Need advice about using a database with RAD 2010

I am developing an application that now uses Libre Office Calc and Excel SSs as well as csv files.  These three options create a problem for expansion of the usability of the application. The way the application works is the user clicks on a row in a TStringGrid and the data in the columns of that row are used to create a CAD part.  I want the users to be able to add to the data and this is a problem with control of the data used by my application.  If the user changes the columns in the SS, the outcome w
ill not be correct.  Hence, I am wanting to create database tables where I know what the field names are and what data those contain.  I don't want my users to have to buy a separate application (database) just to use my application.  The data is not going to be complex and extensive.  My question is what would you suggest that would fit the bill.

I have downloaded Microsoft SQL server 2014, but am having trouble using it with RAD 2010.  That is a separate issue, that I may post a question for later.
0
Alan
3/25/2015 2:03:21 PM
embarcadero.delphi.dbexpress 764 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Based on your description, just about any database will do. What I would
suggest your first decision is to determine what type of deployment
costs you are willing to pay, and what type database technology do you
need. For example, do you need an embedded database? Do you need a
Desktop Database? Do you need a client/server database?

Alan Jordan wrote:
> I am developing an application that now uses Libre Office Calc and Excel SSs as well as csv files.  These three options create a problem for expansion of the usability of the application. The way the application works is the user clicks on a row in a TStringGrid and the data in the columns of that row are used to create a CAD part.  I want the users to be able to add to the data and this is a problem with control of the data used by my application.  If the user changes the columns in the SS, the outcome
> ill not be correct.  Hence, I am wanting to create database tables where I know what the field names are and what data those contain.  I don't want my users to have to buy a separate application (database) just to use my application.  The data is not going to be complex and extensive.  My question is what would you suggest that would fit the bill.
>
> I have downloaded Microsoft SQL server 2014, but am having trouble using it with RAD 2010.  That is a separate issue, that I may post a question for later.

0
quinn
3/25/2015 11:10:06 PM
Thanks.