XE5 upd2 - can't connect FireDAC with Oracle

We just took the first step from Delphi 5 / BDE to XE5 / FireDAC...

We can't figure out how FDConnectionDefs.ini and FDDrivers.ini should look like to get FDExplorer in contact with our Oracle DBMS.

We have two Oracle clients on the server, and apparently this confuses FireDAC.  It seems to look for key ORACLE_HOME in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE - but our two ORACLE_HOMEs are one step further in.

So then we try an easy connection like "Database=host:[port][/service name]" in FDConnectionDefs.ini:

[Oracle_Test]
DriverID=Ora
Database=OSDB6407:1521/VIGO4
User_Name=VIGOS
Password=<password>

But with no success.

We have tried several combinations of settings in the two .ini, and most of them gives this:

  Searching for Instant Client ...
    Not found !
  Searching for Oracle Home ...
    Checking Oracle Home at key [\Software\Oracle] ...
    Not found !
  Error: [FireDAC][Phys][Ora]-1309. OCI is not properly installed on this machine (NOE1/INIT)
Failed to load DBMS client !

And some gives this:

Failed to load DBMS client !
[FireDAC][Comp][Clnt]-340. Driver ID is not defined. Set TFDConnection.DriverName or add DriverID to your connection definition

So the million dollar question is:

What should FDConnectionDefs.ini and FDDrivers.ini look like to get FDExplorer/FireDAC in contact with our Oracle DBMS?

The next step is of course to make an application that talks with our database.
0
Magne

> What should FDConnectionDefs.ini and FDDrivers.ini look like to get FDExplorer/FireDAC in contact with our Oracle DBMS?

Your FDConnectionDefs.ini looks correct. And at moment I does not see the need to
update FDDrivers.ini and explicitly specify Oracle home or path to OCI.DLL.

1) How many Oracle homes you have at the workstation and which versions ?
2) Is your primary Oracle home BIN folder included into PATH ?

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Arefiev / FireDAC Architect

> 1) How many Oracle homes you have at the workstation and which versions ?

Two - one Standard Edition and one Enterprise Edition.  Both version 11.2.0.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ORACLE\KEY_OraDb11g_home1\ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ORACLE\KEY_OraDb11g_home2\ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2

> 2) Is your primary Oracle home BIN folder included into PATH ?

Yes.

PATH=
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\12.0\bin;
C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\12.0\Bpl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\12.0\bin64;
C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\12.0\Bpl\Win64;
C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\bin;
C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\CollabNet;
%SystemRoot%\system32;
%SystemRoot%;
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\TMS Grid Pack\bpl\
0
Magne
2/13/2014 8:16:07 PM
1) Are both Oracle homes x86 (correct) or x64 ? You need x86 Oracle client software for your x86 application.
2) If both are x86, then to resolve issue could you please send export of your registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ORACLE and simplest application reproducing your issue to Dmitry dot Arefiev at embarcadero dot com. As a workaround try to set TFDPhysOracleDriverLink.VendorLib to C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\bin\oci.dll. Does it work ?

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Arefiev / FireDAC Architect
FireDAC - Firebird, SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL,
DB2, SQL Anywhere, Access, Informix, ODBC high-speed data access lib
0
Dmitry
2/18/2014 7:36:03 AM
Sorry for my late answer... I have been away from this for a while now.  A workaround for the problem turned out to be installing a third client - a 32 bit instant client. Thanks for answering!

> {quote:title=Dmitry Arefiev wrote:}{quote}
> 1) Are both Oracle homes x86 (correct) or x64 ? You need x86 Oracle client software for your x86 application.
> 2) If both are x86, then to resolve issue could you please send export of your registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ORACLE and simplest application reproducing your issue to Dmitry dot Arefiev at embarcadero dot com. As a workaround try to set TFDPhysOracleDriverLink.VendorLib to C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\bin\oci.dll. Does it work ?
>
> --
> With best regards,
> Dmitry Arefiev / FireDAC Architect
> FireDAC - Firebird, SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL,
> DB2, SQL Anywhere, Access, Informix, ODBC high-speed data access lib
0
Magne

Delphi XE5
Hi Watching Pawels video on Firedac usage he has his DataExplorer window showing all his Firedac connections. However, on my DataExplorer I only have dbExpress connections shown. Any idea why the Firedac ones are missing and how I can get them to show (so I can use them)? Barry Wood wrote: > Hi > Watching Pawels video on Firedac usage he has his DataExplorer window showing all his Firedac connections. However, on my DataExplorer I only have dbExpress connections shown. Any idea why the Firedac ones are missing and how I can get them to show (so I can use them)? Data Explorer supp...

FireDac in Delphi XE5 Pro
Does FireDac in delphi xe5 Pro (without any add-ins) provide any useful functionality ? Based upon what I've read, it seems to offer an alternative (better)?) means to link to Access and MySQL when they are installed on the same PC. Pete K FireDAC does SQLite w/ encryption on Windows. Peter Kane wrote: > Does FireDac in delphi xe5 Pro (without any add-ins) provide any > useful functionality ? Based upon what I've read, it seems to offer > an alternative (better)?) means to link to Access and MySQL when they > are installed on the same PC. > > Pete...

Couldn't connect to 'localhost' with origin from 'local_classpath_classes'
I have installed jconnect30 and JDK115 on windows NT using netscape navigator404. After running httpd script, I ran the sample applet isql in navigator through URL: http://localhost:8000/sample/gateway.html. But I got the Unexpected Exception: netscape.security.AppletSecurityException: security.Couldn't connect to 'localhost' with origin from 'local-classpath-classes'. please help me E-mail: mlsun@public1.sdjnptt.net.cn This is being caused by Communicator finding the SybDriver class locally rather than downloading it via HTTP. Start communicator by ...

FireDAC XE5 with Delphi XE
I have Delphi Enterprise XE5 and XE, and use both for various projects. Is it possible to use the new FireDAC that comes with XE5 (v9.x I believe) with Delphi Enterprise XE? If so, how do I obtain the standalone FireDAC XE5 installer? I have an active RAD Studio Enterprise software assurance plan. I've looked for FireDAC XE5 in my registered users download section, but I can't find anything for FireDAC XE5. I can only find downloads for FireDAC XE4. Regards, -Kevin Hello Kevin > Is it possible to use the new FireDAC that comes with XE5 (v9.x I > believe) wi...

GUID Ending With X'00' Causes FireDAC Exception [FireDAC][DatS]-10. Fixed length column [field-name] data length mismatch.
I have been having intermittent difficulties with GUID fields in Interbase. I have finally been able to determine that I can reliably recreate the FireDAC exception by making sure that the low order byte of the GUID posted to the database has the value X'00'. Likewise, if I ensure that the low order byte does not have this value the FireDAC exception never appears. This looks suspiciously like something is counting a length by using null-terminated string logic. A GUID is a 128 bit number and any value from all X'00' through all X'FF' is valid, so null-...

couldn't connect to 'localhost' with origin from 'local_classpath_classes' #2
I have installed jconnect30 and JDK115 on windows NT using netscape navigator404. After running httpd script, I ran the sample applet isql in navigator through URL: http://localhost:8000/sample/gateway.html. But I got the Unexpected Exception: netscape.security.AppletSecurityException: security.Couldn't connect to 'localhost' with origin from 'local-classpath-classes'. please help me E-mail: mlsun@public1.sdjnptt.net.cn ...

FireDAC folder absent (Delphi XE5)
I'm just poking around with FireDAC for the first time We're using Delphi 5 Enterprise version, so should be able to access MySQL on a remote server. My initial issues are that the files that I'd expect to see (from [this|http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE5/en/Utilities_(FireDAC)] article) don;t seem to exist. Coupled to this, when I run FireDAC Explorer from C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\12.0\bin it deems to be looking for a folder +\RAD Studio\FireDAC+ and so doesn't save the created profiles... Any suggestions? > {quote:title=Dan ...

Couldn't connect to Oracle Database..
hi,  i'm creating, database driven websites. I'm using, MS .NET 2003 Professional to create web pages and I use, Oracle 9i as my backend. I connect to the backend using data adapter. Connection is getting succeded. But when I add some data to the tables in my database, I'm getting the following error.   System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in t...

Why Doesn't KDE's NetworkManager Widget Have A 'Connect' Option?
Why is there no option in NetworkManager to actually connect, or disconnect, to a network? I set up local wifi here, on 12.1, while I was using KWallet. Then, when I became annoyed with KKWallet's incessant requests for my password, I turned it off. Apparently, that threw Network Manager for a loop, because at reboot a "Secrets" popup appeared demanding a password, but refused to accept any keystrokes. I say "apparently" because the little popup was devoid of any text that might explain its presence. All this in spite of the fact that the WPA password for ...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

Firedac memtable included wih delphi XE5 Pro?
Hello, is the firedac memtable included with the Delphi XE5 pro sku? Mike Margerum wrote: > Hello, is the firedac memtable included with the Delphi XE5 pro sku? According to the feature matrix: http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/delphi-feature-matrix Yes. -- Dave Nottage [TeamB] Thank you dave. I couldn't find that feature matrix. ...

FireDAC and FetchBlobs with MySQL 5.5 and Delphi XE5
I try to obtain a stream of blob field stored in MySQL Database. With Oracle and MSSQL, it works great but with MYSQL, it doesn't work. I proceed like it's indicated in the documentation: ms-help://embarcadero.rs_xe5/libraries/FireDAC.Comp.DataSet.TFDDataSet.FetchBlobs.html {code} FDQuery1.FetchOptions.Items := FDQuery1.FetchOptions.Items - [fiBlobs]; FDQuery1.Open; ..... FDQuery1.FetchBlobs; oStr := FDQuery1.CreateBlobStream(FDQuery1.FieldByName('image'), bmRead); try // process image finally oStr.Free; end; {code} Does somebody succeed loading blob in ...

Oracle connection doesn't work after publishing
Hello,  This is my first time working with Oracle on top of .NET and I ran into this strange problem. I am able to display data in GridView when I develop and test the aspx page in VS, however after I am done and published the website to a new folder on the very same machine, I get an exception when I try to display data. The exception I get is this: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.  I have sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora setup. I don't know if that mattered, but it didn't help. What's going on here? thanks  Debu...

Why won't it connect w/ Oracle when I run it?
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my application won't connect with Oracle when I run it, but it is connected when I am creating a data window and I can browse throught the data. I am using Oracle 9.0 and PB 8.0.3. I've already run the connection wizard and it still doesn't connect. Thanks, Jorge That would indicate that in your applicatin you are not populating sqlca correctly. Use the debugger to see what values you are assigning to sqlca.dbms, etc. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post...

Web resources about - XE5 upd2 - can't connect FireDAC with Oracle - embarcadero.delphi.firedac