Delphi + dbGo +firebird + UTF8

Hi,
I have an application made with Delphi 2009 (same problem also on BDS2006)
that
works in multilanguage.

I have a FireBird 2 database
From delphi I connect to database using dbGo (ADOConnection) on Firebird
ODBC.

I'm unable to read or write Polish (same also with russian or other
different from ISO8859_1) characters.
If I write "leznc" I read "leznc" and so on.

Database is UTF8 and I can read and write in Polish using directly database
tools or connecting
to database from delphi using FIBPlus.

What's the problem? DbGo or the Firebird ODBC?

I need to migrate to multilanguage a very big application, that is using
DbGo, I don't want to change all
my database components to FIBPlus or others direct connectors.

Help me!!

Claudio Basso
Intercom Solutions
http://www.intercomsolutions.it
0
Claudio

Claudio Basso wrote:

> What's the problem? DbGo or the Firebird ODBC?

	Those are hardly the only two possibilities, but both of them are at
least easy to test in isolation.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/

--

"Claudio Basso" <cbasso@intercomsolutions.it> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi,
> I have an application made with Delphi 2009 (same problem also on BDS2006)
> that
> works in multilanguage.
>
> I have a FireBird 2 database
> From delphi I connect to database using dbGo (ADOConnection) on Firebird
> ODBC.
>
> I'm unable to read or write Polish (same also with russian or other
> different from ISO8859_1) characters.
> If I write "leznc" I read "leznc" and so on.
>
> Database is UTF8 and I can read and write in Polish using directly
> database
> tools or connecting
> to database from delphi using FIBPlus.
>
> What's the problem? DbGo or the Firebird ODBC?
>
> I need to migrate to multilanguage a very big application, that is using
> DbGo, I don't want to change all
> my database components to FIBPlus or others direct connectors.
>
> Help me!!
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>

> Claudio Basso
> Intercom Solutions
> http://www.intercomsolutions.it
0
Claudio
4/30/2009 5:58:21 PM
I've not familiar with the FireBird ODBC driver, but I would guess it to
be like the InterBase Data Direct ODBC driver - which does not do
Unicode. Back in the EasySoft days, the standard EasySoft driver worked
the same. However, they made another driver they had for sale separately
which supported Unicode. You will probably need something like it. Not
sure if anything like this is available for FireBird. On the InterBase
side, it is not available unless you could come up with the old EasySoft
unicode ODBC driver.

Claudio Basso wrote:
> I've made some tests, and same delphi components with mysql odbc works fine.
> So the problem is on FireBird ODBC.
> Anyone is connecting to firebird odbc with delphi and non standard charset??

0
quinn
4/30/2009 6:57:58 PM
"Claudio Basso" <cbasso@intercomsolutions.it> wrote in message
> I've made some tests, and same delphi components with mysql odbc works
> fine.
> So the problem is on FireBird ODBC.
> Anyone is connecting to firebird odbc with delphi and non standard
> charset??

You could try IBProvider which works with D2009 and the dbGo components.
I've been trying it recently with FB 2.5 and it is pretty fast. It supports
unicode too.

Regards, Paul.
0
Paul

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Firebird UTF8 Blob Text and Delphi 2010 TMemo
Just converted a Firebird database from default charset 'NONE' to 'UTF8'. Got text out of blob fields and into TMemo components just fine using the D2007 version of my app when the charset was 'NONE', but now, in the D2010 app, I'm seeing square block characters in my TMemo components. I had been loading the blob text into a TStringList, then assigning TStringList.text to TMemo.text. Whats the correct way to get text from a UTF8 blob field to a Delphi 2010 TMemo? On 6/9/2010 11:43 AM, Gary Mrenak wrote: > Just converted a Firebird database from...

TDBXError malformed string (Delphi 2010, Firebird, UTF8)
Currently doing some tests with Delphi 2010 trial and firebird with the express driver from http://groups.google.com/group/dbxfirebird/ I ran into the following problem at first : I had a username and a password that is encrypted from inside my applicatio with AES. Encrypting, decrypting works fine. The moment i sent it to the database it got screwed up since it was not in UTF8. I created a new database UTF8, problem fixed. But the next problem came up. Whenever i try to save an empty string into a field i get TDBXError malformed string. When there is 1 character in my string everyt...

Delphi 2010 dbexpress firebird BLOB problem with UTF8
I have Delphi 2010 Enterprise and I am accessing a firebird database with UTF8 as default character set. I have added SQLConnection parameter to use UTF8: SqlConnection1.Params.Add('servercharset=UTF8'); I am able to read VarChar fields correctly. When I read BLOBs I get garbage such as this: 牦浯琠敨攠楤潴獲漠⁦桴⁥流牥 even though I know there is text in English. I have tried this: TWideMemoField(DataSet.FieldByName('NOTES')).AsString and this: TWideMemoField(DataSet.FieldByName('NOTES')).AsWideString and this: DataSet.FieldByName('NOTES').AsString with the s...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM

Delphi and virus, or virus and Delphi.

Web resources about - Delphi + dbGo +firebird + UTF8 - embarcadero.delphi.database