Web app calling Web service error The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized

I have a web site calling a web service which are both located on the same server.  Integrated windows authentication is being
used on both the app and service.

When I start the web app from VS's IDE (code on server), it runs fine displaying "Hello world" and populating the dropdownlist.

However, if I browse to the URL in IE, I get the following error
System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized

I output the credentials used in the web app, and they are correct.

Why would it run fine through the IDE but not browsing to the url?  Also I have no problem browsing to the web service asmx and
invoking the methods manually.

0
netasp2

Hi netasp2 ,

Do you browser IE in server or other client PC, if it is at the same server, please check IE setting:

  1. Tool---Internet Options---Security----Local intranet----Custom level
  2. See the last config and check whether you  have right config

If it is on other client PC, you have to check whether the client pc have permission to access server.

Best regards,
Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Guang

web service error: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
I am doing the web service walk-through from here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/87h5xz7x(en-us,vs.80).aspx I get the error 'The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized'.  My app is using windows authentication, I made sure the web service folder has permissions for everyone to execute and that didn't work.  IIS has annonymous access checked. I'm not sure what else to do. Help? Another thing... I'm using the integrated web server that comes with Visual Studio... does using it change things? Hello. I've faced that error when I tried to use async pages (at...

system.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed. Error in Calling Web Service Function
Hello Friends, I am using a web service to get availability information. i have only following url http://webservices.micros.com/ows/5.1/Availability.wsdl I added Web References to the VS 2008 project , then i tried C# proxy class created from wsdl tool But when i am calling any function from code it gives following error system.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed. Please check the following page http://go-dev.com/clients/newyorkerhotelTest/reservations.aspx And click the Check Availability Button. Please tell me what...

DynamicPopulateExtender: Web Service call failed: 12152, Web Service call failed: 12031
Hi, I'm using a DynamicPopulateExtender to take the value of a SELECT dropdown and pass it to an onpage web service (defined with <System.Web.Services.WebMethod()> _ '<System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethod()>) and as PUBLIC SHARED FUNCTION myfunction(contextKey as string) as string. The function returns the html for a listbox. Everything seems to fire properly on the client but when the web service is called by the Javascript function, I get Web Service call failed: 12152 or Web Service call failed: 12031 Any pointers would be appreciated.  Do...

web service The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Im getting this error with a web serice ive created.  Im running on my local machine and using windows authentication.  Ive added some code to provide credentials but it still wont work.QAS.AddressVerificationService avs = new QAS.AddressVerificationService();avs.PreAuthenticate = true;avs.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;can anyone shed some light on this ?tiaMark You need to set access rights for the webservice called. see here:http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47233http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.p...

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized
Hello All, I am getting the mentioned error: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized, when i tried to call ReportingService2005 reference in my IIS web project. Below is my code: string strReport; string strRptUrl; string strFormat; string strFormatCode; ReportingService2005 rs = new ReportingService2005(); // Pass Windows Authentication credentials to Web Service rs.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials; // Call ListChildren method to get array of reports CatalogItem[] itmReports = rs.ListChildren(strFolder, false); foreach (CatalogItem itm in itmReports)...

Acess to a web service throws: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
I have a stable web service that I have accessed a bunch no problem.  I use a NetworkCredetial object with proper credentials to access the web service.  There is no problem with the credentials.  I have no idea why this response (The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.) is coming back. On the test server where the web servcie is set up without SSL the connections work just fine. On the production server, the web service has an attached SSL certificate.  I can consume the web service reference from the production server on my local machine and run it...

Problem calling Web Service using the DynamicPopulate Extender
Hi, I'm quite new to ASP.Net AJAX so please forgive my ignorance.  I have downloaded and installed the RC1 version and am following through some of the tutorial videos.  I am having a problem with the Dynamic Populate Extender example.  I have created some asp controls with onclick events calling a javascript function.  From there I am attempting to use a dynamic populate extender control to call a web service - it's a function declared on that ASPX page as the tutorial explains in necessary and decorated with the System.Web.Services.WebMEthod AND System.Web.Script.Serv...

What action by a web service requires an app to update their web reference to a Web Service
I create a web reference to a web service in my aspx web application which returns an XML object. If the owner of the web service makes a change to their object am I required to do an update web reference? What if I dont use the information from the new object? thanks Larry You should make the change only if the contract b/w the two has changed (e.g. parameters, return values), etc.-Mathew Nolton Website=www.cybral.com Email=mnolton@cybral.com Blog=weblogs.asp.net/mnolton If the web service now returns a new element and my class reference doesn't match their new class ref...

Ajax call web services failed after convert web site into web project
Hi Guys I have one web site application and use ajax call web services. it is working very well. 1. Master page set up scriptmanager with webservices path. 2. Web service inside web site application under app_code named ajaxwebservice.cs 3. Javascript call ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); But after I convert web site into web application project, the ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); failed, the ajaxwebservice in undifined error. I use the same web.config, master page, I put my ajaxwebservice.asmx and ajaxwebservic...

PB 11.5.1 (4011)
Hello Everyone, I am getting a strange error when calling a C# Web Service in PB 11.5.1 (4011). System.OutOfMemoryException When my application starts, I do the following: application global variable n_uploaded_files gnv_uploaded_files open event of application gnv_uploaded_files = CREATE n_uploaded_files n_uploaded_files instance variable s2010_upload_web_service iproxy_webservice SoapConnection iSOAP_connection constructor event of n_uploaded_files isoap_connection = CREATE SoapConnection of_instantiateservice(iproxy_webservice, "s201...

Web resources about - Web app calling Web service error The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized - asp.net.xml-web-services

A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , Atlanta 2007 – Philadelphia , Atlanta, Washington, D.C. 2008 – Syracuse , Fort Worth , Cincinnati , Chicago , Phoenix A Very Merry Unauthorized ...

ALERT: 600K Unauthorized Facebook Log-Ins Daily
Happy Halloween: A Facebook account gets compromised once every 140 milliseconds.

Detecting unauthorized cross-app resource access on OS X
Last week, Luyi Xing, a Ph.D. student from Indiana University Bloomington and his colleagues released a research paper on several vulnerabilities ...

New Security Tools Prevent and Alert Users to Unauthorized Logins
New Facebook security systems focused on preventing unauthorized logins are now active in the Account Settings -> Account Security panel. Outlined ...

Twitter Blog: Unauthorized Access: An Update
Twitter Blog Unauthorized Access: An Update on Security 811282302648909752 Thursday, April 30, 2009 This week, unauthorized access to Twitter ...

Some authenticated requests result in spurious 401 Unauthorized errors that should be HTTP 500-series ...
A number of authenticated requests to the API that would normally result in a 500-series error condition are currently throwing 401 errors with ...

All sizes - Commerce Committee Hearing on Unauthorized Mystery Telephone Charges - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...

The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story - Trailer - YouTube
Check out the first trailer for Lifetime's look at what happened behind-the-scenes on Saved by the Bell.

Brian Mulroney : The Unauthorized Chapter : the fifth estate : CBC News
CBC's the fifth estate is Canada's premiere investigative journalism series.

Trudeau Suited Up In Unauthorized Menswear Ad (PHOTO)
After trying Jim Flaherty and Stephen Harper on for size, clothing retailer Harry Rosen is now turning its eye to a new, slightly younger model ...