simple database options for my Delphi 2010 application

Hello,

This is a very general question which I hope will provide me with some guidance on how to proceed with database design for my Delphi 2010 application.

My application is currently used by a few groups of users which range from 4 to 12 users per group.  The exe is 8 MB, and it is resident on a server owned by each group.  Access is via Remote Desktop from client machines within the group network. Several users can be logged in to concurrent sessions of the application and that has never posed any issue. Each user within a group accesses the same database files.

For my databases, I use about 15 different flat files which are just files of records, ranging from 5 fields up to 25 fields, the 25 field record being the main database which is written to the most.  Only very sporadically are the files written to - on average the 25 field file will be modified 125 times total per day between all of the users.  This largest of active files never gets above 4 MB, as we archive data periodically. 

With the small size of the files, the few users, and the low frequency of record modification, the file of records model has been successful. I'm now, however, entertaining the idea of providing the application to a group of 100 users, which will proportionally increase file size and frequency of file writing.  My concern is that with the considerable increase in users, the probability of concurrent attempts to write to a single database will increase proportionally.  I imagine the potential for corruptio
n will increase dramatically.

The other inherent problem with the file of records technique - a problem I have now even with the low number of users -  is the inability to easily modify the file format.  If I want to add a field to the record or just change the length of a string field, I need to get the database files from each group, "rewrite" them with the new format, and then send them back to the group.  Again, right now this is manageable, but could become a significant headache down the line.

What I'm looking to do is convert my databases to something which will address the concerns that I have listed.  Right now everything is very portable as the database files just sit in the same folder as the application, and are easily installed or moved if necessary.  I'd like to keep this portability and not require any type of additional server or installation.  I looked for some alternatives and it seems that maybe sqlite might be the answer, but I don't really know enough about my options to make an 
informed decision.

I'm hoping someone can make a suggestion on where I might proceed, given the application requirements.  I thank you very much in advance.

M
0
Mark
3/5/2015 3:38:47 AM
embarcadero.delphi.database 1294 articles. 0 followers. Follow

2 Replies
591 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 52

Have a look at postgreSQL.


> {quote:title=Mark Naples wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
> 
> This is a very general question which I hope will provide me with some guidance on how to proceed with database design for my Delphi 2010 application.
> 
> My application is currently used by a few groups of users which range from 4 to 12 users per group.  The exe is 8 MB, and it is resident on a server owned by each group.  Access is via Remote Desktop from client machines within the group network. Several users can be logged in to concurrent sessions of the application and that has never posed any issue. Each user within a group accesses the same database files.
> 
> For my databases, I use about 15 different flat files which are just files of records, ranging from 5 fields up to 25 fields, the 25 field record being the main database which is written to the most.  Only very sporadically are the files written to - on average the 25 field file will be modified 125 times total per day between all of the users.  This largest of active files never gets above 4 MB, as we archive data periodically. 
> 
> With the small size of the files, the few users, and the low frequency of record modification, the file of records model has been successful. I'm now, however, entertaining the idea of providing the application to a group of 100 users, which will proportionally increase file size and frequency of file writing.  My concern is that with the considerable increase in users, the probability of concurrent attempts to write to a single database will increase proportionally.  I imagine the potential for corrupt
ion will increase dramatically.
> 
> The other inherent problem with the file of records technique - a problem I have now even with the low number of users -  is the inability to easily modify the file format.  If I want to add a field to the record or just change the length of a string field, I need to get the database files from each group, "rewrite" them with the new format, and then send them back to the group.  Again, right now this is manageable, but could become a significant headache down the line.
> 
> What I'm looking to do is convert my databases to something which will address the concerns that I have listed.  Right now everything is very portable as the database files just sit in the same folder as the application, and are easily installed or moved if necessary.  I'd like to keep this portability and not require any type of additional server or installation.  I looked for some alternatives and it seems that maybe sqlite might be the answer, but I don't really know enough about my options to make a
n informed decision.
> 
> I'm hoping someone can make a suggestion on where I might proceed, given the application requirements.  I thank you very much in advance.
> 
> M
0
Jeffrey
3/5/2015 3:44:59 AM
I think there are many products which will fulfill the requirements you 
have stated. The one suggestion I have is you should use some sort of 
database server technology (client-server). There many players in this 
space. I think it's often a religious discussion. We make a product in 
this space called InterBase and we'd love to have your business. I think 
you'll find InterBase's low cost of ownership, small footprint and 
performance of interest.

You can use InterBase express (IBX) or possibly DBexpress (DBX) to 
access InterBase from Delphi 2010. DBX connectivity would require that 
you have the Enterprise edition of Delphi. IBX will work with the 
Professional edition.

What I would recommend you do first is determine the type of database 
technology that meets your requirements and how much you are willing to 
pay for it. This will reduce the number of contenders.

One thing also to consider is Delphi 2010 is only going to officially 
support database technology that was available at that time. The current 
version of InterBase is InterBase XE7 and was released in September. 
Delphi 2010 should work fine with it, but will not have access to all 
new features introduced since then. If you want access to all new 
features, then you would need to update Delphi as well.

Mark Naples wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a very general question which I hope will provide me with some guidance on how to proceed with database design for my Delphi 2010 application.
>
> My application is currently used by a few groups of users which range from 4 to 12 users per group.  The exe is 8 MB, and it is resident on a server owned by each group.  Access is via Remote Desktop from client machines within the group network. Several users can be logged in to concurrent sessions of the application and that has never posed any issue. Each user within a group accesses the same database files.
>
> For my databases, I use about 15 different flat files which are just files of records, ranging from 5 fields up to 25 fields, the 25 field record being the main database which is written to the most.  Only very sporadically are the files written to - on average the 25 field file will be modified 125 times total per day between all of the users.  This largest of active files never gets above 4 MB, as we archive data periodically.
>
> With the small size of the files, the few users, and the low frequency of record modification, the file of records model has been successful. I'm now, however, entertaining the idea of providing the application to a group of 100 users, which will proportionally increase file size and frequency of file writing.  My concern is that with the considerable increase in users, the probability of concurrent attempts to write to a single database will increase proportionally.  I imagine the potential for corrupt
io
> n will increase dramatically.
>
> The other inherent problem with the file of records technique - a problem I have now even with the low number of users -  is the inability to easily modify the file format.  If I want to add a field to the record or just change the length of a string field, I need to get the database files from each group, "rewrite" them with the new format, and then send them back to the group.  Again, right now this is manageable, but could become a significant headache down the line.
>
> What I'm looking to do is convert my databases to something which will address the concerns that I have listed.  Right now everything is very portable as the database files just sit in the same folder as the application, and are easily installed or moved if necessary.  I'd like to keep this portability and not require any type of additional server or installation.  I looked for some alternatives and it seems that maybe sqlite might be the answer, but I don't really know enough about my options to make a
n
> informed decision.
>
> I'm hoping someone can make a suggestion on where I might proceed, given the application requirements.  I thank you very much in advance.
>
> M
>
0
quinn
3/5/2015 10:35:24 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Good (Free) Database Choice For Simple Local Database For Delphi 2009
For years I have used the BDE and dVolga ( no longer abailable ) but want to learn how to use other third-party and/or Delphi 2009 vcl components for simple databases. For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with graphic field support for one field what is a good choice? What is available to do this without buying anything or possibly with a freeware component? Should I use DBExpress? Is a commercial database application necessary to create the database? Is something available from Microsoft as a free download to create and possibly edit a...

Can you recommend a simple non dependancy Database to work with Delphi 2010
Hi I recently bought Delphi 2010 having moved from Lazarus/FPC, I used lazarus with Zeoslib package to use single file Sqlite databases in my apps and it worked great. Having bought Delphi 2010 PRO the current Zeoslib does not support delphi 2010, so I am looking to embed a database in my apps that does not require any additional files installing on the end users computer except maybe a dll file with the executable. My question is does delphi ship with anything similar to what I have described above, or can anyone recommend a freeware component that will function with Delphi 2010. Thank...

delphi 2010 database
Hello, I’m new to this forum, currently I have application with MS Access and all works good for me. But I need more reliable without DLL or other dependencies (for Delphi 2010) I found many databases for Delphi, I prefer free or less than $100.00 Thanks On 2010-11-28 19:09:31 -0500, Falah Latino <> said: > Hello, > I’m new to this forum, currently I have application with MS Access and > all works good for me. > But I need more reliable without DLL or other dependencies (for Delphi 2010) > I found many databases for Delphi, > I prefer free or less tha...

Delphi 2010 Trial and Database modelling.
Hello I am trying to work out how to get to / use / install if required the database modelling in 2010 architect version. Apparently it uses/ comes with / integrates Embarcadero® ER/Studio® 8.0 Developer Edition but I can't seem to find it on the installation or web site for download. Any help / pointers on how to get started would be appreciated Thanks Paul On 2009-12-17 6:04 AM, Paul Richardson wrote: > Hello > > I am trying to work out how to get to / use / install if required the > database modelling in 2010 architect version. Apparently ...

mysql database, delphi 2010 and connection charset
Hi. I want to write an application which will use a MySQL database. I made a basci connection and queries. Everything is ok, except viewing data from database on a website generated with php. I'm polish and using my national letters and this is problem. When i add text into database in my app written in delphi and then view it in app, everything is ok, national letter are correct. But, when i want to view this data on a website i see strange things where were national letters. Fields in database are defined i n UTF-8, website uses UTF too. I can see on website data added from delphi on...

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010
Hi. It is possible, with component RX, dxforumlibrary, InfoPower3000Pro, StringAlignGrid. Accepts communication BDE. Thank by comments. excequiel arostica wrote: >Hi. > It is possible, with component RX, dxforumlibrary, >InfoPower3000Pro, StringAlignGrid. Accepts communication BDE. > >Thank by comments. Rx is dead and sources are taken over by jcl/jvcl. I dont know about the rest of the components and i have no experiences with bde over the last 9 years. excequiel arostica wrote: > Hi. > It is possible, with component RX, dxforumlibrary,...

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010
Hello! I noticed that Embarcadero® Delphi® 2010 Version is not on the list of products on Embarcadero page. Or is it still possible to buy it? Will RAD Studio XE compile programs written in Delphi 2010 without problems.? Thanks. Am 13.09.2010 09:04, schrieb Petra Nemec: > Will RAD Studio XE compile programs written in Delphi 2010 without problems.? As always you will probably have to recreate the projects as the import is still a bit -- special. Christian Hello! Does anybody know if it is still possible to get a Delphi2010 trial version (if yes where)? ...

How to load database with 1000 jpeg images in Delphi 2010 ?
Does anyone know of an easy way to load a database with 1000 jpeg images ? Can the same be done for flash (flv files) ? Any help is always appreciated Richard Richard Caruana wrote: > Does anyone know of an easy way to load a database with 1000 jpeg images ? > Can the same be done for flash (flv files) ? What database? What data access framework are you using? Where are the jpg files? If, for instance, you have all your image files in one folder, you could loop thru them and easily load them into just about any database, creating a new record with a blob for each...

Price of upgrade from Delphi 2010 Professional to Delphi 2010 Enterprise?
It's weird, but I could not find the answer on so simple question not in Embarcadero Shop, neither by the forum search. For example, the shop info about Enterprise upgrade says: The Upgrade product is available to registered owners of 2006-2009 versions, blah-blah... So, if I'm Delphi 2010 Professional user, I even not eligible for upgrade? I have to buy a new version of Enterprise??? But if I'm Delphi 2006 Professional user, I can upgrade. Please clarify this nonsense for me. Exact question is in the subject. Thanks! Hi Dmitri, > It's weird, but I could not...

Webinar Wednesday
Embarcadero Webinar: Mastering Database Application Development with Delphi Join Embarcadero on Wednesday, April 14 for a free, one-hour webinar and learn about Delphi tools that support a wide-array of databases (Oracle®, Microsoft® SQL Server®, MySQL®, DB2, Embarcadero® InterBase® SMP, Firebird®, Sybase® ) to help developers get their job done faster and easier. Join Delphi® product manager Michael Rozlog for a live technical session and learn: + the basics of database interactions with Delphi + the various database access libraries incl...

How to: Window application with Delphi XE to access MS Access database?
I need to develop a Window application with Delphi XE to generate a form, which can display the data retrieved from an existing Microsoft Access database and update the data value in database as needed. Can someone advise me how should I get started and which implementation shall I use? Which tutorial materials can I look for? I am a new Delphi user. I called Embarcadero tech support on this subject, but got zero support from them. Thank you. Allen Allen, > I need to develop a Window application with Delphi XE to generate a form, > which can display the data retrieved fro...

"unavailable database" fishFacts demo not running Delphi 2010 Enterprise [Edit]
I tried making an Alias but not sure what name should be? It is a gdb dbDemos.gdb file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\CodeGear Shared\Data\dbdemos.gdb I tried starting 2009 Interbase server But that did not seem to help. Strange to be having such problems.Debugger does not seem to give helpful answer. Any help is appreciated Richard PS it would be nice to see youtube clip on how to make a a report with a database grid and how to print it. Also nice to see a video on how to make an installation disk for a database project? Or is Inno Setup the best option for this ? ...

Delphi 2010 professional to Delphi XE3
Hello, Sorry for this is not right place to ask this question: I have Delphi 2010 professional version, I like to upgrade to Delphi XE3 Am eligible to upgrade or no not? I like answer from Delphi sales team. I couldn’t find email to ask them. Thanks Mike Thomas <> wrote in news:506459@forums.embarcadero.com: > Hello, > > Sorry for this is not right place to ask this question: > I have Delphi 2010 professional version, I like to upgrade to Delphi > XE3 Am eligible to upgrade or no not? I like answer from Delphi > sales team. I couldn’t find emai...

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010
Hi All, Thanks in advance for your help. Below is my query, Currently I am using Delphi 2007 and i want to migrate to Delphi 2010. 1. What all things i need to take care while doing this? 2. What all third party components will get impacted? 3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause? 4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle? Hope I have post this query under correct category. If not sorry for the trouble and could you please suggest me the correct category for this? Looking forward for your response. Have a great day. Th...

Web resources about - simple database options for my Delphi 2010 application - embarcadero.delphi.database

Application - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the ...

Welfare experiment may have applications in Australia
A trial in Finland providing an obligation-free basic income could change how we think about welfare.

AVO application against Labor's Jamie Clements withdrawn
An application for an apprehended violence order against Labor powerbroker Jamie Clements - based on allegations he tried to kiss a female staffer ...

Patent application shows Apple Watch band that transforms into a case, stand and Mac accessory
An Apple patent application published today reveals an idea for an interesting variation on the magnetically-closed Milanese Loop band that allows ...

Seagate Introduces First 8 TB Hard Disk Drive for Consumer NAS Applications
Seagate Technology on Tuesday introduced its new breed of hard disk drives (HDDs) for network area storage (NAS) and RAID applications. The new ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush
A Fed rate hike pulled mortgage demand forward, and made for a steep drop-off in the past two weeks.

SURPRISE! Mizzou Sees Application Drop After Days Of Protests, Illusory Klan Hoods, Poop Swastika
SURPRISE! Mizzou Sees Application Drop After Days Of Protests, Illusory Klan Hoods, Poop Swastika

In Application To Move To Los Angeles, Rams Shit All Over City Of St. Louis
... to relocate to the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. The relocation would be effective for the 2016 NFL League Year.” The Rams’ full application ...

Seagate pushing non-PC storage for 2016 with focus on surveillance applications
... products for cloud computing, consumer electronics, surveillance and enterprise storage for 2016. Seagate expects surveillance-related applications ...

Resources last updated: 1/16/2016 2:55:40 PM