Hack on MDN Weekend - apply to attend!

*Last chance *to apply to come to Hack on MDN.

*Dates: 27-29 March, 2015Location: Berlin or Paris Mozilla office*

*Both contributors and paid staff must apply at <
<http://goo.gl/forms/4iZrr0EVV6>http://goo.gl/forms/9taJOS3LSu>
<http://goo.gl/forms/4iZrr0EVV6>. Please apply by January 22nd (date
extended).

Hack on MDN is a three-day event where we collaborate on projects that
make MDN better.  The goal is to do actual, tangible work:
documentation, translation, specifications/requirements,
designs/mockups, code, and/or new tools or processes. Everyone who
attends will produce something tangible at the end of the three days.
We want anyone and everyone to be able to participate and share their
project and get it worked on. We welcome all contributors to MDN -
both volunteer and paid staff, old timers and new! However, to keep
the sessions as productive as possible, we are limiting the number of
attendees & will choose based on a variety of factors - skills, past
contribution, ideas for what to work on, availability.

For more information on the event, please go
to:https://wiki.mozilla.org/MDN/Get_involved/Events/HackOnMDN

Link to apply is:http://goo.gl/forms/9taJOS3LSu

Please ping me directly with any questions, and feel free to forward
to others if you think they would be interested.

-ali

--
ali spivak
Manager, MDN Community & Content

When a hack is not a hack...
and it's my fault ;) Just thought I'd share an amusing little story with you to a) highlight the danger of careless page security setting, and b) highlight my stupidity in this matter ;) Yesterday I made a custom module live on my site which required Edit rights on the module. Silly old me (in my defense it was 12:00 am and I was tired and annoyed) - I gave edit rights to the PAGE instead of just a module on the page, decided that I was so damn good I didn't need to test the new stuff (all I was doing was replicating my dev server after all ;) and went to sleep... Wo...

Developer Engagement Etherpad
I created a Developer Engagement Etherpad: https://devengage.etherpad.mozilla.org My main reason for creating a team etherpad is to create a place to collaborate where it lists all the etherpad documents, not to make etherpad's private. Once information from an etherpad document is "finalized", I think it should be moved over to the wiki, or at least a link should be added there. I don't know how to make the whole pad open to everyone by default, but all new pages should be public. Let me know if you need a user or admin account or a new page created. (There is...

Hacking our hack days
Having just run the MDN hack day in London I found that the way we organised this one especially was not efficient and also a bit heavy on the speaking/showing side of things. All in all we had 3.5 hours of talks/demos which is not a hack day but a small conference. 9:00 Welcome Remarks 9:15 Christian Heilmann - The New Web Challenge 9.45 Rob Hawkes - B2G 10:15 Chloe Varelidi - Catch Them Young - Meet the Web Arcade 10:45 Rob Hawkes - Games 11:15 Break 11:30 Heather Arthur - DevTools 12:00 Jean Yves Perrier - BrowserID 12:30 Brad Lassey - Fennec Goes Native 1.00 Paul Lewis - ...

MDN/Kuma development update
Work is continuing apace on our new wiki, code named Kuma. However, as work c= ontinues, it becomes clear that there will continue to be surprises in terms= of things being trickier than expected. As such, it has been decided that w= e will not, for now, target any specific launch date. Instead, we will have a= series of test days to gather feedback on specific areas of the software. T= hese will be announced in advance, at least by email to target audiences, wh= ich will vary depending on what needs specific testing. Broader tests will begin once we get closer to firming up an actu...

MDN development roadmap change
The developer relations leads met last week to talk about raising the priority of the Badges project[0] that has been "on hold" for several months. We agreed that Badges should be the next project in our scoping queue. This change moves the Helpfulness project[1] down in the list, making it likely that Helpfulness will not happen this quarter and can be considered for future quarters. Next steps on the Badges project are scoping and exploring the solution space. These changes are reflected in the wiki[3]. We captured notes about our discussion in an etherpad[2]. Ple...

[Engagement Developers] 2015 Planning
Hi Developer Engagement folks, 2015 Planning Underway Mozilla=E2=80=99s 2015 planning process is underway and I wanted to make su= re you know about it and know that you are welcome to join us if you=E2=80=99d lik= e! I=E2=80=99d also like to call out that the way we set goals for this group will be a bit different than in 2015 as both Mozilla=E2=80=99s process and internal organization have changed. In this note I=E2=80=99m going to focus specific= ally on DevRel/MDN updates and team goals. As reference, our 2014 goals are at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Engagement/Developer_Eng...

Developer settings guide on MDN
Hi there, A few people now have asked me to create a guide to what all the = developer settings on Firefox OS do. Well, it turns out one already = exists: = https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/Debugging/Deve= loper_settings I=92ve given it a more prominent menu location in the hope it will be = more discoverable. Chris Mills Senior tech writer || Mozilla developer.mozilla.org || MDN cmills@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills ...

No Developer Engagement meeting this week
This week is Mozilla meeting free week, so there will be no developer engagement meeting! Our next meeting will be December 3rd at 9am PT, 17:00 UTC. Robert Nyman will lead the meeting. Enjoy a week with fewer meetings! Stormy ...

Updates to Developer settings on MDN
Hi all, I=E2=80=99ve updated the Gaia developer settings[0] article on MDN to = reflect the latest state of Gaia. I=E2=80=99ve filled in most of the new = options, but I could do with some help with some of the ones I don=E2=80=99= t know about: * Dump layerscope * Ignore GPS locations * Use marketplace reviewer certs * Verbose app permissions * Reset and root the phone Any explanations you can provide will be greatly appreciated! thanks, Chris Mills Senior tech writer || Mozilla developer.mozilla.org || MDN cmills@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills [0] = https:...

Updates to Developer settings on MDN
Hi all, I=E2=80=99ve updated the Gaia developer settings[0] article on MDN to = reflect the latest state of Gaia. I=E2=80=99ve filled in most of the new = options, but I could do with some help with some of the ones I don=E2=80=99= t know about: * Dump layerscope * Ignore GPS locations * Use marketplace reviewer certs * Verbose app permissions * Reset and root the phone Any explanations you can provide will be greatly appreciated! thanks, Chris Mills Senior tech writer || Mozilla developer.mozilla.org || MDN cmills@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills [0] = https:...

Websites & Developer Engagement Meeting
The following is a new meeting request: Subject: Websites &amp; Developer Engagement Meeting Organizer: "Stormy Peters" <stormy@mozilla.com> Location: Vidyo: Stormy's Room Time: Wednesday, May 9, 2012, 9:00:00 AM - 10:00:00 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain Invitees: engagement-developers@lists.mozilla.org *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Vidyo: Stormy's Room https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=86cN6PiTJ6Rx Audio only: 1-800-707-2533, pin: 369, conf: 463 Backchannel: irc.mozilla.org, #devrel Agenda & Minutes: http...

Whistler Hack on MDN day(s)
In three weeks many of us will be gathering in Whistler. Mozilla Webdev & MDN will be gathering together for a combo-event. On the Webdev side, we'll be doing what we do best: sit in a room for hours, get to know each other better, and hack on cool stuff. MDN will be doing something super-special: a hack day for improving MDN, including a pitch night the day before, and demo time at the end of the day. MDN's hack day is open to all! Where: Hilton Whistler Resort, Mt. Currie Ball Room North & South MDN Hack Day: Tuesday, June 23rd, 5pm - 7pm: Pitch Night Wedn...

Sears Engaging in Criminal Hacking Behavior
This is scary. http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/is_sears_engagi.html Sears.com is distributing spyware that tracks all your Internet usage - including banking logins, email, and all other forms of Internet usage - all in the name of "community participation." Every website visitor that joins the Sears community installs software that acts as a proxy to every web transaction made on the compromised computer. In other words, if you have installed Sears software ("the proxy") on your system, all data transmitted to and from your system will be ...

Redirecting /hacking to MDC Developer Guide
On 08/06/09 15:30, Benjamin Smedberg wrote: > I have recently updated a lot of the content available from > https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Developer_Guide so that it is > relatively up to date. I'd like to propose that if there is an old > /hacking page it should redirect to the developer guide and we should > improve that documentation further if necessary. I have gone through all the content linked to from mozilla.org/hacking/. There are one or two documents which were not linked to from MDC[0], so I have added links to them. We are now in a position to ...

Tor hack reports downplayed by developers
...."The paper that started the whole uproar explained that anonymity could be compromised on a Tor network if a malicious party deliberately configured its own Tor routers and advertised them as high-bandwidth devices. The Tor protocol tends to route traffic to devices which claim they have plenty of bandwidth available, but it does no checking to see if this claim is true. Setting up several of these servers allows the malicious party to be chosen as part of the routing path quite often. If two of the malicious servers are included as the start and end points in any parti...