Problem in ADODB connecting to Oracle

Could someone please look at the ADODB.pas module in Delphi XE6 and report back on the code near
line 3702 (Delphi XE2).

In Delphi XE2 the line:

compatible := FieldDef.DataType in [ftString, ftWideString]

needs to be changed to:

compatible := FieldDef.DataType in [ftString, ftWideString, ftFixedChar, ftFixedWideChar]

in order to correctly execute an ADO query that returns a string field against an Oracle 11g
database using OLEDB (ADO).

If the code is correct in XE6 (to which we are just about to update) I will not report the problem
in QC. On the other hand, if the XE6 code is the same as the XE2 code, the patch is required and
I'll raise a QC report to say so.

Thanking you for your assistance,

--
JF
0

While making no claim as to whether this change is appropriate or not, I
can confirm this line of code exists in Delphi XE6. In Delphi XE6, it is
on line 3637.

It should be noted that I would expected this change to effect all ADO
connections, not just Oracle, so would need to be made with caution.

Jim Fleming wrote:
> Could someone please look at the ADODB.pas module in Delphi XE6 and report back on the code near
> line 3702 (Delphi XE2).
>
> In Delphi XE2 the line:
>
> compatible := FieldDef.DataType in [ftString, ftWideString]
>
> needs to be changed to:
>
> compatible := FieldDef.DataType in [ftString, ftWideString, ftFixedChar, ftFixedWideChar]
>
> in order to correctly execute an ADO query that returns a string field against an Oracle 11g
> database using OLEDB (ADO).
0
quinn
4/25/2014 3:11:08 PM
"quinn wildman" <qwildman@nospam.embarcadero.com> escribió en el mensaje
> While making no claim as to whether this change is appropriate or not, I
> can confirm this line of code exists in Delphi XE6. In Delphi XE6, it is
> on line 3637.
>
> It should be noted that I would expected this change to effect all ADO
> connections, not just Oracle, so would need to be made with caution.

Yes, being a practitioner for many moons I agree with you: any change should be made with caution
and after due deliberation by the dev team.

However, I should point out that the default character set of Oracle 11g Express Edition is AL32UTF8
and cannot, or should not, be changed, according to Oracle who establish that as one of the
limitations of the free Express Edition. ADO, OLEDB or ADODB.pas converts that into a field type of
ftFixedWideChar when creating a persistent field in Delphi XE2. With the proposed modification an
ftString field is created.

On an Oracle 10g system with WE8MSWIN1252 as the database character set, a field of type ftString is
created. I don't know if the problem experienced with 11g Express Edition would occur on a 10g
database with default character set AL32UTF8, or if it would disappear on a full function 11g
database with character set WE8MSWIN1252. Others more knowledgeable than I should be able to sort
this one out.

--
JF
0

A problem about connecting ASA by ADO component of Delphi?
Is there anyone to try to use ADO component of Delphi to connect ASA? I fail to do it. I manipulate database by TDataSource,TADOQuery,TConnection components of Delphi, and set up connection with ASA guide. When running the program, the connection is set up successfully. But a EoleException is thrown once I make a query using TADOQuery. System prompt "unknown error". Who knows what happened? Is it a compatible problem between ASA driver(ASAProv) and ADO component of Delphi? (All are ok when connecting ASA by BDE components). Is there anyone to try this?? ...

ADO Connection not working if Delphi and Oracle not on same computer
I had Delphi working fine with Oracle using ADO when Oracle 11g is on the same pc as Delphi. I tried to use Delphi from another pc and I do not know what to enter for "Servername" on the Build connection string screen. Originally I had tough I needed to enter the computer name, aka Hostname. I also tried entering a name of the oracle instance or Oracle service, and also tried using this info in for format of hostname.service and \\hostname-service. Can someone help -is it just the computer name, is it the ip address, does it need the Oracle instance name? Thanks. steve Hel...

Checking the status oracle connection PB9.0 Oracle 9i(9.2.0.50) Lost connection problem (LAN and WAN)
Cheers to all. We want to know if there is a way to get the status of the connection with oracle databse (online way), we use native driver for Oracle9i. Some times we get some lan and wan problems that produce small lost connection in seconds, but we dont any action that describe the success problem. we need to put some code in the application that help us to know the exactly moment when these happen to take some decision something loke a monitor tool. we appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance Eduardo Primera from: Venezuela ...

Problems connecting to Oracle (ORA-01034: ORACLE not available)
Hello people, I just installed Oracle 8.1.7 for Linux on Slackware Linux 7.1, I am using Perl 5.6.1, DBI 1.19, and DBD-Oracle 1.07. After installing / compiling every thing i tryed the following script: # ----- #!/usr/bin/perl use DBI; $database = 'DB'; $driver = 'Oracle'; $user = 'USERNAME'; $password = ''; $server = 'IP_ADDRESS'; %attr = ( PrintError => 1, RaiseError => 1 ); $dbh=DBI->connect("DBI:$driver:host=$server;SID=$database",$usuario,$password,\%attr)|| die "cant connect $DBI::err...

RE: Problems connecting to Oracle (ORA-01034: ORACLE not availabl e)
Well do you have the DB server running? Ilya -----Original Message----- From: Juan Jose Natera Abreu To: dbi-users@perl.org Sent: 08/21/2001 9:09 AM Subject: Problems connecting to Oracle (ORA-01034: ORACLE not available) Hello people, I just installed Oracle 8.1.7 for Linux on Slackware Linux 7.1, I am using Perl 5.6.1, DBI 1.19, and DBD-Oracle 1.07. After installing / compiling every thing i tryed the following script: # ----- #!/usr/bin/perl use DBI; $database = 'DB'; $driver = 'Oracle'; $user = 'USERNAME'; $password = ''; $server...

ADO COnnection can no longer read Oracle after reinstalling Oracle client
I had a hard drive replacement that started me from scratch, reinstalling everything including Win 7. I got Delphi XE2 and Interbase working, but my existing Delphi programs can no longer access Oracle. Oracle personal is on another pc in my home network, so that was not affected, but I had to reinstall Oracle client. It does connect using sqlplus, but not Delphi. In trying to build the connection string, I no longer have the option of choosing Oracle OLE DB. It looks like something has changed in Oracle client and I am waiting for them to tell me what replaced it. Can anyone tell me what De...

RE: Problems connecting to Oracle (ORA-01034: ORACLE not availabl e)
Are you able to log in with sqlplus??? Ilya -----Original Message----- From: Juan Jose Natera Abreu To: dbi-users@perl.org Sent: 08/21/2001 9:36 AM Subject: Re: Problems connecting to Oracle (ORA-01034: ORACLE not availabl e) Hi, On Tuesday 21 August 2001 11:26, you wrote: // Well do you have the DB server running? // // Ilya Yeah, It's Oracle 7.3 running on an IRIX server regards, Juan Jose -- fortune generated signature: Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone. Hi again, // Are you able to log in with sqlplus??? Af...

Re: Problems connecting to Oracle (ORA-01034: ORACLE not availabl e)
Hi, On Tuesday 21 August 2001 11:26, you wrote: // Well do you have the DB server running? // // Ilya Yeah, It's Oracle 7.3 running on an IRIX server regards, Juan Jose -- fortune generated signature: Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone. ...

Problem with connection to Oracle
Hi, I am a total novice to PowerDesigner, in fact I just wanted to try it out for an internal project (for which I wanted it to reverse engineer from one of our Oracle 10gR2 instances - I use 12.5.0.2165 PowerDesigner Studio Enterprise Trial on a Win 2003 x64 Server). So I installed it locally on my machine and tried to connect to the remote server (which works fine with SQLPlus as well as Enterprise Manager or e.g. TOAD), but got diverse error messages. After some research I found out that those were a result of me using a 64 bit windows ... which lead to a re-install (aft...

Problem with Oracle connectivity
Hello everybody, I am having a problem with the execution of the SQL command when connected with Oracle-8. Please reply. Thanks in advance. Kamalesh Shirpurkar ...

Oracle connectivity problem
I am having a problem with applications that can log onto multiple database. When I log onto one database, exit powerbuilder, and then log onto another database, I get the following Oracle error: ORA-12505 TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor. I do not get this error within an executable, only if I run the application through powerbuilder. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Make sure you are using the same tnsnames.ora file. Double-check that you use the same setup for both the application and pb: sqlca.server = @the_tns_a...

Connection to Oracle problem
Maybe anyone knows , how can I to get all necessary DLL's for native connection to the Oracle server 7.3 from Power Builder 5.0.03 Thanks for advice. Hi, 5.0.04 is the current maintenance release. A lot of bugs have been solved concerning Oracle 7.3. I would suggest that you use this version, that can be downloaded from the support.sybase.com website. BTW, the 5.0.03 version can still be found there. HTH -- - Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115 Vitaly Santsevich <vsantsevich@usa.net> wrote in ...

Oracle Connection Problem
IM7.0.3 Build 10077 Oracle 8.0.5 W2K Our system provides two different database that I can connect to--one for production data, and one for a test environment. Both are Oracle databases, but they reside on different servers. I can connect to the production database without any problems. So I used my connection to the production database as a guide for configuring my connection to the test database. However, when I attempt to connect to the test database, I get the following message: "Please connect as the PowerBuilder Catalog Owner. This is necessary for the ini...

Oracle connection problem
We get the following message when connecting to an Oracle database from PowerBuilder: "ORA-03121 no interface driver connected - function not performed" The software we are running on is: Oracle 7.02 for Unix PowerBuilder 5.02 Using PBs native driver version: O72 Any one have any suggestion on what might be the problem? Thank you Regards Tone Hansen On Tue, 05 Aug 1997 09:10:19 -0400, "Tone Hansen" <th@adbsys.no> wrote: >We get the following message when connecting to an Oracle database from >PowerBuilder: >"ORA-03121 no ...

Web resources about - Problem in ADODB connecting to Oracle - embarcadero.delphi.ado

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store on iTunes
Get Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...