Synchronous use of a web service is useful?

I was curious if a web service adds any value when its called 'synchronously' from an ASP.Net application. Both the web service and ASP.Net application are within an enterprise's internal network and on separate web servers. I would think the web service would add no value, but  instead lower the performance in above scenario. True or false?
sun21170
0
sun21170

Yes.I agree with you.

0
Jasson_King
9/14/2006 8:26:48 AM

It seems that the only time when a 'synchronous' web service would provide value is when one or both of the following features are needed:

  1. n-tier architecture needs to implemented. n-tier development has its benefits. (loose coupling between components)
  2. the processing being done by the web service is of a highly 'secure' nature, and so the web service should execute its methods on a separate  'unexposed' web server; if web service is on same web server as that of ASP.Net application, then that web server would be exposed to the internet.

Any comments.

sun21170
0
sun21170

Changing URL in web.config for web service
I added a web reference to asmx file. In web.config - it adds - undefinedadd key="CoreService.CoreServices" value="http://test/CoreServices.asmx I then change it to <add key="CoreService.CoreServices" value="http://test2/CoreServices.asmx"/> But CoreService.CoreServices still looks for http://test/CoreServices.asmx.  What else do i have to change? I think CoreService.CoreServices are hard coded into the source code.  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ I think CoreService.CoreServices are hard coded into the source code.  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ So no ...

send data from web service to local computer, using web services.
hii have a web application, on web server , and a database on my local computer in my office.i want to send data from my web pages to my local database.i think one way is using web services.i used that, but it has permission errors.that web service have this error :  Server Error in '/in' Application. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC30180: Keyword does not name a type.Source Err...

Need help with deciding to use or not to use web services in a web application
Hi all, I haven't used web services at all in my web application development and now I was asked to use web services in my web application.  I was a novice in ASP.NET since I'm just changed to ASP.NET from a Java background. I used the tutorial on MSDN to create the DAL (which is a .xsd file type) and the BLL layers and it works pretty well for what the web application suppose to be but since I was asked to add a web service layer to this, I wonder how to do it?  And I wonder if it is necessary to have an additional layer?  What is the pros and cons for adding the we...

change a web reference to a web service in the config file of an object used by a windows service
In my solution (visual studios 2005), I have a windows service and a business object.  The business object has a web reference to a web service.  I maid the web reference dynamic and it created an applicationSettings section in the appconfig:<configuration>           <applicationSettings>        <Objects.Properties.Settings>            <setting name="Objects_LookupService_auth"        &nbs...

Missing Design Tab in using Web Matrix for XML Web Services
Did anyone come across the following situation? After selecting the XML Web Service template with VB.NET as the language, Sample as the class and MatrixDemo as the namespace, a code view was opened by Web Matrix. However, unlike the usually interface, I can't find any tabs underneath the code view. No design tab, no HTML tab and no ALL tab. Did I miss anything?...

Consuming a .NET web service in Delphi 2010 using a service reference
Hi, I've been asked to modify one of my existing applications (D2010 Win32) to interact with a web service written under VS2010/.Net 4. The information I have so far is :- "As communication is secured by .NET WsHttpBinding data encrypting, In order to consume it you have to add to your application a Service Reference (not a web reference) that joins the service available at the URL: http://ctm.mobilling.it/SmsComApi/Sms.svc . Assuming that the binding created in your app.confing is named "WSHttpBinding_ISms" you have to instantiate a client as shown below: {c...

'web service call failed: 500' using ajax hovermenu and web service
Hi there, I'm using a hovermenuextender attached to a templatefield of a gridview, and everything seemed to work fine.. however I've moved on to add dynamic attributes to the hovermenu. Now I get the error "web service call failed: 500" in place of the output I want (on the hovermenu's panel). When accessing the web service I created (directly through the browser) everything works fine.. here's my hovermenuextender dynamic attributes DynamicContextKey='<%=eval("refnumber") %>' DynamicServiceMethod="GetS...

Has anyone successfully used a Delphi web service client against an ENCRYPTED WCF web service server?
Has anyone successfully used a Delphi web service client against an ENCRYPTED WCF web service server? Which is to say, of course, that the URL would be starting with https. Anyone? ...

Problem calling Web Service using the DynamicPopulate Extender
Hi, I'm quite new to ASP.Net AJAX so please forgive my ignorance.  I have downloaded and installed the RC1 version and am following through some of the tutorial videos.  I am having a problem with the Dynamic Populate Extender example.  I have created some asp controls with onclick events calling a javascript function.  From there I am attempting to use a dynamic populate extender control to call a web service - it's a function declared on that ASPX page as the tutorial explains in necessary and decorated with the System.Web.Services.WebMEthod AND System.Web.Script.Serv...

web service call failed: 500 using ajax hovermenu and web service with ascx file
I am using a hovermenu extender on an image button. The hovemenu extender calls a web service and returns back information that I write to the panel that displays. A portion of the code is below. This works when the Page is an aspx page but when I move it to an ascx page I get web service call failed. I do have the ascx page in a folder called controls/pages off of the root but both the default.aspx page and the bedinfo.asmx page are on the root. I don't think I have a path problem. I can include more complete code, there are actually 50 images with 50 hovermenu extenders and one p...

Re: Using XML Web Service in VS.NET
Dear all, I added a "test.asmx" file in my current project and I coded all Web Method in the test.asmx.cs in VS.NET. Now I want to ask how can I call the web methods in other C# Class? Suppose the class name of the asmx is "test". How can I instantiate the object of that class? Regards, Joe someone can correct me on this.... i hav done a walkthrough using XML webservice. I have created a windows application that can call methods from the webservice, with the use of a dataset in the webservice. after "adding a web reference" to my windows appli...

Web resources about - Synchronous use of a web service is useful? - asp.net.xml-web-services

Synchronous motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A synchronous electric motor is an AC motor in which the rotation of the shaft is synchronized with the frequency of the AC supply current; the ...

Sun-synchronous orbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Sun-synchronous orbit (sometimes called a heliosynchronous orbit) is a geocentric orbit which combines altitude and inclination in such a way ...

AC:IV release dates altered for synchronous global launch
Ubisoft has decided that Europeans shouldn't have to wait any longer than the people in North America to play its upcoming swashbuckling adventure ...

Google Adds Synchronous Replication to Protect Apps Data
Files stored in Google Docs or in Gmail files are broken up into digital pieces (some people call them "chunks") and stored on random servers ...

Google Chrome Brings The Magical Synchronous Web To Your Apple Screen
... connected to your Google account and it's available now on your iPhone or iPad. You should almost... Google's Chrome browser is fast, synchronous, ...

Opinion: Synchronous RTS Engines And A Tale of Desyncs
In this reprinted #altdevblogaday -opinion piece, Uber Entertainment's Forrest Smith explains that "Desync Detected" error message you see every ...

The synchronous vs. asynchronous communication debate is like deja-vu all over again
Since computing began there has been a non-battle between asynchronous and synchronous communication. Why a non-battle? Because with application ...

Zynga Boosts Support For Synchronous Multiplayer Mode In Several Games - TechCrunch
Zynga said it is boosting support for synchronous multiplayer tournaments in its games. The company's starting with its recent arcade title Bubble ...

The Synchronous Fireflies Of The Smokies Are A Sight Unlike Any Other
Earlier this month, I visited the Smoky Mountain National Park in hopes of capturing the annual firefly “light show” on camera — but it took ...

Destiny ARG begins: 'Distributed, synchronous effort required'
... and at the bottom of the page, a message. "Your node will remain active for 5 minutes, but may be reactivated as necessary. Distributed, synchronous ...