Delphi 6 BDE/Indy 10 app crashes in Windows 2008?

I've got a user that reports my Delphi 6 BDE/Indy 10 app that crashes immediately after it is launched when being run on Windows 2008.  I'm very puzzled as to why it happened as i had ported the application to work on Vista SP1 a few months ago (by creating the manifest) and thought that Vista and Windows 2008 are similar.  As i do not have Windows 2008, I'm still trying to find more info from my user (from another country).

Has anyone experience problems with Windows 2008?  Thanks.  :)
0
joshua
3/19/2009 3:56:50 PM
embarcadero.delphi.deployment 422 articles. 0 followers. Follow

<joshua lim> wrote in message news:94464@forums.codegear.com...

> I've got a user that reports my Delphi 6 BDE/Indy 10 app that
> crashes immediately after it is launched when being run on
> Windows 2008.

Crashes how exactly?  You need to provide more information.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> <joshua lim> wrote in message news:94464@forums.codegear.com...
>
> > I've got a user that reports my Delphi 6 BDE/Indy 10 app that
> > crashes immediately after it is launched when being run on
> > Windows 2008.
>
> Crashes how exactly?  You need to provide more information.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Thanks.  at the moment, i only got the screenshot.
http://dudeme.com/crashcapture.zip

Will be getting more details.
0
joshua
3/19/2009 5:21:19 PM
<joshua lim> wrote in message news:94500@forums.codegear.com...

> Thanks.  at the moment, i only got the screenshot.
> http://dudeme.com/crashcapture.zip

That screenshot is useless.  It does not provide any useful info to diagnose
the problem.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

> <joshua lim> wrote in message news:94500@forums.codegear.com...
>
> > Thanks.  at the moment, i only got the screenshot.
> > http://dudeme.com/crashcapture.zip
>
> That screenshot is useless.  It does not provide any useful info to diagnose
> the problem.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
joshua
3/20/2009 9:04:42 AM
ok, guess what?  we found out that the problem might be due to DEP!  Further research says that Vista Ultimate and Windows 2008 Server turns on DEP by default for ALL applications.

> {quote:title=joshua lim wrote:}{quote}
> Thanks, i discovered it is due to the anti-debugger in ASProtect used on the program and something to do with  MSCOMCTL.dll.  Weird that it doesn't work on Windows 2008 although it works on Vista SP1.  :/
>

> > {quote:title=Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
> > <joshua lim> wrote in message news:94500@forums.codegear.com...
> >
> > > Thanks.  at the moment, i only got the screenshot.
> > > http://dudeme.com/crashcapture.zip
> >
> > That screenshot is useless.  It does not provide any useful info to diagnose
> > the problem.
> >
> > --
> > Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Edited by: joshua lim on Mar 22, 2009 9:01 AM
0
joshua
3/22/2009 4:01:26 PM
Hi Joshua
Am interested that you are still using BDE.  What installer are you using.
I am changing from installshield to inno but having hassles with the install
of BDE - the BDEINST.dll gives an incorrect diskspace error I cannot get
round.  Also there is a prob with  the cfg file I think.  Any
advice/experience here greatly appreciated.  I have to get my app running on
64 bit OS but don't have time nowto replace BDE
Regards
Jenny

"joshua lim" wrote in message news:95562@forums.codegear.com...
> ok, guess what?  we found out that the problem might be due to DEP!
> Further research says that Vista Ultimate and Windows 2008 Server turns on
> DEP by default for ALL applications.
>

>> {quote:title=joshua lim wrote:}{quote}
>> Thanks, i discovered it is due to the anti-debugger in ASProtect used on
>> the program and something to do with  MSCOMCTL.dll.  Weird that it
>> doesn't work on Windows 2008 although it works on Vista SP1.  :/
>>

>> > {quote:title=Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}

>> > That screenshot is useless.  It does not provide any useful info to
>> > diagnose
>> > the problem.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
>
> Edited by: joshua lim on Mar 22, 2009 9:01 AM
0
Jenny

migrating from Delphi 6 With Indy 10 to XE7 with Indy 10
I updated the original Indy in D6 to version 10 several years ago. Now I want to migrate my application from D6 to XE7 and would like some feedback on the best route to take. I usually send data using readln and writeln statements. The data is typically XML format. Since migrating to XE7 will include potential unicode data what is the best approach to take when reading and writing data? Will writeln and readln work in these cases or should I be using a different strategy to send unicode data between the tidtcpclient and tidtcpserver applications? al wrote: > I usually send data ...

Indy 10.6 compiler error with Delphi 6
In IdWinsock2.pas, lines 5684 to 5687, some IFDEFs seem to be missing to work around the missing unit64 type in Delphi 6: Here is the 'fixed' code with IFDEFs PeerApplicationAccessTokenHandle : {$IFDEF HAS_UInt64}UInt64{$ELSE}Int64{$ENDIF}; PeerMachineAccessTokenHandle : {$IFDEF HAS_UInt64}UInt64{$ELSE}Int64{$ENDIF}; MmSaId : {$IFDEF HAS_UInt64}UInt64{$ELSE}Int64{$ENDIF}; QmSaId : {$IFDEF HAS_UInt64}UInt64{$ELSE}Int64{$ENDIF}; -- Michael Justin Hello Michael, > In IdWinsock2.pas, lines 5684 to 5687, some IFDEFs seem to be missing > to...

Indy 10.6 compilation with Delphi 2009
With the current Subversion branch, the Delphi 2009 compiler shows these errors: C:\Delphi\indy-10.6\Lib\System\IdStackWindows.pas(287) Error: E2137 Method 'GetSocketOption' not found in base class C:\Delphi\indy-10.6\Lib\System\IdStackWindows.pas(289) Error: E2137 Method 'SetSocketOption' not found in base class C:\Delphi\indy-10.6\Lib\System\IdStackWindows.pas(322) Fatal: F2063 Could not compile used unit 'IdIDN.pas' TIdStackWindows in System\IdStackWindows.pas, Lines 287 to 290: procedure GetSocketOption(ASocket: TIdStackSocketHandle; ALevel...

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Error in initializing BDE: $2108 when deploying Delphi App
I developed a database application using Delphi 2010 and MS ACCESS 2007 database with Borland Database Engine. When I deployed it on the target computer (Win XP) having MS Office 2007 and ran my app, it displayed an error message: Error in initializing BDE: $2108. I used InstallAware software for deployment. Using InstallAware, I added registry entry for HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE|SOFTWARE|BORLAND|DATABASE ENGINE from my computer. I also created USer DSN for my database on the target machine. But the deployment software doesn't add this registry entry in the target machine. so, when I run my p...

Indy 10: multicasting in Windows and MAC with Delphi XE2
Hi everyone, I am trying the new version of Delphi, XE2. I want to make a mDNS client / server, so I have placed the components TIdIPMCastClient and TIdIPMCastServer, and configured them. Under Windows, I have been able to send packets using the TIdIPMCastServer, although they are not with the source port 5353 (the one for mDNS), because I get always the error "address already in use". How can I workaround this problem, so I can send multicast datagrams with source port 5353? But under MAC, I have alway the error "Socket error #22, invalid argument". I have tried two...

deploying a delphi 5 exe on a windows 2008 small business server
Has anyone tried running delphi 5 exe's on a windows 2008 small business server? <Andrew Bobby> wrote in message news:64140@forums.codegear.com... > Has anyone tried running delphi 5 exe's on a windows 2008 small business > server? Are you having a particular problem with it? -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) > {quote:title=Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:}{quote} > <Andrew Bobby> wrote in message news:64140@forums.codegear.com... > > > Has anyone tried running delphi 5 exe's on a windows 2008 small business > > server? > > Are ...

delphi 7 Indy 9 and Indy 10
Hi, I can upgrade to indy 10 in delphi 7. But I have discover that indy 9 and Indy 10 have some different properties, so i had to change my old programs that were made in indy 9 to upgrade it to new version, but it is a long work. So I want to know if it is possible to install in the same delphi 7 both versions indy 10 and indy 9. I have tried to do it but i received a error message: Cannot load package 'IndySystem70'. It contains unit 'IdWinSock2', which is also contained in package 'Indy70'. Some can give me ideas or a link to read how to install both versi...

Delphi 2007
Hi, I'm trying to install the latest build of Indy 10. I downloaded the following zip from "http://indy.fulgan.com/ZIP": *Monday, October 13, 2008 11:32 PM 6697544 indy10.zip* What I did with the zip: 1. I unzipped indy10.zip. 2. I removed my current Indy 10 from Delphi 2007 3. I opened Indy100Net.dpk and compiled it. I got the following 2 errors: [DCC Error] Indy100Net.dpk(4): E1030 Invalid compiler directive: 'ALIGN' [DCC Error] Indy100Net.dpk(30): E2202 Required package 'Borland.Delphi' not found package Indy100Net; {$R *.res} *{$...

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 conversion
Hi We are moving our product from D5 to D6. I have dealt with all the deprecated functions. However, we are getting various platform specifc warnings. These include: Symbol 'FileGetAttr' is specific to a platform Symbol 'FileSetAttr' is specific to a platform Symbol 'faReadOnly' is specific to a platform We want this conversion to be carried out correctly. We don't view the simple solution of switching off those warnings or symbols as being the correct way. What we want is the same platform independence as other functions. For example, all o...

Windows 10 and Delphi
It would be nice if MS would support Object Pascal http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/technology/microsoft-looks-to-windows-10-for-a-jolt-in-the-mobile-realm.html ...

Windows 10 and Delphi
It would be nice if MS would support Object Pascal http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/technology/microsoft-looks-to-windows-10-for-a-jolt-in-the-mobile-realm.html ...

Web resources about - Delphi 6 BDE/Indy 10 app crashes in Windows 2008? - embarcadero.delphi.deployment

Lightning Crashes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Lightning Crashes " is a song by the rock band Live , from their 1994 album, Throwing Copper . The track wasn't released as a single in the ...

When New York Times website crashes, newspaper turns to Facebook Notes
When The New York Times’ website suffered some downtime Wednesday because of technical issues, the newspaper turned to Facebook Notes to post ...

Zimbabwe Bull Elephant Crashes Into Tourists at Mana Pools - YouTube
As we were eating brunch an elephant was eating pods off of the ground and as it approached we were told to stay very still, which we did. To ...

Facebook crashes in rare global outage
Users in the UAE were unable to access Facebook after it crashed just after midday on Thursday.

Worst Driver of the Day: Old Man Crashes Into Everything In Piggly Wiggly Parking Lot
No, this isn’t footage from “GTA V.” A 92-year-old man named Russell Kerr pulled his minivan out of the parking lot last Friday at a Piggly Wiggly ...

Man crashes car doing burnouts allegedly twice over limit at Port Pirie - AdelaideNow Search Search
A MAN was arrested after allegedly doing burnouts while almost two times over the limit and crashing into a fence at Port Pirie.

Young passengers die in Queensland road crashes
A young male passenger has died after the ute in which he was travelling rolled on the Burnett Highway south of Rockhampton.

Two killed in separate crashes at Williams Landing and Nariel Valley
A 19-year-old woman and a 45-year-old man were&nbsp;killed in separate crashes on Sunday.

Two dead in separate crashes
A WOMAN has died in a three-car collision in southwest Melbourne overnight.