Delphi FireMonkey project / testComplete and MSAA

Hi

I am actualy working on a new team project developped using FireMonkey. We want to create automated tests with TestComplete which is already used to run tests on some VCL projects.

Unfortunatly, we discovered that TestComplete is not directly compatible with FireMonkey application, it only sees the windows but not the controls on it.

Making some research we, found that TestComplete is able to identify controls thanks to MSAA. So we created a really short project (only one form with some controls) using the FireMonkey Accessibility Pack in order to look at TestComplete's behavior.

TestComplete was then able to see the controls, but not to interact with them.

We continued our investigation and found a windows SDK utility wich shows control's MSAA informations (inspect.exe). Using it we saw that some MSAA properties are not present in fmx controls.

It seems that testComplete's impossibilty to communicate with controls comes from a incorrect implementation of MSAA, but we only used supported controls.

So now we are stuck, and don't know how to perform tests on our application.
0
Utf

Am 17.06.2015 um 17:08 schrieb mickaël clément:
> Hi
>
> I am actualy working on a new team project developped using FireMonkey. We want to create automated tests with TestComplete which is already used to run tests on some VCL projects.
>
> Unfortunatly, we discovered that TestComplete is not directly compatible with FireMonkey application, it only sees the windows but not the controls on it.
>
> Making some research we, found that TestComplete is able to identify controls thanks to MSAA. So we created a really short project (only one form with some controls) using the FireMonkey Accessibility Pack in order to look at TestComplete's behavior.
>
> TestComplete was then able to see the controls, but not to interact with them.
>
> We continued our investigation and found a windows SDK utility wich shows control's MSAA informations (inspect.exe). Using it we saw that some MSAA properties are not present in fmx controls.
>
> It seems that testComplete's impossibilty to communicate with controls comes from a incorrect implementation of MSAA, but we only used supported controls.
>

> So now we are stuck, and don't know how to perform tests on our application.

Hello,

while I'd agree that either native FMX support implemented by SmartBear
(did you already request this from them, because if nobody does they
won't do anything about it!) or good MSAA support by FMX would be the
better solutions TestComplete is also able to do screenshot comparisons
and just click anywhere with the mouse (at least there's some high
precision mouse mode which should be able to do this) and afaik it could
do OCR if needed.

But of course that are only the last ressort options.

So where's your Smartbear FMX support petition now? ;-)

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
6/17/2015 8:37:40 PM
Am 17.06.2015 um 17:08 schrieb mickaël clément:
> Hi
>
> I am actualy working on a new team project developped using FireMonkey. We want to create automated tests with TestComplete which is already used to run tests on some VCL projects.
>
> Unfortunatly, we discovered that TestComplete is not directly compatible with FireMonkey application, it only sees the windows but not the controls on it.
>
> Making some research we, found that TestComplete is able to identify controls thanks to MSAA. So we created a really short project (only one form with some controls) using the FireMonkey Accessibility Pack in order to look at TestComplete's behavior.
>
> TestComplete was then able to see the controls, but not to interact with them.
>
> We continued our investigation and found a windows SDK utility wich shows control's MSAA informations (inspect.exe). Using it we saw that some MSAA properties are not present in fmx controls.
>
> It seems that testComplete's impossibilty to communicate with controls comes from a incorrect implementation of MSAA, but we only used supported controls.
>

> So now we are stuck, and don't know how to perform tests on our application.

Hello,

while I'd agree that either native FMX support implemented by SmartBear
(did you already request this from them, because if nobody does they
won't do anything about it!) or good MSAA support by FMX would be the
better solutions TestComplete is also able to do screenshot comparisons
and just click anywhere with the mouse (at least there's some high
precision mouse mode which should be able to do this) and afaik it could
do OCR if needed.

But of course that are only the last ressort options.

So where's your Smartbear FMX support petition now? ;-)

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
6/17/2015 8:44:18 PM
Run it via Thinfinity and then use the web based TestComplete?

http://www.cybelesoft.com/thinfinity/virtualui/
0
Eli
6/20/2015 12:21:44 PM
Am 20.06.2015 um 14:21 schrieb Eli M:
> Run it via Thinfinity and then use the web based TestComplete?
>
> http://www.cybelesoft.com/thinfinity/virtualui/

But please only after telling Smartbear that you want native FMX support
in TestComplete!

If nobody tells them they will not act. I want them to act too!

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
6/22/2015 6:44:23 PM
Hello, Thanks for your answer.

We already took contact with SmartBear support, and they told us they are working on Firemonkey compatibility.

Unfortunately, OCR will not be useful in our case. Actually the best way we have to do automated tests, is the low level mode testing.But it's not a really good solution because our app, will have to evolve to follow specifications independents of our will. But it seems we will not have the choice while TestComplete is not compatible with Firemonkey.

However, we will take a look at Eli's proposal.

Kind Regards.
0
Vuillet
6/24/2015 6:56:00 AM
> {quote:title=Vuillet Laurent wrote:}{quote}
> Hello, Thanks for your answer.
>
> We already took contact with SmartBear support, and they told us they are working on Firemonkey compatibility.
>
> Unfortunately, OCR will not be useful in our case. Actually the best way we have to do automated tests, is the low level mode testing.But it's not a really good solution because our app, will have to evolve to follow specifications independents of our will. But it seems we will not have the choice while TestComplete is not compatible with Firemonkey.
>
> However, we will take a look at Eli's proposal.
>
> Kind Regards.

Sorry, I did not see I was connect with a colleague's account, consider this message from me.
0
Utf
6/24/2015 7:08:16 AM
Am 24.06.2015 um 08:56 schrieb Vuillet Laurent:
> Hello, Thanks for your answer.
>
> We already took contact with SmartBear support, and they told us they are working on Firemonkey compatibility.
>
> Unfortunately, OCR will not be useful in our case. Actually the best way we have to do automated tests, is the low level mode testing.But it's not a really good solution because our app, will have to evolve to follow specifications independents of our will. But it seems we will not have the choice while TestComplete is not compatible with Firemonkey.
>
> However, we will take a look at Eli's proposal.
>
> Kind Regards.

Hello,

good to hear you contacted them and they do something about it. I hope
they also do it for Android! Did you ask about that as well?

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus

delphi.Net Delphi 2005 Project Upgrades?
Our company aquired the software property from another last year. Most of the projects were written in Delphi 2007. We purchased Delphi XE which gave us access to previous versions, including D 2007... all is well. However, 3 projects were written Delphi 2005 for .Net. The VM we received from this company included D2005 but it was licensed from the previous developer. I've contacted Embarcadero about obtaining a copy and or a license+registration for Delphi 2005 and was told this product is no longer available. I'm under the impression Delphi for .Net was abandoned. My qu...

Making Firemonkey more compatible with Delphi
I have programmed in Delphi since 1995 Delphi1 I am now evaluating Delphi XE4. It boggles my mind, why embarcadero has lost the most important aspects of Delphi. Simplicity and Fast User Interface creation. I can easily see how Firemonkey can be improved to bring it in line with traditional Delphi Techniques by doing the following. 1. All Firemonkey controls need a data aware counterpart. 2. Firemonkey Styles need to be converted to TControl descendants. 3. ie. TLayout goes to TPanel ( TFMXPanel ) 4. ie. TRectangle does to TFrame TFMXFrame ) 5. LiveBindings gets placed un...

Delphi XE2, OSX and FireMonkey?
1. Does anyone know if developing with FireMonkey will be the only way to develop for OSX with XE2? 2. Does anyone know if you will need to compile on a Mac for OSX, or will XE2 cross compile? I know this will all come out during the world tour, but I'm just trying to get some idea so I can start planning. 1. Yes, I think for now it will be the only way. But you can probably build a native UI for OSX by directly using the API, like you can also develop Win32 applications without using the VCL. 2. XE2 will only be available for Windows, but it will compile for other platforms. &l...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2010 and Delphi XE5 shuts down when opening projects
Over the last week I have found it increasingly difficult to open projects. Even really simple projects, some more complex. For example if start Delphi 2010 Enterprise Edition. I see the list of recently opened projects. I then click on a simple existing project, I get a hour glass for about a second and then Delphi IDE has gone. In the windows task manager, there are now no applications running. I have not changed the installation, being using Delphi 2010 enterprise on the same computer for a few years. I'm not a full time developer, but do internal development of our compa...

Delphi 2010 and Delphi XE5 shuts down when opening projects
Over the last week I have found it increasingly difficult to open projects. Even really simple projects, some more complex. For example if start Delphi 2010 Enterprise Edition. I see the list of recently opened projects. I then click on a simple existing project, I get a hour glass for about a second and then Delphi IDE has gone. In the windows task manager, there are now no applications running. I have not changed the installation, being using Delphi 2010 enterprise on the same computer for a few years. I'm not a full time developer, but do internal development of our compa...

delphi 2010 memory not released when closing delphi project
each time im runing delphi 2010 the memory that was used was not release after closing a project and the memory don't stop to grow and the browsing for file becoming slow any idea ? Thanks Pierre Auger wrote: > each time im runing delphi 2010 the memory that was used was not > release after closing a project and the memory don't stop to grow and > the browsing for file becoming slow > > any idea ? You are using some 3rd-party components that do not properly release memory in their design-time packages would be my guess. A design-time package stays l...

Project Manager Delphi 2007 vs Delphi 5
I am in the midst of moving from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2007. I have a .BAT file that I use to do some post processing on the executable after it is built. In Delphi 5, I just added the .BAT file to the project manager. Then when I wanted to execute the .BAT file I just right clicked its entry in the project manager and selected Execute. There doesn't seem to be anyway to add the .BAT file to the project manager in Delphi 2007. How can I set up something similar to what I had in Delphi 5? I thought about using a Post Build event but I don't necessarily want to execute the .BAT fi...

Convert a Delphi 2006 WinForms project to Delphi Prism
How can I go about doing this short of recreating the project and transfering code? Just wondering what to expect if we go to Prism. Thanks. -- Don Gollahon Don Gollahon wrote: > How can I go about doing this short of recreating the project and > transfering code? > > Just wondering what to expect if we go to Prism. > > Thanks. Hi Don, Have you checked out the migration tool Oxidizer ? http://prismwiki.codegear.com/en/Oxidizer Cheers, John -- John Moshakis wrote: >Don Gollahon wrote: > >> How can I go about doing th...

Importing Delphi 2009 project in Delphi 2006
I've been using Delphi 2006 for a while and have never really felt the need to upgrade to a newer release given the expense. I'm looking at taking over on a project from someone else who developed it in Delphi 2009. The only code incompatibilities he can think of is some of the Unicode changes that were introduced after D2006 but that should be fairly easy to fix. My main concern is whether or not a project that was created in Delphi 2009 can even be *opened* in Delphi 2006. I don't know how file exte nsions or formats have changed between the two versions. Can anyone give me...

ANN: Delphi XE2 FireMonkey BOOK
September 5, 2012 Coogara Consulting is pleased to announce that our new book is available: "FireMonkey Development for iOS and OS X with Delphi XE2" by Graeme Chandler. It is available printed (comb binding) or in PDF and MOBI (Kindle compatible) formats. Only from: http://shop.coogara.com Regards Graeme Chandler Coogara Consulting http://www.coogara.com.au http://shop.coogara.com http://www.strikingwood.com.au Graeme Chandler wrote: > Coogara Consulting is pleased to announce that our new book is > available: > > "FireMonkey Dev...

Delphi XE5 Firemonkey iOS7 Style (where is it?)
It says here http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/whats-new that XE5 has "iOS 7 SDK support and style" Where is the iOS7 style? - All I can see is iOS6 style components. I can compile on iOS7 and it will bring up the keyboard in iOS 7 but none of the drag and drop components from firemonkey are iOS7 style. Am I missing something obvious? > {quote:title=David Templar wrote:}{quote} > It says here http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/whats-new that XE5 has "iOS 7 SDK support and style" > > Where is the iOS7 style? - All I can see is...

Web resources about - Delphi FireMonkey project / testComplete and MSAA - embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey

SmartBear Launches TestComplete 10
SmartBear Software , quality and performance management solution provider, has announced a new version of its flagship product, TestComplete ...

Using GUI Forms in TestComplete - Automation Beyond
All the content referenced below does not copy or represent a commercial solution. This is a collection of ideas and implemented concepts, research ...

TheThreeRulesOfTdd
ArticleS . UncleBob . Edit Page: !title The Three Laws of TDD.Over the years I have come to describe Test Driven Development in terms of three ...

QA - Engineer jobs at Granicus, Inc - San Francisco
Post a job on the CrunchBoard, the official job board of the TechCrunch Network. The CrunchBoard gives you access to the millions of technology ...

SmartBear Supports Selenium WebDriver
... an open source automation tool with one of the largest user communities in the software development world. New versions of SmartBear's TestComplete ...

Hibernation Is Over, SmartBear Is On The Hunt
Better mobile platform support with TestComplete 10.4 and QAComplete 9.

All - Embedded
Embedded.com is a leading source for reliable Embedded Systems development articles, tech papers, webinars, courses, products, and tools. Visit ...

SmartBear HTML5 Testing Solution Now Supports Sencha
SmartBear Software announced a new version of its TestComplete testing solution that supports Sencha Ext JS and more.

- Greg Gauthier
I offer a powerful mixture of experiential wisdom and a deep love of change and progress in the form of new technologies. I have a knack for ...

Continuous Integration on the Hanselminutes Technology Podcast: Fresh Air for Developers
In this episode, scott focuses on Continuous Integration, highlighting nearly 20 tools that you can use today to help automate the test and build ...