Access violation after moving project to another IDE installation

After a crash of the harddisk I moved my projects to another computer where I have installed the same version of the IDE (BCB6 (see comment below)).
I thought there would be no problem to recompile my projects on the new IDE if I had installed the same third-party and own components but I lost already some days just trying to get things to work again!!!

I can compile the project but after starting the application I get an access violation just after creating the main form:

 Application->CreateForm(__classid(TFormMain), &FormMain);
=> access violation here!!
Application->CreateForm(__classid(TFormRegen), &FormRegen);

The debugger shows the following line in Forms.hpp:

/* TCustomForm.Destroy */ inline __fastcall virtual ~TForm(void) { }

but I do not destroy a form in the constructor of FormMain !
I create a splash screen in the constructor and
destroy it in FormMain->Show

Thanks, Rolf

btw: How can I easily transfer an IDE installation to another hardware? If I had an harddisk image I cannot install it on another computer, only on the same machine, right? Is a VM the solution?

P.S. BCB6: I have a license of RAD Studio2007 but problems to install all the third-party components. For some components like TChart Pro you have to buy new versions because the old one is not compatible with the new version of the IDE. That's really painful :-(
0
Rolf

<Rolf Fankhauser> wrote in message news:228407@forums.embarcadero.com...
> After a crash of the harddisk I moved my projects to another computer
> where I have installed the same version of the IDE (BCB6 (see comment
> below)).
> I thought there would be no problem to recompile my projects on the new
> IDE if I had installed the same third-party and own components but I lost
> already some days just trying to get things to work again!!!
>
> I can compile the project but after starting the application I get an
> access violation just after creating the main form:
>
> Application->CreateForm(__classid(TFormMain), &FormMain);
> => access violation here!!
> Application->CreateForm(__classid(TFormRegen), &FormRegen);
>
> The debugger shows the following line in Forms.hpp:
>
> /* TCustomForm.Destroy */ inline __fastcall virtual ~TForm(void) { }
>
> but I do not destroy a form in the constructor of FormMain !
> I create a splash screen in the constructor and
> destroy it in FormMain->Show

Sounds like an exception is being thrown, causing the form to be destroyed.
Do you have madExcept (www.madhsi.net)?  That may help you track it down.

One other thing to try: did you remember to install the BCB6 Update #4?

- Dennis
0
Dennis
3/29/2010 2:40:22 PM
> {quote:title=Dennis Jones wrote:}{quote}
> <Rolf Fankhauser> wrote in message news:228407@forums.embarcadero.com...
> > After a crash of the harddisk I moved my projects to another computer
> > where I have installed the same version of the IDE (BCB6 (see comment
> > below)).
> > I thought there would be no problem to recompile my projects on the new
> > IDE if I had installed the same third-party and own components but I lost
> > already some days just trying to get things to work again!!!
> >
> > I can compile the project but after starting the application I get an
> > access violation just after creating the main form:
> >
> > Application->CreateForm(__classid(TFormMain), &FormMain);
> > => access violation here!!
> > Application->CreateForm(__classid(TFormRegen), &FormRegen);
> >
> > The debugger shows the following line in Forms.hpp:
> >
> > /* TCustomForm.Destroy */ inline __fastcall virtual ~TForm(void) { }
> >
> > but I do not destroy a form in the constructor of FormMain !
> > I create a splash screen in the constructor and
> > destroy it in FormMain->Show
>
> Sounds like an exception is being thrown, causing the form to be destroyed.
> Do you have madExcept (www.madhsi.net)?  That may help you track it down.
>
> One other thing to try: did you remember to install the BCB6 Update #4?
>
> - Dennis

I installed BCB6 and all components on a new computer. There I could compile the project and it runs without access violation!! There must something different in the other IDE installation. Is there a possiblity to compare two IDE installations?

Before I could link the application I need to remove some libraries from the project file which were installed on the old IDE but not used by the application. I wonder why these libraries are listed in the project file. Is this a bug of the IDE? After I had removed the names of these libraries in the project file in a separate editor the linker reported no more errors. Is there an easier way to remove these unused libraries?
0
Rolf
4/3/2010 5:57:54 PM
<Rolf Fankhauser> wrote in message news:229915@forums.embarcadero.com...

> I installed BCB6 and all components on a new computer. There I could
> compile the project and it runs without access violation!! There must
> something different in the other IDE installation. Is there a possiblity
> to compare two IDE installations?

None that I know of.

> Before I could link the application I need to remove some libraries from
> the project file which were installed on the old IDE but not used by the
> application. I wonder why these libraries are listed in the project file.
> Is this a bug of the IDE?

Not a "bug" per se, but certainly an annoyance.

> After I had removed the names of these libraries in the project file in a
> separate editor the linker reported no more errors. Is there an easier way
> to remove these unused libraries?

Unfortunately, no.  Sometimes the only way to get rid of something is to
edit the project file manually.

- Dennis
0
Dennis

XE2 Access violation loading project into IDE
I am having Delphi XE2 app crashes when loading a simple firemonkey iOS project after having written, compiled and run fine in the IDE the first time. Crash occurs thereafter each time I try to load the project into the IDE. By deleting lines of source code and then adding one line of code at a time I can determine the line which causes the app crash. The line is: panelWidth := frameWidth - ( 2.0 * stileWidth ) + 0.4375; Now if I modify this line to: panelWidth := frame Width; the project loads with no problem, as expected. It appears that adding additional calc...

Delph IDE access violation
Hi In my datamodule i use Interbase IBX components. I often get access ciolations in Delphi bpl's when tring to edit IBDataset.SelectSQL property Any idea whats going on? Eric > {quote:title=Eric ten Westenend wrote:}{quote} > Hi > > In my datamodule i use Interbase IBX components. > > I often get access ciolations in Delphi bpl's when tring to edit IBDataset.SelectSQL property > > Any idea whats going on? > > Eric IBDataSet? This component does not belong to IntraWeb, but to InterBase package. Does it happen only in IntraWeb ...

access violation when I quit from the IDE
I'm using Delphi 6 and very often, when I close the IDE I get this message: Exception EAccessViolation in module rtl60.bpl at 0000567D Access Violation at address 4000567D in module 'rtl60.bpl'. Read of Address 00000000 some times, whe I accept the error message, it exits, but sometimes it enters in to a loop and every message I accept shows another error message, and so on... Any idea of what is happening? Thanks! Sergio sergio gonzalez wrote: > I'm using Delphi 6 and very often, when I close the IDE I get this message: > > Exception EAccessV...

Access Violation in IDE [Edit]
Thank you.. By the way; I am having problems with my IDE..Sometimes it would just get stuck while I am coding and a message of access violation pops up. Is there an update as far as you know? <Muhammad Tailounie> wrote in message news:122180@forums.codegear.com... > By the way; I am having problems with my IDE..Sometimes it would just > get stuck while I am coding and a message of access violation pops up. > Is there an update as far as you know? You did not say which version of C++Builder you are using, or what the AV says. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) > {quo...

Access Violation with no way to return to IDE
I've adapted a "flocking" simulation to run, full screen, with multiple timers, without any controls visible, as an "art" piece. It would run overnight with no errors before converting it to "art." Now, after about an hour or two, it stops with, "Access violation at address 0040Z48A - Read of address 2283D8E9." Usually, when I get "Access violation..." messages, it is Windows 7 telling me that I am trying to write to an array with an index that is out-of-bounds. They are usually easy to fix... This time, I've double and triple-ch...

Access Violation problems during the debugging in the IDE
--------------------------- Benachrichtigung über Debugger-Exception --------------------------- Im Projekt NetLogTS.exe ist eine Exception der Klasse $C0000005 mit der Meldung 'access violation at 0x7c929af2: write of address 0x00000010' aufgetreten. --------------------------- Anhalten Fortsetzen Hilfe --------------------------- Hello, has anybody an idea, why this error occurs during the debugging of a app in the IDE of Delphi XE2 directly after "begin" before "application.initialize"? Starting the EXE-File directly, there is no problem. T...

[XE] IDE access violations are frequent.
I get access violations in the IDE frequently during linking. Once I get an access violation I pretty much have to shut down the IDE as violations occur doing almost anything in the IDE after the first one. I did not create new Projects but instead used the ones from CB2009. I will try to create new Projects sometime to see if it makes the IDE stable during linking. I think some of my Linking Error:Export messages are because the Import/Export code was newly created or heavily modified in XE. Bruno made mention of this in one of the Quality Central incidents. Larry In...

Move D2010 IDE settings to another machine?
I've just installed a clean Delphi on a Win 7 machine. Is there a way to move the IDE settings (toolbar, Environment) from another machine to this one so I don't have to wade through the settings manually? Robert Frank wrote: > I've just installed a clean Delphi on a Win 7 machine. Is there a way > to move the IDE settings (toolbar, Environment) from another machine > to this one so I don't have to wade through the settings manually? If you have used the exact same folder names on the new machine you could try to export the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CodeGe...

getting error when the published project is accessed but not in IDE
hi all  i had done project in asp.net,which gets the user details from Active Directory, it is very well working in IDE(open VS 2005 and project and press F5 then it works very well),but after the page is published ,if i try to access the page ,it is throwing exception. in the page load event i had write code to get details of groups in Active Directory. and the exception is throwing at the code.the exception occurs is ---------------------------- The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of ...

IDE Projects list does not Sort projects in Group Project window
CG2010, C++,Default IDE layout, the projects pane on the right, has a "Sort" icon...no matter what I option choose, it will not sort list...Jesus, don't you guys check this stuff before you send it out.... ...

Delphi BDE
I (still) support two well established Delphi apps requiring BDE (Paradox tables). Suddenly they have started generating a consistent Access Violation (in Win XP) when starting to run in the IDE. The apps compile OK and the resulting exes run without complaint outside the IDE.It's not just my apps - the demo Fishfact and other demos generate an access violation as well as they start to run (after compiling OK). I have made no changes for a long time to the VCL etc. This happens in Delphi 4 and Delphi 7. I have tried re-installing Delphi and BDE and doing a system restore. The access vio...

Delphi 5
Hello, I'm working on a legacy app in Delphi 5, suddenly I'm getting a crash when trying to access project options from the menu, in fact this happens now even when starting a new project. Has anyone seen this before and can offer a fix ? Thanks... JT Here is the madexcept dump: command line : "C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi5\Bin\delphi32.exe" -ns -np executable : delphi32.exe current module : madExcept_.bpl exec. date/time : 2000-01-24 05:01 version : 5.0.6.18 compiled with : Delphi 5 madExcept version : 3.0h callsta...

Why does the windows installer come up when I try to access a web page from within the IDE?
PB 9.01 Build 7236 Are you missing some required component? Which installer is displayed? "Chance" <chance@booklog.com> wrote in message news:4161637c$1@forums-2-dub... > PB 9.01 Build 7236 > > If I'm missing some component, I don't know which one. The Microsoft Small Business installer comes up. "Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <Spam_NoThanks_keating@iAnywhere.com> wrote in message news:4161681d$1@forums-1-dub... > Are you missing some required component? Which installer is displayed? > > "Chance&...

C++ 2010 IDE crash : Access violation in coreide140.bpl [Edit]
I tried couple of years ago to test 2006, but the IDE was crashing quite often. With 2010, it looks like it is still unstable. Got almost all the time, after compilation, the following message: Access Violation at address ... in coreide140.bpl. Read of address 00000027 Details: [2083ED73]{coreide140.bpl} MsgLinesIntf.TLine.GetChildCount (Line 146, "MsgLinesIntf.pas" + 0) + $3 [2083D7E1]{coreide140.bpl} MsgLines.TLineBuffer.RemoveAllFileMessageLines (Line 1015, "MsgLines.pas" + 1) + $2 [2083D954]{coreide140.bpl} MsgLines.TLineBuffer.Clear (Line 1061, "MsgLine...

Web resources about - Access violation after moving project to another IDE installation - embarcadero.cppbuilder.ide

Installation art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Installation art describes an artistic genre of three-dimensional works that are often site-specific and designed to transform the perception ...

Installation Magazine for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod ...
Get Installation Magazine on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Typical Solar Installation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... This is a newly constructed home with near total solar covering. Hi Tim, I have published this nice picture by you, ofa home with solar installation, ...

Adobe pushes scareware with Flash Player installation - YouTube
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/adobes-latest-critical-security-update-pushes-scareware/4681 If you manually install the latest version of Flash ...

Telstra in dispute with customer over costly landline installation
Would you pay $5931.90 for the installation of a landline in a suburban area?