Access to legacy (Delphi 4) Midas server from Delphi XE2

Hello,

My company biggest product is developped with Delphi 4 and uses several Midas servers. It's a really big application (still in evolution, since 1997) , that has been started with Delphi 3.
A partial or complete rewrite of this application is planned in a mid term future, and I must study if we can envisage a soft migration of some parts of the software on Delphi XE2 (or XE4), or if a complete rewrite even of the servers parts is required.

If a complete rewrite must be done, my boss doesn't exclude to study the possibility of using another development environment to rewrite it.

*In appearance* several things look close between Midas and Datasnap : TClientDataset looks very similar on both versions , and so does TSocketConnection/TDComConnection and TMidasConnection.
So I made some test from XE2 , but unfortunately, TClientDataSet returns 'Member not found' when activated by code (and so does opening ProviderName combo property in Designer) .

So I wonder that if, beyond appearance , things are compatible under the hood , or if accessing old Midas server from a "modern" Delphi client is hard or impossible to perform.

Ty by advance for your suggestions
0
Olivier
7/24/2013 3:03:55 PM
embarcadero.datasnap 643 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On 24.07.2013 17:03, Olivier SCHWAB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My company biggest product is developped with Delphi 4 and uses several Midas servers. It's a really big application (still in evolution, since 1997) , that has been started with Delphi 3.
> A partial or complete rewrite of this application is planned in a mid term future, and I must study if we can envisage a soft migration of some parts of the software on Delphi XE2 (or XE4), or if a complete rewrite even of the servers parts is required.
>
> If a complete rewrite must be done, my boss doesn't exclude to study the possibility of using another development environment to rewrite it.
>
> *In appearance* several things look close between Midas and Datasnap : TClientDataset looks very similar on both versions , and so does TSocketConnection/TDComConnection and TMidasConnection.
> So I made some test from XE2 , but unfortunately, TClientDataSet returns 'Member not found' when activated by code (and so does opening ProviderName combo property in Designer) .
>
> So I wonder that if, beyond appearance , things are compatible under the hood , or if accessing old Midas server from a "modern" Delphi client is hard or impossible to perform.
>

> Ty by advance for your suggestions

I think it is highly difficult to answer your question since you say
about nothing about what you really tries.

Midas is still a kernel in Datasnap, but maybe rewritten since things
aren't COM anymore but based on Indy.

I would think your problem is having excess code that could be simpply
deleted becase datasnap do your work.

tSocketonnection and tMidasConnection is not needed to get Datasnap
server to function.

Start with the demos of Pawel Glowacki on the Embarcadero.com

http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-in-action/delphi-labs

Put aside a few days to study the demos and repeat them with another
simple proect.

In case you have Architect edition of Delphi XE4, also try to model your
sketches using both Class diagrams (which is available also in Pro
edition, but also all the other 8  UML models, of which maybe Activity
diagram is most important as there you may model different threads as
flow lanes and draw signalling btw them to keep them synched. Like using
semaohores btw them.

A suggestion, for each earlier midas servers, make two projects of a
datasnap server, one VCL project and one service project and share the
server method btw the projects but keep separate server containers .

Use the VCL version for debugging, but I find it most easy to develop
clients when  the server is running as a service. If I need to change
the service later, just stop the service, compile and start again.

In case error in server, debug using the VCL version.

With all the simplifications, I would think the datasnap server method
is far simpler to rewrite your clients than rewwriting everything.

Most possible is it that all code using the tClientDatasets don't need
to be touched.

If you use dbExpress in datasnap server and Oracle and stored procedures
as database. there is perhaps a bug in tSQLStoredProc when the stored
procedures contain IN Integer or IN Number parameters, at least in XE2
those are imported as ftFMTBcd which give a failure when your method
tries to contact.

In case this fails also in XE4 (at least, it fails in XE2), make new
interface procedure with 'IN String' instead and use To_number function
to convert the strings to integers before calling original stored procedure.

--
Delphi programmer at Dep.of Nutrition research, Faculty of Medicine,
University of Oslo, Norway

Thanks a lot for your answer !

Reading your post I see that I explained badly what are my current requirements.
I'll try to be more precise in this post :

My company biggest application is made in Delphi 4 and uses Midas server. Other software are developped,  some tools, mainly in Delphi 6 , and some other applications in XE2. These applications doesn't need access to the Midas Server.

Now we're facing this case :

- the big application must evolve. But it's a VERY HUGE work
- my XE2 application needs to access some data , and the easier would be to access to Midas Server  (filling a grid from a provider through tclientdataset, and calling midas methods)
- IF we can call the Midas server from XE2 , it would allow my company to perform a gradual migration of its big application, instead of a complete rewrite :  we could migrate clients and servers from Delphi 4 to XE (XE2 or XE4) step by step, and continue to give some versions  to customers, instead of making a big jump : one day all in D4 ; the  next day all in XE2.

I hope I explained correctly the problematic this time.

Rgds,

> [...]
> is far simpler to rewrite your clients than rewwriting everything.
>
> Most possible is it that all code using the tClientDatasets don't need
> to be touched.
>
> If you use dbExpress in datasnap server and Oracle and stored procedures
> as database. there is perhaps a bug in tSQLStoredProc when the stored
> procedures contain IN Integer or IN Number parameters, at least in XE2
> those are imported as ftFMTBcd which give a failure when your method
> tries to contact.
>
> In case this fails also in XE4 (at least, it fails in XE2), make new
> interface procedure with 'IN String' instead and use To_number function
> to convert the strings to integers before calling original stored procedure.
>
> --
> Delphi programmer at Dep.of Nutrition research, Faculty of Medicine,
0
Olivier
7/29/2013 1:21:21 PM
On 29.07.2013 15:21, Olivier SCHWAB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer !
>
> Reading your post I see that I explained badly what are my current requirements.
> I'll try to be more precise in this post :
>

> My company biggest application is made in Delphi 4 and uses Midas server. Other software are developped,  some tools, mainly in Delphi 6 , and some other applications in XE2. These applications doesn't need access to the Midas Server.
>
> Now we're facing this case :
>
> - the big application must evolve. But it's a VERY HUGE work
> - my XE2 application needs to access some data , and the easier would be to access to Midas Server  (filling a grid from a provider through tclientdataset, and calling midas methods)
> - IF we can call the Midas server from XE2 , it would allow my company to perform a gradual migration of its big application, instead of a complete rewrite :  we could migrate clients and servers from Delphi 4 to XE (XE2 or XE4) step by step, and continue to give some versions  to customers, instead of making a big jump : one day all in D4 ; the  next day all in XE2.
>
> I hope I explained correctly the problematic this time.

There is at least one problem here.
In Delphi 4 (eg. Delphi 2007 and earlier, you did use Ansi strings as
default strings
Delphi 2009 and upwards use Unicode strings.

So maybe delphi 2007 is the latest version you can use without
rebuilding all strings.

On the other hand, I would believe almost all logic based on the
tClientDataset should work equally if you change base to Datasnap.

But if the server kernel is 95% of code, then of course you would face
lot of problems.

Maybe modelling analysis using reverse engineering with Modelmaker could
give you an insight i what to do and where to do the needed work?

For the rest of questions, others need ot answer since I haven't used
midas except indirectly thrugh Datasnap

By the way, it is a good idea to declared Modaslib in uses clause.

Do a search for Delphi midas x2 for more tips.

--
Delphi programmer at Dep.of Nutrition research, Faculty of Medicine,
University of Oslo, Norway
0
Alf
7/29/2013 3:25:06 PM
OK, I missed the AnsiString<->Unicode string point, and finallly I understand why i received the "Member not found" problem on my tests : even the provider name might not be decoded correctly by the Midas server.

Then I must prepare psychologically everybody here for a one-step rewrite ...
I hope I'll be able to prove that we can rather quickly migrate server in XE2/XE4  , to keep Delphi in the place , and avoid replacement by C#/ASP/Rest...

Ty for your answers , Mr Christophersen

> {quote:title=Alf Christophersen wrote:}{quote}
> On 29.07.2013 15:21, Olivier SCHWAB wrote:
>
> There is at least one problem here.
> In Delphi 4 (eg. Delphi 2007 and earlier, you did use Ansi strings as
> default strings
> Delphi 2009 and upwards use Unicode strings.
>
> So maybe delphi 2007 is the latest version you can use without
> rebuilding all strings.
>
> On the other hand, I would believe almost all logic based on the
> tClientDataset should work equally if you change base to Datasnap.
>
> But if the server kernel is 95% of code, then of course you would face
> lot of problems.
>
> Maybe modelling analysis using reverse engineering with Modelmaker could
> give you an insight i what to do and where to do the needed work?
>
> For the rest of questions, others need ot answer since I haven't used
> midas except indirectly thrugh Datasnap
>
> By the way, it is a good idea to declared Modaslib in uses clause.
>
> Do a search for Delphi midas x2 for more tips.
>

> --
> Delphi programmer at Dep.of Nutrition research, Faculty of Medicine,
> University of Oslo, Norway
0
Olivier
7/30/2013 8:06:17 AM
> {quote:title=Olivier SCHWAB wrote:}{quote}
> OK, I missed the AnsiString<->Unicode string point, and finallly I understand why i received the "Member not found" problem on my tests : even the provider name might not be decoded correctly by the Midas server.
>
> Then I must prepare psychologically everybody here for a one-step rewrite ...
> I hope I'll be able to prove that we can rather quickly migrate server in XE2/XE4  , to keep Delphi in the place , and avoid replacement by C#/ASP/Rest...

I have a suggestion for you to join the webinar on thursday, http://forms.embarcadero.com/GL13Q3ENWebinarDeveloperDirect?cid=701G0000000WLhl, in order to catch up on how to make a datasnap server and use that in Mac and iPhone platforms, which is a new possibility for platform for your project.

Then you also may ask questions on how to migrate most easily.

> Ty for your answers , Mr Christophersen

My pleasure to help.
0
Alf

Access to legacy (Delphi 4) Midas server from Delphi XE2 [Edit]
Hello, My company biggest product is developped with Delphi 4 and uses several Midas servers. It's a really big application (still in evolution, since 1997) , that has been started with Delphi 3. A partial or complete rewrite of this application is planned in a mid term future, and I must study if we can envisage a soft migration of some parts of the software on Delphi XE2 (or XE4), or if a complete rewrite even of the servers parts is required. If a complete rewrite must be done, my boss doesn't exclude to study the possibility of using another development environment to rewri...

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi XE2 DataSnap Server
I'm building an XE2 DataSnap server which will serve connections from REST clients. My DSServerClass LifeCycle property is set to 'Invocation'. What I want to do is to log the details of all client connections to the server, including the following details : username, IP address, protocol, application name. I can currently get these details using the following events : DSAuthenticationManager - UserAuthenticate() : username, protocol (using the standard parameters passed in) DSServer - Connect() : protocol, IP address, application name (using DSConnectEventObject.ChannelInfo.ClientInfo) What I want to do is just log once for all details, but it seems I can't get all the details I need in one event. I tried using a shared private variable in the class but as expected this gave inconsistent results - the wrong IP address against the wrong username. Is there another way to achieve what I want? Thanks, Jonathan Managed to solve this by accessing the username in the DSServer Connect event as follows : Session := TDSSessionManager.GetThreadSession; User := Session.UserName; Jonathan ...

Delphi XE2 and C++Builder XE2 Update 4
Hi How do I get hold of XE2 update 4 without downloading the entire 2.5 gig iso which would mean uninstalling my current XE2. Please direct me to the isolated update 4. Many Thanks Peter wrote: > How do I get hold of XE2 update 4 without downloading the entire 2.5 > gig iso which would mean uninstalling my current XE2. You don't. And if you read the release note, you are REQUIRED to uninstall your current XE2 http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/Release_Notes_for_XE2_Update_4 {quote} Delphi and C++Builder XE2 Update 4 is a full inline update that requ...

Delphi XE2 (Update 4) and Fast Report 4.14
While starting Delphi XE2 (Update 4) - exact version: 16.0.4429.46931 and opening any project I get some errors connected with FastReport. It says that some packages cannot be found, although they do exist in proper path: <Documents>\RadStudio\9.0\Bpl\Win64\fxTee16.bpl FastReport\FastScript\LibD16\dclfmxfsado16.bpl FastReport\FastScript\LibD16\dclfmxfsDB16.bpl FastReport\FastScript\LibD16\dclfmxfsibx16.bpl FastReport\FastScript\LibD16\dclfmxfstee16.bpl FastReport\FastScript\LibD16\dclfmxfs16.bpl Of course these files exist in the paths ...

Delphi XE2 and C++Builder XE2 ISO (includes Update 4)
Is "Delphi XE2 and C++Builder XE2 ISO (includes Update 4)" the ISO file that can be used for updating Delphi, or is there a separate (smaller) file with just "the update #4" (not the complete XE2 product) ? Of course, I'd prefer not having to re-install 3rd party components. This "update4" file is 2.5GB, but I can see an older update called "Update 3 for Delphi, C++Builder and RAD Studio XE2" which is just 412MB. I would expect a separate "Update 4" at about the same size. -- Aage J. Aage Johansen wrote: > Is &...

Is GNU Gettext for Delphi compatible with Delphi XE2 ?
The site http://dxgettext.po.dk declare support for Supports for Delphi 5-2009. Thanks in advance lior ilan wrote: > The site http://dxgettext.po.dk declare support for Supports for Delphi > 5-2009. > Thanks in advance It is, if you look in the forums mentioned in that website http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dxgettext/ http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dxgettext/message/3639 Regards Olivier ...

Delphi 7 Pro to Delphi XE2
Hi All I'm porting a project from Delphi 7 Pro to Delphi XE2 and have notice the VersionInfo "Release" and "Build" not being extracted correctly. Should be "1.2.3.4" but is getting "1.2.6150.4567" I'm using the following to extract the VersionInfo and works ok in Delphi 7 but doesnt get the "Release" and "Build" info when used in Delphi XE2. function GetVersion : string; { --------------------------------------------------------- Extracts the FileVersion element of the VERSIONINFO structure that Delphi ma...

Delphi XE2 Datasnap Template
I am trying to create a Delphi DataSnap server. When I open the new project templates, I do not see the DataSnap templates that I see in all the tutorials. I only see the WebSnap. I am using updated version of XE2. Am I suppose to download these templates and install? > I am trying to create a Delphi DataSnap server. What version of XE2 are you using? Does it support DataSnap? (not starter, not professional..) > {quote:title=Robert Triest wrote:}{quote} > > I am trying to create a Delphi DataSnap server. > What version of XE2 are you using? > Does it support Da...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Move from Delphi 2009 to Delphi XE2 and now failing
I recently moved from Delphi 2009 to Delphi XE2 (combined with a new computer). The XML that is now created no longer accepted by the webservice. The specific steps I went through were. 1) Delphi 2009 with old pas file. Worked. 2) Delphi XE2 with old pas file. Didn't work. 3) Delphi XE2 with new pas file imported by Delphi XE2. Didn't work. The new pas file has the following lines, but commenting them out doesn't change the XML. { InvRegistry.RegisterParamInfo(TypeInfo(FaCSIADiagnosticInterface), 'Ping', 'Ping_Input', '&...

Delphi XE2 / Datasnap / Firebird
Hello, I have done a win32 Datasnap Server with XE2 I have put DBXFB.dll (win32) in the System32 directory. As i try to to open the SQLConnection with the firebird database on a server (where Delphi XE2 is not installed), i have the message "DBX Error : The driver has not been properly initialized. The client library is missing, isn't properly installed, his version is incorrect, or the driver isn't in the system directory. I have been trying with Firebird 2.5 and 2.1, and with dbxfb.dll in 32b and 64b mode... how could i solve this problem ? Thanks, Simon Hi, I s...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE2 paint order change
Hello all, I have a program here that does some very specific work in the paint handlers and requires that the controls are painted from bottom to top. This worked just fine under Delphi 2007 but now that we have migrated to Delphi XE2, it no longer works. Tracing the paint order, we discovered that there are cases when the bottom most component (the form for instance) is drawn last instead of first, which means that the painting code we do in the program gets a black area for the bottom most control instead of its background. This was observed with D2007 and DXE2 on the same c...

Will Delphi XE2 co-exist with other Delphi versions ?
Can I install it on a machine that's got other Delphi's on it ? Lut Mentz wrote: > Can I install it on a machine that's got other Delphi's on it ? Yes. As far as I know that has always been the case. -- -Mike (TeamB) Lut Mentz wrote: > Can I install it on a machine that's got other Delphi's on it ? Yes -- it has always been the case that the new version co-exists peacefully with all the older ones. -- Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager Gateway Ticketing Systems http://www.gatewayticketing.com > {quote:title=Mike Williams ...

Delphi XE2/DataSnap problem
I have run into a problem that completely mystifies me: An application that worked ok in Delphi XE fails in XE2 in a most peculiar way. A simple SaveToFile for a TComboBox which normally works ok fails if attempted after data transfer using DataSnap callback has been done to the owning module. The data transfer (of a StringList) does not relate to the combobox in any way, The error message is"Exception class $C0000005 with message 'access violation at 0x00000000: read of address 0x00000000". On the net I have found numerous notes of "class $C0000005" errors in XE2 but...

DataSnap in Delphi XE2 Professional
Pardon if this the wrong place to post this... Couldn't find any way to contact Sales (??!) Can DataSnap be purchased separately and utilized with Delphi XE2 Professional, without upgrading to the Enterprise edition? Thanks Polaris Microsystems Owner wrote: > Pardon if this the wrong place to post this... Couldn't find any way > to contact Sales (??!) JFTR, these are a peer support forums/groups, that means that people at Embarcadero don't necessarily read your post(s). Anyway, see: http://www.embarcadero.com/company/contact-sales > Can DataSnap be ...

How to access Delphi 7 & 2009 after purchasing Delphi XE
I have purchased and installed Delphi XE and now I'm unable to find information on how to download previous versions of Delphi, namely Delphi 7 and 2009. Please respond. Regards, SB, L&T Hi sushweta biswas, > I have purchased and installed Delphi XE and now I'm unable to find information on how to download previous versions of Delphi, namely Delphi 7 and 2009. Your reseller should have told you: after registering Delphi XE, you can go to http://www.embarcadero.com/xe-earlier-versions to enter your serial number of Delphi XE as well as your EDN account informati...

Delphi XE2 Translation Manager is crippled compared to Delphi 7
Delphi XE2 Translation Manager enables editing only of the properties that were previously saved to the DFM file. That means only properties that were changed from their default values in the original source language form. So if a TLabel Alignment is taLeftJustify I can't edit or even see its value in the translated form grid editor. Delphi 7 Translation Manager enabled editing and viewing of all the properties of a component included in the form. It also enabled editing properties using the Object inspector. Am I missing some definition in Delphi XE2 to enable all properties ...

DesignIDE package and porting Delphi 7 components to Delphi XE2
HI I am porting components from Delphi7 to Delphi XE2, and started run in problems regarding MaskProp.dcu, some of the components uses this, and is looking for TMaskProperty class. After a lot of browsing on the net i figured out that all these units is packaged in the designide.dcp. So i have the design time component in a package that requires the designide.dcp and then the runtime component package that reguires the designtime package for the component. In the runtime component package i get errors regarding the MaskProp.dcu and the TMaskProperty class. I dont know what to do from ...

converting delphi 2007 code to delphi XE2 -- emptyparam problem
Hi, I am trying to convert my applicantion code from delphi 2007 to delphi XE2 and i got stuck in this error "[DCC Error] ADODB_TLB.pas(4888): E2033 Types of actual and formal var parameters must be identical". This happens when we use emptyparam as an argument in a function that wants an olevariant. Example: function TAcadDatabase.CopyObjects(Objects: OleVariant): OleVariant; begin Result := DefaultInterface.CopyObjects(Objects, EmptyParam, EmptyParam); //this is where we get the ERROR end; The coyobjects function as this signature: " function CopyObjects(Object...

Is there a problem accessing SQLA6 with Delphi 4?
Before we jump into SQLA 6, I would like to find out if there are any problems with SQLA6 and Delphi 4? 1- Can all tables be properly accessed (esp. blob fields)? 2- Besides ODBC can we access now SQLA with SQL native links? 3- Are there any performance improvements? TIA Hallo PKJR schrieb in Nachricht ... >Before we jump into SQLA 6, I would like to find out if there are any >problems with SQLA6 and Delphi 4? >1- Can all tables be properly accessed (esp. blob fields)? Table has problems with blob fields ( cut ~ 400 Byte) TQuery works >2- Besides ODB...

Datasnap (Delphi 2009) server in a Service
Is it possible ? Is it easy ? Where I put the the three magic components ? Thanks. On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 21:09:51 -0700, Christopher Burke wrote: > Is it possible ? Yes > Where I put the the three magic components ? http://dn.codegear.com/article/38587 http://blogs.codegear.com/andreanolanusse/2008/07/21/tiburon-more-about-datasnap/ http://dn.codegear.com/article/38686 -- Marc Rohloff [TeamB] marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com Marc Rohloff wrote: > On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 21:09:51 -0700, Christopher Burke wrote: > >> Is it possible ? > Yes >...

Web resources about - Access to legacy (Delphi 4) Midas server from Delphi XE2 - embarcadero.datasnap

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Australia unlikely to ever gain access to islands in the South China Sea, analyst says
A Chinese analyst says it is doubtful Australia will ever be granted access to newly built islands in the South China Sea.

U.S. judge orders Apple to help FBI access data on San Bernardino gunman’s iPhone 5c
... if it feels that doing so would be “unreasonably burdensome.” In the filing, the court presents several methods that could be taken to access ...

Judge orders Apple to access iPhone belonging to San Bernadino shooter
NBCNews.com Judge orders Apple to access iPhone belonging to San Bernadino shooter [u] Apple Insider A U.S. magistrate judge on Tuesday ordered ...

Apple: White House Says DOJ Only Wants Access to One iPhone, Says Reuters
Via Reuters this afternoon comes an update on the news today that Apple (AAPL) is in a standoff with the U.S. government over creating a supposed ...

ID as a Service solution helps to secure digital access
Identity and access management (IAM) is a growing field, expected to be worth around $18 billion by 2019 according to a recent report . This ...

Should Apple help the FBI access iPhone data?
Legal dispute over access to data on a terrorist's iPhone renews debate over encryption and national security

You Can Now Access Gmail Features Without An @Gmail Address
It’s tough to get people to switch from one email service to another — getting a new email address might be even more annoying than having to ...

Hospital pays $17K ransom to get back access to encrypted files
... Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center issued a statement saying that its systems were restored on Monday, 10 days after malware locked access ...