FireDAC?

I'm starting a new development initiative and want to pick the tech
that will last the longest and have the most complete feature set.

Elsewhere someone noted that DBExpress has been deprecated in favour of
FireDAC. I seem to have missed the announcement of FireDAC. So I'm
looking for any info on what FireDAC is and why I should use it.

Any links?
0
Richard
11/22/2013 3:26:56 PM
embarcadero.delphi.dbexpress 764 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I just discovered the FireDAC newsgroup and the first message there is
an announcement with links to the product info and documentation. So my
basic question (What is it?) is answered.

Still don't know the future of DBExpress, though.
0
Richard
11/22/2013 3:33:47 PM
Richard Saunders wrote:
> I just discovered the FireDAC newsgroup and the first message there is
> an announcement with links to the product info and documentation. So my
> basic question (What is it?) is answered.
>
> Still don't know the future of DBExpress, though.

There has been no announcement about deprecating DBX for FireDAC or anything
like that.  That being said, DBX is a very mature technology and I don't expect
to see a lot added to it in the future.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)

DBExpress terrible performance when migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Hi, When I'm migrating my project from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007, I found that the speed slow down 3-4 times. I've started to investigate what is the reason of that and I've found that the problem is in the TSQLDataset component. So I make a simple example of an application that run one of my problem queries that fetches about 30000 rows and the result was amazing d7: 1500ms, d2007: 13500ms 8 times slower !!!! Here are some perameters of the TSQLConnection Delphi 7: object SQLConn: TSQLConnection ConnectionName = 'OracleConnection' DriverName = '...

migration from dbExpress to FireDAC?
I've found tutorials explaining how to migrate from BDE, but not from dbExpress. If I do a simple replace: TSQLConnection -> TFDConnection TSQLQuery -> TFDQuery TSQLStoredProc -> TFDStoredProc Should everything work exactly the same? Any tips I should know? (I use Oracle if that matters) What about type mappings? Should I change TFDConnection.FormatOptions.MapRules to get maximum compatibility? TIA > I've found tutorials explaining how to migrate from BDE, but not from dbExpress. There is no dbExpress -> FireDAC migration article. > Should everyth...

FireDAC for Delphi 2007 ?
Hello, I would like to know if FireDAC Client/Server Pack can be installed on Delphi 2007 pro. Thanks, Regards, Emmanuel Lion FireDAC Client/Server Pack for XE5 - No FireDAC Client/Server Pack for XE4/XE3, see: http://support.embarcadero.com/article/42970 M. E.L. wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to know if FireDAC Client/Server Pack > can be installed on Delphi 2007 pro. > > Thanks, > Regards, > > Emmanuel Lion > On 02.10.2013 18:17, quinn wildman wrote: > FireDAC Client/Server Pack for XE5 - No > FireDAC Client/Server Pack ...

FireDac Delphi Xe2
Hello, I have FireDac components installed to Delphi Xe2, My version of FireDac is 8.0.1 but in this version I have probelm with TAdoquery with StrsEmpty2Null param. It doesn't work. Maybe someone know what I have to change in FiredAc source ro remove this issue. I suggest to the FireDAC newgroup. You'll probably get a better response there. Sebastian Kumor wrote: > Hello, > I have FireDac components installed to Delphi Xe2, > My version of FireDac is 8.0.1 but in this version I have probelm with TAdoquery with StrsEmpty2Null param. > It doesn't work. Mayb...

Converting dbExpress to FireDAC
Moving from Delphi XE to Delphi XE5. Want to switch from dbExpress to FireDAC. Couple issues have come up. I am finding that if the database structure has NOT NULL on a column then FireDAC is returning the Required property as True in the dataset. When I try to update a record where I pass an empty string (not a NULL value) that I get a "Field Value Required" error. That doesn't make sense to me. An empty string is a real value, not a NULL value. Is there a switch to turn off this behavior or make the Required property work as expected. I am also finding I am getting "...

Delphi Prism dbexpress
Other than dbExpress AS400 driver for Delphi Prism is there any other driver for connecting to Sybase Database from the windows client other than ODBC? ...

Drive dbExpress Delphi
Hello, Doesn't the drive ASA of Sybase support multiple transactions in a same application? Tank you Do you mean multiple connections or multiple transactions? ASA doesn't support multiple concurrent transactions on the same connection. Only one transaction can be active at any one time. You can use savepoints within a transaction though. See the documentation for details. You can have multiple connections active through DBExpress with no problems. -- Jason Hinsperger Product Manager iAnywhere Solutions ******************************************************...

FireDac Delphi Xe2
Hello, I have FireDac components installed to Delphi Xe2, My version of FireDac is 8.0.1 but in this version I have probelm with TAdoquery with StrsEmpty2Null param. It doesn't work. Maybe someone know what I have to change in FiredAc source to remove this issue. To set the Param on NULL value before executing the query I do: {code} with qryExample.ParamByName('Example_id') do Begin DataType:=ftInteger; Clear; // Bound := True; End; {code} > {quote:title=Robert Triest wrote:}{quote} > To set the Param on NULL value before executing the query I do: >...

FireDac Delphi Xe2
Hello, I have FireDac components installed to Delphi Xe2, My version of FireDac is 8.0.1 but in this version I have probelm with TAdoquery with StrsEmpty2Null param. It doesn't work. Maybe someone know what I have to change in FiredAc source to remove this issue. To set the Param on NULL value before executing the query I do: {code} with qryExample.ParamByName('Example_id') do Begin DataType:=ftInteger; Clear; // Bound := True; End; {code} > {quote:title=Robert Triest wrote:}{quote} > To set the Param on NULL value before executing the query I do: >...

Driver to Delphi DBExpress
Hi... Does anyone know if exist some SYBASE driver to DBExpress ? Regards Marco I don't think there exists one yet, and I haven't heard of anyone working on one (yet). IAnywhere knows about this but hasn't made any commitments (yet). However, you don't need DBExpress! See Marco Cantu's book Mastering Delphi 6 as to why. Simply, dbGO is a MUCH better alternative, and for my money, the best way to go yet to connect from Delphi to ASA. ASA 8 comes with a "provider" that allows you to use dbGO (essentially OLEDB). I recommend you check i...

FireDac Delphi Xe2
Hello, I have FireDac components installed to Delphi Xe2, My version of FireDac is 8.0.1 but in this version I have probelm with TAdoquery with StrsEmpty2Null param. It doesn't work. Maybe someone know what I have to change in FiredAc source ro remove this issue. I suggest to the FireDAC newgroup. You'll probably get a better response there. Sebastian Kumor wrote: > Hello, > I have FireDac components installed to Delphi Xe2, > My version of FireDac is 8.0.1 but in this version I have probelm with TAdoquery with StrsEmpty2Null param. > It doesn't work. Mayb...

FireDAC or dBExpress for new applications
Is dBExpress going away? Is it being replaced by fireDAC? I am currently working on desktop applications that will use SQLite or Firebird, at first the app will be be a desktop app but may move over to a client server application. Is there a simple answer to why FireDAC is better than dBExpress? My understanding is that it can communicate with more databases than dBExpress, offering future application expandability without as much code rework that would be required if dBExpress was used as the dB communication engine. Thanks Tim > Is there a simple answer to why FireDAC i...

Firedac for Delphi XE Pro
Will the XE4 Client Server Pack for FireDac work properly with Delphi XE Professional? Will that provide the full Firedac functionality or is it limited? Is it dependent on functionality in the Enterprise product which is not in the Professional? And finally, will I have the license rights to market and sell the application I create? I understand it does not require dbexpress which has certain restrictions, correct? I would like to be able to evaluate it in an XE environment without upgrading everything just to try and work with it. Patrick Moloney wrote: > Will the XE4 Client Serve...

FireDAC for Delphi Pro XE4
Hi, Being a Delphi Pro XE4 user with a valid FireDAC subscription, where can I download FireDAC for Delphi Pro XE4? Thanks, Luk Luk Smolders wrote: >Being a Delphi Pro XE4 user with a valid FireDAC subscription, where >can I download FireDAC for Delphi Pro XE4? I got mine from https://cc.embarcadero.com/item/29369 Cheers, Nick -- Sent from my XanaNews v1.19.1.373 > {quote:title=Nicholas Ring wrote:}{quote} > Luk Smolders wrote: > > >Being a Delphi Pro XE4 user with a valid FireDAC subscription, where > >can I download FireDAC for Delp...

Web resources about - FireDAC? - embarcadero.delphi.dbexpress

DSP Engineer - Jobs - CFO World - Finance & Technology
CFOworld.com.au covers accounting, risk management, taxation, technology and financial news from ASX-listed companies.

Embarcadero Launches RAD Studio XE7
CSO Australia - News, Industry Blogs, Tools and Resources for Data Security Executives

Embarcadero RAD Studio XE7
Extends Windows to mobile devices, gadgets, and wearables

Embarcadero Webinars

Embarcadero RAD Studio XE7 (Delphi, C++Builder): is seven the magic number?
Embarcadero has released version 7 of its XE programming suite. The main products included are Delphi and C++ Builder, RAD development tools ...

Embarcadero RAD Studio XE7 - Dr Dobb's
Extends Windows to mobile devices, gadgets, and wearables