What do non-.net users need to do to consume a .net web service?

Hello,

I'm very new to web service world and haven't had much chance to do much reading on theory and architecture yet.
So I'm asked to create one for someone external to my organization (still inside my company). I make one, test it, deploy it, consume it. Go me. It was very easy within my comfortable .net shop. However, the intended consumer is not a .Net shop (J2EE).
I was under the impression that if I sent in a GET request to the asmx file, I would get XML back. This turned out to be not the case and I had to use the proxy file to prove that I could consume the service. So my fragile understanding of XML services is destroyed.
What should I provide them non-.NET clients? The path to the asmx file? And for non-.NET clients, is it required that I create the proxy class? I can't imagine that it would be as simple as adding a web reference for them, could be wrong though...
Insight and info much appreciated.

Norm
0
secretasianman

If the client is using the webservice from a web-based application, they can use javascript to communicate with it. Check out my post at this forum

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=598280
-Jeff Evans

Programmer Analyst

Triton Management Group, Inc.

http://www.tritonmanagementgroup.com
0
dotnetsp2
6/10/2004 5:21:41 PM
Anything that can talk HTTP and dissect XML can speak SOAP. Notice that when you browse to the .asmx file it spits out all the functions you have exposed. Click on the function and you either get a test form or a full description of the ins and outs of the soap envelope requied and returned.

If they were using an http connection you should be able to cut, modify and paste this envelope information into the connection to the web service and see the results come back in the described way. Non .NET clients can still use the Web Service through a SOAP library, for example gSoap is a big help for c/c++ developers. PHP, perl and other languages contain built in SOAP support.

edit: changed tcpip to http
0
GH_Retro
6/11/2004 9:04:31 PM
If you need them to access via a GET, you should be able to add a web.config entry - it is disabled by default except when accessed via localhost

http://madtechnology.net/blog/archive/2003/08/15/167.aspx

<webServices>
<protocols>
<add name="HttpGet" />
</protocols>
</webServices>
0
jhouse
6/17/2004 3:08:52 AM
Is it necessary that you have a proxy for this? Is it geared towards web-based applications? Or windows based?
-Jeff Evans

Programmer Analyst

Triton Management Group, Inc.

http://www.tritonmanagementgroup.com
0
dotnetsp2
6/17/2004 4:17:00 AM
Are your clients Java based?
0
marascof

.NET Web Service and Non .NET programe
When we develop a web service by VB.NET. Then i use visual basic, Microsoft access, asp. Can these stuff access to my web service ? Means you want to access Webserver developed in VB.NET in ASP application?Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

.NET CLIENT TO ACCESS a non. NET WEB SERVICE
I develop in .net and need to create a web client to connect to a web service built in Java. http://xchainj.com:8080/axis/services/ScsEnvirodatWaterQualityIndexServiceSoap Its pretty easy when the web service was also built in .net. You can just create a web reference with the gui and automatically can see its functions and stuff. when i put this url in the box and hit go i dont get to see its functions. maybe this shouldnt be the url of the WSDL?? I Have no idea. Im very new to all of this. If there are any examples of .net clients connecting to non .net web clients it woul...

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

Can WSE 3.0 Web Service be exposed to the web and can it be consumed by non .Net apps?
If I write a WSE 3.0 web service in .Net 2.0, can I expose it to the web like an IIS XML web service.?Also, can this web service be consumed by non .Net apps or .Net 1.1. apps?sun21170 Yes, simply enable your web service project for WSE 3, and this will alter web.config to support WSE 3 web services in IIS.The web service can be consumed by non .Net clients, however .Net 1.1 clients may struggle unless you add WSE support ans generate specific WSE proxies at the client end.  JamesMy Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.com/blogs/JamesWinters...

Issue with clients consuming a web service that was upgraded from .NET 1.1 to .NET 3.5
I am currently working with an application that was converted from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2008 and we are having issues with a client consuming the web service portion of the application.  The web services were written in .NET 1.1 using the Web Services Enhancements 2.0 and was upgraded to use the .NET 3.5 framework.  One of our clients application, which is still written in .NET 1.1 was reference the upgraded web service and tried to consume the web service and received the following error: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Se...

Consuming Web Service in .NET [Need Help]
  I have to consume a web service. I have a sample web service what returns back the set of city, state, country and zip on passing zip code. Here is the URL: http://10.0.112.14:8182/wxZipCity.wsdl I am able to pass zip code to the web service and can also see the hit on web service and the data being created in SOAP form. But when i am trying to get the same in return using my .NET app it is giving me errors and passing NULL. Can any one resolve this? Or help me understanding what is happening here? I have given Web Service URL above. And following is my code that i have written....

Consuming .net xml web service in PHP
I have developed .net xml web service. I want a develope php client to access this web service. I dont have much knowledge about PHP. The web service i wrote accepts two string parameters FirstName and LastName, and returns string like Welcome (FisrstName)__(LastName) to web service. The sample php client code i am trying is as below: <?php require_once('nusoap.php'); $parameters = array ("FirstName"=>"Russel", "LastName"=>"Arnold"); // Create a new Soap object $soapclient = new soapclient('http://testwebservice/Servi...

.NET Web Service Proxy (EasySoap vs .NET)
Greetings all, I was provided with a URL for a web service that is password protected. I saved the WSDL file from the browser and am attempting to create a .NET Web Service Proxy to use it. When I select EasySoap for the 'Web Service Selection', I see one service ('Services') and five 'Structures' (which is the number of 'methods' that I am expecting to see). But when I select .NET, I still see one service (named differently) and only one structure. Four of the structures are missing. Is there something else I need to do to view the four ...

Consuming a .NET web service in Delphi 2010 using a service reference
Hi, I've been asked to modify one of my existing applications (D2010 Win32) to interact with a web service written under VS2010/.Net 4. The information I have so far is :- "As communication is secured by .NET WsHttpBinding data encrypting, In order to consume it you have to add to your application a Service Reference (not a web reference) that joins the service available at the URL: http://ctm.mobilling.it/SmsComApi/Sms.svc . Assuming that the binding created in your app.confing is named "WSHttpBinding_ISms" you have to instantiate a client as shown below: {c...

Non-Microsoft Client Consums .Net Web Service
Hi, I am trying to create a non-microsoft client (java) to test my .net web service. Any comments, good articles about it? Thanks in advance It should "just work". Try as much as possible to return objects of primitives and arrays of objects or primitives, no dataset or whatever (it can be made to work, but there are possible pitfalls). If the java client use Axis, it will work fine. Its even easier if you use Windows Communication Foundation, since its even easier to make WS-I compliant services, which virtually any client will be able to eat up just fine. But still, ...

Web resources about - What do non-.net users need to do to consume a .net web service? - asp.net.xml-web-services

United States Department of Health and Human Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United States Department of Health and Human Services ( HHS ) is a Cabinet department of the United States government with the goal of protecting ...

The Beatles arrive on Apple Music, other streaming services
... Beatles’ catalog has arrived on Apple Music on this Christmas Eve. The Fab Four’s music is also playing on other major music streaming services, ...

In the end the Beatles finally come to streaming services
It's been a long and winding road to get the Beatles on your devices and streaming services, but you've finally reached your destination and ...

New online service seeks to shake up Seattle's office leasing market
... tools, such as a new one called Crelow. The Minneapolis-based startup, which launched in Seattle Wednesday, bills itself as matchmaking service ...

The Beatles discography will be on streaming services as of Christmas Eve
... any music fan can get excited about. As of 12:01 AM local time on Christmas Eve, The Beatles' entire discography will be on streaming services ...

How video streaming services are changing the future of TV
... created, distributed, and monetized. This shift has been brought on by the rising popularity of over-the-top content and video streaming services. ...

Favorite apps and services of 2015
Save time and money with our Windows editor's favorites: Android Pay, Google Fi, PlayStation Vue, and Windows 10.

College Financial Service Provider Higher One To Pay $28M In Fines, Refunds For Misleading Students
Higher One, Inc. promises to help students reach their goal of achieving a degree by providing money management and refund services. But federal ...

The Beatles Hit Music Streaming Services at Midnight Tonight
Announced this morning, The Beatles are finally, finally hitting music streaming services across the globe, and yes, this includes Google Play ...

Google Testing Password-Free Log-ins to Online Services
Google's goal is to curb phishing and other attacks that involve the use of passwords to gain access to accounts and exploit them.