to use a webservice or not to use a webservice?

hi folks,

i have a web-based application that connects to a server for processing and then gets back the data from the server asynchonously to display to the user--specifically, the user identifies a product by answering coupla questions and then the program connects to a CAD server to generate models of the product to display to the user. creating the CAD files typically takes little over a minute or so...but i would like to know whether its a good idea to use a web-service to connect to the CAD server and then do the processing or whether remoting is a better way to do this.

btw: i'm pretty new to web-services or remoting (i'm sure you can guess from the nature of my query...but anyways...)  i look forward to having a discussion and possibly pointers to resources where i can start learning whatever is required to help me get the job done.

--siddharth

0
Siddharth

My thoughts are that your problem is exactly what web services are designed to do so, yes, I'd suggest at least a thorough investigation of using them. It is not at all difficult to code web services; I find that determing architecture/patterns/user reqs is much harder than the actual coding aspect.

===========================
Check out my SQL Server site - http://www.learnsqlserver.com/
0
bigtoga
12/29/2005 5:39:07 PM
yeah i've had a chance to take a look at webservices vis-a-vis remoting
and infact have got both to work at the moment. but i'm really not able
to understand the advantages of one technique over the other...have you
got any suggestions or web-based articles that might help resolve this
dilemma?

all the same, i was wondering if someone on this forum has developed a similar application in the past, if so, i could learn a bit from his/her experience. say what?

0
Siddharth
12/29/2005 8:29:15 PM

Well, you certainly could use a web service, but I would consider implementing it in an asychronous fashion if it's going to take a minute and you have more than a couple of potential users.

0
TAsunder

call webservice using javascript without using AJAX and webservice.htc?
HI,how can i call a webservice without using AJAX and Webservice.htc, using any protocols?Thanks.X you could skip using an AJAX framework and issue an xmlHttpRequest directlyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMLHttpRequestMike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ Hi, thanks mbanavige.well, is there any disadvantage of using xmlhttprequest?and one more question can AJAX also work on other web servers than IIS like Apache? and is AJAX compatible with all browsers other than IE?how can i call a web servi...

I need use xml webservice with out add web reference
Hello every body I need in my project to use web service, but I need to determain the URL of xml web service online ie. write it in textbox then using web services in this URL Please tell me how I can this situation in my code not using web reference   Thanks a lot You can develop a proxy class: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d2s8y7bs.aspx Hope this helps! Vikram.S, DeveloperDiscountASP.NETInnovative ASP.NET Hosting & SQL Hosting...

Accessing sharepoint service using vb.net webservice
heloi have writen a vb.net web service for accessing to sharepoint service according to this documenthttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms916810.aspx the document here mostly for C# language.but there is no spcification for VB.net. here i have seen i need to create three files.asmx*disco.aspx*wsdl.aspx in the document it says replace the content of disco file according to following <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>To<%@ Page Language="C#" Inherits="System.Web.UI.Page"%> <%@ Assembly Name="Microsoft.SharePoint, Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutr...

Re: Using XML Web Service in VS.NET
Dear all, I added a "test.asmx" file in my current project and I coded all Web Method in the test.asmx.cs in VS.NET. Now I want to ask how can I call the web methods in other C# Class? Suppose the class name of the asmx is "test". How can I instantiate the object of that class? Regards, Joe someone can correct me on this.... i hav done a walkthrough using XML webservice. I have created a windows application that can call methods from the webservice, with the use of a dataset in the webservice. after "adding a web reference" to my windows appli...

Need help with deciding to use or not to use web services in a web application
Hi all, I haven't used web services at all in my web application development and now I was asked to use web services in my web application.  I was a novice in ASP.NET since I'm just changed to ASP.NET from a Java background. I used the tutorial on MSDN to create the DAL (which is a .xsd file type) and the BLL layers and it works pretty well for what the web application suppose to be but since I was asked to add a web service layer to this, I wonder how to do it?  And I wonder if it is necessary to have an additional layer?  What is the pros and cons for adding the we...

To use or not to use (web services / EAServer)
We (TSD) are developing client/server applications with PB for many years now (starting with PB 3.x). Now we are using PB 8.03 with ASA 8.02. In our PB applications we do have some business objects in seperate libraries. They consist of a datastore with a lot of functions. Functions do sometimes call visible objects. The last few years we see that users are more and more asking for Internet and PDA solutions. To prevent double source codes we like to have the same objects/functions for the 'old' client/server information and for the internet and PDA solutions. In our opi...

Problem in convert xml file (created using webservice) to datagridview(vb.net)
 i had created webservice with two functions 1 is hello which displays the text "Welcome" and 2 is GetNavisionItems which displays the database table in xml format. and publish that web site.Now i created another windows application project in vb.net by click a button i am invoking the webservice which i published.i can able to print the text "Welcome"but, i could not able to store the database table in xml format to DataGridView.now what i have to do pls suggest.below is my vb.net coding:Imports TestSample24_01_08.TestWSImports System.DataPublic Class Form1 &...

When should you use web services and when should you use ObjectDataSource?
I am unclear as to when it would make sense to encapsulate your database queries in a web service and when you would choose to use an ObjectDataSource control? I have an app that uses a web page to display data from an sql server 2005 database. Up until now I have been using an SqlDatasource with in-line sql queries. This is very direct and clear interms of binding and dta column names and feeding parameters into the datasource queries. However, in my attempts to align with larger scale implementations I thought it was sensible to consider web services and data access layers. However, I am...

Synchronous use of a web service is useful?
I was curious if a web service adds any value when its called 'synchronously' from an ASP.Net application. Both the web service and ASP.Net application are within an enterprise's internal network and on separate web servers. I would think the web service would add no value, but  instead lower the performance in above scenario. True or false?sun21170 Yes.I agree with you. It seems that the only time when a 'synchronous' web service would provide value is when one or both of the following features are needed:n-tier architecture needs to implemented. n-tier developm...

Delete Organization using Web Based Hosting webservice method throws exception: "The specified resource instance is still being used"
Step to reproduce exception: - Create an customer org inside a reseller - Create a distribution list (GLOBAL DISTRIBUTION) - Delete the distribution list - Use the DeleteOrganization of the Web Based Hosting namespace to delete the organization and get the exception: "The specified resource instance is still being used". However, if I use the DeleteOrganization of the Managed Active Directory namespace, it WORKS perfectly. Hieu NguyenAllstream ACS...

Problem datetime when transferring local SQL Server to Web Hosting SQL Server using XML Webservice
Dear all, We have recently integrated our internal timetracking (TT) system (Windows forms based )so that it can retrieve info from our (web based) bug tracking (BT) system. The BTS SQL Server is hosted in the USA on a shared server, the TT SQL server is stationed at our office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. During development we tested the XML webservice that handles the actual datatransfer between the two systems and everything works fine. After deployment of the XML webservice to the live environment (hosted service in USA) problems showed up: DateTime values arrive malformed. Examples:...

Using ATLAS without using Web Services
1. Is it possible to use ATLAS by some way so that we dont need to create any web services.2. is their any way to create a dummy page on the server and put all the functions into it, which we need to call through ajax on server side and then call those pages with some kind of query parameter so that it can understand which method or function need to be called and thus returns the result asynchronously.thanks and regardsgoru 1. Absolutely, though you'll find your self writing a lot more javascript, one way to do it is using the objects/functions defined in the AtlasRuntime.js, which act as ...

How to use Struct in Web Services using VS2005
Hi All, I am developing a web service which recieves the information from the client application and will store those on the SQL Server database. For this purpose, I would like to use C#.Net "struct". This is not visible from the client application. My question is how to make this struct as visible for client application. Please Help me. Code: public class Service : System.Web.Services.WebService {public Service () { [WebMethod]public string sampleMethod() {return "Sample Text"; } public struct testStruct {public string strOne;public string strTwo; } ...

How to use net use?
Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly? I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work. Keep getting sytax error message. Thanks in advance. "Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message news:9krutk$puu$1@news.grc.com... > Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly? > > I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work. Keep getting sytax > error message. what are you trying to do? There are about 50 options to "net use" that do a ton of different thin...

Web resources about - to use a webservice or not to use a webservice? - asp.net.xml-web-services

webservices Articles, Posts, Blogs, Videos - Technorati
— Authority: The job consist in a PHP program that read a file, compose a message (email or sms) and call an API of email provider (Amazon SES) ...

Section: software:webservices
Wired.com © 2012 Condé Nast. All rights reserved. Use of this Site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (effective 3/21/12) and Privacy ...

Products - CrunchBase
Product profiles

App Search on Flickr - Application Sharing!

Wikipedia:Press coverage 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you add an article, please cite both the title and the source. Note that if you're listing an article from a traditional press wire service ...

Entity–relationship model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In software engineering , an entity-relationship model ( ER model for short) is an abstract and conceptual representation of data . Entity-relationship ...

Entity-relationship model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In software engineering , an entity-relationship model ( ER model for short) is an abstract and conceptual representation of data . Entity-relationship ...

IT and Telecommunications Jobs in Melbourne Metro - MyCareer
Find IT and Telecommunications Jobs in Melbourne Metro on MyCareer. Fresh IT and Telecommunications Jobs posted daily. Free email alerts and ...

AWS Elastic Beanstalk: A Quick and Simple Way into the Cloud
Flexibility is one of the key principles of Amazon WebServices - developers can select any programming language and software package,any operating ...

How To Use the Amazon SDK for Android to Upload Photos to Amazon S3
This article demonstrates how to use the AWS SDK for Android to upload an image to Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) from your mobile device ...