HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable

We try to reach a web service on a remote web server, but sometimes it returns a 503 exception. Most of the time it just works fine... the exact error message is as follows:

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable
When I try to get the ?WSDL of the Web Service, everything behaves correctly. But now and then, the Web Service cannot be called correctly from an ASP.NET web site.
Does anyone know what causes this strange problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Hugo
0
hetnet

The 503 status means that the server is unable to process the request.  It is expected that the situation is temporary, which probably explaisn why you only see it intermitantly.  This is one of the drawbacks of a web service based architecture, so from a coding perspective, you should catch the exception and decide if you want to perform an immediate retry or notify the client that a connection problem has been encountered.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Johnson [.NET MVP]
http://www.objectsharp.com/blogs/Bruce
0
BruceJohnson
9/7/2004 7:05:25 PM
I send this response from one of my web services to indicate that the service is offline for legacy batch processing.  Is there a pattern to the 503 error?  Certain time of day, etc.?
0
Stephen
9/7/2004 9:49:13 PM

I have a similar problem.  So the http 503 service unavilable is because of the web service connection not from the application server. My app calls a web service method for login.  And the web service method login() is called from the MS Active Directory (LDAP).  I have this once a while and most of the time every time it happens, i check my application server and the CPU usage is almost max.  I never check  the LDAP server to see.  Some times it happens in just a second and then it comes right back.  Some times it takes longer.  Any of your help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0
rancon
3/18/2009 6:20:43 PM

I have a similar problem.  So the http 503 service unavilable is because of the web service connection not from the application server. My app calls a web service method for login.  And the web service method login() is called from the MS Active Directory (LDAP).  I have this once a while and most of the time every time it happens, i check my application server and the CPU usage is almost max.  I never check  the LDAP server to see.  Some times it happens in just a second and then it comes right back.  Some times it takes longer.  Any of your help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0
rancon
3/18/2009 6:22:17 PM

You say, "application server and the CPU usage is almost max".

 Fix that.

John Saunders | MVP – Connected System Developer
0
johnwsaunders3

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
Hi all,   Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times Ne...

how to set status code of http response to 503 service unavailable
 hi i want to generate browser 503 error message in my httpmodule code when i set 403 or 404,500  it is displaying the corresponding error page but wheni set it to 414,503 it is displaying only palin page.    if (blockedHitCount == "true") {ErrorLog.WriteErrorLog(HttpContext.Current.Request, "", "inside blocked cache " + blockedHitCount.ToString()); HttpContext.Current.Response.StatusCode = 503;HttpContext.Current.Response.AppendToLog("inside blocked"); HttpContext.Current.Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.N...

Help required [The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.]
Hi,I am accessing a web service, through internet, which is hosted on a distant server machine. It works fine while debugging the code (step by step) but crashes with "HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable" error when run with CTRL + F5. Any ideas as to how to resolve/diagnose the problem? Thanks & Regards,Omer Javed ...

Preferred Domain Controller fails with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
Hi I am currently setting up a lab with HMC 3.5 and I am having problem when using Provisioning front end to connect to ResourceManagerWebClient. I can connect to that website, first I am asked for user and pass, I connect as domain admin. Then when I enter the "Preferred Domain Controller": AD01.labdomain.sna The error that I get there is: Error in QueryResources:ShowBusinessMailstores: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable. I did a nslookup of AD01.labdomain.sna and I get the right IP address C:\>nslookup AD01.labdomain.sna*** Can't find server name for a...

create valid xml to send to web service based on the schema provided by web service
Problem: I have a web page which is being populated from a dataset containing multiple tables.  I now need to call a web service and send the majority of this data to be incorporate into a mainframe system.  I have been supplied with the schema that the web service will be using to validate the data.  I am new to web services and I am not sure how to take my existing dataset and transform it into an xml document that matches the schema I was provided with. There is a main schema with an element which is a custom complex type.  This custom type consists of an element whi...

system.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed. Error in Calling Web Service Function
Hello Friends, I am using a web service to get availability information. i have only following url http://webservices.micros.com/ows/5.1/Availability.wsdl I added Web References to the VS 2008 project , then i tried C# proxy class created from wsdl tool But when i am calling any function from code it gives following error system.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed. Please check the following page http://go-dev.com/clients/newyorkerhotelTest/reservations.aspx And click the Check Availability Button. Please tell me what...

New to web services, why does PB10 web service proxy wizard say there are no services?
here... http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/205-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl oops typo... still doesn't show any services though... http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/2005-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl "Chance" <chance@booklog.com> wrote in message news:43b44cb3$1@forums-1-dub... > here... > > http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/205-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl > Upgraded to 10.2x and now seems to be working...at least it created the proxy. "Chance" <chance@booklog.co...

Is web services a part of web Service?

Web resources about - HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable - asp.net.xml-web-services

Korea Box Office: ‘Good Dinosaur’ Wins Weekend
“Good Dinosaur” opened on top of a Korean box office chart with five newcomers.

The 2016 State of the Union Will Be Streamed by Amazon
The Obama administration has been remarkably proactive in using new technology to force people to pay attention to politics. Among other things, ...

Florida Woman's Mysterious Death In Italy Sparks Investigation
CBS Local Florida Woman's Mysterious Death In Italy Sparks Investigation CBS Local Ashley Olsen, in an image posted to her Instagram page. ...

Apple Music is growing fast, but it probably won’t pass Spotify this year
Apple Music now has 10 million subscribers, according to the Financial Times . Assuming the report is accurate, Apple added more than one subscriber ...

More Than 500 Crimes Committed On New Year's Eve in Cologne, Germany
More than 500 criminal cases were committed on New Year’s Eve in Cologne, Germany, with 40 percent involving sexual assault. Read more...

Bengals Fan Urinated on Another Fan, Others Punched Women During Cincinnati-Pittsburgh Playoff Game
On a night when the Bengals unraveled late in the 4th quarter and gave a playoff game away to the Steelers, fans from both sides lost their minds ...

Jeremy Corbyn's Twitter hacker drops Scottish and Australian slang
Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party in the UK, experienced quite a bit of anarchy on his Twitter account when it appeared to be hacked ...

Call for supplies as Oregon standoff enters second week
seattlepi.com Call for supplies as Oregon standoff enters second week seattlepi.com Members of the FBI stand guard at the Burns Municipal ...

Elon Musk predicts Teslas will self-drive across the USA by 2018
Sure, Tesla's new Summon feature is cool, but according to Elon Musk it's just the start of the company's grand self-driving plans, describing ...

Packers, Seahawks advance in NFL playoffs
A dramatic missed field goal saw the Seattle Seahawks edge past the Minnesota Vikings as the Green Pay Packers demolished the Washington Redskins ...