Send by Windows App - Receive by Web App - how ?

Ok. I've read something about Web Services (ex. http://abstractvb.com/code.asp?A=1004).

I want to make:

- Windows Application which after click the button would send string to the web page - example: "Server is online" or simply Boolean "True".

- Web Application will receive this string and if is "True" than on the page is displaying information that this is true till the windows application will close down.

How can I get simply that what I want ?

I have a problem, cause I don't know how to receive information form Win App and make to display results on other sites.

0
Grzesiek23

OK, let me make sure I understand you right...

  1. You have a Windows application that you want to display status information from (e.g. Whether or not a user is currently using the app).
  2. When a button in the Windows application is pushed, you want to post that status information to a web page.
  3. When the Windows application closes, you want to clear the status information from the status web page.

There are a few ways of doing this, and you don't need web services to do it. The idea is that the Windows application and the Web application with the status page need to share a resource. The Windows application writes to it, and the Web application reads from it.

Implementation 1:

Have the Windows application push out a Text file containing the status message you want to display, then having the web application read that file and display it. For this to work, both the Windows application and the Web application would need access to the file, probably located on a network share. You'll have to make sure that both the users of the Windows application and that the Web application account (e.g. NETWORK_SERVICE if you're running IIS 6.0) can read/write to that file.

Implementation 2:

Store the status message in the Web Application Application Cache. Create a seperate page or generic handler that simply receives the status message in a querystring variable and saves it to the Application Cache. In the Windows application, modify the button-click event handler to send an HttpRequest to this page with the status message in the querystring. Also, when the application is closing, hook into that event handler and send another HttpRequest with the status message set to an empty string.

If neither of these implementations sound right, please explain what you're attempting to do in a bit more detail.

Steve Commisso
MCSD.NET, MCPD: EAD
0
scommisso
1/18/2007 10:25:12 PM

If you really want to use web services, you can also create a web service that keeps track of the status information -- I would recommend storing it in a database or a flat file so that it lives past IIS recycles. Then, expose two methods to interact with this information -- one to read and one to write. Again, this web service needs to be visible to both the Windows application and the Web application.

IMHO, this approach is a bit overkill for what you want to do. I would prefer implementation 1. For some added security for the status file, you can create a service account that the Windows Application and the Web Application impersonate when accessing the file, and then only allowing access to that file/directory by that account.

Steve Commisso
MCSD.NET, MCPD: EAD
0
scommisso

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

Determining if an app is a web app or a windows app
Hi all,  I'm writing a generic utilites class and one of the methods needs to get the physical path of the application. I know Server.MapPath("~") gets the server path of the app for windows and also that Application.ExecutablePath gets the path for windows app. Now how would i determine which app is a windows app or a web app?   Thanks in advance. add a reference to system.web and then do the following  if (System.Web.HttpContext.Current == null)            {       &...

convert java web app 2 .NET web app
Hi, i am able to convert java console app to .NET console app.but i am unable to convert java web based application to .NET web based application. can u give me some idea as to how to convert that. Thanks in advance,nizam. I believe the technical phrase is.. rtfm?  lol.  you're going to have to do it the hard way.  JSP operates on a different theory of web development than asp.net/asp.net 2.0Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. Try these two links for sample code and free book from Microsoft, ...

What action by a web service requires an app to update their web reference to a Web Service
I create a web reference to a web service in my aspx web application which returns an XML object. If the owner of the web service makes a change to their object am I required to do an update web reference? What if I dont use the information from the new object? thanks Larry You should make the change only if the contract b/w the two has changed (e.g. parameters, return values), etc.-Mathew Nolton Website=www.cybral.com Email=mnolton@cybral.com Blog=weblogs.asp.net/mnolton If the web service now returns a new element and my class reference doesn't match their new class ref...

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

Web app to Windows app.
I’m new at this so please bear with me. In theory, is it possible to create a .net web application that can talk to a .net windows application? What I would like to accomplish is to use a .net web app to talk to Microsoft’s Windows Media Batch Encoder. Any comments are appreciated. Tome...

VB.NET Data Grid, windows app to web app
Is it possible to make a Web Application Data Grid element with identical functionality as a Windows Application Data Grid? When I run the code as a windows application, it allows me to make direct edits of each database record through the data grid. When I run the code through a browser, however, it only displays the records. This is the code:Any suggestions? Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Dim connstr As String = "data source=SERVER;initial catalog=DB;user id=USER;password=PASSWORD;" Dim sqlStr As String = "SELECT * FROM Users" Dim dt As New DataTable Private Sub btnLoad_Click(B...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

Regular web app or Mobile web app.
Im targeting PocketPCs only (w/PocketIE). I changed the web.config to cookieless="true" and placed buttons with events. Im getting the postbacks and everything looks good so far... Can we just use this intead of the mobile web app project? Whats the difference? Duke You can use either a regular Web app or a mobile app, presuming you are targeting ONLY Pocket IE. Pocket IE accepts HTML.Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog...

Need helps on deploying a web services or web app to an existing web server
Hi people, I am going to deploy a new web service and a new web application to an existing web server, which is also hosting several other web apps. I am told that the IIS CAN NOT BE STOPPED, which means I can not build a MSIs to install them. Looks like only two options I can use: 1) XCOPY 2) Publish the web service or web app through the VS 2008. Can anyone please give me some advices what is the best way to have a deployment without any interruptings and less problems. Thank you.    use FTP to copy files from your system to web hoster system. you ca...

web app with multiple web services
Hi all, I intend on having a web app which would have many .asmx files. Some would be atlas web services and some would be regular web services. I noticed that in the web.config it changes the httphandler for .asmx files. Will this affect all my .asmx files? Is there anyway to restrict this based on folder paths etc?TIA! Yes, you can restrict handlers to specific files or directories. Please note that even though the .asmx requests are now handled by a different handler, it should not break anything. All this handler does is return a JavaScript proxy when someone requested the service...

Web app called by windows app...
Hey everyone,Well I have not worked with .Net at all regarding windows apps etc. What I have is a website with a secure login. My customer wants all his employees to access the secure site without knowing the user name and password, as there is a high turn over rate. Is there a good way to accomplish this?My thoughts were possibly to create a windows app they could download and execute which would basically pass encrypted parameters to our secure login page, therefore logging them in and no one being the wiser.Is this poosible?Is there a better way?Hope I explained it well!Thank youJorellz...

connect web app to windows app
Hello folks.i want to connect web application(asp.net) to desktop application and transfer data but when some events triggered from user web browser. (for example live support packages)i know it can be done in win applications with sockets but I'm not sure for asp.net applications.Any advice/help greatly appreciated.   oh, no body knows? It is possible to wire into events on the client, but this is outside the scope of ASP.Net.  Presuming your Desktop APP is a dotnet app this is a Windows Forms question, consider posting here http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.asp...

Web app calling a windows app
How do I get my web app to open a windows program on the server side using a button click evenT? First off you'd have to give the ASPNET user execute priviledges on the server which I don't think that you want to do.NC... Hi,If the windows Program is of exe format then try with the following codeTry to include the exe in to your web folder or the ASP.NET process needs to have permissions to access the external applicationstring filePath = Server.MapPath(@"ApplicationName.exe"); System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo info = new System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo(filePath , "Arguments of th...

running windows apps in web apps
Hi all, just to check it out if there is a way to run a windows app when a button in a web app is clicked.? Hi, you're referring to what's known as smart clients. You can place a windows forms executable in the virtual folder of your webserver (IIS of course ), then create a hyperlink in your webform to the executable. If the enduser has the correct .NET framerwok installed he/she can execute the application on his/her pc. Another trick, one I recently used BTW, is to embed a winforms user control, build as .dll file, in a webform. An example can be found here: Hosting a Windows Contr...

Web resources about - Send by Windows App - Receive by Web App - how ? - asp.net.xml-web-services

The Windows Blog

Canberrans continue to pay tribute to window washer who touched their soul
Tributes have continued to flow for a humble window cleaner who became a routine feature at a Dickson intersection for more than 20 years.

Canberra says goodbye to Dickson window washer, Ian 'Scrubby' Stokes
Canberrans are mourning the death of one of the city's most familiar faces, Ian 'Scrubby' Stokes.

Transfer Window Live 20/01: Byram 'Done'; Swansea Enquire About Allen; Chelsea ...
90min Transfer Window Live 20/01: Byram 'Done'; Swansea Enquire About Allen; Chelsea ... 90min Hammers co-chairman David Sullivan told Sky ...

Comparison breaks down all the missing features in Office for Mac & iPad vs Windows
This comparison of the differences between Microsoft Office on Mac, Windows, and iOS devices was put together by Kurt Schmucker who (disclaimer) ...

Warner Bros. ignores PC players, drops Windows support for Mortal Kombat X
Shown here: Owners of the PC version of Mortal Kombat X While versions of many Mortal Kombat games have come to the PC over the years, the series ...

KillEmAll 5 instantly closes everything on your Windows desktop
... all non-essential applications at the click of a button. The program could be very useful in emergencies maybe to close all open browser windows ...

A developer is so frustrated by the Windows 10 app store, he's telling people to stop writing Windows ...
For months, developers have been complaining about a big problem with Microsoft's Windows 10 app store: their apps never show up in the search ...