"Connection closed gracefully" on computers where Delphi is not installed

Hello dear programmers,

I am experiencing a problem with an email client application I made using indy TIdSMTP:
I didn't experience problems on development computers, where there's Delphi installed. On other computers, while sending mail I get this exception: "Connection closed gracefully" and email is not sent.

Maybe I should include some package?

Thanks in advance.
0
Flavio
10/14/2010 4:49:13 PM
embarcadero.delphi.deployment 422 articles. 0 followers. Follow

<Flavio Foglia> wrote in message news:297116@forums.embarcadero.com...

> I am experiencing a problem with an email client application I made using
> indy TIdSMTP:

Which versions of Delphi and Indy are you using?

> I didn't experience problems on development computers, where there's
> Delphi installed.  On other computers, while sending mail I get this
> exception: "Connection closed gracefully" and email is not sent.

That exception means the SMTP server is closing the connection on its end
while TIdSMTP is still using it.

> Maybe I should include some package?

No.  Something else is happening.  Either you are not connecting to the
correct SMTP server to begin with, or the server does not like the commands
TIdSMTP is sending and is closing the socket immediately, or something else
like that.  It is hard to say for sure without seeing the underlying TCP/IP
data flow back and forth.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

> Which versions of Delphi and Indy are you using?

I am using Delphi 2010, that comes with Indy 10.

> That exception means the SMTP server is closing the connection on its end
> while TIdSMTP is still using it.
> Either you are not connecting to the correct SMTP server to begin with, or the server does not like the commands TIdSMTP is sending and is closing the socket immediately, or something else
> like that.  It is hard to say for sure without seeing the underlying TCP/IP
> data flow back and forth.

Actually, all is working good on my development pc, and also on computers where Delphi is installed as far as I know: the SMTP address which I am connecting to is correct.
This problem occurs only on other computers, where Delphi is *not* installed. I have tried with my laptop which hasn't got it installed, and exception occurred, even if connection details were same as ones on my development pc.
0
Flavio
10/14/2010 6:32:14 PM
<Flavio Foglia> wrote in message news:297152@forums.embarcadero.com...

> Actually, all is working good on my development pc, and
> also on computers where Delphi is installed as far as I know
> This problem occurs only on other computers, where Delphi
> is *not* installed.

Whether Delphi is installed or not has no effect on Indy's behavior
whatsoever.  What you are seeing is an error message from the socket
connection itself.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> <Flavio Foglia> wrote in message news:297152@forums.embarcadero.com...
>
> > Actually, all is working good on my development pc, and
> > also on computers where Delphi is installed as far as I know
> > This problem occurs only on other computers, where Delphi
> > is *not* installed.
>
> Whether Delphi is installed or not has no effect on Indy's behavior
> whatsoever.  What you are seeing is an error message from the socket
> connection itself.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Then what could the problem be? The connection details are same, both computers are behind same router and ISP...
0
Flavio
10/15/2010 12:05:31 PM
Hello,
I've found the answer to my own problem!

The problem as I thought was some dependency missing on other computers other than development ones: the OpenSLL libraries were missing. With those, "Connection closed gracefully" doesn't appear and email is sent successfully!

Regards
1
Flavio
10/15/2010 5:40:57 PM
> {quote:title=Flavio Foglia wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
> I've found the answer to my own problem!

Flavio, thanks for posting the answer. It may help people in the future who run into the same problem.
0
Ken
10/15/2010 6:31:33 PM
> {quote:title=Ken White wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Flavio Foglia wrote:}{quote}
> > Hello,
> > I've found the answer to my own problem!
>
> Flavio, thanks for posting the answer. It may help people in the future who run into the same problem.

Yeah, that's why I posted it ;)
0
Flavio
10/15/2010 8:12:15 PM
<Flavio Foglia> wrote in message news:297354@forums.embarcadero.com...

> Then what could the problem be? The connection details
> are same, both computers are behind same router and ISP...

I do not know, but it has nothing to do with Delphi being installed or not,
that much is certain.  All I can tell you at this point is that a
"connection closed gracefully" error means the socket connection was
intentionally closed.  It could have been by either TIdSMTP or the server
(can't say without seeing a trace log from a packet sniffer), but it is very
unlikely that TIdSMTP did it (unless you have a bug in your code that forced
it), so the SMTP server likely did it on its end.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
-1

Web resources about - "Connection closed gracefully" on computers where Delphi is not installed - embarcadero.delphi.deployment