A general question about supporting offline databases - the Delphi Way

I am a bit of a newbie with Delphi databases, we've been using Delphi for 15 years but we have always used a proprietary binary data format.  We now want to switch to an SQL file format.  For now we're working with SQLITE, so the Java and C# guys in our shop can read the file too.

We have all the latest tools now, XE5 with FireDAC, Datasnap, REST etc.  I am very, very impressed with what we can do now.

Currently, we have a Delphi  desktop app that controls the data file, and use XMLRPC calls from the clients to send and receive transactions.  We have what we call a "refresh" where the server sends pretty much the whole database file to the client, so the client can work offline.

This is an agricultural business, where the the clients need to be able to work offline since they are often out of wireless range, sometimes out of cellphone range too.
We currently have 3 native mobile clients - a Windows Mobile client, Android client, and an IOS client, some more powerful than others.  Most of our end users have the Windows Mobile client, which we can no longer extend.

The "server" is a large desktop Delphi application.

What I am asking is what is the Delphi way to design this.   We want to develop Android and IOS clients to communicate with the desktop.  Long term, we want to put in a REST server on the client, so we can have web access, but that is not the main issue we have now.

Clients need to be able to look up records, possibly change them, and send the transactions when there is a connection.  And they need to have a copy of the data file so they can do this when offline.

I assume we still need a "refresh" which brings over the entire data file for offline use ?  Any ideas on how this is best done,   We would also want to be able to send the file over to an app written in some other language so the Java and Objective C guys can work with it.

Second, for Firemonkey mobile version, what built in methods for caching transactions on the clients could we use ?

Thanks for any ideas.  I've been working with FireDAC, Datasnap, etc, and  I'm pretty sure we now have all the tools to do this, just trying to get pointed in the right direction.
0
John

Good (Free) Database Choice For Simple Local Database For Delphi 2009
For years I have used the BDE and dVolga ( no longer abailable ) but want to learn how to use other third-party and/or Delphi 2009 vcl components for simple databases. For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with graphic field support for one field what is a good choice? What is available to do this without buying anything or possibly with a freeware component? Should I use DBExpress? Is a commercial database application necessary to create the database? Is something available from Microsoft as a free download to create and possibly edit a...

Several Delphi ADO Database help questions
Okay, I have an Access database connected to an ADO dbgrid in delphi through ADO connections. there are a few problems I'm having with it. Firstly, I have a lookup table for one of my columns set up in access, it's for a supplierID column, it gets the supplier ID number and the supplier name from a suppliers table for you to select from. This doesn't work in the delphi DBGrid, I have looked for ways to allow it to display but all I've found are complex blocks of code that don't work for me and that I don't have the skill to adapt. Secondly, I have several buttons ...

borland.public.delphi.database.general not fond
Hello. My problem is I am trying to connect to a newsgroup that I have configured in Outlook Express 6, under Windows XP and appears this as follows mistake : 411 Group borland.public.delphi.database.general not found. Setup: Count: newsgroups.borland.com Server: newsgroups.borland.com Protocol: NNTP Port: 119 Security (SSL): 0 Error Number: 411 Code: 800ccca5 With the newsgroup of Newsgroups.borland.com before it could enter the group borland.public.delphi.database.general, This is for all groups that begin with borland. I hope you can hel...

borland.public.delphi.database.general not fond #2
Hello. My problem is I am trying to connect to a newsgroup that I have configured in Outlook Express 6, under Windows XP and appears this as follows mistake : 411 Group borland.public.delphi.database.general not found. Setup: Count: newsgroups.borland.com Server: newsgroups.borland.com Protocol: NNTP Port: 119 Security (SSL): 0 Error Number: 411 Code: 800ccca5 With the newsgroup of Newsgroups.borland.com before it could enter the group borland.public.delphi.database.general, This is for all groups that begin with borland. I hope you can hel...

Delphi and Delphi Prism licensing question
When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence" or a "workstation licence"? Can I install both products on two machines I use with the same licence keys? I have a Mac Pro ("Cyrus") running Vista 64 in VMware and a MacBook ("Blacky") running Vista 32 in Parallels. Can I install Delphi and Delphi Prism on both Cyrus and Blacky since I use both machines (and like to have all dev tools I use installed on both machines at all times)? Andrew Brehm wrote: > When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence...

Ways to prove Delphi is better than Delphi?!?!?!?
The subject sounds interesting isn't it? I read an article on PHP with similar title. Reading the title sparked my interest! I thought something like this should also exist for Delphi. Here is the original PHP article link: http://tinyurl.com/blbky43 Hope someone will compile such a list of existing Delphi code. I like the "Evolving the language without Waiting for New Versions" point... I have played with some ideas to do that in Delphi. 1- The latest one was "array of vars" (like array of const but to modify the values) I posted the source code...

ANN: Context Database Designer & Extensions v.3 are now available with support for Delphi 2009!
Dear Friends, We are happy to announce the new release of Context Database Designer & Database Extensions v. 3.03. This version is a release candidate and introduces many improvements and bug fixes: Improvements ~~~~~~~~~~~~ #597 Show object class icon instead of class name in the diagram tabs. #598 Change icons for objects in editor to the standard ones (without the arrows). #599 Added option to the object editor grid: Tab (Shift-Tab) moves to next column in grid. #600 Added description colum to the object editor for table's fields. #601 Added Schema Statistics modal ...

ANN: Context Database Extensions Suite v.3.05 with support of Delphi 2010 is now available!
Dear Friends, We are happy to announce the new release of Context Database Extensions Suite v.3.05. This version introduces several improvements and bug fixes: ----------------------------------------------------------- #667. Added support for Delphi 2010. #681. Fixed some minor bugs in TDatabaseSchema and TDBSchemaTester components. #684. Fixed bug with SQLLexer going into infinite loop under Delphi 2009/2001 due to Unicode problems. The product is immediately available for download at: - http://www.contextsoft.com/products/ctxdbext/downloads.jsp Order your copy of Co...

ANN: Context Database Designer & Extensions v.3 are now available with the support for Delphi 2009!
Dear Friends! We are happy to announce the first public beta release of Context Database Designer & Database Extensions v.3.02. This version introduces several major improvements over version 2 including full support for Delphi 2009. Context Database Designer Improvements: - User Interface is redesigned to provide modal-less way of viewing and changing database object properties (Object Properties window); - Added customizable template-based documentation generation wizard; - Greatly improved schema comparison tool; - Greatly improved schema searching/management too...

Delphi and Oracle Database
Hello Everyone, I have a need to be able to read data out of an Oracle database. I know how I can access it - but now I need to bring the databases inhouse for development purposes. So - I need to install an oracle server - but only for my development needs - but it needs to be able to handle some large databases - from 5GB to 50GB approximately. I have been dealing with MSSQL and MySQL for a while - and I have those servers licenses and running. However, I am not familiar with how Oracle does things. Does anyone out there have some suggestions as to what type of licens...

Database with Delphi XE3
I've been using Delphi 7 Pro for years and have had to deal with the PDOXUSR.NET access denied problem with Vista OS and up anytime my application uses the Borland Database Engine. I'm thinking of buying Delphi XE3. Can someone tell me if the PDOXUSR.NET Access Denied problem has been taken care of in this version? With Windows 7, it seems that my apps will only run if I have the user reduce their User Account Control to a level the access is no longer denied. I'm hoping this is not an issue with XE3. I'm sorry if this is not the proper forum for my question. I there is a be...

Amazing database for Delphi
In the past I used many databases with Delphi, like sql server, Interbase, BDE and many others, Last year I had standalone project for a Church, the project wasn’t that big, but had thousands of records with a lot of big tables. To avoid any dependencies “BDE, DLLs, servers etc.” I had to find small, compact, and compiles right into my EXE. However, after I looked around (you can find my post on this site), many developers recommended Absolute Database, so I tried it and the price was very good, I surprised how this database handles very advance and complex queries and very fast. I re...

delphi 2010 database
Hello, I’m new to this forum, currently I have application with MS Access and all works good for me. But I need more reliable without DLL or other dependencies (for Delphi 2010) I found many databases for Delphi, I prefer free or less than $100.00 Thanks On 2010-11-28 19:09:31 -0500, Falah Latino <> said: > Hello, > I’m new to this forum, currently I have application with MS Access and > all works good for me. > But I need more reliable without DLL or other dependencies (for Delphi 2010) > I found many databases for Delphi, > I prefer free or less tha...

Is there a way to OFFLINE a database
Hi, On Sybase 11.0.3 and up, there is an "ONLINE DATABASE", is there an "OFFLINE DATABASE" also or is there a way to offline a user database? Thanks -tom Thomas Yen wrote: > On Sybase 11.0.3 and up, there is an "ONLINE DATABASE", is there an > "OFFLINE DATABASE" also or is there a way to offline a user database? No. You can either keep it offline by not bringing it online or you could try setting it to single user or dbo only mode. -am Thomas Yen wrote: > Hi, > > On Sybase 11.0.3 and up, there is an &q...

Web resources about - A general question about supporting offline databases - the Delphi Way - embarcadero.delphi.database

Supporting Characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The film follows two New York film editors trying to balance their personal lives while reworking a film. Schechter recently got the opportunity ...

New Chevron Advertising Demonstrates Value of Supporting Education
Eighth grade student Kaisaiah and Chevron geologist Winston share a passion for science and technology. And their enthusiasm for learning brings ...

Facebook to stop supporting Adobe Flash in desktop News Feed ad campaigns
In order to create a more frictionless experience on desktop, Facebook will stop supporting inline rich media such as Adobe Flash on Sept. 30 ...

Supporting communities across the globe on #FridayforGood
... (and here’s our summary of activities in our hometown of San Francisco). United States Boston Our @TwitterBoston team spent the day supporting ...

Investment and the EU: supporting jobs and growth
Europe is facing an investment gap. The EUR 315 billion investment plan is about finding ways to put public money to work, to stimulate additional... ...

Supporting Community Conferences
One fun way to promote your community is to consider what upcoming conferences, seminars, conventions, events, or meetups appeal to your community ...

Lean Toward Happy Magazine - Supporting Your Intention To Enjoy A Lifestyle of Awareness, Abundance and ...
Get Lean Toward Happy Magazine - Supporting Your Intention To Enjoy A Lifestyle of Awareness, Abundance and Awe on the App Store. See screenshots ...

Anons supporting Bradley Manning - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Anonymous supporters of Bradley Manning at an SF rally for Bradley Manning's article 32 hearing and birthday. Read more at www.bradleymanning.org ...

Daniel Ellsberg supporting Sibel Edmonds - YouTube
A short selection of footage of Pentagon whistleblower (Pentagon Papers) Daniel Ellsberg supporting FBI translator and whistleblower, Sibel Edmonds ...

Vance Joy on supporting Taylor Swift: 'I'm flexible'
Across the US, Canada, Europe and Britain, there has been one man beside American superstar Taylor Swift's side: Vance Joy.