Problems when connecting to SQL Server 2005 Express

Hello,

We're running a SQL Server 2005 Express edition on a 2-CPU server.

From an other server, we are accessing a Database on the SQL-server using
SQL-authentication. This normally works, but sometimes (10 - 20 times a day)
the user gets an 'Cannot connect ot database XXXX...'.

When he tries it again, there's no problem. When the user gets the error,
there are at max 5-10 connections active.

We've also recieved this erro when updating database content using the SQL
Server Manager Studio. In some cases the database would not be accessable
for 1 to 2 minutes.

Does this have to do with SQL-server Express limitations, or could there be
an other problem.

(I've read this post
http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2008/04/30/steps-to-troubleshoot-connectivity-issues.aspx,
but this does not help - as far as that i've down to step 6, because the
other steps are not a problem)

--
Regards,

Ronald Hoek

Applicationdevelopper
ComponentAgro B.V.
0
Ronald

Ronald Hoek wrote:

> Does this have to do with SQL-server Express limitations,
> or could there be an other problem.

It sounds like a connectivity problem. I would look for an
intermittent network hardware failure. There must be
thousands of SQL Server 2005 Express installations with
larger numbers of concurrent users so it is unlikely that
it is a SQL Server limitation.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0

Thanks, we are already examening/monitoring the network for problems.
But thanks for the suggestion...

- Nothing found so far...

--
Regards,

Ronald Hoek

Applicationdevelopper
ComponentAgro B.V.
0
Ronald
12/3/2008 10:41:25 AM
Ron,

We had the same problem a while back... it took us weeks to finally resolve.
It was an authentication issue.  See the Microsoft article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811889/en-us

Mike@HAS-Software.com

"Ronald Hoek" <none> wrote in message news:50207@forums.codegear.com...
> Hello,
>
> We're running a SQL Server 2005 Express edition on a 2-CPU server.
>
> From an other server, we are accessing a Database on the SQL-server using
> SQL-authentication. This normally works, but sometimes (10 - 20 times a
> day)
> the user gets an 'Cannot connect ot database XXXX...'.
>
> When he tries it again, there's no problem. When the user gets the error,
> there are at max 5-10 connections active.
>
> We've also recieved this erro when updating database content using the SQL
> Server Manager Studio. In some cases the database would not be accessable
> for 1 to 2 minutes.
>

> Does this have to do with SQL-server Express limitations, or could there
> be
> an other problem.
>
> (I've read this post
> http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2008/04/30/steps-to-troubleshoot-connectivity-issues.aspx,
> but this does not help - as far as that i've down to step 6, because the
> other steps are not a problem)
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Ronald Hoek
>
> Applicationdevelopper
> ComponentAgro B.V.
0
mike
12/9/2008 10:20:49 PM
I've been searching some more and found something regarding the AUTO_CLOSE
setting of the database.

We are now examening this first. When this does not work we will dig in to
your sollution.

--
Regards,

Ronald Hoek

Applicationdevelopper
ComponentAgro B.V.
0
Ronald

SQL Express

Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem
Apologies if this has already been covered, i can't find any search function on the forum. I have a somewhat annoying problem with the above software. I use Vista Home Premium x64 and have decided to install VWD 2008 and SQL2005 to learn ASP and SQL development. I only have a moderate undertanding of standard HTML and would like to expand my knowledge.  It is the final non-beta version of VWD 2008. The install went fine and no errors were shown. After trying to connect to the database via the ASP.NET application tool in VWD it gives an "unable to connect to the database ...

Having connection problems with SQL Server 2005 Express
This is a bit of a cross-post from the VS 2005 Forum, but we don't have a forum dedicated to SQL Server 2005...This is on my test machine running Windows XP Pro SP2 (NTFS),I have an existing SQL 2000 database located on a separate hard drive dedicated to data -- the e:\ drive.I just installed SQL Server 2005 Express, in the default installation directory (c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server) and I cannot connect to that database on the e:\ drive.  Named pipes, error: 40 (Remote access services are not installed by default).I don't want the database physically located on the c:\ drive....

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

How to configure and connect SQL Server 2005 Express to a VWD 2005 Express website?
Just installed VWD 2008 Express and have created the 'Basic Web Page'.  Now I am working on the Walkthrough: Basic Data Access in Web Pages.Step 8 showed the 'Add Connection' dialog box, where we need to enter the Server name, logon credentials, and database name.    Installing VWD 2008 Express also installeed SQL Server 2005 Express.  How and where do I get the information for the SQL Server 2005 Express, so that I can finish this walkthrough?  Or where can I find another 'Walkthrough' for configuring the SQL Server 2005 Express? &...

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

sql server express 2005 remote connection problem
Dear all:I have a problem in the database connection for sql server express 2005. Actually I am a  user of a free web-hosting plan offered by aspdotnet.sk, everything works well on my own machine, I put a local database file into the App_Data folder, and my connectionstring is:<add name=" ConnectionString1" connectionString=" Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Database=xuan;Integrated Security=True;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|family.mdf;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>But when I uploaded all the files to the server and test it in the browser, it doesn't work an...

ADO.Net connection problems with SQL Server 2005
Hi. Im try to use ADO.Net for connection to SQL Server 2005. In my developer workstation connection work fine, but in the clients, don�t connect. .Net 2.0 is installed, SQL Client for sql server 2005 is installed Help me please. Hi, In general, if you have registered the following 2 DLLs,ADO will work Sybase.PowerBuilder.Db.dll Sybase.PowerBuilder.DbExt.dll they are located under the folder Disk:\Program Files\Sybase\powerbuilder 11 You can get the folder from registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sybase\PowerBuilder\11.0->Location &quo...

Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express?
Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express? I always get a error code 18456 when I try to connect to SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express. I'm sure I enter correct username and password!SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator The answer is yes its possible but it depends on the security configuration of the remote server.Hope it helps,Joe http://www.joeaudette.comhttp://www.mojoportal.com oh wait. I don't have the Express...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Web resources about - Problems when connecting to SQL Server 2005 Express - embarcadero.delphi.ado

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store on iTunes
Get Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...