Formatting a Date field in Firebird to dd/mm/yyyy

Hello.

By default my Firebird table has the formatting mm/dd/yyyy for date fields.
In Norway this is somewhat unfamiliar and I want to change it to be
dd/mm/yyyy from the creation of the database, so I don't have to reformatt
it by code everywhere I need it.
I have looked at the whole chain from DBGrid to TUniQuery component without
finding a property that handles this.
Have also tried to set Persistent Fields, but no property seems available
where I expected it to be.

I can see that the DDL lists it as MyDateField, Date, Default 'TODAY',
Is there some SQL formatting I can do here at creation time, or do I
overlook a property somewhere?
Using D2009, Firebird, Database WorkBench, UniDac components.

Thanks in advance.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai

On 24.06.2010 20:52, Kai Inge Buseth wrote:
> Hello.
>
> By default my Firebird table has the formatting mm/dd/yyyy for date fields.
> In Norway this is somewhat unfamiliar and I want to change it to be
> dd/mm/yyyy from the creation of the database, so I don't have to reformatt
> it by code everywhere I need it.
> I have looked at the whole chain from DBGrid to TUniQuery component without
> finding a property that handles this.
> Have also tried to set Persistent Fields, but no property seems available
> where I expected it to be.
>
> I can see that the DDL lists it as MyDateField, Date, Default 'TODAY',
> Is there some SQL formatting I can do here at creation time, or do I
> overlook a property somewhere?
> Using D2009, Firebird, Database WorkBench, UniDac components.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> :)
> Kai Inge

I don't think Firebird has a default format for displaying date fields -
this is a client "thing".  Using Firebird and DBW on my computer I see
dates as dd.mm.yyyy (having specified absolutely nothing in particular
(IIRC!), except Windows (regional) settings).

--
Aage J.
0

> I don't think Firebird has a default format for displaying date fields -
> this is a client "thing".  Using Firebird and DBW on my computer I see
> dates as dd.mm.yyyy (having specified absolutely nothing in particular
> (IIRC!), except Windows (regional) settings).
>

> --
> Aage J.

Hello Aage.

Thank you for answering me.
The date's are transferred from an old dBaseIV table into my Firebird table.
The formatting is probably from there.
My Windows settings is dd/mm/yyyy.

Perhaps I have to reformat each and every one by code.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
6/24/2010 7:31:47 PM
Firbird stores dates internally as the number of dates
since a base date. The date is converted to a month, day
and year and formatted by the client software. There is no
formatting information stored in the database. The only way
the format of the date in the dBase table could affect the
FB database is if the date is stored in the FB database as
a string, not as a DATE datatype. I do not know anything
about UniDac but most client software uses the Windows
regional settings to determine the default date format.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
"Kai Inge Buseth" <kaiib@broadpark.no> wrote in message

> By default my Firebird table has the formatting mm/dd/yyyy for date
> fields.

No it doesn't. If the field is a *date* or *datetime* field type then there
is no formatting at all in the database, it is stored as a number. It is
only the client that does formatting and the default on each client is the
regional settings for that computer. So given the same database, if two
clients have different date display settings, they will see the same date
accordingly.

If there is any component that is not displaying according to your regional
settings then either your application is *changing* the settings (look for
ShortDateFormat in code) or else the component has a bug.

Note for the same reason - regional settings - you should never try to
format a date as a string for use in an SQL statement. For that,
Firebird/Interbase have a limited set of formats it can handle it it cannot
handle the ambiguity between 'mm/dd/yyyy' and 'dd/mm/yyyy' (the former is
the standard for the database).

--
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
0
> "Kai Inge Buseth" <kaiib@broadpark.no> wrote in message
>>

> If there is any component that is not displaying according to your
> regional
> settings then either your application is *changing* the settings (look for
> ShortDateFormat in code) or else the component has a bug.
>
> Wayne Niddery (TeamB)

Thank you for a clarifying answer. It seems that this is a bug in the UniDac
Grid, because if I change the regional settings then the Grid changes to
that setting, but only for the date clicked on/ having focus. So when
scrolling through the whole table, then at last all dates are viewed
accordingly to regional settings.

The real problem is that when I close down and restart the program, it's
back to wrong setting and I have to repeat the peculiar procedure to get
each and every date to view the right setting.
So it seems that I have to address UniDac for this matter.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
6/25/2010 4:43:39 AM
"Bill Todd" <no@no.com> skrev i melding
.. The date is converted to a month, day
> and year and formatted by the client software. There is no
> formatting information stored in the database. The only way
> the format of the date in the dBase table could affect the
> FB database is if the date is stored in the FB database as
> a string, not as a DATE datatype. I do not know anything
> about UniDac but most client software uses the Windows
> regional settings to determine the default date format.
>
> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)

Thank you, Bill.
I have learned a lot from this case, but it probably is the UniDac component
that is tricking me here.
They may have a solution when I contact them.
Forgot to mention that I use Win7, perhaps the potentially bug have
something to do with that environment.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
6/25/2010 4:51:30 AM
"Wayne Niddery" <wniddery@chaffrogers.com> skrev i melding
> "Kai Inge Buseth" <kaiib@broadpark.no> wrote in message
>>

> If there is any component that is not displaying according to your
> regional
> settings then either your application is *changing* the settings (look for
> ShortDateFormat in code) or else the component has a bug.
> Wayne Niddery (TeamB)

Thanks again Wayne.
There was no ShortDateFormat in my code, so where this setting 'm/d/yyyy' is
coming from I don't know.

Then I suddenly realized that you provided me with the solution:
why not use that function in code to override the mysterious setting?

Now it runs like a dream.
Delphi is wonderful, and you all out there too :-)

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
6/25/2010 9:34:23 AM
"Of  course, the best solution have been if I could retrieve the regional
settings from Windows
and force this into the ShortDateFormat function, but I don't know how to do
this.
Can anyone provide me with the syntax for this?

> :)
> Kai Inge
0
Kai
6/25/2010 9:38:07 AM
Kai Inge Buseth wrote:
> "Of  course, the best solution have been if I could retrieve the regional
> settings from Windows
> and force this into the ShortDateFormat function, but I don't know how to do
> this.
> Can anyone provide me with the syntax for this?
>
>> :)
>> Kai Inge

This looks promising.
http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0181.html

Mike
0
Mike
6/25/2010 12:16:19 PM
"Mike Reublin" <nf4l_NO_SPAM@nf4l.com> skrev i melding
> Kai Inge Buseth wrote:
>> "Of  course, the best solution have been if I could retrieve the regional
>> settings from Windows
>
> This looks promising.
> http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0181.html
>
> Mike

Yes, it did, but I have no Clue how to use it. Where and when to use the
numbers:
Say ShortDateFormat 33 and then 1 for D M Yr and 36 and 1 for Full century.
Confusing, but thanks anyway. I will look into it.

CONSTANT long LOCALE_SSHORTDATE = 31       '  short date format string
CONSTANT long LOCALE_SLONGDATE = 32        '  long date format string
CONSTANT long LOCALE_STIMEFORMAT = 4099    '  time format string
CONSTANT long LOCALE_IDATE = 33            '  short date format, 0 M-D-Y,1
D-M-Yr,2 Y-M-D
CONSTANT long LOCALE_ILDATE = 34           '  long date format, 0 M-D-Y,1
D-M-Y,2 Y-M-D
CONSTANT long LOCALE_ITIME = 35            '  time format, 0 AM/PM 12-hr
format, 1 24-hr format
CONSTANT long LOCALE_ICENTURY = 36         '  Use full 4-digit century, 0
Two digit.1 Full century
CONSTANT long LOCALE_ITLZERO = 37          '  leading zeros in time field, 0
No , 1 yes
CONSTANT long LOCALE_IDAYLZERO = 38        '  leading zeros in day field, 0
No , 1 yes
CONSTANT long LOCALE_IMONLZERO = 39        '  leading zeros in month field,
0 No , 1 yes

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
6/25/2010 8:08:22 PM
> {quote:title=Kai Inge Buseth wrote:}{quote}
> "Of  course, the best solution have been if I could retrieve the regional
> settings from Windows
> and force this into the ShortDateFormat function, but I don't know how to do
> this.

ShortDateFormat is not a function. It's a global variable defined in the SysUtils unit (D2007+), and IIRC in the System unit in earlier versions of Delphi. It's initialized when the runtime is started with whatever the Windows regional short date format (LOCALE_SSHORTDATE) is set to automatically.

> Can anyone provide me with the syntax for this?

{code}
ShortDateFormat := 'dd/mm/yy';
{code}

See the Delphi help file topic "ShortDateFormat" for more information.

Edited by: Ken White on Jun 25, 2010 4:22 PM
0
Ken
6/25/2010 8:22:46 PM
<Ken White> skrev i melding news:254885@forums.embarcadero.com...

>> Can anyone provide me with the syntax for this?
>
> {code}
> ShortDateFormat := 'dd/mm/yy';
> {code}
>
> See the Delphi help file topic "ShortDateFormat" for more information.
>
> Edited by: Ken White on Jun 25, 2010 4:22 PM

Thank you.
This part I managed, but was unsure on retrieving the regional settings to
set the ShortDateFormat accordingly in the program.
(For some reason my program does not follow the regional setting from start
and I have to force it to by setting ShortDateFormat explicit.)
Thanks anyway.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
6/25/2010 8:31:19 PM
Kai Inge Buseth wrote:

> This part I managed, but was unsure on retrieving the regional
> settings to set the ShortDateFormat accordingly in the program.

SysUtils.GetLocaleFormatSettings()

ain
0
Ain
6/25/2010 9:23:56 PM
> SysUtils.GetLocaleFormatSettings()
>

> ain

Thank you.

I'm getting closer, but the help file did not provide a syntax example on
this, so I get stuck in missing parameters.

It seemes that TFormatSettings is type of Record and as such should be able
to handle this syntax:

TFormatSettings() := GetLocaleFormatSettings()

but of course it's not that simple :-)

Do you have a syntax example on this one?

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
6/26/2010 2:35:20 AM
"Kai Inge Buseth" <kaiib@broadpark.no> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> By default my Firebird table has the formatting mm/dd/yyyy for date
> fields.
> In Norway this is somewhat unfamiliar and I want to change it to be
> dd/mm/yyyy from the creation of the database, so I don't have to reformatt
> it by code everywhere I need it.
> I have looked at the whole chain from DBGrid to TUniQuery component
> without finding a property that handles this.
> Have also tried to set Persistent Fields, but no property seems available
> where I expected it to be.
>
> I can see that the DDL lists it as MyDateField, Date, Default 'TODAY',
> Is there some SQL formatting I can do here at creation time, or do I
> overlook a property somewhere?
> Using D2009, Firebird, Database WorkBench, UniDac components.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> :)
> Kai Inge

Kai,

Your dates will be stored in FB as numbers without any formatting applied.
You may just be seeing dates in that format depending on whatever you use to
access the database for design & maintenance purposes (e.g. FlameRobin or
whatever you use)

When it comes to displaying dates in your Delphi application you can do 2
things (and I'm sure the CR grid you're using will respect these).

1: Do nothing in the way of trying to format them and allow whatever short
date format is set up on the PC (via regional settings or whatever it's
called) to apply throughout. This is preferable since whoever uses it will
see the dates in a format familiar to themselves. You should be able to
verify this by changing your own settings and re-starting your application.
The formats will not persist once you change back to your previous regional
setting, it will use whatever was in force when the application started.
Often, if you change formats without closing and re-starting your
application, you may see some dates in one format and some in another.

2: If for some reason you need to apply a certain fixed format (regardless
of your users preference :-) ) you can apply this by setting the
DisplayFormat property for the fields you want changed. Either define
persistent fields and set the DisplayFormat to mm/dd/yyyy directly or,
without persistent fields & after opening the dataset write in code:

  TDateField(MyTable.FieldByName('MY_DATE_FIELD')).DisplayFormat :=
'dd-mm-yyyy';

You need the cast since the plain TField returned does not have the
DisplayFormat property.

3. (I lied above) A 3rd alternative, if it affects all tables with lots of
date fields you can iterate the fields every time you open any table: e.g.

In the AfterOpen event...

SetDateFormats(DataSet);

procedure TForm3.SetDateFormats(DataSet: TDataSet);
  var
    I: Integer;
begin
  for I := 0 to Pred(DataSet.FieldCount) do
  begin
    if DataSet.Fields[I].DataType = ftDate then
      TDateField(DataSet.Fields[I]).DisplayFormat := 'dd/mm/yyyy';
  end;
end;

Regards, Paul.
0
Paul
6/26/2010 7:20:54 AM
Kai Inge Buseth wrote:

> I'm getting closer, but the help file did not provide a syntax
> example on this, so I get stuck in missing parameters.

Somewhere on the Embarcadero website they have a latest documentation
as wiki, you could use it to check for topics which aren't in your
local help.

> Do you have a syntax example on this one?

Quote from D2010 help:

procedure GetLocaleFormatSettings(LCID: Integer; var FormatSettings:
TFormatSettings);
GetLocaleFormatSettings populates FormatSettings based on the Windows
locale ID specified in LCID.

ain
0
Ain
6/26/2010 9:10:07 AM
Paul Hughes wrote:

> When it comes to displaying dates in your Delphi application you can
> do 2 things (and I'm sure the CR grid you're using will respect
> these).
>
> 1: Do nothing in the way of trying to format them and allow whatever
> short date format is set up on the PC (via regional settings or
> whatever it's called) to apply throughout. This is preferable since
> whoever uses it will see the dates in a format familiar to
> themselves. You should be able to verify this by changing your own
> settings and re-starting your application. The formats will not
> persist once you change back to your previous regional setting, it
> will use whatever was in force when the application started. Often,
> if you change formats without closing and re-starting your
> application, you may see some dates in one format and some in another.

Seting Application.UpdateFormatSettings to False should prevent this.

And SysUtils.GetFormatSettings call could be used to force globals back
to the values chosen in regional settings.

ain
0
Ain
6/26/2010 9:10:08 AM
Thanks to all you supporting guys on this one.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai

How to convert the date from UK format dd/mm/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy before sending it to database
I am having a problem with the dates. my application will be used in USA and also in UK. if the date format is like mm/dd/yyyy then i don't have no problem passing it to stored proc to update or insert, but if i pass the date in UK format dd/mm/yyyy i am getting the following error: (String not recognized as date and time) I am getting the following:  txtNeedDate.PostedDate = "31/01/2007"  i want to use a condition, if the date format is in UK then change it to "01/31/2007" before i pass it to database via storted proc. Please does any one know how i can convert the above dat...

save date in database n retrieve with format dd\mm\yyyy not mm\dd\yyyy display to main.aspx
I need input from user using text box which is like this dd mm yyyy and how can i manipulate so that i can save in db with default format mm dd yyyy? HI, you can use the format method of the textbox and specify the date format in that. I havent tried but it should work. Have a Great DayRegardsRamu can u provide me with example so that i can see clearly what ur point...tq Hi, If possible ask the user to enter the date in dd-mmm-yyyy fromat so that, there won't be any confusion between month and date when you save your record in db. otherwise, you can use format functi...

date format being changed from mm/dd/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy hr:mm am
Hello All,i am importing a excel sheet into a sql database. in the excel sheet i have column whose date format is mm/dd/yyyy (07/16/2008). but when ever i import the sheet into the database, its automatically getting changed to 07/16/2008 12:00 am. any idea how i can retain the excel format. any help would be highly appreciated.Thanks  That is the way in SQL Server's datetime data type before we have SQL Server 2008 available. You can format the datetime to remove the time part in your query or format it from client side. Let us know if you need more help.Limno Hello Sir,can you...

Date Format (YYYY/MM/DD) From (MM/DD/YYYY)
I am very new to asp.net (started this week)  I have the following line FormatDateTime(dsEdit.FieldValue("BDateStart", Container),2) which is currently displaying the date as MM/DD/YYYY when I need YYYY/MM/DD to suit my database (MySQL)  How can I go about formatting the date to suit my needs?  Thankyou With FormatDateTimeyou have a limited range of formatting options see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a912f2a0(VS.80).aspxChange FormatDateTime(dsEdit.FieldValue("BDateStart", Container),2)to dsEdit.FieldValue("BDateStart", Container).ToString("yyyy/MM/dd") &...

Formatting the Date from dd/mm/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy
Hi,  I have a textbox in which the date is coming from a javascript calendar in dd/m/yyyy format but i want to change that into mm/dd/yyyy. I am trying to do like this DateTime dtProjectStartDate=Convert.ToDateTime(uxdate.Text);Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("en-US"); dtProjectStartDate = Convert.ToDateTime(dtProjectStartDate); but it is giving me the error "string was not recognised as a valid datetime. " and i have tried this also but getting the same error. Please help me.DateTime.ParseExact(uxdate.Text...

Convert Date Format from mm/dd/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy
Hi,In my Web application I need to show the date in dd/mm/yyyy format to the user. In my application i am showing the date in various forms e.g. In GridView, In dataGrid, In combo, In textBox etc.how will it be possible? ThanksPriyank Kansal  dear,try this, String.Format("{0:yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss}", Now)it will return string like "2007-05-01 12:30:01" set format as per your need.  regards,Niraj sikotara.<!-- Search before you scramble. --!> actually pretty, I am using hundreds of pages in my web application. Now it is very difficult to change the format of ea...

How To Convert dd/mm/yyyy date into mm/dd/yyyy format
Hi My Application recieves date in dd/mm/yyyy format.But I want to convert into dd/mm/yyyy format.If is there any format for that please help me.Debabrata Pattanaik DateTime datenow = DateTime.Now;DateTime convertdate = Convert.ToDateTime(datenow.ToString("mm/dd/yyyy"));Regards,Vinz"Code, Beer and Music" that's my way of being a programmer!How to get your Forum Question Answered | Blog | CodeASP.NET now.toString("mm/dd/yyyy")  Hi ,Another way is :-   now.tostring("d");Go to page and change culture property of the page to en-us.Not b...

Daterange Picker Calendar control Without clicking Start Date and End Date Separately ( dd/mm/yyyy-dd/mm/yyyy format
Hello all,  Plz Suggest me the Daterange Picker Calendar control . so that i can select a range of date (after clicking on button javascipt calendar will be executed) and date will appear in the format dd/mm/yyyy-dd/mm/yyyy in listbox (like without cliking for Start Date and End Date Separately)  Swati Jain   Check this:http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/DateRangePicker.asp NC... Some of the third party Calendar controls allow multiple selections. If they support the ability to just click on the start and then end dates to form a range, or can limit the u...

How to change the format of Date from dd/MM/yyyy -> yyyy/MM/dd
The Code is-protected void btnSave_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) {DataSet ds = new DataSet();SqlDataAdapter adp = new SqlDataAdapter("select max(Int_MemberShipNo) as mem_no from M_CA", con); adp.Fill(ds);if (ds.Tables[0].Rows[0][0].ToString() == "") { mem_no = 1; } else {mem_no = Convert.ToInt16(ds.Tables[0].Rows[0][0]) + 1;Session["mem_no"]=mem_no.ToString(); } DateTime dt_dob = Convert.ToDateTime(txtDOB.Text); DateTime dt_dom = Convert.ToDateTime(txtDOM.Text);if (RadioButtonList1.SelectedItem.Text == "Home") {i = "H"; ...

How to convert Date format from dd/MM/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy in asp.net
Hi,          I am using a text box which captures the date from the datepicker and displays in dd/MM/yyyy format in asp.net using C# When i try to pass this text box value into the DatTime variable i am getting the error as "String was not recognized as a valid DateTime. "   my code goes like this DateTime dt; dt=DateTime.Parse(TextBox1.Text); Response.Write(dt);   i tried to use Conver.ToDateTime() function but the same error is croping up..   Can any one plz suggest me on this.....Thnks in advancePradeep ...

US date format dd/mm/yyyy gets converted to mm/dd/yyyy
Dear All,I got an sql query that I pass to sql server as a string. I pass a date as a string in the query and compare it to a date in a table.The trouble is somewhere in the process I get ‘01/04/2006’ turned into ‘04/01/2006’ I do understand mm/dd/yyyy is the US date format. The problem is I pass in dd/mm/yyyy and I compare it to dd/mm/yyyy, however it is dd/mm/yyyy gets compared to mm/dd/yyyy for some reason.I tried the 3 variations below, but none works ok, suggesting that the conversion takes place somewhere #in between’. Can someone tell me how to solve this?<code>Dim myDat...

date format dd/mm/yyyy in aspx pages but mm/dd/yyyy in access db
I'm working with asp.net 2.0 and having the problem that my date/time objects are stored in american format (mm/dd/yyyy) in my access database, but on my page they are in european format (dd/mm/yyyy).How do i get the dates in my database to be in european format.The code follows, the problem is that when i select a date in my calender obj and press the button1, the date is forwarded to the SqlDataSource InsertCommand. (in debug mode i can see that the date that is passed to the SqlDataSource is still in the correct format).In my database i can see that the date has gone from 01/10/2005 to 10...

How to change date format from mm/dd/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy in sql server 2005 express edition
I have a page where i m showing some data and date which is in mm/dd/yy format in detail view,but i want to show date in dd/mm/yy format. I tried but it didn't work.What should i do. Please help me out. ThanksWeb DeveloperPune,India Hi here is the sample query. SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(20), GETDATE(), 103)Hope this will work.  Valentine Day Special SongASP.NET ListView Control  I don't think you need to change the representation of dates in Sql Server, but only how they are presented in the DetailsView.  For that you can use a dataformatstring of "{0:...

date got stored in mm/dd/yyyyy format in stead of dd/mm/yyyy
dear all, my problem is related to date format (asp.net). User enters date in "dd/mm/yyyy" format along with other data, and after that, the data is stored in mdf file using the following asp.net coding.  dim strsql1 as string="insert into entrydet values (" & lastid & ", #" & dt & "#, #" & tm & "#, '" & fname & "','" & lname & "','" & vill & "','" & po & "','" & pur & "')"           '[where dt represents the date variable in "dd/mm/yyyy" format]objcmd1=new oledbcommand(strs...

Web resources about - Formatting a Date field in Firebird to dd/mm/yyyy - embarcadero.delphi.database

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Text formatting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The most common use of boldface is to highlight the article title, and often synonyms, in the lead section (first paragraph). This is done for ...

Formatting « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers ...
Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Courts

Android Studio 1.2 Reaches Beta, Adds Built-In Decompiler, Inline Debugger Variables, Smarter Formatting ...
When Android Studio v1.1 entered the Stable channel, about 6 weeks ago, the Dev Tools team gave word that v1.2 was already well underway and ...

TextExpander 2.0 Brings Rich Text Formatting, Fill-In Snippets And More
TextExpander has finally received its big 2.0 update.

WordEver HD - Text Editor with Redesigned Keyboard and MarkDown syntax & formatting highlight
Holen Sie sich „WordEver HD - Text Editor with Redesigned Keyboard and MarkDown syntax & formatting highlight“ im App Store. Sehen Sie sich Screenshots, ...

Macs are vulnerable to Thunderstrike 2 firmware malware that survives formatting
... Thursday, researchers will demonstrate that not only can Macs be remotely infected with malware, but that this malware can survive a user formatting ...

16 Tips on Blog Writing and Formatting
... again. My point is that you ought to take advice with a grain of salt. And that applies to this post as well. Writing blog posts and formatting ...

Select Text With Similar Formatting in Google Docs
Google Docs added a cool new feature that lets you select all the text with similar formatting, so you can quickly make some changes. It's like ...