Mixed project C++/Delphi compiles all C++ files (XE5)

I just wonder if I am doing something wrong, but it seems like XE5
compiles too many files all the time...
If I make a small change in one of the Delphi units in my mixed
project and then want to check it out so I hit debug run (F9), then
instead of just compiling the Delphi unit and link it all, XE5 always
builds the complete project, which takes a good minute or more.
The change could be as small as making a line break after a then
statement, which does not even need to be recompiled since there is no
active code change...

Debugging in this environment makes me nervous, I am forgetting what
it was I had to check while waiting for the application to show up.
When working in Delphi, like I have for years, the compile-run-debug
cycle is orders of magnitude faster.

Is there a setting somewhere that tells the compiler to ONLY compile
units/files that have actually changed?

---
Bo Berglund
Sweden & Texas
Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.92/32.572
0
Bo

"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I just wonder if I am doing something wrong, but it seems like XE5
> compiles too many files all the time...
> If I make a small change in one of the Delphi units in my mixed
> project and then want to check it out so I hit debug run (F9), then
> instead of just compiling the Delphi unit and link it all, XE5 always
> builds the complete project, which takes a good minute or more.
> The change could be as small as making a line break after a then
> statement, which does not even need to be recompiled since there is no
> active code change...

Perchance, Are there 'new'ly timestamped C++ headers being generated for the
units in question, which thus cause any C++ code depending on them to be
recompiled as part of the 'make' process of checking timestamps of
dependencies/dependers?

Sorry I don't have a solution, but wonder if that might be your cause...
0
david
6/1/2015 5:41:10 PM
On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 10:41:10 -0700, david hoke
<dhoke.nojunk@east-shore.com> wrote:

>"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund@nospam.com> wrote in message
>Perchance, Are there 'new'ly timestamped C++ headers being generated for the
>units in question, which thus cause any C++ code depending on them to be
>recompiled as part of the 'make' process of checking timestamps of
>dependencies/dependers?
>
>Sorry I don't have a solution, but wonder if that might be your cause...
Might be.
The Delphi compiler kicks in first and compiles the Delphi code and
this generates hpp files. If these are used by Cpp files then I guess
it explains things.
But I also found a difference between F9 and Ctrl-F9 in the amount of
compilation.
Not really important but I figured I'd ask to check if I am doing
something wrong. It seems like the amount of Delphi editing affects
the behaviour and also which Delphi files, so maybe I was working in a
file that is more sensitive for Cpp?

---