Editing TValueListEditor cells while other cells are being updated.

I am using RAD Studio 2007. I have an application where I have a custom component derived from a TValueListEditor.

In this application, values in the value column are being programmatically updated all the time, at roughly 10 updates per second. At the same time, the user is able to edit values that aren't being modified this way.

The problem is, when you are editing a cell and another cell's value is changed, it resets the text selection and highlights the entire contents of the value cell. This makes it impossible to type in the value cell. Here is a project that shows what I mean:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tq759a

The first row is always being updated by a TTimer... try typing in the value column of the second row.

So:

1) Ideally, I'd like the user to type while the values continue to be updated. Is there some way to pull this off? Perhaps a way to get the current cursor position and selection bounds in the text of the cell being edited, so they can be saved before another value is updated then restored after? Or any other tricks?

2) It is less ideal, but also acceptable, if I temporarily freeze the updating values as the user is typing... resuming the updates once the user has entered a value in the cell and accepted that value. Is there an event that is triggered when the user begins editing, and another that triggers the user is done?

Thanks,
Jason
0
Jason
10/6/2008 4:57:30 AM
embarcadero.cppbuilder.using 1848 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Updating Excel , cell by cell using VB
Hi there.Firstly , let me start to say that I am new to ASP.NET, ASP.NET for dummies new :)I have created a page with a few dropdown lists and textboxes. I wish to write the information into a existing xls file. After writing the information to the xls file I wish to attach it to a new email message that should popup on the users pc. so the two problems I have yet to get around is:1. Writing the data to the excel file. (not much data, about 10 cells with only UPPERCASE text)2. a way to create the email and attach the xls file to it, keeping in mind that the xls file is on the server.If there...

how to update call of grid view by double clicking it ,i want update cell value to database by double clicking it,i want only that cell to be update
I am displaying the grid view with some minibars data now i want to update the status of each minibar(LOCK/UNLOCK) to database by clicking on cell(contains image) of grid How can i do that?SuyogI am just using my free time,but if it helps you then my mark my post as answer Minibars?  Like how many of the little vodkas are left in room 216?  :) Make your image an ImageButton instead and you can write a handler for your OnClick.  You can get the row reference of the cell through reflection.  I love to display the non-secure items...Charlie Asbor...

Making a cell editable on clicking the cell
Hi, I am trying to make a cell editable as soon as the user clicks on that particular cell in the .net data grid. Usually, the way we do is, we click the edit button and the cells become editable and two buttons(Update and Cancel) appear. Instead I would like to make this possible without even clicking on the Edit button. There will be only one button (Save) to save the changes done on the grid. Is there any way to do it ? I hope I am clear. Thanks in advance. Prasad P Take a look at the following article, which shows how you can hightlight the row by clicking anywhere in the ro...

Update on another cell when the cell value is changed??
Hi, I am using SqlCommandbuilder for insert/update automatically to the database. How to have a calculation on another cell after the cell is changed? For example, when user changes or enter Food_Count value, I need the Food_Amount columns to be changed in database automatically: Food_Amount = Food_Count * 0.8 How to do it? ---------------------------------------- Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click builder = New SqlCommandBuilder Dim DBstrQ As New SqlCommand("", conDWDb) DBstrQ.CommandText = "SELECT Bus_Date AS Bus_Da...

Infragistics WebGrid-cell Edit and Image Click of the cell
This post was edited by moderator XIII: Please read this article: How to post on forums. Hello, We are devloping web application with Asp.Net, C#, and Infragistics NetAdvantage Vol 2 suite for webgrid. If anybody have workd with Infragistics webgrid, Please help me out here!! Coming to my problem, I want the cell of grid to enter or edit with one image at the right hand corner of the cell. so When i click on the cell, it should allow me to edit or enter the data. And when i click on the image of the cell, it should call a another page which will cotain the data in table. But wh...

Edit the cell text by clicking in the cell in datagrid control
Sir,In asp.net 2.0 application, I want to edit the cell text by clicking in the cell in datagrid control. By EditItemTemplate it is possible to edit the cell text but for that we need to click on Edit button and after edit we need to click on Update button. But this way is not accepted. Is it possible in datagrid (possibly without activex control) to click in cell and edit the value and click out of the cell to update just like windows application grid?I did not find any article on web related to this.Please help me.Thanks in advance.    &nbs...

How to make Tree/Table Cell Editable by Tabbing into Cell?
Hi, I need to make Tree/Table Cell Editable by Tabbing into the Cell, rather than the lengthy double-click. Googling did not provide any helpful results, is there a way to do it for example in Javascript, or better, with a xul attribute? Thanks Milan ...

Is there really an easy way to click and edit a cell value at run time (without having to click on Edit and Update links) in GridView?
 Link for an answer is broken. Anyway I want know just that. RegardsLeif  I'm talking with absolutely no knowledge, but why not to trigger "onblur" event in the client textbox and forward it to whatever the edit-and-update links go?...

Gridview
Hello Everyone!  .NET 2.0, VS 2005 Pro I am trying to update a cell in a gridview row based on the value of another cell on the same row.  No luck so far... I have a gridview that contains three template columns, with Edit & Delete buttons.  All ITEM templates are labels.  The first EDIT template column is a dropdownlist, and the next two are text boxes.  I want to update one of the cells in the row based on the selection from the dropdown list.  For example, if the selected value in the dropdownlist is "URGENT:" then I want the value ...

Updating Gridview cell at Edit Event
I need to update a gridview cell when the gridview enters Edit mode.This is what I have now.    Protected Sub GridView2_RowEditing(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewEditEventArgs) Handles GridView2.RowEditing        lblSession.Text = DirectCast(((GridView2.Rows(GridView2.EditIndex).Cells(1).FindControl("dbModifiedBy"))), TextBox).Text    End SubAnd gives this error.    Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.These ar...

Using ADODB to Update Excel cells.
Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click Dim cnt As New ADODB.Connection() Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset() cnt.Open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _ "Data Source=c:\timmy\test.xls" & _ ";Extended Properties='Excel 8.0;HDR=YES'") rst.Open("Select * FROM [Sheet1$]", cnt, ADODB.CursorTypeEnum.adOpenDynamic, ADODB.LockTypeEnum.adLockOptimistic, -1) If Not rst.EOF Then ...

Accessing the value of cells within a Gridview without using the Cell Index
I have some code which works fine but I'm sure there's a better way to do it can anybody help. Within the event GridView1_RowDataBound(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e) I'm setting the text of individual cells using their hard coded cell index i.e.    e.Row.Cells[6].Text =" test"; There are obvious flaws with this method, so is there a way I can reference the cell by the column heading. e.g. if column [6] had heading of "Test Column" is there anyway I can use this to set the text. This way if the column order is changed at a later date my code will still work ...

Walk through specific cells in DataGrid -- Get cell contents using datagrid.CurrentCell() ?
I have loaded an Excel sheet into a datagrid. Now, I would like to walk through the datagrid, looking for specific values.I see that DataGrid.CurrentCell() is supposed to set and Get, I am not sure how to get it to set the cell that I want focus (actually I want the cell contents from ) on.anybody help with this? Have you tried walking through the DataGrid like this? foreach (DataGridItem dgi in DataGrid1.Items) {             int        cellCount    =    0;     &n...

Could anybody help me about How to Get the Cell value from Gridview Control while I use Mouse Click on one Cell?
Hi Sir,    Here goes my question,I'v drag a Gridview control and binded data to it ,I'm thinking ,Can I get the value from the Cell which I used the mouse  to click on it ? Thanks for your kindly help.Here.I.Am Edit Columns in the Smart Tagthen on the column use want to use click the "Convert to a Templated Field"Now Click OKGo back to smart tag, and Edit Templated field, On the Field you want to change, Item Template, you delete the Label Field and add a HyperLinkWhen you add the hyperlink, a smart tag will appear asking you to "Edit DataBindings", click it.Now ch...

Web resources about - Editing TValueListEditor cells while other cells are being updated. - embarcadero.cppbuilder.using