Database Connectivity in Delphi Pro Version

Can someone clarify what DB I can connect to out of the box with Delphi Pro (Legally that is)?

I think I have been headed down a wrong path for a while, I was under the impression the DB drivers were only included with the pro version for development only.

Now it is my understanding that I can connect to Embedded SQL Lite on a local PC but not via a server. Is this correct?

What DBs can I connect to on a local PC using native Delphi drivers?

And am I allowed to deploy an application that uses a DB on a DB server?

Thanks
Tim C.
0
tim

"tim crouse" wrote in message news:588116@forums.embarcadero.com...
> Can someone clarify what DB I can connect to out of the box with Delphi
> Pro (Legally that is)?
>
> I think I have been headed down a wrong path for a while, I was under the
> impression the DB drivers were only included with the pro version for
> development only.
>
> Now it is my understanding that I can connect to Embedded SQL Lite on a
> local PC but not via a server. Is this correct?
>
> What DBs can I connect to on a local PC using native Delphi drivers?
>
> And am I allowed to deploy an application that uses a DB on a DB server?

The feature matrix is
http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/delphi-feature-matrix

The limitation is on dbExpress - Pro only comes with local connectivity to a
few databases.

But Pro still comes with the ADO (dbGo) and Interbase Express (IBX)
components, and with those you can connect to anything, local or server,
that ADO can talk to, and you can connect to server installations of
Interbase.

It also seems to include the Cloud components so you can connect to MS Azure
or Amazon EC2, etc.

FireDac components are available to Pro as an add-on purchase.

--
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
"You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?
tim crouse wrote:
> Can someone clarify what DB I can connect to out of the box with Delphi Pro (Legally that is)?
>
> I think I have been headed down a wrong path for a while, I was under the impression the DB drivers were only included with the pro version for development only.
>
> Now it is my understanding that I can connect to Embedded SQL Lite on a local PC but not via a server. Is this correct?
>
> What DBs can I connect to on a local PC using native Delphi drivers?
>
> And am I allowed to deploy an application that uses a DB on a DB server?
>
> Thanks
> Tim C.

No, unless you purchase the C/S add-on pack dbexpress is licensed to only
databases local to the machine the app is installed on.  From the license agreement

"ADDITIONAL LICENSE TERMS APPLICABLE TO RAD STUDIO, DELPHI AND C++BUILDER,
PROFESSIONAL, PROFESSIONAL WITH MOBILE AND PROFESSIONAL ACADEMIC EDITIONS

In the event Licensee has obtained a RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder
Professional,Professional with Mobile or Professional Academic product license
then the following terms apply.

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Licensor grants to
Licensee as the licensed user of the Product the limited right to use that
portion of the Product identified as "dbExpress", in executable form only, to
access a local database installed on the same machine as the Work.  Licensee may
not use that portion of the Product identified as "dbExpress" in association
with a database located on a different machine other than the machine on which
the Works are installed.
"

dbExptress is not only the drivers, but all the components on the dbExpress
pallet (TSQLConnection et al).  So if you buy third party drivers you still may
only use them with a machine local database.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)

presumably the dbExpress limitation means one may not use the Embarcadero
dbExpress driver but one can use a third party dbExpress driver?

Bruce

> "tim crouse" wrote in message news:588116@forums.embarcadero.com...
>
>> Can someone clarify what DB I can connect to out of the box with
>> Delphi Pro (Legally that is)?
>>
>> I think I have been headed down a wrong path for a while, I was under
>> the impression the DB drivers were only included with the pro version
>> for development only.
>>
>> Now it is my understanding that I can connect to Embedded SQL Lite on
>> a local PC but not via a server. Is this correct?
>>
>> What DBs can I connect to on a local PC using native Delphi drivers?
>>
>> And am I allowed to deploy an application that uses a DB on a DB
>> server?
>>
> The feature matrix is
> http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/delphi-feature-matrix
>
> The limitation is on dbExpress - Pro only comes with local
> connectivity to a few databases.
>
> But Pro still comes with the ADO (dbGo) and Interbase Express (IBX)
> components, and with those you can connect to anything, local or
> server, that ADO can talk to, and you can connect to server
> installations of Interbase.
>
> It also seems to include the Cloud components so you can connect to MS
> Azure or Amazon EC2, etc.
>
> FireDac components are available to Pro as an add-on purchase.

0
Bruce
6/17/2013 9:06:17 AM
"Bruce Eglington" <bruce.eglington@usask.ca> wrote in message

> presumably the dbExpress limitation means one may not use the Embarcadero
> dbExpress driver but one can use a third party dbExpress driver?

I'm not sure if there is a technical prevention or not - i.e. whether there
is something not provided in Pro that is needed for other drivers to work -
but I would read the license carefully, I expect this is not allowed in the
Pro license.

--
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
"You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?
Medicine." - Tim Minchin
0
Wayne
6/17/2013 3:06:16 PM
Bruce Eglington wrote:
> Hello Wayne,
>
> presumably the dbExpress limitation means one may not use the Embarcadero
> dbExpress driver but one can use a third party dbExpress driver?

No it does not.  The limitation is on dbExpress, not the drivers only.  So if
you use TSQLConnection in pro you are limited by the license to only connect
locally, no matter whose driver you are using.  It is dbExpress as a whole that
has that license restriction, not jsut the drivers.  This is not new, been like
this for 6+ years now.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)

Delphi XE2 database connection demo?
hello, I have just come across Delphi XE2 for IOS mobile development, and i wanted to know if there are any examples to connect to mysql database on the cloud? This i example if for SQLite (http://blogs.devart.com/dac/index.php/how-to-develop-ios-database-applications-in-delphi-xe2-using-devart-data-access-components.html) i tried searching on the net but i could not find any example can any tell me where can i get some examples for using mysql(cloud) with Ios? Le 07/12/12 09:59, Presley Dias a écrit : > I have just come across Delphi XE2 for IOS mobile development, and i w...

Good (Free) Database Choice For Simple Local Database For Delphi 2009
For years I have used the BDE and dVolga ( no longer abailable ) but want to learn how to use other third-party and/or Delphi 2009 vcl components for simple databases. For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with graphic field support for one field what is a good choice? What is available to do this without buying anything or possibly with a freeware component? Should I use DBExpress? Is a commercial database application necessary to create the database? Is something available from Microsoft as a free download to create and possibly edit a...

Connection String for ADO Database in delphi prism
Hi, I want to connect to a database with ADO and aspx. from VB code what is the equivalent in delphi prism ? .... Dim MyReader as sqldatareader Dim MyConnection as sqlconnection = new sqlconnection() myConnection.connectionstring = configurationmanager.connectionstrings("DSN_MYDB").connectionstring Dim mycommand as sqlcommand = new sqlcommand() mycommand.commandtext="select * from mytable" mycommand.commandtype = commandtype.text mycommand.connection = myconnection mycommand.connection.open() Myreader=mycommand.executereader(commandbehavior.closeconnec...

Open client app with Delphi
I am very new to SQL Anywhere and to client server in general. I am developing an app in delphi which has a native driver for Sybase SQL Anywhere. I have created a database file with some tables in it but when I try to connect to it I get this error: 'vendor initialization failed'. Does anyone know what is wrong? I think it has something to do with configuring the interfaces file. I installed the 'personal server' option to my pc when I installed SQL Anywhere as I can't put it on the server yet as we are currently in the process of setting up a new server. The...

mysql database, delphi 2010 and connection charset
Hi. I want to write an application which will use a MySQL database. I made a basci connection and queries. Everything is ok, except viewing data from database on a website generated with php. I'm polish and using my national letters and this is problem. When i add text into database in my app written in delphi and then view it in app, everything is ok, national letter are correct. But, when i want to view this data on a website i see strange things where were national letters. Fields in database are defined i n UTF-8, website uses UTF too. I can see on website data added from delphi on...

How To Connect to a Database from Delphi XE2? ( newbie ) [Edit]
Hi all! I'm thinking on using Firebird or Microsoft SQL Server Express - I want a free database - to create a database application. How do I connect the database from Delphi XE2? I was looking on the Tool Palette, and I've found "dbExpress" and "dbGo" ( I think that this last one if for ADO connection ... ). What is the diference between "dbExpress" and an ADO connection? What is the best? Do I need third-party components to connect to Firebird or Microsoft SQL Server Express, from Delphi XE2? Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards, Jo...

Delphi XE2
friends, Is there any way to fix the delphi connecting to the database only through IPv4, I am using the component of Devart ODAC. thank you Daniel Junior wrote: > friends, > > Is there any way to fix the delphi connecting to the database only through IPv4, I am using the component of Devart ODAC. > > thank you > If you a driver from Devart, you should contact them. Perhaps someone else here has used it though. ...

Connecting to a MS Access database in Delphi XE5?
Does anyone have a simple code example for connecting to an Access database from a VCL Forms application using XE5? Originally, we used the dbExpress Open ODBC driver in XE2 but that no longer works. The DbxXXDrv unit references Dbx34Drv, which in turn references DBXMetaDataCommand, which does not exist in my XE5 Enterprise install. So I thought I'd try FireDAC, as there is Connect to Microsoft Access Database (FireDAC) topic in the docwiki. I dropped a TFDPhysMSAccessDriverLink onto a form, set the DriverID to MSAcc and the ODBCDriver to MS Access (*.mdb), but could not find the Dat...

Database File Version vs Database Engine Version
Hi. I was recently visiting a customer site and noticed, from Sybase Central, that the customer's database file displayed a 5.x version number, even though the ASA engine was version 7.0.2. This customer is running our pb6.5 / ASA 7 application under Citrix and is having problems which are not appearing at other customer sites. I would like to rule-out any possibility of these problems being generated by our application. Has anyone eliminated problems by upgrading the database file to the same version as the database engine? Does Sybase recommend that the file be kept &quo...

which database does the database refer in "Not connected to a database" of the second paragraph
I. 01/01 02:30:40. Synchronization Started I. 01/01 02:30:40. Adaptive Server Anywhere MobiLink Synchronization Version 8.0.2.4258 I. 01/01 02:30:40. I. 01/01 02:30:40. Copyright _ 1989-2002 Sybase, Inc. Portions Copyright _ 2002, iAnywhere Solutions, Inc. I. 01/01 02:30:40. All rights reserved. All unpublished rights reserved. I. 01/01 02:30:40. I. 01/01 02:30:40. This software contains confidential and trade secret information of I. 01/01 02:30:40. iAnywhere Solutions, Inc. Use, duplication or disclosure of the software and documentation I. ...

SqlConnection not connect to database in Delphi XE 2(mysql).
SqlConnection not connect to database in Delphi XE 2(mysql). Note: The machine was installed with Delphi 2007. error: First chance exception at $7576D36F. Exception class TDBXError with message 'DBX Error: Driver could not be properly initialized. Client library may be missing, not installed properly, of the wrong version, or the driver may be missing from the system path.'. Process Project6.exe (5732) Help? Aldnet Brasil wrote: > SqlConnection not connect to database in Delphi XE 2(mysql). > Note: The machine was installed with Delphi 2007. > error: > First...

How do to connect database server with Delphi 7 and ASA dbexpress driver.
Hi. How do to connect database server? I used Borland Delphi, version 7 with driver dbExpress and ASA version 9. I only Connected in localhost. thank you It's been a while, but I believe there is a ConnectString property in the ASA dbExpress connection object. You can set the ConnectionString property when you develop your application using the IDE, or you can set it in code. Your ConnectionString can either be something like: uid=xxx;pwd=xxx;dsn=odbc_dsn_name or uid=xxx;pwd=xxx;links=tcpip(host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx);eng=xxxxxx In the first case, your ODBC DSN ...

How can I change my connection to a different database...it is not connecting to the database I created.
My data is connected to the ASPNETDB.MDF database. Is this a must that I have it connected to this database or can I have it connected to a database that I created. You can connect to different database such as sql or other access files. All you have to do is to define which connection string to use within your web.config file. If you want to make sure that your database is prepared to be used, use features such as ASPNET_REGSQL.EXE at VS Command Prompt. Hope this helps. Jae.jae.lee@jaeleeandco.com I'm in the Army...here in Georgia. Is it cold there.. Hi Jae,    &nb...

Web resources about - Database Connectivity in Delphi Pro Version - embarcadero.delphi.database

TE Connectivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TE Connectivity Ltd. designs and manufactures connectivity and sensor solutions for a variety of industries including automotive, industrial ...

Mark Zuckerberg Goes Into Detail On Facebook Connectivity Lab, Internet.org
Perhaps Facebook Co-Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg is just a wee bit excited about the Connectivity Lab , the initiative aimed at using high-altitude ...

The power of connectivity
By Keven McCammon, site data center manager, Facebook Forest City Data Center Today we announced that we’re partnering with the Town of Forest ...

Facebook, Internet.org launch Connectivity Lab
... CEO Mark Zuckerberg shed some light on the company’s acquisition of drone-maker Titan Aerospace, announcing the launch of Facebook’s Connectivity ...

Samsung Galaxy S3: Connectivity demo - USB OTG, MHL, bluetooth keyboards/mice, games controllers - YouTube ...
AndroidNZ.net - the best source for Galaxy S3 content! For navigation in the video use these links: USB Pendrive @0:55, 500GB portable drive ...

Mid-2012 MacBook Airs offer improved performance and connectivity
Believe it or not, it's been nearly four and a half years since Apple released the original MacBook Air. At the time, it was revolutionary in ...

Connectivity is key in society
They’re billing it as the place where Lewisham meets Summer Hill meets the city – and with good reason.

BMW to launch new connectivity service
Soon your car will notify the dealer when it’s due for a service. BMW Australia will introduce a new suite of in-car connectivity apps in its ...

The key to a successful hybrid cloud infrastructure? Flexible connectivity
It's becoming increasingly clear that - for most organisations - taking a 'hybrid' approach to cloud adoption makes sound business sense.

Facebook Connectivity Lab promotes access to Internet in remote areas - CTV News
Facebook is giving more details about its effort to connect remote parts of the world to the Internet - and it involves drones, lasers and satellites. ...