[ILINK32 Error] Fatal: Could not open <file>.tds (project already open in IDE?) in a vmWare shared folder

I've installed C++ Builder 2010 into an vmWare virtual machine and given
access to the code via a shared folder. This way I maintain my system
relatively clean and I avoid installing and installing Builder each time I
reinstall my host Windows.

However it seems the linker is not capable to create/find the TDS file
across the vmware shared folders. I've been playing with the Directories
and Conditionals but no combination seems work. Mapping the shared folder
does not work.

A workaround is to share the host folder and then map that share as a
normal unit, but I prefer not to do that because then I have all my source
code shared across the network and that is a potential security risk (at
least more risk that use vmWare shared folders into a NAT virtual network.
--
Microsoft Visual C++ MVP => http://geeks.ms/blogs/rfog
El pensador sabe considerar las cosas mas sencillas de lo que son.

VMWare shares can be quite slow anyway, you probably don't want to compile across shares or networks.

Gregor

> {quote:title=Rafael Ontivero wrote:}{quote}
> I've installed C++ Builder 2010 into an vmWare virtual machine and given
> access to the code via a shared folder. This way I maintain my system
> relatively clean and I avoid installing and installing Builder each time I
> reinstall my host Windows.
>
> However it seems the linker is not capable to create/find the TDS file
> across the vmware shared folders. I've been playing with the Directories
> and Conditionals but no combination seems work. Mapping the shared folder
> does not work.
>
> A workaround is to share the host folder and then map that share as a
> normal unit, but I prefer not to do that because then I have all my source
> code shared across the network and that is a potential security risk (at
> least more risk that use vmWare shared folders into a NAT virtual network.
> --
> Microsoft Visual C++ MVP => http://geeks.ms/blogs/rfog
> El pensador sabe considerar las cosas mas sencillas de lo que son.
> 		-- Friedrich Nietzsche. (1844-1900) Filósofo alemán.
0
Gregor
12/12/2010 1:50:30 AM
Not in my machine and not with latest vmware version. At least I've not
observed speed problems in my i7 with 16GB RAM and a bunch of SSD Disks in
AHCI (due TRIM commands) with vmWare 7.1.3 hosting windows 7 x86 with 3 GB
of RAM each...

I think speed problems comes when both host and client machines are short
of RAM, or at least that was in my old Q4...

Other way I do not want to put my code into virtual machine disks due I
copy, delete, clone, move them and I'm sure I will lose my code... (Yes, I
know about Version Control and so, but I'm alone and I use a normal
cumulative backup system).

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 02:50:30 +0100, Gregor Brandt  wrote:

> VMWare shares can be quite slow anyway, you probably don't want to
> compile across shares or networks.
>
> Gregor
>

>> {quote:title=Rafael Ontivero wrote:}{quote}
>> I've installed C++ Builder 2010 into an vmWare virtual machine and given
>> access to the code via a shared folder. This way I maintain my system
>> relatively clean and I avoid installing and installing Builder each
>> time I
>> reinstall my host Windows.
>>
>> However it seems the linker is not capable to create/find the TDS file
>> across the vmware shared folders. I've been playing with the Directories
>> and Conditionals but no combination seems work. Mapping the shared
>> folder
>> does not work.
>>
>> A workaround is to share the host folder and then map that share as a
>> normal unit, but I prefer not to do that because then I have all my
>> source
>> code shared across the network and that is a potential security risk (at
>> least more risk that use vmWare shared folders into a NAT virtual
>> network.
>> --
>> Microsoft Visual C++ MVP => http://geeks.ms/blogs/rfog
>> El pensador sabe considerar las cosas mas sencillas de lo que son.
>> 		-- Friedrich Nietzsche. (1844-1900) Filósofo alemán.

--
Microsoft Visual C++ MVP => http://geeks.ms/blogs/rfog
El pensador sabe considerar las cosas mas sencillas de lo que son.
		-- Friedrich Nietzsche. (1844-1900) Filósofo alemán.
0
Rafael

Link error: Could not open .\<myproj>.ils (project already open in IDE?)
Hi All, I'm building my project in C++ Builder 2007 on Windows 7 and I get the following linker error: [ILINK21 Warning] Warning: Cannot reserve virtual memory at addr 43000000 for 0 bytes (errcode 87) [ILINK21 Warning] Warning: Unable to perform incremental link – performing full link… [ILINK21 Error] Fatal: Could not open .\<myproj>.ils (project already open in IDE?) [ILINK21 Error] Error: Unable to perform link There is no other IDE open, I've restarting and rebuilt and get the same error message. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I'm hoping t...

XE File > Open Project IDE Crash
Hi About two weeks ago I moved to Win 8. I have recently been changing the debug and map file settings in the project options, when I now go to File > Open Project the IDE crashes and drops into debug mode. The open folder is displayed and then the crash occurs. I have reset both Release and Debug Project settings to no debug and no map file (as they were previously) but the behaviour still persists. Whilst I will probably have used file > Open Project since moving to Win 8 I cannot be 100% certain that I have. If I open a project from the favourites or recent p...

Open a project without opening all the previously opened files.
Is there a setting to allow me to open a project and not have it open all the windows that were opened when the project was last saved? RyanFlames are for BBQ'ing.http://weblogs.asp.net/RyanSmith...

error "cannot open file <log file>" with dbmlsync on Pocket PC
Platform: Pocket PC 2000 & 2002, ASA 8.0.2.4122 with Mobilink synchronizing via ActiveSync When dbmlsync starts up on some devices, the user gets an error message about not being able to open the log file (the Mobilink client log file, not the database log file). Our log file is always in the device root and called \TransACT.mlc, and the error message is "Cannot open file \TransACT.mlc". The DSN file for the data source is also in the device root. Our dbmlsync command line is: dbmlsync -d -k -vns -c "dsn=SomeDatabase.dsn" -ot \TransACT.mlc As you...

IDE is very slow opening a file from a specific project
Hi, I have a C++ project containing a thousand or so files in RAD Studio 2010. When I press Ctrl+F12 to bring up the filter file list and select a file and press Enter, the IDE spins using 100% of one CPU for a long time, and appears to achieve nothing. I haven't had the patience yet to wait more than a few minutes to see if it ever does open the file. Opening another instance of the IDE and attaching to the first shows the main thread is stuck somewhere in bcbide140.@Cppmgr@TCppProjectManager@FindUsesEntry (the call stack above this point changes, but this is the root method.) Fo...

Opening an already open file
I have a user on Windows XP using Office XP. When they try to open a file that someone else has open it does not return the option to open as read- only, but causes the application to 'not respond' and consequently hang the PC. The files are on a Netware 6 server SP3 with NSS volumes. The client was 4.90 but I have updated it to 4.9 sp1a, still the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks Angela Hawley Angela, has the "other" client also 4.9SP1a installed ? -- Regards, Kai Reichert Novell Support Forums Sysop Here we are at the 21st century,...

Unable to open the physical file. Operating system error 5: "5(Access is denied.)". A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
PLEASE TELL ME A SOLUTION.... Server Error in '/PS' Application. The '/PS' is virtual directory of Local Host.Unable to open the physical file "G:\Personal Site Kit\App_Data\personal.mdf". Operating system error 5: "5(Access is denied.)".An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file G:\Personal Site Kit\App_Data\personal.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review th...

Opening up a PAS file opens up another instance of Delphi XE IDE... [Edit]
Here's the problem: When I double click on a .Pas file. a new Delphi XE IDE opens up. Is there a way to open up the file inside of the Delphi XE IDE that is currently open? Edited by: Joseph Trapani on Jan 31, 2012 4:04 PM > Here's the problem: > When I double click on a .Pas file. a new Delphi XE IDE opens up. > Is there a way to open up the file inside of the Delphi XE IDE that is > currently open? > > Edited by: Joseph Trapani on Jan 31, 2012 4:04 PM Drag and drop the file onto the IDE? BTW: I have my .PAS files set to open in a text editor ...

Delphi 6 IDE, Open Project does not sort the file name
Hi, I am using Delphi 6 IDE on Windows XP, when I open the project it does not sort the file names by alphabatic, I Click on "View Menu-- Detail -- click on Name" . When I go back to open project, it goes back to its normal sorting... Where do I need to make change, so everytime I open open project it will open in alphabatic order. Any help will be highly apprecaited! Thanks. Sam > {quote:title=samir patel wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I am using Delphi 6 IDE on Windows XP, when I open the project it does not sort the file names by alphabatic, > I ...

Main project file clobbered when open/close/open project, why?
The main source <programname>.cpp contains custom code for our language text handling system and to control weather or not a set of forms should be created on startup. That is controlled by a condition read from the command line starting the program. This is parts of the actual code, some of twhich has been silently deleted by XE5: {code} try { Application->Initialize(); Application->Title = "Imager 3D"; Application->CreateForm(__classid(TdtmLng), &dtmLng); //Load languages String FLangDir = ReadIniString("Language",...

Delphi 2010 IDE can not open file or project (no reponse)
Hi there I have a strange problem with my Delphi 2010. I can not Open File or Open Projects. when pressing this buttons there is no response from delphi. (but i can open new project r file and i also can open the project from favorite list) Thanks Roni ...

[ilink32 Error] Fatal: Unable to open file Types.obj [Edit]
After doing some work, this error started showing up. I don't know what I did to cause it, other then change some library paths, that were lost during the upgrade from xe2 to xe3. Anybody know how to get around it? This has been addressed elsewhere in the forum, by Remy Lebeau (TeamB) {code} You have two choices: 1) Go into the Project Options and make sure "System" is included in the "Unit scope names" list. 2) change the code to refer to "System.Types" instead of "Types". {code} My project is cbuilder, I'm not sure how System.T...

[ILINK32 Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'VERSIONINFO.LIB'
Hi All. I got this message [ILINK32 Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'VERSIONINFO.LIB' When my C++ appl. is try to linking, any idea? How can I try not to use this lib ? -- Terry Goto > {quote:title=Terry Goto wrote:}{quote} > I got this message > > [ILINK32 Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'VERSIONINFO.LIB' > > When my C++ appl. is try to linking, any idea? Ask in a C++ Builder forum? ;-) Delphi doesn't use .LIB files (or ILINK32). > How can I try not to use this lib ? Don't include version info in your applicati...

[ILINK32 Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'SHDOCVW_OCX.OBJ'
I have been working on an executable for about a week, incrementally adding code and successfully running it. Just now I get the following error: [ILINK32 Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'SHDOCVW_OCX.OBJ' I am not aware of having done anything out of the ordinary. I shut down the computer and restarted it, thinking some memory had been corrupted. Still no change. I get the same fatal error. I have a deadline for this for a collaborative project and I'm dead in the water. Can anyone help explain this to me and give me some pointers on how to get back on track? Thanks, Ni...

Web resources about - [ILINK32 Error] Fatal: Could not open <file>.tds (project already open in IDE?) in a vmWare shared folder - embarcadero.cppbuilder.ide