Returning Excel file from web service

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?  I haven't worked with Web Services much and can't find anything on google.

ScAndal

.NET Web Based CRM http://www.kineticcrm.com
.NET Consulting http://www.kineticmedia.net
0
ScAndal

There are some options.

The first is simply to return a data type of byte array (byte[]) with the file serialized to the array (using .Net binary serializer, tons of web examples).

The more elegant approach would be to use MTOM, message transmission optimization mechanism.  This is a standard mechanism for transmitting files via web services.

Here is one example of using MTOM, which is part of Web Service Enhancments 3.0 (a .Net add-on)

http://www.codeproject.com/soap/MTOMWebServices.asp

 I believe if you download and install WSE 3.0 you should also get simpler examples of writing MTOM based services.

0
aaron
10/30/2007 3:41:36 PM

We don't use it in a web service, but for reporting we have XML data sources and have used XSL templates to generate ExcelML files that our users can open and use with Excel.

It actually works really well.  You could certainly incorporate that into a web service.

0
ltgrady7
10/30/2007 9:13:16 PM

Thanks guys.  I'm going to go the byte array route.

.NET Web Based CRM http://www.kineticcrm.com
.NET Consulting http://www.kineticmedia.net
0
ScAndal

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

Is web services a part of web Service?

create valid xml to send to web service based on the schema provided by web service
Problem: I have a web page which is being populated from a dataset containing multiple tables.  I now need to call a web service and send the majority of this data to be incorporate into a mainframe system.  I have been supplied with the schema that the web service will be using to validate the data.  I am new to web services and I am not sure how to take my existing dataset and transform it into an xml document that matches the schema I was provided with. There is a main schema with an element which is a custom complex type.  This custom type consists of an element whi...

change a web reference to a web service in the config file of an object used by a windows service
In my solution (visual studios 2005), I have a windows service and a business object.  The business object has a web reference to a web service.  I maid the web reference dynamic and it created an applicationSettings section in the appconfig:<configuration>           <applicationSettings>        <Objects.Properties.Settings>            <setting name="Objects_LookupService_auth"        &nbs...

creatig and returning xml in .net web service
I am new to the .net web service world. Recently I started writing a web service. This web service is going to interact with Java client. Hence I will be returning XML from web service. I am writing web service using vb.net in VS2008. My web service is goign to call a stored procedure. Stored procedure is supposed to retun me some records. Based on these records I have to create XML and return it as web service response. Till now I was able to write web service and stored proc. I am not sure how to build a response xml. Does anybody have any link or any idea on how to do this. I trie...

New to web services, why does PB10 web service proxy wizard say there are no services?
here... http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/205-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl oops typo... still doesn't show any services though... http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/2005-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl "Chance" <chance@booklog.com> wrote in message news:43b44cb3$1@forums-1-dub... > here... > > http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/205-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl > Upgraded to 10.2x and now seems to be working...at least it created the proxy. "Chance" <chance@booklog.co...

Web resources about - Returning Excel file from web service - asp.net.xml-web-services

Returning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In retail , returning is the process of a customer taking previously purchased merchandise back to the retailer, and in turn, receiving a cash ...

Mark Zuckerberg Returning To TechCrunch Disrupt
Facebook Co-Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg took the stage at last year’s TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco, where he discussed ...

How-to: Improve the Experience for Returning Users
... – your inbox, your favorite news sources, or your friends’ activity. If you’ve integrated Facebook Login on your website, you can give returning ...

Search Twitter - emilia-clarke-not-returning
Sign in Sign up Search Refresh K. @ kikeurbina 1h Muy malas noticias: 'GAME OF THRONES' STAR EMILIA CLARKE (DAENERYS) NOT RETURNING FOR SEASON ...

Is the Returning CEO a Trend?
... well be wondering if it is a new trend for boards to reach back into their alumni ranks to bring back a CEO when a company is in Is the Returning ...

Returning fire - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
A U.S. Army soldier with the 101st Airborne Division returns fire with a M249 light machine gun during combat operations in the valley of Barawala ...

Marines Celebrate Returning Home With a Huge Pillow Fight Aboard the Airplane - YouTube
Visit http://WelcomeHomeBlog.com for more surprise military homecomings! In this clip, a group of marines celebrate their safe return home from ...

WWE’s Daniel Bryan on WWE 2K16, facing Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania, returning to the ring and life on ...
The four-time WWE world champion discusses whether it is right for Stone Cold Steve Austin to be the cover star of WWE 2K16, as well as who he ...

Damn Fine News of the Day: Kyle MacLachlan is Returning to ‘Twin Peaks’
In case you missed it, David Lynch announced on Twitter Monday that Kyle MacLachlan will reprise his role as Special Agent Dale Cooper in the ...

Injury not enough to keep official caught in crossfire from returning to action
The NRL match official caught in the crossfire of angry Bulldogs fans says he has no intention of stepping down from his role on the sidelines. ...