Data not getting refreshed between two forms

I have a software in which there are 2 forms.

The Main form contains ADOQuery, DBGrid objects.
Below are properties that I have set:
ADOQuery1
---------
Cusror Type = Static
SQL = Select * from Medicine Order by MedicineName

DBGrid1
-------
Readonly = True

On this main form there is a button which will open another form in
which a user can edit data.

The code of the button is :
---------------------------
if ADOQuery1.Recordset.RecordCount > 0 then
   begin
     frmDataEntry.ADOTable1.Close;
     frmDataEntry.ADOTable1.Open;
     frmDataEntry.ADOTable1.Locate('MedicineName',
ADOQuery1.Fields[0].Value, [loCaseInsensitive]);
     frmDataEntry.ADOTable1.Recordset.Bookmark :=
ADOQuery1.Recordset.Bookmark;
     frmDataEntry.ShowModal;
   end;
   ADOQuery1.Close;
   Application.ProcessMessages;
   ADOQuery1.Open;
---------------------------

Now the problem is that even after closing the Data Editing form the
data showing in the Grid does not get refreshed.

What must be the problem?
0
Yogi

The easy solution is to connect the data aware controls on
both forms to the same ADOQuery. Otherwise you must close
and reopen the ADOQuery on the main form after you have
changed the data using the editing form.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
Bill Todd wrote:
> The easy solution is to connect the data aware controls on
> both forms to the same ADOQuery. Otherwise you must close
> and reopen the ADOQuery on the main form after you have
> changed the data using the editing form.

I am already doing that. But yet the data is not getting updated. If I
restart the software everything works but that is not practical to
restart the software every time some data is edited.

Have I to set any other properties to see that the data is refreshed
properly?

Regards,

Yogi Yang
0
Yogi
12/23/2008 10:05:14 AM
Diep Thanh Nguyen wrote:
> Use MainForm.ADOQuery1.Requery() then Locate() the previous ADOQuery1 record.
> Close and Open takes longer time than Requery()
I have tried Requery also but without any luck. The data just does not
get updated. But if I restart the software the updated data is show.

Have I to set any other for this.

Regards,

Yogi Yang
0
Yogi
12/23/2008 10:06:41 AM
What database are you using?

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
Bill Todd wrote:
> What database are you using?

I am using an MDB file created with MS Access 2003.

Does this have any problem?

TIA

Yogi Yang
0
Yogi
12/24/2008 2:52:52 PM
I have encountered this problem with ADO and Access MDB databases.

I was able to solve it by making all TADODataSets use the same TADOConnection.  I put the TADOConnection in a DataModule that is referenced in the Uses clause of every other form.

mIKE

> {quote:title=Yogi Yang wrote:}{quote}
> Diep Thanh Nguyen wrote:
> > Use MainForm.ADOQuery1.Requery() then Locate() the previous ADOQuery1 record.
> > Close and Open takes longer time than Requery()
> I have tried Requery also but without any luck. The data just does not
> get updated. But if I restart the software the updated data is show.
>
> Have I to set any other for this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yogi Yang
0
Michael
12/24/2008 3:29:35 PM
Yogi Yang wrote:

> Does this have any problem?

Well, it seems to have the problem you described. I am not
an Access user so I have no idea why it is buffering the
change in such a way that the other query does not see the
change.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
Michael Verhagen wrote:
> I have encountered this problem with ADO and Access MDB databases.
>
> I was able to solve it by making all TADODataSets use the same TADOConnection.  I put the TADOConnection in a DataModule that is referenced in the Uses clause of every other form.
>
> mIKE
Mike,

Thanks for the hint. I will try this out and get back if I have problems.

Regards,

Yogi Yang
0
Yogi
12/25/2008 4:18:03 AM
Bill Todd wrote:
> Yogi Yang wrote:
>
>> Does this have any problem?
>
> Well, it seems to have the problem you described. I am not
> an Access user so I have no idea why it is buffering the
> change in such a way that the other query does not see the
> change.

Bill,

I am also baffled with this ADO problem as I personally have never had
the need to connect to an MDB till date. This is my first experience
with MDB.

BTW my preferred embeded RDBMS is AbsoluteDB Personal Edition.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Yogi Yang
0
Yogi
12/25/2008 4:19:56 AM
Yogi Yang wrote:

> I am also baffled with this ADO problem as I personally
> have never had the need to connect to an MDB till date.
> This is my first experience with MDB.

I do not think what you are experiencing is an ADO problem.
I use ADO frequently with other databases and have never
encountered the problem you describe. I think your problem
has something to do with Access.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
Bill Todd wrote:

> I do not think what you are experiencing is an ADO problem.
> I use ADO frequently with other databases and have never
> encountered the problem you describe. I think your problem
> has something to do with Access.

I don't know what is the real problem, you may be right about this problem.

But now I am facing another problem.

In the main form I have a DBGrid in which displays all the data.

On this main form I have give a button for editing a data.

In the Button click even I have coded to find the record in the
DataEntry form and then display the form. To find record I am using
Locate functionality of ADO. But if we try to edit the data we are not
able to edit the target record. In the DataEntry form first we will have
to navigate to another record and then navigate back to the record we
want to edit and then only we can edit it successfully.

If we edit data without navigating some unknown record gets edited. This
is really pissing me off!

Any idea how to over come this problem?

TIA

Yogi Yang
0
Yogi
12/27/2008 4:39:01 AM
I was considering throwing in some extra information in my prior reply, and upon reading your latest message, now I am sorry that I did not include the extra info.

A long time ago, I discovered that there can be problems when you Delete, Edit or Insert into a table that is being displayed in a grid.  I am not talking about editing directly in the grid because I very seldom enable that capability.  What I'm talking about is when you use a grid to display some sub-set of a table and permit the user to click on an Edit button to edit the selected record or Insert button to add records in the underlying table, or Delete to remove the selected record.

What I found is that, at least in the case if Inserts, it is helpful to move focus off of the grid before issuing the dataset.Insert statement in your code.  I usually test the .CanFocus property of some component that I expect to be visible and capable of accepting focus, then assigning focus to it.  Typically, this is some kind of tab-notebook component upon which the data-aware edit components reside.  I have made this suggestion to others who have replied that moving focus eliminated their problem, ev
en if they never figured out why that works, and even if they also found other ways to eliminate their problem.

I never figured out if my problems were due to ADO, Delphi 5's implementation (ADOExpress), or the Jet that talks to the MDB.  In some cases, dataset.Delete worked fine no matter where focus was at the time of the Delete, and in other cases I had to issue a DELETE command in SQL in a TADOCommand component and then toggle (close/open) the dataset that shows records in the grid EVEN IF I had moved focus off of the grid.  Now that I use Delphi 2007 and soon 2009, I don't see these same problems, but maybe th
at's just because the migrated apps already contain the goofy work-arounds.  But it was still true that sometimes just moving focus before .Delete or .Insert made problems disappear.  Yes, I realize that this seems to make no sense.

Also, there could be a problem with the selected record in the dataset not being the record that is selected in the grid.  I cannot think of how this could happen, given the nature of DBgrid components and their descendants, but if your problem somehow involves InfoPower's TwwSearchDialog or any other InfoPower component, please mention that in your reply.

In any case, I've found ADO to be pretty odd compared to the behavior of the BDE.  For instance, if no index is specified in a TTable in the BDE, then PK order was delivered, but in ADO, you must specify the order or you don't know what you're going to get.  For sure, none of my apps have used TTable for a long time, but the example I listed is just one of the man gotchas you experience when moving to BDE.  If your app didn't involve a migration, then at least you only have to handle the supreme enjoyment
 of dealing with the general oddity of the decisions MS made with ADO.

I also have apps that have very fancy UI and sometimes it's hard to devise a scheme that keeps all displays up-to-date when there is interaction between actions on different tab-pages of some screen that is supported by some convoluted event-handlers on the dataset/datasource components.  So, before going too far down the road of blaming ADO, I'd want to hear about how your dataset/datasource components might interact, because you could actually be causing your own problems..... and let's hope that this i
s the case.

mIKE

> {quote:title=Yogi Yang wrote:}{quote}
> Bill Todd wrote:
> >
> > I do not think what you are experiencing is an ADO problem.
> > I use ADO frequently with other databases and have never
> > encountered the problem you describe. I think your problem
> > has something to do with Access.
> >

> I don't know what is the real problem, you may be right about this problem.
>
> But now I am facing another problem.
>
> In the main form I have a DBGrid in which displays all the data.
>
> On this main form I have give a button for editing a data.
>
> In the Button click even I have coded to find the record in the
> DataEntry form and then display the form. To find record I am using
> Locate functionality of ADO. But if we try to edit the data we are not
> able to edit the target record. In the DataEntry form first we will have
> to navigate to another record and then navigate back to the record we
> want to edit and then only we can edit it successfully.
>
> If we edit data without navigating some unknown record gets edited. This
> is really pissing me off!
>
> Any idea how to over come this problem?
>
> TIA
>
> Yogi Yang
0
Michael
12/27/2008 5:47:31 AM
A few extra items just occurred to me, but I haven't investigated them so you can think of them as just grabbing at straws for the moment.

First, have you established that the .Locate was successful before the .Edit?

Second, have you investigated the CursorLocation issues?

Third, have you checked to see that you don't have two different table components (one seen in the grid and the other in the data-aware components) pointing to the same underlying table?

And have you already tried my other suggestion about ensuring that all datasets reference the same connection component?

> {quote:title=Yogi Yang wrote:}{quote}
> Bill Todd wrote:
> >
> > I do not think what you are experiencing is an ADO problem.
> > I use ADO frequently with other databases and have never
> > encountered the problem you describe. I think your problem
> > has something to do with Access.
> >

> I don't know what is the real problem, you may be right about this problem.
>
> But now I am facing another problem.
>
> In the main form I have a DBGrid in which displays all the data.
>
> On this main form I have give a button for editing a data.
>
> In the Button click even I have coded to find the record in the
> DataEntry form and then display the form. To find record I am using
> Locate functionality of ADO. But if we try to edit the data we are not
> able to edit the target record. In the DataEntry form first we will have
> to navigate to another record and then navigate back to the record we
> want to edit and then only we can edit it successfully.
>
> If we edit data without navigating some unknown record gets edited. This
> is really pissing me off!
>
> Any idea how to over come this problem?
>
> TIA
>
> Yogi Yang
0
Michael
12/27/2008 6:47:55 AM
Yogi Yang wrote:

> Any idea how to over come this problem?

Sorry, no. That is another problem that I have never had.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0

> > I do not think what you are experiencing is an ADO problem.
> > I use ADO frequently with other databases and have never
> > encountered the problem you describe. I think your problem
> > has something to do with Access.
> >

> I don't know what is the real problem, you may be right about this problem.
>
> But now I am facing another problem.
>
> In the main form I have a DBGrid in which displays all the data.
>
> On this main form I have give a button for editing a data.
>
> In the Button click even I have coded to find the record in the
> DataEntry form and then display the form. To find record I am using
> Locate functionality of ADO. But if we try to edit the data we are not
> able to edit the target record. In the DataEntry form first we will have
> to navigate to another record and then navigate back to the record we
> want to edit and then only we can edit it successfully.
>
> If we edit data without navigating some unknown record gets edited. This
> is really pissing me off!
>
> Any idea how to over come this problem?
>
> TIA
>
> Yogi Yang
0
Brian
12/30/2008 12:04:19 AM
There was a bug like you described in Delphi 5 when it first came out.  It was fixed in the first patch version

> [...]
> > > I use ADO frequently with other databases and have never
> > > encountered the problem you describe. I think your problem
> > > has something to do with Access.
> > >

> > I don't know what is the real problem, you may be right about this problem.
> >
> > But now I am facing another problem.
> >
> > In the main form I have a DBGrid in which displays all the data.
> >
> > On this main form I have give a button for editing a data.
> >
> > In the Button click even I have coded to find the record in the
> > DataEntry form and then display the form. To find record I am using
> > Locate functionality of ADO. But if we try to edit the data we are not
> > able to edit the target record. In the DataEntry form first we will have
> > to navigate to another record and then navigate back to the record we
> > want to edit and then only we can edit it successfully.
> >
> > If we edit data without navigating some unknown record gets edited. This

0
Brian
12/30/2008 12:05:51 AM
Brian:  I'm sure you are correct that there were bugs in the original D5 that caused the Delete problems that appeared when the data was also shown in a grid that had focus, and other problems too.  What I wasn't aware of is that the first fix got rid of it.  When I used D5, I applied the patch and the patch to ADOExpress right away, so it would surprise me to learn that I never had the problem after that, but since you're one of the few people who have consistently provided valuable insights into ADO wit
h Delphi since those days, I'll have to take your word for it.  Thanks for the added info.

> [...]
is is the case.

> > mIKE
> >
> > > {quote:title=Yogi Yang wrote:}{quote}

> > > I don't know what is the real problem, you may be right about this problem.
> > >
> > > But now I am facing another problem.
> > >
> > > In the main form I have a DBGrid in which displays all the data.
> > >
> > > On this main form I have give a button for editing a data.
> > >
> > > In the Button click even I have coded to find the record in the
> > > DataEntry form and then display the form. To find record I am using
> > > Locate functionality of ADO. But if we try to edit the data we are not
> > > able to edit the target record. In the DataEntry form first we will have
> > > to navigate to another record and then navigate back to the record we
> > > want to edit and then only we can edit it successfully.
> > >
> > > If we edit data without navigating some unknown record gets edited. This

0
Michael
12/30/2008 12:53:10 AM
Brian Bushay wrote:
> Your problem with delayed data posting is a Jet engine problem
> see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q200300
> for details

Thanks for the link. It is really an Eye Opener for me.
0
Yogi
1/6/2009 8:10:34 AM
Michael Verhagen wrote:

> What I found is that, at least in the case if Inserts, it is helpful to move focus off of the grid before issuing the dataset.Insert statement in your code.  I usually test the .CanFocus property of some component that I expect to be visible and capable of accepting focus, then assigning focus to it.  Typically, this is some kind of tab-notebook component upon which the data-aware edit components reside.  I have made this suggestion to others who have replied that moving focus eliminated their problem,
ev
> en if they never figured out why that works, and even if they also found other ways to eliminate their problem.

I am opening another form for all Editing related activities so DBGrid
is loosing its focus. But yet the problem persists. I found that if we
navigate to another record and then back then this problem gets solved.

Thanks for the info and ideas.

Yogi Yang
0
Yogi

Oracle NCLOB data getting truncated when using delphi ADO
I am using Delphi2007 and using ADO for data access. When trying to select nclob data from an Oracle database it generally works, but I have one query that is consitantly truncating the data at 12 characters. I have already been in touch with Oracle and they have confirmed that the OLEDB provider that is being used is correctly returning the data. Here is the query select ACT_KEY, COALESCE((SELECT LTX_TEXT FROM TEXT_TABLE WHERE LTX_TABLE='SOURCE_TABLE' AND LTX_TEXT_ID = 'ACT_DESC' AND LTX_TABLE_KEY = CAST(SOURCE_TABLE.ACT_KEY AS NVARCHAR2(10))),TO_NCLOB(ACT_DESC)) as A...

how to get the Data saved messege populated when data is saved to data base on asp form
I am able to save data to the data base from the asp form which I have created. how ever I want that when the data is saved, i should get a pop up message or an alert box stating DATA SAVED or RECORD UPDATEd.   I am not able to fin out the way to do this in asp.net 2.0 using visual web developer.   the data base wich I am using is MY SQL Regards punit.  After your data is saved you can use the following to display a message:ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Page.GetType(), "msg", "alert('Record Saved');", True) ** Hope this helps!DennyDotNet.comSocial42.com Tha...

Page is not getting refreshed but my datagrid is getting refreshed how to refresh the page
Hi EveryOne, Im getting a problem here that my datgrid is getting refreshed for every Updation ,Edit,Cancel commands but the page is not getting refreshed so anybody can help me how a page gets refreshed in a button click in C# of Asp.Net.                            Thanx in Advance RuttsRatnakar Choudry,c.ratnakar@gmail.com,Tension Nahi Leneka Apun Hai Nah... When you do an update on the DataGrid, for sure a postback happens! So how is it that the DataG...

Parent form must not get refresh after open a child form
Can I have a solution ?Parent form must not get refresh after open a child form...........I have used a link button to open a child form.............  Hi,  Use java script to open new window.   window.open (URL, windowName[, windowFeatures])  Add this script as attribute to your button. Now new window will come as a popup without post back.    Don’t forget to Mark this as Answer if this post helps you....

How can I get two values from two different data grid???
  I have two datagrids on  one page. How can I get two values from these two datagrid then multiple or add There is data grid A and B . But i want to get values  using cells from e.Item.Cells[1].Text=totalamount.ToString(); from  datgrid and another cell from other data grid then add or divide.How can I achieve this?? int total = int.Parse(Grid1.Items[INDEX].cells[1].Text) + int.Parse(Grid2.Items[INDEX2].cells[1].Text);If you dont know which Item to access use foreach loop for  Grid.ItemsIf this solves your problem please mark as answer  it is com...

passing the data to the dll file and then get the data back to web form
 I want to input data to the text box and then that text box is reading and combining data to the dll file and then get the data back to the web form and show the result.I don't konw how to write this application.  I hope the dll you have is a .NET assembly. If so, you can follow the below steps.1) You must first give reference to the dll in your web application by using the Add Reference menu. Then place the "using <namespace>" at the top in your codebehind.2) Instantiate the class file in the dll and invoke the method with the appropriate parameter value (t...

Data is not getting refreshed
I feel dumb for having to post this here, but I am lost.  I am having trouble getting new data to display immediately on my pages.  Instead it displays what was on the screen previously even after arriving from an another page using a redirect.  The new data is being inserted into the database fine.  It almost seems like my pages are cached, but I don't have any caching enabled on my pages. I also stop checking the post back so it can reload every time it is hit and that is not doing any good either.  I then tried to disable viewstate on the ...

get data from Datagridview(gets data from SqlDataSource1)
 I got data from database into my datagridview via sqlDatasource1 i.e by using given tools, no programming et all.I want to access rows of each Gridview row separately and then show them in textboxes of my own choice, instead of in gridview. How can I do that? It works numberOfRows = datagridview.Rows.Count;but following doesn'ttextbox1.Text=datagridview.Rows[0].cells[1].Text;Dont know why it doesn;t?Then I tried to get data of this gridview to another but it didn;t work too.Help me plzzz.....I m stuck hereRegards,Mohsin Can you please post your GridView code? I have some cod...

Create User Wizard
 I'm using the Create User Wizard and need details added to my own database as well the default one. I've searched and found many answers but none of them are quite right. I need to either  add fields to the start page which then adds the UserName and Email as well as my own fields to my databaseIt come up with the error "Must declare the scalar variable "@UserName".send the UserName and Email data to a second page where I ask for the additional info and write it to my database.I can't work out how to write the UserName and Email from the first page on to...

How to get data from two different tables for two different columns of a gridview based on datakey
Hi All,            I have a Gridview with two different columns- "Faculty" coming from tblFaculty and "Teachers" coming from tblFacultyTeacherLink. I want to get data for "Teachers" by comparing FcaultyId in tblFacultyTeacherLink and then getting Teachers name. How to achieve this without using nested gridviews?  My .aspx Page is as-   <asp:GridView ID="gviewFaculty" DataKeyNames="FacultyId" AutoGenerateColumns="false" runat="server" Width="100%&q...

I do not want to refresh page to get latest data on it.Whenever I call my web page it must return latest data on it? How can I do that?
When I call my application web page it gets last executed page not actual page. I have to refresh page to obtain actual data on the page. I want actual data without refreshing.Whenever I call my application's web page it must bring me latest data on it. How can I do that? Thanks You can use ajax which will send an asynchronous request to the server and refresh partial page content. for more about ajax check below link www.asp.net/ajax HCHaissam Abdul MalakMCAD.NET| Blog |...

Getting data back from a form?
Sorry for the extremely newbie-type question, but how does form data get back to the controller action?   I have a view that passes a text field back to the controller using a Submit button (presumably a POST), but the data never seems to show up anywhere.    Is there a tutorial for the extremely challenged or something here on the site somewhere?  Thanx in advance. This is old school asp classic stuff. Request.Form[""];  Out of the ASP.Net MVC book (http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2009/04/28/free-asp-net-mvc-nerddinner-tutorial-now-...

Data on form does no refresh after postback
Hi, I'm working on an Administration form to score team in a game. There is 4 team and each one is represent by a div containing 3 input box: 1 for the total score - this one cannot be edited, 1 for the segment score and 1 for the comments on the segment. the form get fill by two combo box to fill the team informations. That information come from a database. The problem I'm facing is that when I change the info's in the input box and I save the info in the database, the page refresh my info in div 1 to 3, but div 4 does not get updated. So I end up with the old infos in the inp...

Web resources about - Data not getting refreshed between two forms - embarcadero.delphi.ado

Platform Updates: New Industry Pages, Refreshed Services Status Page, and New Parse Config Dashboard
Platform Updates: New Industry Pages, Refreshed Services Status Page, and New Parse Config Dashboard

Refreshed skipper Meg Lanning ready to lead Southern Stars to Ashes challenge
It is an annual ritual of Meg Lanning's that is as cathartic as it is symbolic. Once her club cricket duties are over, typically the full stop ...

Swan Dan Hannebery refreshed and ready for finals campaign
Dan Hannebery says he will head into this year's finals series in much better shape than last season as a result of an ankle injury which floored ...

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy refreshed by Generation Y confidence
Craig Bellamy says teaching the Storm's young guns has refreshed his coaching career.

Refreshed Chris Waller confident Brazen Beau ready for July Cup challenge
Chris Waller has been revitalised by a week away in England with Brazen Beau, which is a throwback to one of his biggest learning experiences ...

Refreshed Fiat 500 hatchback unveiled in Europe
Fiat is freshening up its adorable city car – at least in Europe – for 2016

Google releases new Wallet app with refreshed interface ahead of Android Pay launch
Google today unexpectedly released a new Google Wallet app on the Play Store. Instead of updating the original Wallet app, the company released ...

Nest app update rolling out soon with refreshed interface, Nest Protect compatibility, and more
... for more breaking coverage of Apps , Nest , and Smoke detector . What do you think? Discuss "Nest app update rolling out soon with refreshed ...

CNN Overnights Get ‘Refreshed’
CNN, which simulcasts CNN International newscasts in the overnight hours between midnight and four a.m. ET, has announced “refreshed” anchor ...

iLife, iWork Gets Refreshed for OS X Mavericks and iOS - Bonnie Cha - Product News - AllThingsD
The new versions of iLife and iWork are available today and free with the purchase of a new Mac or iOS device.