Exception while calling .NET web service | System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Hi,

We have written a .NET web service which retrieves an xml file from the database. This web service is SSL secured and requires client certificates for connection.

Problem:

The web service is throwing an exception while retrieving large files. It works fine when the file size is around 1 MB, but fails with a file size of around 65 MB with the following exception:

System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 38455668). ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.BeginReceive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32size, SocketFlags socketFlags, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

   at System.Net.TlsStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback asyncCallback, Object asyncState)

   at System.Net.Connection.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

   at System.Net.ConnectStream.InternalBeginRead(Int32 bytesToRead, NestedSingleAsyncResult castedAsyncResult, Boolean fromCallback)

   at System.Net.ConnectStream.BeginReadWithoutValidation(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

   at System.Net.ConnectStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

   at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

   at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer(Char[] userBuffer, Int32 userOffset, Int32 desiredChars, Boolean& readToUserBuffer)

   at System.IO.StreamReader.Read(Char[] buffer, Int32 index, Int32 count)

The web service fails after around 120 seconds.

Steps taken without success:

  1. Added a key DefaultTTL with value 255 in registry under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters to increase the time out period of the TCP/IP connection but it didn’t help. The web service again fails after around 2 minutes.
  2. Checked that the web service is not getting timed out. Timeout property is specifically set to a large value before calling the web service using webservice.Timeout property.
  3. Applied a hotfix for .NET Framework from Windows which was to fix a very similar problem. Following is the information about the same:

887563 Availability of the .NET Framework 1.1 Post-Service Pack 1 rollup package for System.dll. However, this didn’t fix the problem.

Any pointers to resolve the problem will be appreciated!

0
manojsh

Are you using IIS6.  If you are the script timeout in IIS applies to both ASP and ASPX pages (in IIS 5 it only applies to ASP pages), simply open your admin console and change the script timeout for your virtual directory.

Hope that fixes it.

James

James
My Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.com/blogs/JamesWinters
0
jcw14
5/4/2005 4:07:05 PM

Having gone to look at IIS again, the default HTTP connection timeout is 120s.  Seems to be a candidate as well.

Open IIS Manager > Default Web Site > Properties.  Connection Timeout appears on the Web Site tab.

Cheers

James

James
My Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.com/blogs/JamesWinters
0
jcw14

When runnig Web Service asynchronously
When I try to call web service asynchronousIy I am getting exception from CLR: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced. (During VS.NET debugging the exception is wrapped as: Unable to connect to the remote server) When i call the service synchronously it works perfectly.  The service just convert strings to lower case. I'm using .NET Framework 2.0, here is the source code of form to call the service asynchronously:   Imports localhost Partial Class ChangeStrings Inherits System.Web.UI....

System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
I'm getting this error when hitting a webservice thousands of times for a mass upload. I've researched on the web and added the suggested code but am still getting the error: protected override WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri) { System.Net.HttpWebRequest webRequest = (System.Net.HttpWebRequest)base.GetWebRequest(uri); webRequest.KeepAlive = false; return webRequest; }  Are you receiving it on the client, or on the service?John Saunders | MVP – Connected System Developer...

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
While Calling a web service I am getting following error. This happens when I made some changes in the .asmx file and copy updated web reference (wsdl file) and asmx file on the staging server. Things are working fine in the development environmet. Server Error in '/' Application. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: S...

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

How to call .net web service from Java web application?
Hi all,  I have a vb .net web service.How do i call .net web service from Java web application?What all resources I need?Can you please provide a sample application where a java application is invoking methods of .net web service? Thank you Hi, First I am not familiar with java language, but web services are universal operating system and language independent. It doesn't matter where the services is or in what language is written you just invoke it  and it gives you "replay".  Probably you must reffer to java consuming web services.   Regard...

.NET Web Service and Non .NET programe
When we develop a web service by VB.NET. Then i use visual basic, Microsoft access, asp. Can these stuff access to my web service ? Means you want to access Webserver developed in VB.NET in ASP application?Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

.NET Web Service Proxy (EasySoap vs .NET)
Greetings all, I was provided with a URL for a web service that is password protected. I saved the WSDL file from the browser and am attempting to create a .NET Web Service Proxy to use it. When I select EasySoap for the 'Web Service Selection', I see one service ('Services') and five 'Structures' (which is the number of 'methods' that I am expecting to see). But when I select .NET, I still see one service (named differently) and only one structure. Four of the structures are missing. Is there something else I need to do to view the four ...

.NET CLIENT TO ACCESS a non. NET WEB SERVICE
I develop in .net and need to create a web client to connect to a web service built in Java. http://xchainj.com:8080/axis/services/ScsEnvirodatWaterQualityIndexServiceSoap Its pretty easy when the web service was also built in .net. You can just create a web reference with the gui and automatically can see its functions and stuff. when i put this url in the box and hit go i dont get to see its functions. maybe this shouldnt be the url of the WSDL?? I Have no idea. Im very new to all of this. If there are any examples of .net clients connecting to non .net web clients it woul...

web services calling services simultaneosly problem in .net 2.0
hi i m facing a problemwe are using desktop client and webservices in that client request the a webservice asyncthat remains on server until a specific condition is satisfiedand rest of the web services are called syncronsly these services run on localhost without any problembut if client and server machines are diffrent it hangs the applicationdont knw wht is the reasn and after some time operation has timed out exceptions comelet me tell u one more thingboth the services are using different sessionsthanx in advance for ur help   i have made sample application to test the scnerio...

What do non-.net users need to do to consume a .net web service?
Hello, I'm very new to web service world and haven't had much chance to do much reading on theory and architecture yet. So I'm asked to create one for someone external to my organization (still inside my company). I make one, test it, deploy it, consume it. Go me. It was very easy within my comfortable .net shop. However, the intended consumer is not a .Net shop (J2EE). I was under the impression that if I sent in a GET request to the asmx file, I would get XML back. This turned out to be not the case and I had to use the proxy file to prove that I could consume the service. S...

Web resources about - Exception while calling .NET web service | System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host - asp.net.xml-web-services