through that. Also did someone mention
> Windows Styles for VCL.

The VCL has supported native Windows theming for a long time. XE2 extends
this to offer full 'skinning' abilities, i.e. where the application has its
own visual 'look'. I can't say I'm a fan of skinned applications myself,
but many take a contrary view...
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/VCL_Styles_Overview
0
Chris

Installing components for FireMonkey HD and FireMonkey iOS
Hi, How do I install components for both FireMonkey HD and FireMonkey iOS? I have one package 'FMXMyFireMonkeyControl' and 'FMIFireMonkeyControl' which both point to the same file with the same registration 'TFireMonkeyControl'. If I compile one package (FMXMyFireMonkeyControl) it installs correctly, then change the include file (FMCompile.INC) to compile for IOS (FMIFireMonkeyControl) which is included in the FMX.FireMonkeyControl.pas file: {$I FMCOMPILE.INC} uses {$IFDEF COMPILEIOS} FMX_Types, FMX_Objects, FMX_Forms, FMX_Dialogs, FMX_Effe...

Delphi / FireMonkey release components created at runtime [Edit]
Hello, XE6, Win7 Am I right I thinking that if I create a component, such as TImage, at runtime, Delphi automatically releases the memory when the program closes. I declared this: im: TImage; as a TForm variable. Put this in .FormCreate: ReportMemoryLeaksOnShutdown := DebugHook <> 0; This picks up things like TStrokeBrush when I don't run .Free; I then put this in: procedure TFrmScales.Button4Click(Sender: TObject); begin im := TImage.Create(self); im.Bitmap.Assign(I_note.Bitmap); // I_note is a TImage that I put there at design-time im.Pa...

Firemonkey components
I am rather new to firemonkey and was wondering where to find information on the purposes of certain controls. I am using XE8 update 1, mostly with Android 4.x. Some of the controls look much like other controls so I don't know when to use a particular control v/s when to use another. Is there an article describing the controls and the nuances or advantages of one control of another similar control. I need to know the purpose of a tlayout control, what does it give you when below the form compared to a tpanel. What is the purpose of a toolbar. How does a tstatus work. It seems to...

Firemonkey
I am so dammed frustrated with firemonkey and livebindings. The VCL + DB Controls were fast, consistent, and stable. This fmx framework is crap. It's slow on my i5 Macbook. I'd be embarrassed to put out an app like this. The help is lousy and apparently very few people are using it based on my failed Google searches. I can see why. Livebindings is cute when you have a few fields, but it a rats nest when you have a moderately complex form and have to wire up dozens of controls. There is no official support for nullable fields in livebindings which blows my mind....

Delphi XE 5 / XE 6 Firemonkey custom component display problem
Hi everybody, I've a problem and I would like to know if you have encountered the same type of problem, and better, if you have solved it. Let's go for the explanation! With Firemonkey if you chose to create a new component derived from TListBox class with the wizard and you build and install it on a custom palet there is no problem. I mean that you can drag your own new component on a form and all is OK! But if you are doing the same thing with the TCustomListBox class as ancestor you can create your component without problem but when you drag this new one on a form you have a blank component (more precisely a grey component "same color as the form by default" and nothing more even if you add some items). When I use the two same methods on VCL that works perfect so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I've done many tests and played a lot with google but I'm always in the same situation (this monkey in fire make me crazy ;) ). The only clue that I found is that it could be a problem of styles but I don't know where and why. For the most brave of you, here is the code of my simple component: {code} unit EricListBox; interface uses System.SysUtils, System.Classes, FMX.Types, FMX.Controls, FMX.ListBox, System.UITypes; type TEricListBox = class(TCustomListBox) private { Déclarations privées } protected { Déclarations protégées } public { Déclarations publ...

Ann: TsiLang Components Suite v7.2! (Multilanguage solution for Delphi and C++Builder with full FireMonkey support)
Hello, We're glad to announce the release of TsiLang Components Suite 7.2! Simple and powerful localization solution for software developers. It's virtually impossible to find popular software that would not be translated (localized) into multiple languages. In fact, even niche and second-tier developers localize their products to increase international sales. Unfortunately, the process of software localizations is both time consuming and very expensive. Luckily, developers who use Delphi, or C++Builder platform can use TsiLang Components Suite to localize their software...

Ann: TsiLang Components Suite v7.0! (Multilanguage solution for Delphi and C++Builder with full FireMonkey support)
Hello, We're glad to announce the release of TsiLang Components Suite 7.0! Simple and powerful localization solution for software developers. It's virtually impossible to find popular software that would not be translated (localized) into multiple languages. In fact, even niche and second-tier developers localize their products to increase international sales. Unfortunately, the process of software localizations is both time consuming and very expensive. Luckily, developers who use Delphi, or C++Builder platform can use TsiLang Components Suite to localize their software...

[...]

Ann: TsiLang Components Suite v7.1! (Multilanguage solution for Delphi and C++Builder with full FireMonkey support including Android and iOS)
Hello, We're glad to announce the release of TsiLang Components Suite 7.1! Simple and powerful localization solution for software developers. It's virtually impossible to find popular software that would not be translated (localized) into multiple languages. In fact, even niche and second-tier developers localize their products to increase international sales. Unfortunately, the process of software localizations is both time consuming and very expensive. Luckily, developers who use Delphi, or C++Builder platform can use TsiLang Components Suite to localize their software...

Ann: TsiLang Components Suite v7.1! (Multilanguage solution for Delphi and C++Builder with full FireMonkey support including Android and iOS)
Hello, We're glad to announce the release of TsiLang Components Suite 7.1! Simple and powerful localization solution for software developers. It's virtually impossible to find popular software that would not be translated (localized) into multiple languages. In fact, even niche and second-tier developers localize their products to increase international sales. Unfortunately, the process of software localizations is both time consuming and very expensive. Luckily, developers who use Delphi, or C++Builder platform can use TsiLang Components Suite to localize their software...

FireMonkey component Hint
Hi Everyone, I am currently converting a D7 VCL project to XE2 FireMonkey (for use on Windows and Mac) I would like to display some kind of "hint" to my users when they mouse over a button or any other screen component. Does anyone know of a Delphi XE2 FireMonkey component (like balloon help or anything else) that I can add to my screen components to give this kind if functionality? Many thanks in advance, Michael +1. There seems to be a fair amount of stuff missing in Firemonkey. Certainly not a timesaver early on in development. ...

FireMonkey component visibility
Windows 64 bit and Delphi XE2 development environment. In looking at the FireMonkey demos supplied by Embarcadero, the vast majority of the components are not visible at design time. If I compile the demos the components are visible at run time. If I then click at design time on the location where a component is displayed at run time, the component will be outlined and the grips in the corners of the component will be present. I can use these to move the component, but if the component loses focus at design time, it will become invisible. The TAniIndicator and TPanel are t...

Firemonkey osx stringgrid
Hi everyone, I have a big issue with the stringgrid in delphi xe2 and Firemonkey Application. I created a firemonke HD form with a Stringgrid, a BindscopeDB, MyConnection (MYDAC MySql connection), a MyQuery and a Datasource. So I try to load the DB data via BindScopeDB into my Stringgrid and everything seems to work on my Windows Target. I can see the whole db content shown in the Stringgrid. When I try to deploy it to my MAC OSX the Stringgrid shows me the first 5 columns and the rest of 15 cols are missing. Whats wrong with this? ...

Firemonkey custom component
I'm using Delphi XE8 and trying to create a cross-platform component for FireMonkey. But I'm facing some problems. Although up the properties "Width" and "Height" in the Object Inspector to compile apparently the size settings are ignored. And when I reopen the project my component is also small. (I noticed that the width and height settings are not saved to the DFM file). Note: All other native components of FireMonkey work properly, just my custom not. Whats the problem? Code: http://pastebin.com/s49hiBs4 Print: http://i.stack.imgur.com/pAfr5.jpg ...

Firemonkey font issue
being new to Firemonkey and starting to understand it. everything is looking good - - what I design in the designer is showing up when I run the program except - the text in numberboxs always shows up as some small default size and font - - yet it shows in designer as 20 point and Times Roman. the labels and buttons all have the right font when running as in the designer. This can not be my code for the only code at this point is for the exit button and a progress button that simply enables an animation only any ideas? thanks Jim P maybe try a different front lik...

Firemonkey components [Edit]
I am rather new to firemonkey and was wondering where to find information on the purposes of certain controls. I am using XE8 update 1, mostly with Android 4.x. Some of the controls look much like other controls so I don't know when to use a particular control v/s when to use another. Is there an article describing the controls and the nuances or advantages of one control of another similar control. I need to know the purpose of a tlayout control, what does it give you when below the form compared to a tpanel. What is the purpose of a toolbar. How does a tstatus work. It seems to...

Making Firemonkey more compatible with Delphi
I have programmed in Delphi since 1995 Delphi1 I am now evaluating Delphi XE4. It boggles my mind, why embarcadero has lost the most important aspects of Delphi. Simplicity and Fast User Interface creation. I can easily see how Firemonkey can be improved to bring it in line with traditional Delphi Techniques by doing the following. 1. All Firemonkey controls need a data aware counterpart. 2. Firemonkey Styles need to be converted to TControl descendants. 3. ie. TLayout goes to TPanel ( TFMXPanel ) 4. ie. TRectangle does to TFrame TFMXFrame ) 5. LiveBindings gets placed underneath ( TFMXDataSource ) 6. Style Editor becomes a simple FMX Editor. Unless this is done, I cannot see how XE4 can really take off as a product Kind Regards, Robert. Robert Gilland wrote: > 1. All Firemonkey controls need a data aware counterpart. > 5. LiveBindings gets placed underneath ( TFMXDataSource ) It seems you've missed the point of LiveBindings -- Dave Nottage [TeamB] Robert Gilland wrote: > I have programmed in Delphi since 1995 Delphi1 > > I am now evaluating Delphi XE4. > > It boggles my mind, why embarcadero has lost the most important > aspects of Delphi. > > Simplicity and Fast User Interface creation. > > I can easily see how Firemonkey can be improved to bring it in line > with traditional Delphi Techniques by doing the following. > > > 1. All Firemonkey controls ne...

Delphi XE2, OSX and FireMonkey?
1. Does anyone know if developing with FireMonkey will be the only way to develop for OSX with XE2? 2. Does anyone know if you will need to compile on a Mac for OSX, or will XE2 cross compile? I know this will all come out during the world tour, but I'm just trying to get some idea so I can start planning. 1. Yes, I think for now it will be the only way. But you can probably build a native UI for OSX by directly using the API, like you can also develop Win32 applications without using the VCL. 2. XE2 will only be available for Windows, but it will compile for other platforms. &l...

Firemonkey & Indy Components
I have a client-server application which uses Indy's TCP client and server. Will it be possible to use the same components in a Firemonkey project? I know I will have to redo the GUI but I am wondering about the Indy components and their usability in a firemonkey project. Thanks! You can use all non visual components in a firemoney project as you are used to. -- best regards Kim Madsen TeamC4D www.components4developers.com The best components for the best developers High availability, high performance loosely coupled n-tier products "Tumer TOPCU" skrev i...

ListView and RichEdit components for FireMonkey
The FireMonkey is a very interesting and promising cross-platform framework for Delphi. But it still lacks some basic components that always were in VCL, such as the ListView and RichEdit components. So the question: whether Em-ro has plans to design these components for the FireMonkey framework? Or may be some third party component vendors already work to bring the ListView and RichEdit to the FireMonkey. TMS, DevExpress, Sergey Tkachenko? Sergey Tkachenko wrote that they plan to start porting the TRichView to FireMonkey later in this year. http://www.trichview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4834&highlight=firemonkey Am 04.10.2011 10:28, schrieb Aleg Azarousky: > The FireMonkey is a very interesting and promising cross-platform framework for Delphi. But it still lacks some basic components that always were in VCL, such as the ListView and RichEdit components. So the question: whether Em-ro has plans to design these components for the FireMonkey framework? > > Or may be some third party component vendors already work to bring the ListView and RichEdit to the FireMonkey. TMS, DevExpress, Sergey Tkachenko? Hm, a listview is there in form of a grid if I'm not mistaken. But since it's a bit more flexible than say TListView it's also a bit harder to get at first sight. You manually need to add columns if I'm not mistaken and I guess they're populated via LiveBinding mechanism. Greetings Markus For those of you who are intere...

ANN: New Firemonkey Components
Apesuite Beta 5 has been released and adds 3 new Firemonkey controls. *TFlowLayout* - A container control that automatically repositions its children such that they wrap to a new row or column if it extends the bounds of the container. *TLightbox* - A container control that shows it's children in a modal web-style semi-transparent lightbox. The container can hold any Firemonkey control or multiple controls and is completely configurable via Firemonkey styles. *TListControl* - A TListBox implementation that fixes bugs in the TListBox control that comes with Firemonkey, specificall...

New Firemonkey Grid Component
We could use your input on our new Firemonkey grid component... http://arcana.sivv.com/blog/2012/5/11/apesuite-beta-6-preview-demo.html -- Arcana components for Delphi, Intraweb and Firemonkey http://arcana.sivv.com >>> NOTE: The Purchase of Product 'Apesuite (beta) for Delphi Firemonkey (1 year)' contains a recurring charge billed every 360 days. By clicking the Purchase button and providing your credit or debit card billing information, you agree that your product subscription will automatically renew, and you authorize and permit iPortis.com LLC to bil...

Web resources about - FireMonkey components - ListBox font, StringGrid columns - embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey

firemonkeys - iMore