How does a non dot net app read a dataset from a web service?

I am returning a list of contacts from a SQL DB into a dataset within a web service. Can other apps such as VB6 get to this data? I wondered if dataset was exclusive to dot net apps only. Also how would a classic asp app read this dataset?

0
newbiecoder

Yes the dataset is exclusive to dot net apps..

If your client is Vb6  , here are some suggestions

1. use soap toolkit and decode the dataset returned by webserive in soap format.

2, let a .net client talk to web service and pass the data from .net client to vb6.0 applications.

I have never tried any of these options. :)

Best of luck

Vick

http://vikasnetdev.blogspot.com
0
vick93
4/22/2005 7:53:40 PM
DataSets are really just representations of XML documents, and they have many members that allow you to convert them from and to these documents.  Your classic ASP app should be able to deal with XML, so I would take that route.

Hope that helpsBig Smile,

John B.
http://johnsbraindump.blogspot.com

John B.
http://johnsbraindump.blogspot.com
0
jmbledsoe

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

Can WSE 3.0 Web Service be exposed to the web and can it be consumed by non .Net apps?
If I write a WSE 3.0 web service in .Net 2.0, can I expose it to the web like an IIS XML web service.?Also, can this web service be consumed by non .Net apps or .Net 1.1. apps?sun21170 Yes, simply enable your web service project for WSE 3, and this will alter web.config to support WSE 3 web services in IIS.The web service can be consumed by non .Net clients, however .Net 1.1 clients may struggle unless you add WSE support ans generate specific WSE proxies at the client end.  JamesMy Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.com/blogs/JamesWinters...

.NET Web Service and Non .NET programe
When we develop a web service by VB.NET. Then i use visual basic, Microsoft access, asp. Can these stuff access to my web service ? Means you want to access Webserver developed in VB.NET in ASP application?Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

.NET CLIENT TO ACCESS a non. NET WEB SERVICE
I develop in .net and need to create a web client to connect to a web service built in Java. http://xchainj.com:8080/axis/services/ScsEnvirodatWaterQualityIndexServiceSoap Its pretty easy when the web service was also built in .net. You can just create a web reference with the gui and automatically can see its functions and stuff. when i put this url in the box and hit go i dont get to see its functions. maybe this shouldnt be the url of the WSDL?? I Have no idea. Im very new to all of this. If there are any examples of .net clients connecting to non .net web clients it woul...

What do non-.net users need to do to consume a .net web service?
Hello, I'm very new to web service world and haven't had much chance to do much reading on theory and architecture yet. So I'm asked to create one for someone external to my organization (still inside my company). I make one, test it, deploy it, consume it. Go me. It was very easy within my comfortable .net shop. However, the intended consumer is not a .Net shop (J2EE). I was under the impression that if I sent in a GET request to the asmx file, I would get XML back. This turned out to be not the case and I had to use the proxy file to prove that I could consume the service. S...

What action by a web service requires an app to update their web reference to a Web Service
I create a web reference to a web service in my aspx web application which returns an XML object. If the owner of the web service makes a change to their object am I required to do an update web reference? What if I dont use the information from the new object? thanks Larry You should make the change only if the contract b/w the two has changed (e.g. parameters, return values), etc.-Mathew Nolton Website=www.cybral.com Email=mnolton@cybral.com Blog=weblogs.asp.net/mnolton If the web service now returns a new element and my class reference doesn't match their new class ref...

talking to web services from a non dot net environment
Dear all, I have created few web services that i would like to expose to dot net and non dot net clients. Are there any pros and cons as to what should i follow of making them available to both client types? Also if i were to return a class from my web service that contains a byte array and 5 strings inside how would i do it? Any examples? Would non dot net clientss be able to read that class? Do i need to pass them something else?   Sincerely DanDan Is it possible to retrieve one custom class from a web service? Like a class that has a byte array and 5 string arrays? C...

Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET
Folks, I had the situation that Ajax AutoComplete events in the web service did not fire after I copied a project out of a folder, renamed it and moved it to a server. The fix was hard to find but easy to solve. I had some web service modules in an ASMX file that provided AutoComplete entries -- i.e., after the user keys in 2 or 3 characters, the list of possible entries with those leading characters is displayed for the user to select. To solve the problem, look at the web service's directive, not the code-behind or the ASMX designer.  Do a right-mouse-click...

Can Non-.NET Web Service Clients Use Datasets?
If a .NET-written web serice returns a dataset, can a web service not written in .NET use that dataset? If not, what should be returned? thanks in advance, Geoff I would return a string (in xml format possibly) - you could probably just return DataSet.ToXML() as the return value How about creating an object to represent each row in the dataset and then putting it into an array?...

Web resources about - How does a non dot net app read a dataset from a web service? - asp.net.xml-web-services

United States Department of Health and Human Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United States Department of Health and Human Services ( HHS ) is a Cabinet department of the United States government with the goal of protecting ...

In the end the Beatles finally come to streaming services
It's been a long and winding road to get the Beatles on your devices and streaming services, but you've finally reached your destination and ...

The Beatles arrive on 9 different streaming music services
... December 24th in every time zone around the world, a huge portion of The Beatles' catalog will be available to stream on nine different services. ...

New online service seeks to shake up Seattle's office leasing market
... tools, such as a new one called Crelow. The Minneapolis-based startup, which launched in Seattle Wednesday, bills itself as matchmaking service ...

The Beatles discography will be on streaming services as of Christmas Eve
... any music fan can get excited about. As of 12:01 AM local time on Christmas Eve, The Beatles' entire discography will be on streaming services ...

How video streaming services are changing the future of TV
... created, distributed, and monetized. This shift has been brought on by the rising popularity of over-the-top content and video streaming services. ...

Favorite apps and services of 2015
Save time and money with our Windows editor's favorites: Android Pay, Google Fi, PlayStation Vue, and Windows 10.

College Financial Service Provider Higher One To Pay $28M In Fines, Refunds For Misleading Students
Higher One, Inc. promises to help students reach their goal of achieving a degree by providing money management and refund services. But federal ...

Taiwan market: Taiwan Secom provides retail management services via cooperation with Microsoft
Taiwan Secom, the largest residential/commercial security service provider in Taiwan, on December announced cooperation with Microsoft to provide ...

The Beatles Hit Music Streaming Services at Midnight Tonight
Announced this morning, The Beatles are finally, finally hitting music streaming services across the globe, and yes, this includes Google Play ...