C++Builder XE and RAD Studio XE are now available

The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are available, and the products will be available to purchase worldwide between now and Wednesday.

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder
http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio

Thanks,

Tim

--
Tim Del Chiaro
Product Marketing - RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and Delphi for PHP

Hm.

I was waiting for the final release notes to appear before I'd make up my mind about the new XE-release - and here they are.

I've bought every C++ Compiler Borland/Codegear/Embarcadero made (since 1991) - this is the first time I'm considering to skip a version. Don't get me wrong, I am not a "fan" of any company or product - I really was convinced these products were the best tool for my job. And I still am. But with XE it's hard to see much improvement for my line of work (client based rich-GUI applications)

- I already use SVN (TortoiseSVN)
- I already use Beyond Compare
- I already use logging tools
- I don't really need all those fancy web and multi-tier features...

Many developers here complain (very loudly) about the lack of 64bit support or cross-platform support in XE - but I'm not really convinced most of them really do need it (not saying no one does).

I think it would have been so much more valuable to me (and maybe others) if you would just try to gradually improve your IDEs in a more conservative approach, instead of trying to stuff as many new features into the software as possible.

I don't really need "state of the art" or new "killer" features. I need you to gradually improve your IDE.

- better library support (e.g. boost) (is XE really still using 1.39?)
- faster compiler
- faster code
- more compact code (exe-size)
- improved project manager (still ages away from BC4.52)
   - source pools
   - disable target
   - disable source
   - (much more)
- better documentation
- improved IDE  functionality

Of course these are my needs - but isn't it reasonable to enhance the product in ways most customers would benefit from? How many developers really build web-applications with a RAD-IDE? How many developers need "Windows Azure" - or "Facebook" (you gotta be kidding me...)? Maybe I have a limited perspective, but it just appears logical to me, to rather enhance the product in a way every developer could benefit from, than to add features only very few developers can actually use.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards
Eike Petersen
Cologne, Germany
0
Eike
8/30/2010 10:30:52 PM
In article <280039@forums.embarcadero.com>,
 Eike Petersen <epetersen@removethisgmx.net> wrote:

> (is XE really still using 1.39?)

Yes, a few tweaks and serialization is back in.

>    - disable target
>    - disable source

In XE, it is now possible to exclude a file from compiling/linking.
--
David Dean (Embarcadero)
Lead C++ QA Engineer

Eike Petersen wrote:

> I think it would have been so much more valuable to me (and maybe
> others) if you would just try to gradually improve your IDEs in a
> more conservative approach

.... which is exactly what they are doing. XE doesn't seem to have any
"milestone" features, so what else do you think it is, IDE-wise?

> instead of trying to stuff as many new features into the software as
> possible.

While I don't quite get why they bundled all those 3rd-party additions
(even though I appreciate AQtime and FinalBuilder), I hardly believe
the team was distracted much from bundling them.

> - faster compiler
> - faster code

One might believe those two are mutually exclusive :)

> - improved project manager (still ages away from BC4.52)
>    - source pools
>    - disable target
>    - disable source
>    - (much more)

I know about source pools and "disable source", but what is "disable
target"? And what is "much more"?

> - better documentation

It's looking much better on the first glance. The RTL/VCL page layout
is much easier to read. Old vs. new:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/2010/en/StdCtrls.TButton
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/en/StdCtrls.TButton

No Delphi/C++ duplication anymore:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/2010/en/StdCtrls.TButton_Members
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/en/StdCtrls.TButton_Inherited_Members

The difference is even more obvious on the class member pages:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/2010/en/Controls.TWinControl.CreateParams
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/en/StdCtrls.TButtonControl.CreateParams

Note that it's now possible to display either Delphi or C++ syntax
(toggle the "Display Preferences" switch in the top right corner)!

Also, the RTL/VCL index now contains overviews sorted by functionality:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/en/Main_Page
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/API_Categories_Index

These look quite handy to me.

The only thing that is still unusable is the search feature. I really
hope they fixed the DExplore search index (which used to contain not
only classes but also their members in previous releases).

> - improved IDE  functionality

Specifics? :)

--
Moritz

"Hey, it compiles! Ship it!"
0
Moritz
8/31/2010 1:15:02 AM
On 30.8.2010 23:14, Tim DelChiaro wrote:
> The new product info is live on the web sites,

We bought RAD 2010 Ent at December 2009. I have checked "What's new in
RAD Studio XE". I admit I have no interest on most of new features but
profiling tools and bug fixes. I was willing to upgrade just to get
those but upgrade price of nearly 1800 EUR is IMO too much after less
than a year of using the product. Way too much.

I am afraid that bug fixes will not find their way to 2010 - or will they?

goran
0
Goran
8/31/2010 8:52:31 AM
> {quote:title=David Dean (Embarcadero) wrote:}{quote}
> In article <280039@forums.embarcadero.com>,
>  Eike Petersen <epetersen@removethisgmx.net> wrote:
>
> > (is XE really still using 1.39?)
>
> Yes, a few tweaks and serialization is back in.
>
> >    - disable target
> >    - disable source
>
> In XE, it is now possible to exclude a file from compiling/linking.

WOW I'm impressed. These points are in QC since BCB 1.0!!!
Why shall we pay for a full upgrade just for these points???
Eike is just repeating everything which is in QC since several years.
EVERY release I complained about these points and a lot more. Look in QC - but don't ask me again to tell you the QC# - I did this several times now!!
Sorry, but again you chose the wrong priorities.
I also already skipped several versions. RAD2010 was the only useful which was made since BCB5.0 (although lightyears behind VS) .
It is not your personal fault, but your management has probably no knowledge about the little niche market you are in!
I'm tired in repeating myself...

Istan

> --
> David Dean (Embarcadero)
> Lead C++ QA Engineer
0
Istan
9/4/2010 8:30:18 AM
> {quote:title=Moritz Beutel wrote:}{quote}
> > - better documentation
>
> It's looking much better on the first glance. The RTL/VCL page layout
> is much easier to read. Old vs. new:
>
> http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/2010/en/StdCtrls.TButton
> http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/en/StdCtrls.TButton

Well, we still use BCB6 help with RAD2010 - which is the most productive IMHO.
Not everything MS is developing is good - I also hate the ribbon bars - or at least how they are used in applications.

> > - improved IDE  functionality
>
> Specifics? :)

They are all in QC...
Why shall we always repeat ourself? I'm also not writing duplicate code in my apps..

> --
> Moritz
>
> "Hey, it compiles! Ship it!"
0
Istan
9/4/2010 8:40:03 AM
Hello,

Istan Velo wrote:

> Not everything MS is developing is good - I also hate the ribbon bars

the fact that you hate the "ribbon bars" doesn't make them "bad". I
like them, and my users like them as well. In fact I think they are
a significant innovation in the evolution of the GUI.

> > Specifics? :)
>
> They are all in QC...
> Why shall we always repeat ourself?

I don't ask you to repeat yourself. FTR, I have read some of your QC
reports - a lot of them are marked "Test Case Error", "Need More Info"
or "As Designed". I don't think it is justified to just point to these
reports and say "look, all the issues are in QC" when asked about
specific IDE improvements. Many of these reports aren't very helpful
without additional discussion and feedback.

--
Moritz

"Hey, it compiles! Ship it!"
0
Moritz
9/4/2010 10:55:54 AM
On 9/4/2010 3:55 AM, Moritz Beutel wrote:

> the fact that you hate the "ribbon bars" doesn't make them "bad". I
> like them, and my users like them as well. In fact I think they are
> a significant innovation in the evolution of the GUI.

They are a significant time sink, that's for sure - at least in the MS
Office case :) It's impossible to find needed things in them.
0
Alex
9/7/2010 8:20:10 PM
> {quote:title=Alex Bakaev wrote:}{quote}
> On 9/4/2010 3:55 AM, Moritz Beutel wrote:
>
> > the fact that you hate the "ribbon bars" doesn't make them "bad". I
> > like them, and my users like them as well. In fact I think they are
> > a significant innovation in the evolution of the GUI.
> >

> They are a significant time sink, that's for sure - at least in the MS
> Office case :) It's impossible to find needed things in them.

Thankfully exists "Classic Menu" for Office.
All Autodesk products are even worse..
I wish these Classic menus would exist for all other ribbon-slowbar apps too.

Istan
0
Istan

Delphi Prism XE and RAD Studio XE are now available
The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are available, and the products will be available to purchase worldwide between now and Wednesday. http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi-prism http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketing - RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and Delphi for PHP http://delphi-insider.blogspot.com I suspect it will be available for purchase AFTER Wednesday too. ;-) So from what I can gather, it has CodeSite and Subversion integration that Prism 2011 didn't hav...

Delphi XE and RAD Studio XE are available now [Edit]
The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are available, and the products will be available to purchase worldwide between now and Wednesday. http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketing - RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and Delphi for PHP http://delphi-insider.blogspot.com Edited by: Tim DelChiaro on Aug 30, 2010 2:15 PM > {quote:title=Tim DelChiaro wrote:}{quote} > The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are availabl...

RAD Studio XE: the relevant links for RAD Studio, Delphi, C++ Builder, Prism, RadPHP [what's new, features, downloads...]
What's New in Delphi and C++Builder XE http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/What's_New_in_Delphi_and_C%2B%2BBuilder_XE RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and RadPHP XE are available now! http://blogs.embarcadero.com/davidi/2010/08/30/40114/ audio - Dr. Dobbs's talks with Michael Rozlog about RAD Studio XE Release http://www.drdobbs.com/tv/index.jhtml?bctid=594150880001&bcpid=64699398001 Webinar: What's New in RAD Studio XE - An In-Depth Look with Mike Rozlog (Wed, Sep 1 7PM PDT / Thu, Sep 2 12:00 EST Australian) http://forms.embarcadero.com/f...

Going from C++ Builder XE Achitect Trial to C++ Builder Professional XE
What are the correct steps that I need to perform to go from a trial of C++ Builder XE Architect Trial to a purchased copy of C++ Builder Professional XE? I want to make sure that no traces are left from the installation of the trial version. Thanks I phoned support and here is the reply: Run the 'Modify, Repair, Uninstall' link in the Embarcadero start menu. Then choose 'Upgrade' and follow instructions. ...

RAD STUDIO XE C++ Builder [Edit]
-- Hi All! I have created 1st C++ Builder project using vcl form, but linker gave an error saying It is saying [ILINK32 Error] Error: Unresolved external '_BeforeDestruction' referenced from C:\MY DOCUMENTS\RAD STUDIO\PROJECTS\DATA_BASE\DATA_BASE_UNIT.OBJ [ILINK32 Error] Error: Unresolved external '_ClassDestroy' referenced from C:\MY DOCUMENTS\RAD STUDIO\PROJECTS\DATA_BASE\DATA_BASE_UNIT.OBJ [ILINK32 Error] Error: Unresolved external '_ClassCreate' referenced from C:\MY DOCUMENTS\RAD STUDIO\PROJECTS\DATA_BASE\DATA_BASE_UNIT.OBJ [ILINK32 Error] Error: Unresol...

Update 1 for C++Builder XE is now available
Update 1 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE is now available. It's available first through the auto update system. It should be available from the registered users download pages within two hours and available in the full product installers and ISOs for purchasers, customers and trial downloaders next week. For more information, see the following. Update 1 or Delphi XE and C++Builder XE Readme http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/40881 Update 1 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE Fix List http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/40984 Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketi...

Free Key Request for Rad Studio XE available now
http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/Blog/20101026A.EN.aspx You can also upgrade from the bundled version to any of the new IntraWeb editions: http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/FeatureMatrix.EN.aspx Check the new IntraWeb prices: http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/Buy/index.EN.aspx -- Jackson Gomes IntraWeb Support http://www.atozed.com/intraweb Blog: http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/blog Download: http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/download ...

Conversion C + + Builder 2007 for Rad Studio XE 2
'm Converting our application from C + + Builder 2007 for Rad Studio XE 2. It is the following problem: StdInd.H occurs in the file the message: On the line: typedef __ int8 int8_t; [Bcc32 Error] stdint.h (20): E2141 Declaration syntax error    Full parser context      MPS44700.cpp (2): # include c: \ program files (x86) \ embarcadero \ rad I had this problem in previous conversions. Can anyone help me? thank you Marcio Tomazelli SMARAPD wrote: > StdInd.H occurs in the file the message: > > On the line: type...

Free Key Request for Rad Studio XE available now
http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/Blog/20101026A.EN.aspx You can also upgrade from the bundled version to any of the new IntraWeb editions: http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/FeatureMatrix.EN.aspx Check the new IntraWeb prices: http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/Buy/index.EN.aspx -- Jackson Gomes IntraWeb Support http://www.atozed.com/intraweb Blog: http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/blog Download: http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/download ...

RAD Studio 2010 Hotfix 1 for C++Builder 2010 is now available
Hotfix 1 for C++Builder 2010 is now available. Registered users can get Hotfix 1 and other updates and additional free software at http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/c_builder. Here's the readme with more information. RAD Studio 2010 Hotfix 1 This software patch is being provided to licensed users of Embarcadero RAD Studio 2010. Installation and use are governed by the license statement for Embarcadero RAD Studio 2010. This Hotfix applies to: Product: Embarcadero RAD Studio, C++Builder Version: 2010 Update level: Update 4 / Update 5 (Database Pack) Editions: Professional, En...

Dixie and R-Sexy? Delphi XE and RAD Studio XE
I'm used to saying acronyms such as D2010 as "Dee two thousand and 10" and D7 as "Dee seven". How about the following XE shortcut names: Delphi XE: DXE: *Dixie* RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* Delphi Prism XE: *D-Pixie* Tough ones: RadPHP XE: ???? C++Builder XE: ???? Regards, Jarrod Hollingworth Complete Time Tracking http://www.complete-time-tracking.com/ > RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* To ensure it is removed by content filtering tools? > {quote:title=Luigi Sandon wrote:}{quote} > > RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* > > ...

Help Update 3 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE
Help Update 3 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/28256 Updated: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:52:00 GMT Is the update really new? > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > Help Update 3 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE > http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/28256 > Updated: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:52:00 GMT > > Is the update really new? I think so -- but it's nothing major. The update is really BIG though. Not worth it if you're in your cabin in the mountains with a 9600 baud modem connection. ...

How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer?
How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer? -- Regards, Eko Indriyawan www.ekoindri.com Delphi makes me that a something impossible can be realized with possible way Le 21/09/2010, Eko Indriyawan a supposé : > How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer? install D2010 first and DXE next and everything should be fine. - Florent Hi Florent, Thank you very much for your suggestion. Let me try to follow it. -- Regards, Eko Indriyawan www.ekoindri.com Delphi makes me that a something impossible can be ...

Convert to C++ Builder XE from C++ Builder 6 and 2007
Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE? On 6/20/2012 8:20 AM, Girish Duddu wrote: > Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE? The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE. There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make fell into two categories: 1) Places...

Web resources about - C++Builder XE and RAD Studio XE are now available - embarcadero.cppbuilder.nontech

C++Builder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
owned by Embarcadero Technologies , for writing programs in the C++ programming language targeting Windows and OS X . C++Builder combines the ...

Embarcadero C++Builder XE5 Delivers New iOS Support
Embarcadero Technologies delivered C++Builder XE5, which enables C++ developers to build native Windows, Mac and iOS apps in C++.

Sneak Preview: Delphi 2011 is Delphi XE
... next three weeks, we'll be previewing some of the great new things that are coming in the upcoming versions of RAD Studio XE, Delphi XE, C++Builder ...

VCL versus CLX
This paper will look at the new CLX library (pronounced clicks ) that ships with all versions of Kylix and also with Delphi 6 and later. Delphi ...

DevExpress Industry Recognition - Recent Awards
Feature-Complete Components, IDE Tools, and Business Application Frameworks for Visual Studio, Delphi and C++Builder

Visual Studio 11 Beta Today
Feature-Complete Components, IDE Tools, and Business Application Frameworks for Visual Studio, Delphi and C++Builder

Products
... development product (Elevate Web Builder). Our first-generation database engine product, DBISAM, is a good fit for Delphi and C++Builder application ...

C++Builder XE3 - Rapid visual C++ development environment
C++Builder XE3 is the fastest way to create high performance native applications for Windows 8 and Mac OS X Mountain Lion, including Retina display ...

Programming with RAD Studio Index
Show: Delphi C++ Display Preferences From RAD Studio XE3 Jump to: navigation , search Go Up to Delphi Developer's Guide This section describes ...

Visual Build Professional Help
Contents - Index Introduction Overview Why Visual Build? New Features Version 4 Version 5 Version 6 Version 7 Version 8 License Agreement Installation ...