Installing Firebird, data and program on a bootable memory stick. #2

Hello.

I have found it convenient to have the firebird database program and
its database on a memory stick.
Still I have to install the firebird to the host machine and use an
Alias.conf according to which fixed disk label
the memory stick gets when inserted. (F:\MyProgram\Data\MyData.fdb and
so on.)
My two questions:

1. Is it possible to detect this fixed disk label, (F: or  G: or H:)
automatically and what syntax will do this?
2. Is it possible to make a memory stick like a virtual machine,
install the firebird, alias.conf, Myprogram, Mydatabase and boot from
it, so I don't have to wory about
installation restrictions on the host machine for the memory stick?

The environment will be Windows in all cases.
I have looked on Hiren's sites, but it looks spooky with all it's
configuration work.
(Worried about doing something wrong so I'm fucking up the host
machine. )

Thanks in advance for any advice here.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai

Since this question is FireBird specific, I think you'll have a better
time of it if you post it in some FireBird newsgroup.

Kai Inge Buseth wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have found it convenient to have the firebird database program and
> its database on a memory stick.
> Still I have to install the firebird to the host machine and use an
> Alias.conf according to which fixed disk label
> the memory stick gets when inserted. (F:\MyProgram\Data\MyData.fdb and
> so on.)
> My two questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to detect this fixed disk label, (F: or  G: or H:)
> automatically and what syntax will do this?
> 2. Is it possible to make a memory stick like a virtual machine,
> install the firebird, alias.conf, Myprogram, Mydatabase and boot from
> it, so I don't have to wory about
> installation restrictions on the host machine for the memory stick?
>
> The environment will be Windows in all cases.
> I have looked on Hiren's sites, but it looks spooky with all it's
> configuration work.
> (Worried about doing something wrong so I'm fucking up the host
> machine. )
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice here.
>
> :)
> Kai Inge

0
quinn

Installing Firebird, data and program on a bootable memory stick.
Hello. I have found it convenient to have the firebird database program and its database on a memory stick. Still I have to install the firebird to the host machine and use an Alias.conf according to which fixed disk label the memory stick gets when inserted. (F:\MyProgram\Data\MyData.fdb and so on.) My two questions: 1. Is it possible to detect this fixed disk label, (F: or G: or H:) automatically and what syntax will do this? 2. Is it possible to make a memory stick like a virtual machine, install the firebird, alias.conf, Myprogram, Mydatabase and boot from it, so I don'...

Firebird database and the program (exe file) on a memory stick?
Hello. Have anyone tried to have both data and program on a (3. party crypted) memory stick? And only the aliases.conf on the host computer so it finds the data? :) Kai Inge ...

Installing 11.2 from USB memory stick
I've just looked at the instructions 'here' (http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick) for creating a bootable USB stick for installing oS. The article mentions using the Live-CD. Does the DVD iso not work for this? -- *I**B**M* Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 1.66Ghz | Mesa DRI Intel 945GM video | 3GB Ram openSuSE 11.1 | Linux 2.6.27.29-0.1 pae i686 | KDE 4.3.3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [QUOTE=suse tpx60s] I've just looked at the instructions 'here' (http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick) for creating a ...

How to install Bugzilla 2.18 and create a new database for it while keeping the current one (Bug 2.16) and old database with it?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C5C85C.61A4D28A Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi=20 =20 I am going to install Bugzilla 2.18 for my company. However, I want to make sure that the current one we have (Bugzilla 2.16.5) is still running and the data will not be overwritten. So basically, I wonder if anyone knows how to install Bugzilla 2.18 and create a new database for it while keeping the current one (Bugzilla 2.16) and the old database running as well. =20 What ar...

MS Data Access Components 2.6 not installable #2
On a Windows 2000 Server (SP2) I get tho following error: The .Net Data OLE DB Provider(System.Data.OleDb) requires Microsoft Data Access Components(MDAC) version 2.6 or later. Version 2.53.6200.0 was found currently installed. Then I have installed: Win2000 Service Pack 4 Access 2003 OleDb Jet Provider 4.0 update 8 But no improvement. Were do I get the MDAC v2.6 ? Yours, Patrick http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6a7d785f-c2e0-471d-a33b-82ad1d514737&displaylang=en Although there are more recent versions available.Darrell Nort...

Database table differences between upgrade to 3.2.2 and fresh install
I am wondering if anyone has an explanation for this:When I do a new install of 3.2.2 the following tables are created:UserDefinedDataUserDefinedFieldsUserDefinedRowsThese did not get created when I upgraded an install from 3.1 to 3.2.2I'm not sure if I should (or can) get these to generate in the updated site.Anyone have a guess?James BrownGreat Barrington, Mass USAwww.empulsetech.com----------...

Need to bind data from 2 database tables to 2 template columns in same datagrid
Hi,I am currently doing a forum which will require me to bind data from 2 database tables to 2 template columns in a datagrid.The forum page will look something like this:Forum Title            | No. of Posts | No. of ThreadsForum Description |Heres my access database layout:forums table:forumNo (autonumber) | forumTitle | forumDescriptionforumPosts table:threadNo, postNo, threadTitle, forumNo, post (stores the actual posting), memberName, dataPostedOf course, I can always add two columns into my forums tabl...

Install Program #2
Environment: PB 10.2.1 Build 9004, Oracle 9i, InstallShield Developer 7 I am able to generate a executable in PB and execute the exe without issues. Also can generate a install setup.exe and .msi file, and install on the developer machine and execute without issues. The test machine (similar to User PC environment), I can execute setup.exe install program, it runs successful without errors. However, when I execute the .exe file or the desktop shortcut, I received the following message: Message Title: [Program Name] - Application Error Message: The application failed to init...

Call data from database and change data in database.
How can I call the value of a field from a database and then use an "if" to do different things when the user clicks on a button? Also, how can I then change that value of the field when I want to? Thanks, Sam  Could you please explain the question in detail.......     From the question, we can get the value by   OdbcConnection con = new OdbcConnection(); con.ConnectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["ConnectionStringName"].ConnectionString; con.Open(); OdbcCommand cmd = new OdbcCommand("SELECT ID FROM tabl...

Data from 2 databases
Hi All, I need to develop a report that will provide infor from two databases. This is a training center and we got two sets of training. the first is E Learning that add the results into a table called moduleresults, there is about 4,5 million records in it. The second part of the training is loaded into a table called attendance. Thraining is done on 4 different campuses and each use their own server and the naming is not the same. After an update was done I upload remotely. I prefer not adding or changing queries or procedures on the servers. The is two connection string in the web.confi...

Using Data Values from 2 tables of a database to calculate an average of the 2 values
Hi all,I had a ChemDatasbase with 2 tables (LabData & LabResults) in the Sqlexpress server of my SQL Server Management Studio Express. In my VWD 2005 Express, I used DropDownList and GridView controls in the Default.aspx of my RPD-1 website to get the following output:          RPD-1 Output                   Label1: LabData-SampleID                  &n...

Install 2.2 over 2.014?
Can I just download 2.2 and install over 2.014 or do I need to wait for the automatic update? Interviewed by CNN on 11/07/2011 17:31, Test told the world: > Can I just download 2.2 and install over 2.014 or do I need to wait for > the automatic update? Yes you can. -- MCBastos This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA. -=-=- .... Sent from my McCauley Omnicom. *Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.1 * Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla ...

3.2.2: Install Problem
Upon the initial load on a clean install, I get the following:DotNetNuke Upgrade ErrorThe Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] ) ERROR: Could not connect to database.The stored procedure 'dbo.GetPortalAliasByPortalID' doesn't exist. ???Thanks...

Web resources about - Installing Firebird, data and program on a bootable memory stick. #2 - embarcadero.delphi.database

Solar panels are lifted into place.

The builder of a south-west Sydney unit block where a young woman plunged to her death during a ferocious fire told a certifier to reduce ...

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper