Connect to Paradox tables with ADO: problem with FmtMemo fields [Edit]

Some years ago, I developed a Personal Information Manager (PIM) program using Paradox tables and the BDE. It works fine and customers enjoy it.

Recently, I tried to use the dbGo components instead of the BDE (some say ADO  is faster whereas BDE is deprecated). No problem with the connection *but all the fields of the database with the ftFmtMemo data type have disappeared from the display* (though they are still in the Paradox database).

Is there a solution?

Georges

Edited by: Georges Trottier on Sep 25, 2011 9:37 AM
0
Georges

Hello Georges

> some say ADO  is faster whereas BDE is deprecated

No ! For Paradox tables the BDE is the best.

> Is there a solution?

If you does not need to support other DB's, then return
back to BDE ...

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Arefiev / www.da-soft.com
AnyDAC - Firebird, SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL,
DB2, SQL Anywhere, Access, Informix, ODBC high-speed data access lib
0
Dmitry
9/25/2011 6:03:48 PM
Paradox formatted memo fields use a proprietary encoding
scheme that has never beend published AFAIK. They do not
use standard RTF. Only the BDE supports them. Since the BDE
was abandoned in 2002 your best solution for the long term
is is move to another database such as Firebird or SQLite.
However, there is no way that I know of to convert the
formatted memo fields to another database and preserve the
formatting.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0

Thanks to all!
0
Georges
9/28/2011 8:12:03 PM
Georges Trottier wrote:

> Now I am convinced that I will stick to Paradox.

The problem with continuing to use Paradox tables is that
the BDE is the only way to use Paradox tables. The Paradox
DBMS is built into the BDE. Development of the BDE was
stopped in 2002. It gets a little bit harder to install the
BDE and get it to work with each new version of Windows so
you had better have a plan for the day when Microsoft
releases a version of Windows on which the BDE will not run
at all. There is no hope of a viable third party engine for
Paradox because the Paradox file format is proprietary and
has never been published and, at this point, there would be
very very little demand.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
> {quote:title=Georges Trottier wrote:}{quote}
> Some years ago, I developed a Personal Information Manager (PIM) program using Paradox tables and the BDE. It works fine and customers enjoy it.
>

> Recently, I tried to use the dbGo components instead of the BDE (some say ADO  is faster whereas BDE is deprecated). No problem with the connection *but all the fields of the database with the ftFmtMemo data type have disappeared from the display* (though they are still in the Paradox database).
>

> Is there a solution?
>

> Georges
>
> Edited by: Georges Trottier on Sep 25, 2011 9:37 AM

I would look at the Absolute database found at http://www.componentace.com/  They have a function to change the Paradox DB to an Absolute DB. No more BDE and easy to use. Check it out.

George
0
George

A problem about connecting ASA by ADO component of Delphi?
Is there anyone to try to use ADO component of Delphi to connect ASA? I fail to do it. I manipulate database by TDataSource,TADOQuery,TConnection components of Delphi, and set up connection with ASA guide. When running the program, the connection is set up successfully. But a EoleException is thrown once I make a query using TADOQuery. System prompt "unknown error". Who knows what happened? Is it a compatible problem between ASA driver(ASAProv) and ADO component of Delphi? (All are ok when connecting ASA by BDE components). Is there anyone to try this?? ...

ADO Connection Problems
I am working on a product that has been 2 years in development. It is currently in production, but we recently added a new feature that required a new database connection to the main office database from satellite locations. Many of these locations use different internet providers to connect to our private network, and sometimes these connections are not very reliable. On top of that, our database server is now being hammered. We're experiencing 'parameter @someParam not found', and 'query timeout' errors. The first error happens more on low end machine...

ADO Connection problems
I am using C++ Builder 5 with ADO and SQL Anywhere 7.0.499 and Win 2K. I put a TADOCOnnection on my form and go to the ConnectionString property and hit Build connection. I select the Adaptive Server Anywhere Provider and input all my connection stuff, then hit Test connection. The connection is succesful. Then I go to my TADOConnection and hit connected = true, and I get an error of "Invalid Enum Value". Then I switch everything over to the ADO for ODBC Connections and hook up everything and test the connection and it returns successful. Then I go to set the Connected p...

ADO.net problem: i can not view image data for the rest of my table rows except the image for the first row but i can read all the other non image fields for all rows.
Hi i have a table with the following fields imgid............int imgdata........image imgtitle.........varchar(max) imgType........varchar(max) imgLength.....bigint incident_id.....int i have no problem with uploading the image but viewing the uploaded image(s) in a gridview has caused me great pain. The probelm is i have two pages. page1 grabs the image to display and page2 has a gridview that displays the grabed image. I wanted to have an sql statement like SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE incident_id=someValue. IF i have 5 records in this table and i view page2 ...

Problem with connection ADO.net
I migrated an application to PB 10.5 with SQL 2005. I use ADO.net with Namespace='System.Data.SqlClient',DataSource='192.168.3.10',Database='datos' ,TrimSpaces=1,DisableBind=0,OJSyntax='ANSI' The application function correctly but when i insert a record i need the default values of database be inserted but this not occur. What is the problem ? What were you using as connection before you migrated? Why did you choose ADO.net? > I migrated an application to PB 10.5 with SQL 2005. I use > ADO.net with > Namespace='System.Data.SqlClient...

ADO not ADO.NET
Hi, I have to connect to a db using adodb (which i select from the references). I have to retrieve the car models from the database and bind them to a listbox. I am not sure how to proceed and I can't find any articles on ADO with .net and data binding. Here is the code that i tried but it only retrieves the car model for the specified id. If I delete the id it doesn't work. Also it writes the car model in the listbox vertically such as: B M W CODE: Imports System.Data Imports ADODB Imports System.Data.OleDb Public Class listboxADO Inherits System.Web.UI...

problem with ado.net connectivity
I have this error message when i use ado.net connectivity Index #0 Message: The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value. NativeError: 242 Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server SQLState: 22007 What can i do to solve this problem run a trace on the db activity from your application and see what sql is causing this. the error message indicates that you are trying to perform a data type conversion that cannot be handled implicitly. for example, are you passing in parameters to the query that are of an incor...

Sybase/ADO connectivity problems
I'm having trouble getting the ADO objects to connect to our Sybase 11 server. I believe I'm using the latest Sybase ODBC client, but the connection fails every time (on the Connection Open method). I guess the problem lies in the configuration of the client-- can anyone provide me with the steps to set this up properly? I've installed the latest MDAC setup from Microsoft (1.5 something) and the latest Sybase ODBC drivers, set up my System DSN, etc. (which I've verified works), but still no luck. One question in my mind is that, when I install the ADO support, it ...

datetime trouble in ADO Microsoft ADO .NET Connection
Hi, All! MS SQL 200 PB 10.2.1 build 9557 In PB DB Painter: select dateevent from AuditInternal where id_event = 201865; Result: ADO Microsoft ADO .NET Connection: 214:35:45:633 OLE Microsoft OLE DB Connection: 01.03.2006 12:35:45:633 It has begun in 9537 In 9557 same. In 9004 all this it was good thanks, Alexey ...

Problems connecting with ADO.Net
As my saga continues from my previous post, I was finally able to establish a connection to a SQL Server Compact database using ADO.Net. I successfully created a database profile using ADO.Net and was able to create tables and pipeline data in. But when I try to connect to the database during runtime using the same SQLCA parameters, PB crashes. The syntax in the Preview tab of the database profile looks like this: // Profile test1 SQLCA.DBMS = "ADO.Net" SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.DBParm = "Namespace='System.Data.OleDb',Provider='Microsoft.SQLSE...

ADO to ADO.NET
I'm an ASP programmer (VBScript) moving on to ASP.NET. So far I'm using:Microsoft Visual Studio 2003ASP.NET with C#I'm working on converting my code over to C#, from VBScript. Now, here is my code in VBScript (modified to better understand it, this is a edited ugly version):Function ExecuteSQL(sqlStatement)    ConnDriver = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source = " & dbIP & "; Initial Catalog = " & dbName & "; User Id = " & dbUser & "; Password=" & dbPassword     Set connTemp = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")    c...

Getting "Problem in Mapping Fragment starting at line ..." error when trying to create table mappings for table associations in ADO.NET Entity Framework
 Table A: COUNTRY_LOOKUP COUNTRY_ID   smallintclustered, unique, primary key located on PRIMARY    COUNTRY_ID TABLE B: COUNTRY_MODE_RULES CARRIER_ID    intMODE_RULE_TYPE_ID    intORIG_COUNTRY_ID    smallintDEST_COUNTRY_ID    smallint clustered, unique, primary key located on PRIMARY    CARRIER_ID, MODE_RULE_TYPE_ID, ORIG_COUNTRY_ID, DEST_COUNTRY_IDThere is a foreign key relationship from COUNTRY_MODE_RULES to COUNTRY_LOOKUPORIG_COUNTRY_IDREFERENCES .COUNTRY_LOOKUP (COUNTRY_ID)DEST_CO...

Web resources about - Connect to Paradox tables with ADO: problem with FmtMemo fields [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.ado

First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( FCC ) is a British train operating company , owned by FirstGroup , operating the Thameslink Great Northern franchise . FCC operates passenger ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

CloudCraze Connects Consumers To Facebook Brands Via Cloud Technology
Brands on Facebook are always looking for new, efficient ways to connect with customers . CloudCraze, which recently released its 3.0 e-commerce ...

Australian app Sociabl connects fan with their idols
Just into their 20s, cousins Brandon Reynolds and Jarrad Hrotek are set to launch a video call app that connects celebrities with their fans ...

Movesum step-tracking app connects how you move with what you eat
... your funny bone . Movesum Lifesum - Healthier living, better eating, more movement Pedometer++ Moves Movesum step-tracking app connects ...

SanDisk’s Wireless Connect 200GB Flash Drive Streams and Shares Without Plugging In
The SanDisk Wireless Connect 200GB flash drive is just huge. Besides its size, it also connects over password protected Wi-Fi to let you transfer ...

Solar Plants: UK’s Lightsource Connects 100 MW Of Solar In December
Lightsource Renewable Energy has announced the connection of 23 new sites in December, totaling more than 100MW of new capacity. This is a solid ...

A pause in the shouting: Obama, critics connect at CNN's town hall on guns
CNN A pause in the shouting: Obama, critics connect at CNN's town hall on guns CNN (CNN) A president who has vowed to politicize gun control ...

Triple-whammy Bluetooth keyboard connects to 3 devices flawlessly
Lust List: K380 Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard by Logitech Not one, not two, but three devices, all commanded by a single keyboard. Three Bluetooth ...

Watch Hillary Attempt To Connect To The Youth by Playing ‘Heads Up!’ On ‘Ellen’
Watch Hillary Attempt To Connect To The Youth by Playing ‘Heads Up!