64 bit Windows, Delphi and ADO (dbgo)

Hi,
Sorry if this appears as a stupid question as I partially looked into this
some time back and over time this has all become a bit blurred.

We have an application that connects to SQL Server / Oracle via ADO.  I
don't have a 64 bit Windows box to test on but would like to know the
following ...

Generally speaking I know that 32 bit applications can run on a 64 bit
Windows box.
What happens in the case of ADO?
My understanding is that a 32 bit application can't use a 64 bit driver.
Are equivalent 32 bit ADO drivers also installed on a 64 bit Windows
environment (by default)? (I think they are ... but I'm not sure).

For example - on a Windows 64 bit environment, can a 32 bit application run
and use Microsoft's 32 bit SQL Server driver (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for
SQL Server) to connect to a SQL Server database?

Could someone please set me straight on the above.

Thanks in advance,
Mick.
0
Mick

I think the 32-bit drivers for SQL Server are installed.  I can probably
check for you later today.  I have a Win7/64 test box just for working this
sort of thing out.

As for Oracle, you'll need to install the 32-bit client (we use 10G), making
sure you install all the Windows components.  Make sure you use the full
client CD, not Oracle Lite.  Oracle Lite doesn't include the OLEDB provider.
I found it best to install with the UAC turned off.  For some versions of
the Oracle client, you'll need to make sure any applications that need to
talk to Oracle are not in the Program Files (x86) folder Win7 uses by
default for 32-bit applications.  Some versions of the Oracle client have a
problem with paths containing parentheses.  Your 32-bit Delphi application
will need to run as administrator but probably won't need XP compatibility
mode.  Once you turn the UAC back on, you won't be able to run the Oracle
utilities (like Net Manager, SQL Plus, etc) from the Start menu.  It doesn't
give you the option of running as administrator.  You can either create
desktop shortcuts for these utilities and set them to run as administrator
or turn off the UAC whenever you need to run them.

Ray Porter

"Mick Board" <mick_board@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Sorry if this appears as a stupid question as I partially looked into this
> some time back and over time this has all become a bit blurred.
>
> We have an application that connects to SQL Server / Oracle via ADO.  I
> don't have a 64 bit Windows box to test on but would like to know the
> following ...
>
> Generally speaking I know that 32 bit applications can run on a 64 bit
> Windows box.
> What happens in the case of ADO?
> My understanding is that a 32 bit application can't use a 64 bit driver.
> Are equivalent 32 bit ADO drivers also installed on a 64 bit Windows
> environment (by default)? (I think they are ... but I'm not sure).
>
> For example - on a Windows 64 bit environment, can a 32 bit application
> run and use Microsoft's 32 bit SQL Server driver (Microsoft OLE DB
> Provider for SQL Server) to connect to a SQL Server database?
>
> Could someone please set me straight on the above.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mick.
0
Lester
6/2/2010 10:55:23 AM
> My understanding is that a 32 bit application can't use a 64 bit driver.
> Are equivalent 32 bit ADO drivers also installed on a 64 bit Windows
> environment (by default)?

Yes they are installed by default (I mean 32 bit MDAC with 64 bit Windows 7). Just install the required OLEDB providers (Oracle, etc) and you are done!
32 bit Delphi ADO DB applications run just fine in 64 bit Windows! :-)

Best regards.
0
Alexandre
6/2/2010 12:29:12 PM
Thanks Ray,
You've set me straight and re-jogged my memory.

I had looked into Oracle a while back but had a slightly different problem
with a different application for a specific client.  This other application
was to run as a service on the Oracle Server itself which was 64 bit with 64
bit Oracle Database installed.  This appeared to be all too hard (we didn't
try mixing multiple Oracle clients).

However, for the application I'm thinking of at the moment (which is
traditional client / server), it should work on 64 bit desktop machines
which is what I suspected ... but couldn't quite put my finger on.

Thanks for setting me straight.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Mick.

"Lester Ray Porter" <ray_porter@unc.edu> wrote in message
>I think the 32-bit drivers for SQL Server are installed.  I can probably
>check for you later today.  I have a Win7/64 test box just for working this
>sort of thing out.
>
> As for Oracle, you'll need to install the 32-bit client (we use 10G),
> making sure you install all the Windows components.  Make sure you use the
> full client CD, not Oracle Lite.  Oracle Lite doesn't include the OLEDB
> provider. I found it best to install with the UAC turned off.  For some
> versions of the Oracle client, you'll need to make sure any applications
> that need to talk to Oracle are not in the Program Files (x86) folder Win7
> uses by default for 32-bit applications.  Some versions of the Oracle
> client have a problem with paths containing parentheses.  Your 32-bit
> Delphi application will need to run as administrator but probably won't
> need XP compatibility mode.  Once you turn the UAC back on, you won't be
> able to run the Oracle utilities (like Net Manager, SQL Plus, etc) from
> the Start menu.  It doesn't give you the option of running as
> administrator.  You can either create desktop shortcuts for these
> utilities and set them to run as administrator or turn off the UAC
> whenever you need to run them.
>
> Ray Porter
>
> "Mick Board" <mick_board@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Sorry if this appears as a stupid question as I partially looked into
>> this some time back and over time this has all become a bit blurred.
>>
>> We have an application that connects to SQL Server / Oracle via ADO.  I
>> don't have a 64 bit Windows box to test on but would like to know the
>> following ...
>>
>> Generally speaking I know that 32 bit applications can run on a 64 bit
>> Windows box.
>> What happens in the case of ADO?
>> My understanding is that a 32 bit application can't use a 64 bit driver.
>> Are equivalent 32 bit ADO drivers also installed on a 64 bit Windows
>> environment (by default)? (I think they are ... but I'm not sure).
>>
>> For example - on a Windows 64 bit environment, can a 32 bit application
>> run and use Microsoft's 32 bit SQL Server driver (Microsoft OLE DB
>> Provider for SQL Server) to connect to a SQL Server database?
>>
>> Could someone please set me straight on the above.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Mick.
0
Mick
6/2/2010 10:59:55 PM
Alexandre - thank you very much for confirming.  This helps a lot!  :-)

I thought this was the case (I had started to look into this once before
quite a while back) but couldn't quite remember.

Thanks again,
Mick.
0
Mick
6/2/2010 11:02:46 PM
Am Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:08:00 -0700 schrieb Mick Board:
> For example - on a Windows 64 bit environment, can a 32 bit application run
> and use Microsoft's 32 bit SQL Server driver (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for
> SQL Server) to connect to a SQL Server database?

I develop and run my Delphi 7 applications on on XP 32Bit and on Win 7
64Bit with ADO and MSSQL 2005/2008 without problems, but while i can use
MDAC and also the sql native client on XP 32Bit, on Win7 64Bit it only
works with MDAC. I think this is because you can't install a 32Bit-version
from sql native client on a 64Bit OS and 64Bit-Version is not compatible
with a 32Bit-Delphi-Program.

bye,
Helmut
0
Utf
6/3/2010 4:00:55 PM
"Helmut Wöss" <user22@inode.at> wrote in message
> Am Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:08:00 -0700 schrieb Mick Board:
>> For example - on a Windows 64 bit environment, can a 32 bit application
>> run
>> and use Microsoft's 32 bit SQL Server driver (Microsoft OLE DB Provider
>> for
>> SQL Server) to connect to a SQL Server database?
>
> I develop and run my Delphi 7 applications on on XP 32Bit and on Win 7
> 64Bit with ADO and MSSQL 2005/2008 without problems, but while i can use
> MDAC and also the sql native client on XP 32Bit, on Win7 64Bit it only
> works with MDAC. I think this is because you can't install a 32Bit-version
> from sql native client on a 64Bit OS and 64Bit-Version is not compatible
> with a 32Bit-Delphi-Program.
>
> bye,
> Helmut

Thanks Helmut.  This makes sense.

Kind Regards,
Mick.
0
Mick

64 bit Windows, Delphi and ADO (dbgo) #2
Hi, Sorry if this appears as a stupid question as I partially looked into this some time back and over time this has all become a bit blurred. We have an application that connects to SQL Server / Oracle via ADO. I don't have a 64 bit Windows box to test on but would like to know the following ... Generally speaking I know that 32 bit applications can run on a 64 bit Windows box. What happens in the case of a 32 bit application that uses ADO? My understanding is that a 32 bit application can't use a 64 bit driver. Are equivalent 32 bit ADO drivers also installed on a 64...

Delphi 64 bit / Future Direction of Delphi
I am responding to the various requests for 64 bit and the discussion about the future direction of Delphi. I have a small company - we write software for new and used auto dealerships - sales and finance - coming out with accounting now and parts and service in the next few years. Our customers don't care about 32 bit vs 64 bit, etc. They want me to provide simple and convenient solutions to make their jobs easier. We have stuck with Delphi 5 for many years - I should have upgraded 5 years ago but it did the job. We are now in the early stages of a significant up...

Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010 upgrade and ADO

Delphi 64 Bit released just in time for Windows to be 128 Bit ...
Ok - the title is a little provocative - but it might be close ;) This link is to an article the claims that the next Windows version will be 128 Bit. Which would be Win8 - and if not that version then definitely Win 9. http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/10/microsoft-mulling-128-bit-versions-of-windows-8-windows-9.ars I realize that Delphi 64 bit should be out this year (or so I hope!) - and that the next windows is a few years away - but I hope the folks at Emb. are already planning for the 128 version when they do the 64 bit version... Bradley MacDonald brad_AT_tim...

Occasional errors with 32-bit Delphi 7 application on Windows 7 64-bit
Hi, I have a 32-bit Delphi 7 application which was deployed on some machines with Windows 7 64-bit. The application occasionally displays errors such as: "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" or "Error reading Label24.Font.Ch: Property Ch does not exist" (here the name "Charset" was apparently truncated to "Ch") I checked how those properties are declared on the form where the errors occurred, and all seems ok: - First form (where "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" occurs): ...

dbGO ADO support for 64 Bit
For many years we used Delphi 5 and BDE to connect to MsSql server databases. This worked great since '99... Over the last few years we have been migrating to newer versions of Delphi and away from BDE. Currently we use Delphi 2007 and dbGo ADO components with ODBC with great success. However, some of our customer databases are getting very large (1-5 Gig) and it would be great to access the memory regions above 4GB using 64 bit access. We have been unable to get dbGo ADO to work with 64 bit ODBC. Has anyone heard of an alternative? Do we need to wait for a magical &q...

Delphi App in 64-bit Windows
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_347d9.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Attached is the screen shot when I close the app --JivePart=_347d9.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl-- ...

Delphi App in 64-bit Windows
I have created a 32-bit app that runs and closes fine when run in a 32-bit environment. When I run this same app in Windows-7 64-bit I get a run time error when I close it. Is this known about as a general problem? Secondly If I want to install Delphi 2010 on this 64-bit Windows-7 computer, am I to expect any problems or will it just run as a standard 32-bit application? Regards Graham Am 19.02.2010 14:28, schrieb Graham Powell: > I have created a 32-bit app that runs and closes fine when run in a 32-bit environment. When I run this same app in Windows-7 64-bit I get a run time ...

Ado dlls and windows 2008 64 bit
We are planning to start using windows 2008 64 bit. Do the ado dlls run fine on windows 2008 64 bit? Thanks Hi GG, There's a 64 bit version of SDK 15.0 and 15.5. I believe on new ASE software, they are included in the PCClient software. The installation creates folders under %SYBASE% as DataAccess64 [all drivers here are Winx64] and DataAccess [all here are Winx86] Thank you, -Paul <GG> wrote in message news:4b68a9b2.444.1681692777@sybase.com... > We are planning to start using windows 2008 64 bit. Do the > ado dlls run fine on windows 2008 64 bi...

Windows 7 - 64 bits
Hello! I know that this is probably not a Delphi issue, but I ask, just in case... perhaps someone had a similar problem... I use D2007, Firebird 2.5 and IBX components, and ClientDatasets (I know IBX doesn't support FB, but I just use it in a very simple way, so there's no problem with that - I think) A customer of mine has this problem: Using Windows 7 64 bits, when he deletes a record in a table the PC hungs completely. The mouse, the keyboard... everything. He has to turn the PC off. I'm sorry I have not more details about the problem. The question is: is t...

Delphi 4 and later on Window-7/64-bit
Folks, I have to install Delphi 4, 5, 2007 and 2009 on Windows-7, 64-bit. I'm aware of the need to install outside the \Program Files\ directory (but including the "common" files or not?), but I do wonder whether any of these versions may include a 16-bit installer, which doesn't run under Windows-64? Thanks for any other advice. David > {quote:title=David Taylor wrote:}{quote} > I have to install Delphi 4, 5, 2007 and 2009 on Windows-7, 64-bit. I'm > aware of the need to install outside the \Program Files\ directory (but > including th...

Windows 7 and Delphi 7, 32 or 64 bit?
I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7). I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7. My question now is: Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7? This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64. I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64..... Bo ...

Web resources about - 64 bit Windows, Delphi and ADO (dbgo) - embarcadero.delphi.ado

The Windows Blog

Teenager saw someone watching through her bathroom window
Detectives are investigating a report of a peeping Tom in Melbourne's north-east after a teenage girl saw someone outside her bathroom window. ...

Cammeray death: Man dies after allegedly being ‘pushed’ from window - DailyTelegraph Search Search
POLICE have launched a murder investigation into the death of a 44-year-old man who fell to his death from a eighth-floor unit in Sydney’s north ...

Cammeray death: Man dies after allegedly being ‘pushed’ from window
POLICE have launched a murder investigation into the death of a 44-year-old man who fell to his death from a eighth-floor unit in Sydney’s north ...

Windows 10 on Mac: Boot Camp vs Parallels
If you want to run Windows 10 on a Mac there are really only two options worth considering: a native install using Boot Camp or virtualization ...

Street View gives you a window into climate change
... our changing climate, we want to take this opportunity to show you how to explore its impact yourself. With Street View, you can get a window ...

EXCLUSIVE: Calais Trucker’s Close Brush With Death as Migrants Hurl WOODEN STAKE Through Cab Window
A Czech driver passing through Calais has narrowly avoided being killed by immigrants when they hurled a long wooden stake through the window ...

Woman, 80, breaks window to try to free husband from fire
Texas woman focused on saving husband after escaping from house on fire