64 bit Windows, Delphi and ADO (dbgo) #2

Hi,
Sorry if this appears as a stupid question as I partially looked into this
some time back and over time this has all become a bit blurred.

We have an application that connects to SQL Server / Oracle via ADO.  I
don't have a 64 bit Windows box to test on but would like to know the
following ...

Generally speaking I know that 32 bit applications can run on a 64 bit
Windows box.
What happens in the case of a 32 bit application that uses ADO?

My understanding is that a 32 bit application can't use a 64 bit driver.
Are equivalent 32 bit ADO drivers also installed on a 64 bit Windows
environment (by default)? (I think they are ... but I'm not sure).

For example - on a Windows 64 bit environment, can a 32 bit application run
and use Microsoft's 32 bit SQL Server driver (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for
SQL Server) to connect to a SQL Server database?

Could someone please set me straight on the above.

Thanks in advance,
Mick.
0
Mick

64 bit Windows, Delphi and ADO (dbgo)
Hi, Sorry if this appears as a stupid question as I partially looked into this some time back and over time this has all become a bit blurred. We have an application that connects to SQL Server / Oracle via ADO. I don't have a 64 bit Windows box to test on but would like to know the following ... Generally speaking I know that 32 bit applications can run on a 64 bit Windows box. What happens in the case of ADO? My understanding is that a 32 bit application can't use a 64 bit driver. Are equivalent 32 bit ADO drivers also installed on a 64 bit Windows environment (...

Delphi 64 bit / Future Direction of Delphi
I am responding to the various requests for 64 bit and the discussion about the future direction of Delphi. I have a small company - we write software for new and used auto dealerships - sales and finance - coming out with accounting now and parts and service in the next few years. Our customers don't care about 32 bit vs 64 bit, etc. They want me to provide simple and convenient solutions to make their jobs easier. We have stuck with Delphi 5 for many years - I should have upgraded 5 years ago but it did the job. We are now in the early stages of a significant up...

Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010 upgrade and ADO

Delphi 64 Bit released just in time for Windows to be 128 Bit ...
Ok - the title is a little provocative - but it might be close ;) This link is to an article the claims that the next Windows version will be 128 Bit. Which would be Win8 - and if not that version then definitely Win 9. http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/10/microsoft-mulling-128-bit-versions-of-windows-8-windows-9.ars I realize that Delphi 64 bit should be out this year (or so I hope!) - and that the next windows is a few years away - but I hope the folks at Emb. are already planning for the 128 version when they do the 64 bit version... Bradley MacDonald brad_AT_tim...

Occasional errors with 32-bit Delphi 7 application on Windows 7 64-bit
Hi, I have a 32-bit Delphi 7 application which was deployed on some machines with Windows 7 64-bit. The application occasionally displays errors such as: "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" or "Error reading Label24.Font.Ch: Property Ch does not exist" (here the name "Charset" was apparently truncated to "Ch") I checked how those properties are declared on the form where the errors occurred, and all seems ok: - First form (where "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" occurs): ...

Delphi App in 64-bit Windows
I have created a 32-bit app that runs and closes fine when run in a 32-bit environment. When I run this same app in Windows-7 64-bit I get a run time error when I close it. Is this known about as a general problem? Secondly If I want to install Delphi 2010 on this 64-bit Windows-7 computer, am I to expect any problems or will it just run as a standard 32-bit application? Regards Graham Am 19.02.2010 14:28, schrieb Graham Powell: > I have created a 32-bit app that runs and closes fine when run in a 32-bit environment. When I run this same app in Windows-7 64-bit I get a run time ...

dbGO ADO support for 64 Bit
For many years we used Delphi 5 and BDE to connect to MsSql server databases. This worked great since '99... Over the last few years we have been migrating to newer versions of Delphi and away from BDE. Currently we use Delphi 2007 and dbGo ADO components with ODBC with great success. However, some of our customer databases are getting very large (1-5 Gig) and it would be great to access the memory regions above 4GB using 64 bit access. We have been unable to get dbGo ADO to work with 64 bit ODBC. Has anyone heard of an alternative? Do we need to wait for a magical &q...

Delphi App in 64-bit Windows
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_347d9.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Attached is the screen shot when I close the app --JivePart=_347d9.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl-- ...

Probable Stupid Question: Using 64-bit Code on 64-bit Processors running 32-bit Windows... #2
Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to do 64-bit processing (probably by writing some assembly language code) when running on a 64-bit CPU under 32-bit Windows? As near as I can tell, one has to develop all 64-bit code on a 64-bit machine running 64-bit windows and the target machines for 64-bit code have to be 64-bit machines running 64-bit windows. What might be useful, if it is possible, would be being able to detect a 64-bit processor when running 32-bit windows and take advantage of that to speed up some calculations. DanH Dan Hale wrote: > Does anyone k...

Ado dlls and windows 2008 64 bit
We are planning to start using windows 2008 64 bit. Do the ado dlls run fine on windows 2008 64 bit? Thanks Hi GG, There's a 64 bit version of SDK 15.0 and 15.5. I believe on new ASE software, they are included in the PCClient software. The installation creates folders under %SYBASE% as DataAccess64 [all drivers here are Winx64] and DataAccess [all here are Winx86] Thank you, -Paul <GG> wrote in message news:4b68a9b2.444.1681692777@sybase.com... > We are planning to start using windows 2008 64 bit. Do the > ado dlls run fine on windows 2008 64 bi...

Windows 7 - 64 bits
Hello! I know that this is probably not a Delphi issue, but I ask, just in case... perhaps someone had a similar problem... I use D2007, Firebird 2.5 and IBX components, and ClientDatasets (I know IBX doesn't support FB, but I just use it in a very simple way, so there's no problem with that - I think) A customer of mine has this problem: Using Windows 7 64 bits, when he deletes a record in a table the PC hungs completely. The mouse, the keyboard... everything. He has to turn the PC off. I'm sorry I have not more details about the problem. The question is: is t...

Can I install the 32-bit versions of ASP.NET 1.1 and the 64-bit version of ASP.NET 2.0 on a 64-bit version of Windows?
I have installed • The .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package x64 (64 Bit) • The .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable on my Windows Server 2003 x64 edition and then, I have run cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1 and %SYSTEMROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i to enable .net framework 1.1,but the IIS will disabled the .net framework 2.0. Anyone who can tell me how to enable the both .net framework above at the SAME time instead of SWITCH. Th...

Web resources about - 64 bit Windows, Delphi and ADO (dbgo) #2 - embarcadero.delphi.ado

The Windows Blog

Microsoft To Only Support New Processors On Windows 10
... support news out of Redmond is particularly surprising. Intel launched it’s 6 th generation Skylake cores back in August, and support on Windows ...

Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10
... die shot. (credit: Intel) If you own a system with an Intel 6th generation Core processor—more memorably known as Skylake—and run Windows 7 ...

Microsoft gets aggressive after 18 months nextgen CPUs like Skylake will only support Windows 10
Microsoft's aggressive pushing of Windows 10 is becoming legendary, with everything from irritating nag screens, to automatic downloading of ...

The best ways to run Windows apps on your Mac without installing Windows
In 2016, you can do pretty much everything on a Mac that you can do on a Windows PC . But if there are Windows applications that you desperately ...

Microsoft's plan to get iOS apps on Windows is moving forward
Microsoft's plan to get iOS apps onto Windows, codenamed "Project Islandwood," is moving forward, according to a report from ZDNet . Project ...

IDG Contributor Network: Here’s why a jaw-dropping 200 million devices run Microsoft Windows 10
200 million devices are now running Windows 10 all over the world , or almost two-thirds of the entire U.S. population. It’s a bit surprising, ...

Microsofts preps Windows 10 updates for Lumia phones
After Microsoft delayed the release of Windows 10 for Windows Phone 8.1 handsets, there are signs that it's finally ready to roll. The software ...