Delphi (2009) Unicode when SQL is not

If upgrading to Delphi 2009, given this simplistic code:

procedure Test(db:TAdoConnection);
var
  q:TAdoQuery;
begin
  q := TAdoQuery.Create();
  q.Connection := db;
  q.SQL.Text := 'Update customer SET first_name=' + QuotedStr('mary');
  q.Execute;

Delphi 2009 is now sending Unicode to the ADO base components and Unicode
will be sent across the wire to the Server which will downsize it to match
VarChar() column of "First_Name", right?

This means:
- the amount of character based traffic to the SQL Server is doubled when
upgrading to Delphi 2009  (Given that no Unicode columns being used in SQL -
varchar, char, text and not NVarChar..)
- the SQL Server will have decoding work to do that it previously did not.
- when retrieving VarChar() fields, the Delphi app will have to upsize this
to unicode that it previously did not  (Select first_name from customer
where first_name='Mary')

Bottom line:
We are doubling character-based network traffic and increasing CPU stress on
both the SQL Server and the Delphi Application by making no change except
upgrading to Delphi 2009 with full unicode support.

Is there no AnsiString / VarChar() backwards compatibility support to
prevent these three issues when working with a MS SQL database that is
non-unicode?
0
Darian

"Darian Miller" <darian@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message

> Delphi 2009 is now sending Unicode to the ADO base components and Unicode
> will be sent across the wire to the Server which will downsize it to match
> VarChar() column of "First_Name", right?

Will the server downsize the string, or will the ADO base component downsize
it before sending it over the wire? I don't know for certain, but I'd expect
the latter. Have you actually monitored the traffic using an SQL monitor?
0
Dave

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

nterbase 2009 / delphi 2009 / unicode
I tried to use unicode in delphi 2009 / interbase 2009 and to test I've done this simple procedure procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject); var Test: String; begin Label4.Caption:=ibDataBase1.DataBaseName; ibDataBase1.Connected:=True; ibTransaction1.StartTransaction; Test:='Look '#$D840#$DC01'!'; Label1.Caption:=Test; // DATABASE INTERBASE 2009 WITH CHARACTER SET UNICODE_FSS // CREATE TABLE TESTTABLE (FNORMAL VARCHAR(60), FUTF8 VARCHAR(60) CHARACTER SET UTF8) ibQuery1.Close; ibQuery1.Sql.Text:='insert into testtable (fnormal...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

Delphi Paradox to Delphi SQL Anywhere
I need to convert a Delphi 3 app from Paradox tables to something more flexible/powerful. My app creates a limited number of complex transactions ( i.e. 200 to 300 transactions per month - each transaction has 300 to 400 fields in the primary file and links to about a dozen support files. What programming issues should I watch for in this conversion ( i.e. is using quicken style incremental search combo boxes a problem due to network traffic, etc. ) ??? What would be the conversion steps/Issues involved with this process ??? Obviously tables/relationships need to be created a...

is there a Delphi 2007

Upgrading to Delphi 2009 from Delphi 5

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

ShareMem Delphi 6 --> Delphi 2009
I have just upgraded from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2009. My software uses about 20 files, plus literally dozens more plug-ins. Every project has ShareMem as its first unit and borlndmm.dll is distributed with the software. I am aware that the Borland Memory Manager was replaced to use FastMM quite some time ago. Will I have to rebuild every EXE and DLL in DElphi 2009 that uses ShareMem, or will supplying the new borlndmm.dll be enough? i.e. I would like to just update the main application EXEs and DLLs, but leave the plug-ins alone. Will this work? Thanks, Jason. -- Jason Sweby ...

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

Can delphi 2009 and delphi 7 be on the same computer?
Can I install and run delphi 2009 and delphi 7 separately on the same computer or will they interfer with each other? I have delpi 7 already so do I need to choose a new folder (not c:\Borland) when installing 2009? Lorne Anderson wrote: > Can I install and run delphi 2009 and delphi 7 separately on the same > computer or will they interfer with each other? > > I have delpi 7 already so do I need to choose a new folder (not c:\Borland) > when installing 2009? It works fine. You usually want to install the older version first. As for folders, the root folde...

Web resources about - Delphi (2009) Unicode when SQL is not - embarcadero.delphi.ado

UnicodeNepali.com - Unicode Nepali Converter and Tools
Unicode Nepali Converter. Unicode Nepali typing with any standard keyboard. Simply type in Roman and it will convert into Unicode Nepali. Won't ...

Search form - searching for Unicode characters by name
For example, searching for ampersand finds U+0026 AMPERSAND as well as other ampersand characters.Searching for coptic finds letters with COPTIC ...

Unicode Consortium
Welcome! The enables people around the world to use computers in any language. Our freely-available specifications and data form the foundation ...

Mapping of Unicode characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
, or hexadecimal 110000 code points). As of Unicode 6.2, released in September 2012, 249,764 (22.4%) of these code points are assigned, including ...

Unicode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article contains special characters . Without proper rendering support , you may see question marks, boxes, or other symbols . Unicode is ...

Symbol Keyboard - Unicode Icons Signs,Characters Symbols,Emoji Art for Texting on the App Store on iTunes ...
Get Symbol Keyboard - Unicode Icons Signs,Characters Symbols,Emoji Art for Texting on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Unicode Consortium approves 36 new emoji including selfie, bacon, face palm
... good news for those who have a face palm moment or need to express their love of bacon or selfies &#8212; new emoji are on their way. The Unicode ...

Unicode Consortium approves 36 new emoji including selfie, bacon, face palm
... good news for those who have a face palm moment or need to express their love of bacon or selfies &#8212; new emoji are on their way. The Unicode ...

Unicode Consortium
Your guide to the best in tech.

Black emoji may finally be on the way, Unicode report reveals
Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, ...