Good (Free) Database Choice For Simple Local Database For Delphi 2009

For years I have used the BDE and dVolga ( no longer abailable ) but want to
learn how to use other third-party and/or Delphi 2009 vcl components for
simple databases.

For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with
graphic field support for one field what is a good choice?

What is available to do this without buying anything or possibly with a
freeware component?

Should I use DBExpress?

Is a commercial database application necessary to create the database?

Is something available from Microsoft as a free download to create and
possibly edit an Access database?

I have looked at various BDE Alternatives but allmost all of them cost $350
to $750 which is more than I want to spend for some simple applications.

I have had some sucess with TDataSource and TClientDataSet with xml but I am
afraid that the database will get too large storing the images.

Can I create a simple database with a path to an image file stored in a
field and load the image into TDBImage or ImageEN baised on the path stored
in the database foe the selected record?

Bill

Well, you could create your own database! Your example is really simple to
implement and I did so more than once in the Atari/Apple era in the
mid-1980s. But, back then it was not so simple as one had to write basic I/O
fetch/get/put routines using the BIOS api.

Reduce your problem down to pseudo routines/code to access a "DB" of fixed
length records that are read/written from a structured record format of
strings. Use a string key -- dBase did. Presuming that this is a desktop app
and single user, your task here is easier than searching the universe for a
free, multi-user, SQL db to match your requirements that you can interface
to whatever.

--
Steven S. Weston
0
Bill Miller wrote:

> For years I have used the BDE and dVolga ( no longer abailable ) but
> want to learn how to use other third-party and/or Delphi 2009 vcl
> components for simple databases.
>
> For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields
> with graphic field support for one field what is a good choice?
>
> What is available to do this without buying anything or possibly with
> a freeware component?

Try Turbo Power Flash Filler
     http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpflashfiler/

> Should I use DBExpress?

If there is a driver for your selected database and you want to support
more than one data servers then yes.

> Is something available from Microsoft as a free download to create
> and possibly edit an Access database?

You already have them installed in your delphi they are the DBGO (ADO)
components

> Can I create a simple database with a path to an image file stored in
> a field and load the image into TDBImage or ImageEN baised on the
> path stored in the database foe the selected record?

Yes. How the images are handled outside of the database is your own
responsibility though (aka you have to write some code).

regards
Yannis.

--
"Love is friendship set on fire." -- Jeremy Taylor
0
> For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with
> graphic field support for one field what is a good choice?
>
> What is available to do this without buying anything or possibly with a
> freeware component?

You could use either
1. Firebird Embedded
2. SQLite
3. TClientDataSet

> Should I use DBExpress?

If you have only one table, you may or may not need DBExpress.

> Is a commercial database application necessary to create the database?

Usually yes.

> Is something available from Microsoft as a free download to create and
> possibly edit an Access database?

try ADO/dbGO

> I have looked at various BDE Alternatives but allmost all of them cost $350
> to $750 which is more than I want to spend for some simple applications.

All above is free.

> I have had some sucess with TDataSource and TClientDataSet with xml but I am
> afraid that the database will get too large storing the images.

> Can I create a simple database with a path to an image file stored in a
> field and load the image into TDBImage or ImageEN baised on the path stored
> in the database foe the selected record?

Yes. you could.  But you have to aware that TClientDataSet is in-memory dataset.  Whatever changes you do on the rows in TClientDataSet aren't persist to your permanent storage.  You have to call SaveToFile/SavetoStream to save your data explicitly.  TClientDataSet perform generally fine for 2-3K rows of data but it will get slower if the rows increase.

--
Best regards,
Chau Chee Yang

E Stream Software Sdn Bhd
SQL Financial Accounting
0
Chee
1/14/2009 2:42:03 PM
Thanks to all.

I could not find where to find Firebird... it seems as though there are a
few different Firebirds.  I did find SQLite though.

Thanks

Bill
0
Bill
1/14/2009 9:41:10 PM
Bill Miller wrote:
> I could not find where to find Firebird... it seems as though there are a
> few different Firebirds.

http://www.firebirdsql.org
0
Loren
1/14/2009 9:51:52 PM
Bill Miller wrote:

> For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8
> string fields with graphic field support for one field
> what is a good choice?

Unless the graphics are huge TClientDataSet should work.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
Bill Miller skrev:

> For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with
> graphic field support for one field what is a good choice?

TClientDataSet and take a look at the filename property. No external
database is needed.

Anders
0
Anders
1/15/2009 1:27:01 PM
Bill Miller schreef:
> Thanks to all.
>
> I could not find where to find Firebird... it seems as though there are a
> few different Firebirds.  I did find SQLite though.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill
On the wrappers page from wiki you can find a lot of wrappers which can
be used including ours on www.aducom.com.

If you consider SQLite then the following page might be of interest:

http://www.fredshack.com/docs/sqlite.html

albert drent (aducom software)
0
Albert
1/15/2009 10:02:54 PM
> {quote:title=Bill Miller wrote:}{quote}
> For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with
> graphic field support for one field what is a good choice?

Absolute DB from www.componentace.com is a good and easy to use one.
It has a free version for any personal use.
Marius

Edited by: Marius Zemaitis on Jan 19, 2009 10:09 PM
0
Marius

copy database one database to onther database
hii want to copy one database table to onther database table using script?my database is ms-sql server 2000 Nothing is really over,untill the moment stop trying for it...Amitsp(MCTS,MCP)sqlreporting.blogspot.com You can use import/export task and DTS package created automatically by Enterprise manager or just try  select * INTO [newdatabase].dbo.[newTable] from [sourceDatabase].dbo.[sourcetable]  good luckThanksJPazgier no dear i want to this programatticallyiusing c #,source is my database in local machine and target is other computer means server Nothing is really...

database in database solution
  i have a database in the database solution. but i want to add the database from database solution to App_data  folder in solution explorer. how to do this ?Jai Ganesh. J , GSD ,IndiaPlease Mark As Answer If my reply helped you.   i am having visual studio express edition and sql management express. i have opened solution explorer for a asp.net project. I have the database solution and i have the App_data in the solution Explorer. I have added a existing sql database in the database solution and wanted the newly added  sql database in the App_data of solution...

how to access other database in this database ?

Database profile and databases
Hi all I have installed Syabse on linux and PB 6.5 on windows 2000. I am able to connect to the sybase server through dsedit utility and I am also able to connect PB development environment(database profile) to particuler database on sybase server. But when I want to see all the tables while clicking on database menu option an error messagebox displayed "Stored procedure pb60table not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether object exist.(sp_help may produce lot of output" . This error messagebox is displayed. I am not able to make any datawi...

How to upgrade database changes in remote databases and consolidated databases
Hi, I am Working in a project which uses Sybase Mobilink server as the replication system. Now I have been given a requirement to automate the upgrade databases chages in remote databases and consolidated database. I heard the about "Passthrough" but I don't know how to use it. I saw below topic in our forum PASSTHROUGH Question. How do I replicate DML ... 1.- Created a Version_Tracking Table (contains columns Unique_Record_ID, DB_Remote_ID, DB_Version, DB_Update_Time_Stamp and DB_Error_Code). 2.- The new Version_Tracking table is part of a publication that...

Coping Database objects from one database to another blank database.
I want to create a duplicate database   in sql 2000 using asp.net from a webform I created a database using CREATE DATABASE ....... But how to copy tables, views, stored procedures to newly created database from old using asp.net from webform Is there any another method to create a duplicate database with another name from existing database on same server ? yes you can do have another DB with different name and that has everything the same .....!!!Fadil Alnassar www.fadilalnassar.com | FREE Nodil Tab Controlhttp://www.mefranchising.com One way it can be done is with...

simple database options for my Delphi 2010 application
Hello, This is a very general question which I hope will provide me with some guidance on how to proceed with database design for my Delphi 2010 application. My application is currently used by a few groups of users which range from 4 to 12 users per group. The exe is 8 MB, and it is resident on a server owned by each group. Access is via Remote Desktop from client machines within the group network. Several users can be logged in to concurrent sessions of the application and that has never posed any issue. Each user within a group accesses the same database files. For my databases, ...

which database does the database refer in "Not connected to a database" of the second paragraph
I. 01/01 02:30:40. Synchronization Started I. 01/01 02:30:40. Adaptive Server Anywhere MobiLink Synchronization Version 8.0.2.4258 I. 01/01 02:30:40. I. 01/01 02:30:40. Copyright _ 1989-2002 Sybase, Inc. Portions Copyright _ 2002, iAnywhere Solutions, Inc. I. 01/01 02:30:40. All rights reserved. All unpublished rights reserved. I. 01/01 02:30:40. I. 01/01 02:30:40. This software contains confidential and trade secret information of I. 01/01 02:30:40. iAnywhere Solutions, Inc. Use, duplication or disclosure of the software and documentation I. ...

Error when transferring data from local database to hosted database
Hi,   I tried to tranfers some database tables from my local SQL Server 2000 database to a hosted database (SQL Server 2005) MSSQL Management Studio 2005. I did the same job successfully before also from my local MSSQL2000 to another hosted MSSQL2005 database. However, this time I encounter the following problem (in red below).   I opened a ticket for support from my service provider but they seemed to have no idea. Therefore, I must seek for help on this forum. Could anyone please give me some advice? Thank you very much in advance.   Regards,Kenny   Messa...

Database Workbench, where can I set a Database Restricted so only aliases can use the database?
Hello. Now I want a database to be not available unless approached by an alias. Can't find where I set this, in Database Workbench. :) Kai Inge > Now I want a database to be not available unless approached by an alias. > Can't find where I set this, in Database Workbench. This is a setting of your Firebird server installation. Check out the DatabaseAccess configuration parameter in firebird.conf. Set it to: DatabaseAccess = None -- With regards, Thomas Steinmaurer http://www.upscene.com/ Professional Tools and Services for Firebird FB TraceManag...

Replication of consolidated database to remote database; for columns added to a table in the consolidated database.
I want to find out if I add columns to a data table in the consolidated database and then extract it for a remote database. Will the added columns appear in the remote database automatically? or do I have to deploy the extracted remote database by copying it to the remote machine. Currently the consolidated database and the remote database get replicated nightly and they have connections already established. Due to established connections, will the extracted database automatically get deployed to the remote machine with the updated table? Try it, that is the best way to check ...

Database Roles in Session database
We have two websites developed in VS2005 beta 2 in our project.  I am creating the Session state database(for session state management) for those websites in a separate database server using the aspnet_regsql tool .  The issue is I run my websites under a account which has minimal permissions  . For our project databases we create database roles with required permissions and assign the portal user to those roles .So there is no problem accessing the databases we create .  Now how do I give the portal user rights to the Session state database .  .There are no prede...

1 Database or 2 Databases?
I was just wondering which way is better...   Having my membership profile Database that asp.net configuration creates for me as it's own database and creating a seporate DB for the rest of my tables, or combining all of my tables into the ASPNETDB?Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.Mickey Elliott  Using separate DBs for your app and user memberhip will allow you to implement a single login for multiple apps if you desire. So, from scalibility point of view, separate DBs is the way to go here.NAbeel--*Please mark as answer if you find this post ...

How to convert the database in a mysql database ???
I need help, i want to put asp.net portal to a mysql data base Good luck! Since the Data MAnipulation Layer is written in Stored Procedures, you will have to rewrite all of it. It probably would not be very time effective in my opinion. Well, maybe it won't be that bad. Looks like someone is already doing it. Check out their forum for more upates. http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=482434...

Web resources about - Good (Free) Database Choice For Simple Local Database For Delphi 2009 - embarcadero.delphi.database

Dodgy database exposes details of 191 million US voters
... years, there's a high chance that your personal details are now out in the wild. Security researcher Chris Vickery found a misconfigured database ...

3.3 million Hello Kitty fans' details have been exposed in a huge database leak
... week after week, the hacks, breaches and data leaks continue to roll in. The latest victim? Hello Kitty. CSO Online is reporting that a database ...

Under pressure, DNC restores Bernie Sanders campaign's access to their database - Videos - CBS News
A strange twist in the race for the democratic presidential nomination: the campaign of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has filed a complaint ...

Database configuration issues expose 191 million voter records
A misconfigured database has led to the disclosure of 191 million voter records. The database, discovered by researcher Chris Vickery, doesn't ...

Database error publishes data of 3 million Hello Kitty fans
Online researcher Chris Vickery uncovered a database this weekend containing the personal information of 3.3 million accounts associated with ...

191 Million US Voter Registration Records Leaked In Mystery Database
A huge database of 191 million US citizens is uncovered. But no one knows who carelessly left it open, whilst the FBI have been contacted.

Sanders campaign regains access to DNC voter database
Sanders campaign regains access to DNC voter database