Problem in web service's web method's parameters.

Hello All,

I am tring to consume a Java web service in ASP.NET(c#) application.

In the web service, the web method 'checklogin' accepts 2 string parameters only, with return type a boolean variable.

 But, when I use that method in my ASP.NET application it shows me 4 parameters in the definition namely 2 string parameters(which should be there) and extra 2  boolean type OUT parameters. Out of these 2 extra OUT parameters, in the 1st parameter I get the return variable of the web method which I called/used and in the 2nd parameter, its showing nothing (means its showing default value).

e.g. the actual definition for the web method is -

bool checkLogin(string username,string password)

and the definition I am getting at the time of calling that method is -

checkLogin(string username,string password, out bool return, out bool returnspecified).

Can anybody please figure out that where the actually problem is? In the Java web service or in the .NET application and why its showing 2 extra parameters?

Thanks in advance.

Ashish R.

0
rashish12

What does is the WSDL for the method?

0
RogerRabbit
5/15/2008 4:35:07 PM

 I am getting the  same number of parameters in WSDL too as I have defined in the web service i.e 2 string parameters.

 But still its prompting for 4 parameters while using in ASP.NET application.

0
rashish12
5/16/2008 9:01:33 AM

Is your return value (bool) declared as nullable?

eg: bool?  or Nullable<bool>

0
RogerRabbit
5/27/2008 4:35:59 PM

No, I havent declared the return value as nullable.

0
rashish12
5/28/2008 3:22:06 PM

Sorry, I just realized this is a Java web service.  I think you will find that the WSDL contains the attribute nillable="true" where the response type for the web services is declared.  For every nillable parameter or return value in the web method, .Net generates a *specified property to indicate if the type is null.  In your example this means that the function returns the boolean value and a value indicating if the boolean value is null.  Since a function can only return one value and not two, the two return values are converted to ref or out parameters.

0
RogerRabbit

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

It's all very fuzzy now...can make web request(?) but definately can't get web response from web service
Alas...trying to get a web service response from a web service that is part of the web site in Visual Studio.Net 3.5 appears to be impossible.  Infact, I've been ALL over the internet over the past couple of days looking at all types of fragmentory examples in all types of Microsoft languages to no avail. =========QUESTION:=========1.  How do I call a web service (the function to call is "WebService_BulkData") so that my aspx page will send it a SOAP request and print out the web service response data to the page?  The aspx page AND the web service are part of t...

'System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException' occurred in system.web.services.dll
HI, I am trying to call a webservice that is running at another server and the webservice accesses data from the database on the same server. I have checked the database permissions and stuff, but I am getting this error.. I am not sure why the user name is displayed as 'null' ???? An unhandled exception of type 'System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException' occurred in system.web.services.dll Additional information: Server was unable to process request. --> Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. You're accesing a S...

'web service call failed: 500' using ajax hovermenu and web service
Hi there, I'm using a hovermenuextender attached to a templatefield of a gridview, and everything seemed to work fine.. however I've moved on to add dynamic attributes to the hovermenu. Now I get the error "web service call failed: 500" in place of the output I want (on the hovermenu's panel). When accessing the web service I created (directly through the browser) everything works fine.. here's my hovermenuextender dynamic attributes DynamicContextKey='<%=eval("refnumber") %>' DynamicServiceMethod="GetS...

Web Service Data come Before 'BeforeDeserialize' stage or during it's execution.
Hello, When web service data will come....I want the solution for the things where I am unclear.It is like…….My web service is having web method called GetData(). This method will return dataset which is containing 10000 records.I am using Soap Extension in my windows application to alter soap messages.So all data sent by Web Service to the Windows Application will come to the Windows application,before 'BeforeDeserialize' stage will execute or they will come in chunks during execution occur at this stage.Now when this web service will return data set to ...

Can´t make a web site with a toolkit's component work in Godaddy's hosting service
When trying to reach a page with a toolkit's component I get the following Parser Error Message: "Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest."Please somebody tell me if is there anything I must add to the web.config file to make it work. Many thanks in advance.  Have a look at this thread it will help you to solve this issue.http://forums.asp.net/p/1043427/1802895.aspx ...

What's an XML web service?
What's an XML web service? Great new article, just came out today: http://www.webpronews.com/webdevelopment/webapplications/wpn-27-20041228AnExtensiveExaminationofWebServicesPart1.html You can also Google "XML web service".Cristian SturekPrincipal SOA Architecthttp://www.xwebservices.comhttp://www.soahub.com Also see if my brief article help you! It's @ http://www.w3coder.com/ws/WSGWBook/WebServGW-01.XMLSreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti simply put it enables you to make a method call to a remote machine using standard protocols. ima...

[Microsoft.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()]
Hi I'm trying to use the [Microsoft.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()]  in my web service, but when I compile I receive the following error message: Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Web' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?) Any suggestions how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance! RegardsEdward Hi, the correct namespace is System.Web.Script.Services.Alessandro Gallo | Blog | My book: ASP.NET AJAX In Action If like me and you watched Joe Stagners terrific video "How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbac...

Can't 'Add Web Reference' of Java AXIS Web Service!
Hi All, I'm trying to consume a web service written in AXIS, but am having serious issues. Namely, when I try to add it as web reference, I get to a web page that displays: "MyWebServiceName, Hi there, this is an AXIS service!, Perhaps there will be a form for invoking the service here... "  I do have wsdl file of the web service, however when I try to manually create the proxy I get several binding errors and the process fails. Also, the web service does not seem to accept POST as I always seem to be getting http 500 errors. At this point I have no idea what else to t...

.net framework 1.1 web service method returning an empty array when using demeanor's obfuscation tool
We have a .net 1.1 web service that our client code is calling that takes a string as argument and returns an array of a custom class that we have defined. The custom class currently contains only serializable data types (strings).  Calling this method works when the client is unobfuscated. Calling this method returns an array of the correct size but is empty when the caller is obfuscated.  We validated that the web service is returning the correct data from the method call when the client is obfuscated. We have also ensured that the custom class in the proxy is being exclu...

Web Service Stop's Working Need To Update web reference from within Visual Studio
Anyone have any idea why when I consume a asp.net web service from vs2005 it works great for a few days and then the connection becomes lost and stops working.  The only way to fix it is to update the web reference from vs2005, but the location of the file hasn't changed?  Hi stevegourley, >>The only way to fix it is to update the web reference from vs2005, but the location of the file hasn't changed?  Update the web reference can fix the problem means the WSDL already changed but the programming interface is exactly the same. It could be the problem of your...

(Noob's CMS problem) Method not found: 'System.Security.NamedPermissionSet System.Web.HttpRuntime.GetNamedPermissionSet()'.
Okay, I'm a total noob when it comes to ASP.net, and because I can't code on my own, I usually rely on pre-built CMSs (Content Management Systems) to make the website. I have tried at least 3 of these in IIS with ASP.NET 2.0, including AxCMS and DNN (Dot Net Nuke). All give the same error, Method not found: 'System.Security.NamedPermissionSet  System.Web.HttpRuntime.GetNamedPermissionSet()'. The screen ASP.NET gives me is as follows:Server Error in '/' Application. Method not found: 'System.Security.NamedPermissionSet System.Web.HttpRuntime.GetNamedPermissionSet()'. ...

Web Service
[WebMethod]public DataSet GetDataSetForum2(){DataSet datasource = new DataSet();string database = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|/topic.mdb;Persist Security Info=True";string queryStr = "Select * from Comment";OleDbConnection myConn = new OleDbConnection(database);OleDbDataAdapter myDataAdapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(queryStr, myConn);myConn.Open();myDataAdapter.Fill(datasource, "Comment");myConn.Close();return datasource;} localhost.Topic topic = new localhost.Topic(); string topicId = Request.QueryString["TopicID"].To...

Compiler Error Message: BC2017: could not find library 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Services\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.Services.dll'
  Server Error in '/Bradford' Application. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC2017: could not find library 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Services\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.Services.dll'Source Error:[No relevant source lines]Source File: vbc : Command line    Line: 0 Show Detailed Compiler Output:c:\windows\system32\inetsrv> "C:\WI...

Web resources about - Problem in web service's web method's parameters. - asp.net.xml-web-services