Multiple Vb.NET apps accessign a Web Service

Hello,

I have 4 VB.NET applications which are each monitoring a piece of equipment. When the equipment is in error is sends a string to the VB.NET app. I need to save this string information to a central SQL Server database.

Should I put database access into each VB.NET application or should I have them connect to a web service which will do the database stuff on behalf of the VB.NET  application.

I'm new to .net and i'm wondering if this would be the way to go. Do web services scale well if multiple clients access the same web service method or will my VB.NET client have to wait until the web service is available.

I going to need IIS and ASP.NET for a web based reporting system so is web services and IIS the way to go for storing the error messages in the database. All the apps will be on the same LAN.

thanks,

Ken

0
kfc

 kfc wrote:

I have 4 VB.NET applications which are each monitoring a piece of equipment. When the equipment is in error is sends a string to the VB.NET app. I need to save this string information to a central SQL Server database.

Should I put database access into each VB.NET application or should I have them connect to a web service which will do the database stuff on behalf of the VB.NET  application.

In this scenario, web service looks like a overkill to me. Look into Microsoft

Exception Handling  Application Block

 kfc wrote:

I'm new to .net and i'm wondering if this would be the way to go. Do web services scale well if multiple clients access the same web service method or will my VB.NET client have to wait until the web service is available.

 you should be fine if users load is not too heavy otherwise look into web garden configuration.

hope this helps,

Vick

http://vikasnetdev.blogspot.com
0